• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM card which company?

Anitahk

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to buy a SIM card for about 40 days' use on the Camino. I'll use it either for calls only (just to call albergues), or for both calls and data (for searching sites like Mundicamino and Gronze). I expect the usage level for calls and data to be low. Which company offers the best and cheapest deal for SIM card for calls only, and SIM card for calls and data? and roughly how much do they cost? Grateful for any advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi

I also need a sim with data, on a previous Camino I purchased a prepaid sim from an online reseller, the sim came from HITS mobile it used the Vodafone network, I was very happy with the service both data and calls. However it has expired and can't be recharged, it was about $25 with $5 starting credit, I have reseated options and the Vodafone touris sim @ 15 euro is a great deal, it includes a good amount of data and included calls and can be purchased at most phone shops with passport ID

I recently sought feedback from the forum from people who have used it, their comments were good

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I want to buy a SIM card for about 40 days' use on the Camino. I'll use it either for calls only (just to call albergues), or for both calls and data (for searching sites like Mundicamino and Gronze). I expect the usage level for calls and data to be low. Which company offers the best and cheapest deal for SIM card for calls only, and SIM card for calls and data? and roughly how much do they cost? Grateful for any advice.

Here is a listing of various carriers in Spain.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Thank you for all the answers. I'm now looking at the Vodafone tourist SIM. Does receiving incoming calls count towards the 60 minutes?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For anyone coming from the UK - it is worth checking out 3 - they now include 18 countries in your plan as standard, LINK

It is also worth checking with your provider what rates would be and if they have a special bundle offer, as a lot of EU ones especially do now.

An alternate I should have considered was Lebara (LINK) - 500 National & International minutes + 1 GB data only 15€/Mo
Calls to US - 1ct per min, to UK 1ct landline, 5ct mobile - Full PAYG Tarriff

Hope this helps.

For anyone coming from the UK - it is worth checking out 3 - they now include 18 countries in your plan as standard, LINK

It is also worth checking with your provider what rates would be and if they have a special bundle offer, as a lot of EU ones especially do now.

An alternate I should have considered was Lebara (LINK) - 500 National & International minutes + 1 GB data only 15€/Mo
Calls to US - 1ct per min, to UK 1ct landline, 5ct mobile - Full PAYG Tarriff

Hope this helps.
Hi have just signed up with three due to their Feel at Home deal....no additional charges when using phone abroad in 16 country destinations.......has anyone any experience using three abroad....is it as good as I am expecting?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
vodaphone @ €25 per month is pretty good.
I chose 600 mins , unlimited text and 4GB data for 19 pounds.....don't normally use phone a lot at home.....so am hoping that this with three feel at home, will work ok and be enough to keep me going....not very technically minded so have a lot to learn about phones before I leave in 10 days time......

Hi have just signed up with three due to their Feel at Home deal....no additional charges when using phone abroad in 16 country destinations.......has anyone any experience using three abroad....is it as good as I am expecting?
NOTE - that you have to take a bundle, it does not apply to PAYG

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back