• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

International SIM Cards: Will buying one in Spain work in France?

AmiK

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2022
I have never used a sim card in my phone. If I buy one in Spain, would it work if I then went to France, or would a call within France be considered an international call? And calls to the US , I would guess, would be incredibly expensive? Any other advice? Thanks for enlightening me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @AmiK ,
It depends on your service and carrier what the cost is using your current service. You may want to check that first. Then there are several threads on here about getting a Sim card and the pros and cons of which country. I usually just use the service from my carrier in the US so I can keep my number the same for my family at home, but many people find it cheaper to get a Sim card in Spain.

There is a TON of information on this forum about SIM cards. If you do a search, you will find it in previous posts. What you will learn is that you need to do a little research first. Is your phone unlocked? If it isn't, you need to get it unlocked first. Are you interested in phone calls/SMS texts, or do you really want data for WhatsApp, Messenger, Instagram, etc, etc?

By law, any euro phone will make calls and SMS texts in any country of the EU, so a phone in Spain will work in France. This is not necessarily true for the data portion, which may or may not roam to other countries outside of the SIM's home country. It depends upon the SIM's terms and conditions, so make sure to check this out.

As for calling the US, every SIM will have its own pricing model. Some tourist SIMS off a fairly cheap bucket of calling minutes to country code +1, others do not. Some SIMs can be topped up after 30 days, some can not. Some will let you add data, some do not. Before you go shopping, figure out what you really plan to use the phone for. While you are thinking about this, lots of Spanish albergues have moved to using WhatsApp to communicate with you about reservations and checkins. You may want to install this before you go. While you're at it, you will realize that you can call anyone from anywhere on WhatsApp ( as long as they have it too!) for just the cost of the data it takes, which is minimal. You can even do this over WiFi from your albergue without having a SIM card at all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Rick. I want to use it in the EU countries mostly for reservations etc., and occasional calls to the US. I do have an unlocked phone and WhatsApp, but unfortunately many of my (US) friends don't (yeah, I know!), so SMS access is important, too, and I'll definitely check on that. And check this forum. Thanks for your input. Ami

Hi J. Willhaus, My service for international calls is ridiculously expensive, so I'm going to check the posts here on the forum for sim cards. But you did answer a question I forgot to ask, about the personal number. I had a feeling you can't keep it with a sim card. Thank you for your input. Ami

I used to have T-Mobile and there were no additional charges in Europe for data and only a small cost for calls. Now we have ATT (since we moved to a location where there is no T-Mobile service) and it was about $250 per month total for both my husband and I to keep our home service while in Spain last summer. For one person/phone $150 per month, but with the second line it was slightly less. It is so much per day up to a cap each month.

Depending on where you start your Camino, if you want a Spanish card you have to wait until Pamplona (if you fly into France). That is the first big city where Sim cards would be available. We always fly into Madrid now so it is easier to get a Spanish sim card. as @Rick M mentions, there are limitations with all the plans. You can read through the threads and see all the variations.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never used a sim card in my phone.
Maybe you know this, but some might not. For clarity, you probably do have a SIM card in your phone. I think what you are saying is that you have never changed your SIM card when you travel. You just have used the SIM card that the phone service provider installed when you bought your phone service. That card identifies you with your phone number. You really don't need to be aware of it for use at home.

If you want to get a Spanish number and plan, in order to reduce long distance/roaming costs, you will need to change to a Spanish SIM card. When you go home, you would just switch the old one back.

Many newer phones use an "e-SIM card" that is built into the phone and they also have a slot for a second physical SIM card so you can switch between 2 service providers and numbers .

Thanks, Rick. I want to use it in the EU countries mostly for reservations etc., and occasional calls to the US. I do have an unlocked phone and WhatsApp, but unfortunately many of my (US) friends don't (yeah, I know!), so SMS access is important, too, and I'll definitely check on that. And check this forum. Thanks for your input. Ami
Pick one up anywhere when you land. You want talk and text plus data, not just a "Data Only" SIM, which will give you a french or spanish phone number. Tell them all the countries you want it to work in. If you are staying longer than 30 days, make sure you can top it up, and ask exactly HOW to top it up. You might want to buy a top up voucher at the same time, and save it until you need it. Make sure they set your phone up, and that it works before you leave the shop. Most people are puzzled by APN settings, but the clerk in the shop won't be. Other than that, the network provider doesn't matter, they all work. Make your choice on the price, and the rates for calls home as well as the size of the data bundle and top-ups.

I have never used a sim card in my phone. If I buy one in Spain, would it work if I then went to France, or would a call within France be considered an international call? And calls to the US , I would guess, would be incredibly expensive? Any other advice? Thanks for enlightening me.
Suggest start by finding a friendly teenager to discuss how phones work and what options there are for SIMs.

If you want to speak to friends in the US who are on WhatsApp, do so over WhatsApp on a wifi connection. Free of charge.

Mainland Europe is pretty much like the US (Dear God has it come to this?) in that a SIM will work between countries (think:States) seamlessly.

Prices in the states for ‘international anything’ are exorbitant. Not so the other way round.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took an old phone and bought a $20 SIM card in Lisbon when we did the Camino Portuguese last spring. It was good for four weeks, got us through Portugal, Spain and France. The beauty of using an old phone is you don't mess with your current phone. I carried both in case of emergency at home they could call me current phone and yet they could have contacted me via text on my old phone since had access to everything on my current phone, text, contacts mail, texting etc. Hope this helps.

For what it's worth, I've used Skype to call family and friends that do not use Whatsapp. The cost to call their regular phones using Skype credit is pennies per minute. The only issue is that they need to be aware that the call will be from an unknown number. Otherwise, I've used Movistar sim cards in Spain and Vodafone on the Via Fracigena with good results.

I used to have T-Mobile and there were no additional charges in Europe for data and only a small cost for calls. Now we have ATT (since we moved to a location where there is no T-Mobile service) and it was about $250 per month total for both my husband and I to keep our home service while in Spain last summer. For one person/phone $150 per month, but with the second line it was slightly less. It is so much per day up to a cap each month.

Depending on where you start your Camino, if you want a Spanish card you have to wait until Pamplona (if you fly into France). That is the first big city where Sim cards would be available. We always fly into Madrid now so it is easier to get a Spanish sim card. as @Rick M mentions, there are limitations with all the plans. You can read through the threads and see all the variations.
This. 🙏🙏🙏 I cannot begin to describe the trouble we had, having purchased a SIM card in SJPP and trying to get it to work properly as a hotspot for my husband's phone. Finally ended up buying a new card in Burgos. #WishIHadKnown

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I always buy a sim card in Spain when I arrive. I now use Vodafone as it is so easy to recharge. I usually accept the new Spanish number that I get. I don't lose any contacts and when I am on the camino I only speak with my wife and kids on Whatsapp anyway. I get plenty of data. I think I paid 15 Euros for unlimited calls (not to the United States and I think 30 or 40 gigas. I was told I could use my phone anywhere in Europe. It was really easy and they do everything for you to set up your phone in the store. When I get on the plane to go home I take out the sim card and put my sim card in my phone. Easy as can be.

If you have a newer phone you might be able to get an e SIM card which you simply download into your phone. No need to physically switch one in. I did that last fall and used it in France and Portugal. With Orange it’s good all over Europe. Check into it online and see if your phone is compatible and how much it costs. Good luck!

I had the exact same question when I did my first camino this fall. I used What's app for calls home, every night and it was free in wifi. I purchased a vodaphone SIM card in Pamplona and it was all I needed. I used 140 gb of data in 4 weeks which cost 40 euros at the time. They will tell you that you don't need so much data, but it was the plan that worked for me. I did stream some music on my phone when I was walking but only occasionally. It was rechargeable after the 4 weeks and I was able to recharge on the day the card expired. I didn't go to France at all so I'm not sure how it would work there.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do have an unlocked phone and WhatsApp, but unfortunately many of my (US) friends don't

You can use Skype phone to call friends or anyone anywhere - very cheap - eg calls from Australia to US = $2 per hour

Thanks, Rita. I have never used Skype for phone calls. Maybe I'll try it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had the exact same question when I did my first camino this fall. I used What's app for calls home, every night and it was free in wifi. I purchased a vodaphone SIM card in Pamplona and it was all I needed. I used 140 gb of data in 4 weeks which cost 40 euros at the time. They will tell you that you don't need so much data, but it was the plan that worked for me. I did stream some music on my phone when I was walking but only occasionally. It was rechargeable after the 4 weeks and I was able to recharge on the day the card expired. I didn't go to France at all so I'm not sure how it would work there.
Were you able to top up your card through their app or website? I used Orange in 2021 and I had to find a physical store to top up as their app and website would not accept my Canadian CC. I'm trying to plan ahead for my Camino in autumn and trying to figure out the best options. TYIA

Were you able to top up your card through their app or website? I used Orange in 2021 and I had to find a physical store to top up as their app and website would not accept my Canadian CC. I'm trying to plan ahead for my Camino in autumn and trying to figure out the best options. TYIA
Yes on the day it expired I received a text from vodaphone asking if I wanted to add data and I used my Visa card to do it. When I purchased the card initially they told me at the vodaphone store that I would have to find a bank, gas station or grocery store where I could recharge it. So I was pleased to get the text and not have to go looking for a bank, gas station or grocery store on the Camino. I am not sure why they couldn't tell me that from the start. But I stopped at vodaphone store in Leon and I got the same story.

……. calls to the US , I would guess, would be incredibly expensive? Any other advice?
the plan I use in Australia- (Vodafone)-
My plan allows me to use it internationally for an additional $au5 /day on top of my monthly plan fee. (That’s only $us3 ) I don’t need to register or do anything / it’s just added to my monthly bill for the days only - that I’ve used my home number. I usually use this for the one or two days until I am able to buy a Spanish ‘physical sim card’. They are so cheap. I’ll try to find a photo I took of the prices.
I would also use ‘wifi’ where possible.

Once I buy this sim - I’ve found I’d rather use it (stacks on it) than fiddle about with wifi /. Previous walks have been remote and it’s sometimes like pulling teeth to obtain a wifi code (not everywhere admittedly). Also sometimes having to use your camera to log onto their icon to obtain their wifi. Easier with your own sim from home or Spanish sim.
Many newer phones use an "e-SIM card" that is built into the phone and they also have a slot for a second physical SIM card so you can switch between 2 service providers and numbers .
This was what I did in oct/Nov 2022. My new phone uses the esim for home. I visited Vodafone in Almeria and they put the physical Spanish sim into the slot in my phone. They last 28 days. Either drop back into another Vodafone store or do the ‘top up’ online. Just make sure you’re familiar with your phone selection to switch/toggle from one to the other (I mean if you have ESim and physical. ). Once I had the physical sim I stayed with it until I toggled back before boarding flight at Madrid for home.
If you want to speak to friends in the US who are on WhatsApp, do so over WhatsApp on a wifi connection. Free of charge.

The included international call minutes are huge. I have family and friends who don’t have phones with capacity to call me. So I’ve spent a lot of time ringing home in oz or relatives in USA with the 800 free international minutes included (on plan M I purchased for cost of 15E. ). You can get even more !!!! than that for a few euros extra. Very hard to beat.
The coverage of Vodafone I found excellent. I knew that in the particular area on the Mozárabe (in the mountains between La Peza and Quentar / before Granada) that there would be ‘almost ‘ nil signal on mobiles - Of course that is where I needed to call for help but fortunately some Granada mountain cyclists arrived and knew that at certain points you can get signal - so kept trying.
I’d always go with Vodafone.

Attachments

• 7045C27C-FBD4-4395-8BC2-2AC2F8F2819A.jpeg
    7045C27C-FBD4-4395-8BC2-2AC2F8F2819A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 4544A050-8C94-4406-90F6-51E567B14B11.jpeg
    4544A050-8C94-4406-90F6-51E567B14B11.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes on the day it expired I received a text from vodaphone asking if I wanted to add data and I used my Visa card to do it. When I purchased the card initially they told me at the vodaphone store that I would have to find a bank, gas station or grocery store where I could recharge it. So I was pleased to get the text and not have to go looking for a bank, gas station or grocery store on the Camino. I am not sure why they couldn't tell me that from the start. But I stopped at vodaphone store in Leon and I got the same story.
Excellent! Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.