• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM cards in France

Renate

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-October 2015
We are planning to walk the LePuy route and are wondering if anyone can recommend which SIM card provider has the best coverage and where the cards are available. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Free-Mobile, which had a super cheap international plan so I could call home (Canada) at no extra charge with unlimited minutes. I'm not sure where you can buy their SIMs outside Paris though. Orange has slightly higher prices but their stores are everywhere. I wrote a bit more detail here

Bon Chemin!

I bought mine at a post office in France and it worked well.
Important: You are required to register your SIM card by mail (form is included and you need to send in a copy of your passport) to keep it working. In 2014 you had 2 weeks to do this, might be shorter now.
Bon Chemin, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On three visits I have had to go to an Orange boutique to obtain one at which time my passport was copied. This is what SYates mentioned. French security mandates this, I believe. Once you have the card it can be reloaded (more time added) at any tabac (tobacco/newspaper shop).

The card is valid for six months and I have tried to reload the card online with a five euro purchase so that the card's life is extended another six months and to avoid going back to Orange to start all over again, but my U.S. credit cards would not work. French security again, I believe.

Hi Renate,
Orange was for a long time the only operator in France and it is still the only one to build and maintain the whole telecommunication network. That's why their prices are more expensive, but it's also supposed to be a guarantee to be able to use your phone in remote areas. It's operator n.1 in France.
When cell phones were born and ever since then, many other operators came out:
3 of then have their own network: SFR, Bouygues and Free. Their coverage is fine, but can be random depending where you are. Where SFR and Bouygues don't have their network, their card won't work. Free uses Orange's network when their own isn't available.
The rest of the operators are renting the 4 others' networks.
So, I'd advise you get a main operator's card. I use Bouygues but strongly advise against it on Le Puy route: the coverage is quite bad. I'm not sure but I guess SFR would be pretty much the same. This leaves you with Orange and Free, the main and oldest operator vs. the "fresh" and low-cost one. I have no experience with these, but I think if you want the highest assurance of coverage, go with Orange. I guess (?) Free would be ok too as they eventually switch to Orange's network, and it is always possible to ask and call from one accommodation to another. Both have fine international services. I guess it's on how you intend to use your phone...

You can get a card in the 4 main operator's shops, in any good-size city. There are obviously "heavier" procedures there (though, not sure it's heavier only for foreigners!)... Post office do sell cards too, like SYates said, as well as many tobacco/newspaper shops. They do reloading as well.
I think a post office or a tobacco/newspaper will do it fine. Le Puy is a big enough city to get a card in either an operator's/tob.-news shop/post office. I event think you may (?) be able to get a card in some souvenirs shop...

And, little bonus, to call from abroad to France, start with 00 33, skip the first 0 of the nuber and dial the rest: 0033 x xx xx xx xx ;)

Bon Chemin! :)

full

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didn't have to register my pre-loaded SIM by mail or in any way. I bought it out of a self-serve machine with my credit card. I did need to show my passport however, which I think it true for any SIM purchase in Europe.

Just back from walking Via Gebenennsis and bought a 10 Euro Sim card with 10 Euros credit. Forgot which company. I never managed to register my identity on the stupid thing. It chewed through the credit while I tried to do do. I gave up in the end and put my New Zealand prepay card back in and used WiFi when available for free. Phoned family with Facebook messenger, blogged etc.
Didn't need to make local calls anyway.

Many thanks for all the detailed input! Much appreciated. I think we'll go for Orange, as it sounds like the most reliable option (and despite varied luck with it in Spain).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back