• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sim Cards

Annie25a

Time of past OR future Camino
hi Friends
Has anyone used Covermore Global SIM ?

I'm looking for a SIM with mostly DATA use (maybe occasionally call ahead for accommodation?)

So confused right now

Will be away for 11 weeks
So France/Spain/Ireland/ UK

Bien Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm. I use a Spanish Sim card (Orange) in Spain, but this year I'm going to the UK and northern Europe as well. About to do some research now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm. I use a Spanish Sim card (Orange) in Spain, but this year I'm going to the UK and northern Europe as well. About to do some research now.
Thanks Kanga
Any views on reviews would be appreciated

This little Aussie can't wait 17 Sleeps

We've used LeFrenchMobile in France. It was easy, but I have no idea how it compares in terms of cost. I find phone plans and costs impossible to decipher.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmm. I use a Spanish Sim card (Orange) in Spain, but this year I'm going to the UK and northern Europe as well.

If the UK is your first stop on the right-side-up then it might be worth considering a pre-paid SIM from the UK network Three. If you buy any of their calls/data bundles you can use them at the same rates and conditions in most European countries. Any calls or data beyond the allowance currently have a capped roaming charge outside the EU but that will cease to apply this summer. After that there will be a single set of charges anywhere in the EU: 3p per minute for calls, 2p per SMS text, and 1p per MB for data. I've found it a useful and reliable service.

I only have one hour in transit in Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Then straight on to Madrid. I think my Spanish Orange Sim will still be valid, just needing a top-up, so that works for Spain.

After Spain I'm meeting my husband in the UK, and from there we will be travelling in Europe, in EU countries. I want to be able to make telephone calls locally, to book accommodation, to receive international text messages, as well as to use data for internet access. I see on the Three website that changes are occurring on 1 July, but we'll be gone by then.

I do think he can do the research - something to keep him busy while I'm walking!

I am flying into Paris. Can I get an Orange Sim card there or do I need to wait until I get to Spain? I have an Iphone 5 with an AT & T plan.

Another option is to purchase an international plan with AT&T. Does anyone have experience with this company in Spain?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sorry, I can't help with information about phones on plans from the US. My phone is an unlocked, unlinked one. The Orange sim I purchased in Spain. Cheap as chips and easy to top up at any small store or supermarket.

I'm looking for a SIM with mostly DATA use
I suggest a Spanish SIM chip for Spain. It is quite inexpensive. I don't know if it will work outside Spain and Portugal (it won't work in France). I still found it cheapest and most reliable to use separate SIM chips in each country. There is not a lot of cooperation in cell service. A Vodafone account in the UK does not work for Vodafone in Spain, for example!!!

Be careful of the Vodaphone sim card in Spain. When I was there in 2013 I would receive several texts each day telling me how much I had left on it. The value was going down every time I got a text from them and there was no way of stopping it. I then learnt I could use WiFi in bars and cafés (do buy a drink etc when there coz it's a bit rude to just go and use it) and very often the staff will call ahead for you to book accom.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can buy the Three SIM card on ebay before you go. You can also buy Spanish Orange SIM cards on ebay but you pay a premium. For value the Three SIM is better and will have better coverage but the trade-off is only 3.5G rather than 4G. If you want someone to sort it out for you, the first place you can go in to a shop is Pamplona. I would recommend Freemovil https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona/https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona/ just off the main square in Pamplona. They are independent and will help you get setup. The GPS coordinates if you want to look them up on Google Earth or Google Maps is 42.816153, -1.641764.

I only have one hour in transit in Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Then straight on to Madrid. I think my Spanish Orange Sim will still be valid, just needing a top-up, so that works for Spain.

After Spain I'm meeting my husband in the UK, and from there we will be travelling in Europe, in EU countries. I want to be able to make telephone calls locally, to book accommodation, to receive international text messages, as well as to use data for internet access. I see on the Three website that changes are occurring on 1 July, but we'll be gone by then.

I do think he can do the research - something to keep him busy while I'm walking!

The only thing wrong with Three UK is that you can't hotspot devices. Annoying but otherwise it's a great service with great rates in the EU.

On the pre-pay Three UK card I used last year I was able to hotspot several times to allow friends make whatsapp calls home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can buy the Three SIM card on ebay before you go. You can also buy Spanish Orange SIM cards on ebay but you pay a premium. For value the Three SIM is better and will have better coverage but the trade-off is only 3.5G rather than 4G. If you want someone to sort it out for you, the first place you can go in to a shop is Pamplona. I would recommend Freemovil https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona/https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona/ just off the main square in Pamplona. They are independent and will help you get setup. The GPS coordinates if you want to look them up on Google Earth or Google Maps is 42.816153, -1.641764.
Thank you so much for this information
Bien Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.