• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Simcard

Good morning fellow pilgrims. We're doing the coastal Portuguese route in May/june this year and I wonder if anyone knows which sim card I can buy for my phone to cover both Portugal and Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any of the local phone networks SIM cards will work in both countries. Since both are within the EU roaming charges no longer apply and you will be able to use a Portuguese SIM in Spain at the network's normal domestic rates. Topping up a Portuguese SIM while in Spain may be difficult though so it might be wise to make sure that you have added enough credit or bought an adequate voice/text/data allowance while still in Portugal.

We flew into Porto and purchased our SIM cards at a Vodafone before we left the airport. They were very helpful and switched out the cards for us. I believe we bought the basic service for each of our phones, or about €20 for each card. That plan lasted the full two weeks that we were in Portugal and Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I bought a spanish sim and it works very well. It is a lycamobile and I use it for data and voice in Spain. It works well with low cost in others country.

Good morning fellow pilgrims. We're doing the coastal Portuguese route in May/june this year and I wonder if anyone knows which sim card I can buy for my phone to cover both Portugal and Spain.
Just a suggestion. Before you go buy the cheapest sim card you can find ($15.00 est) and give it a try. Confirms that your phone is unlocked and gives you a chance to practice replacing sim card with no pressure from home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are planning on using an "Unlocked GSM" phone... it is a little more complicated, especially if you want to use data. You will need to check what frequencies (bands) your phone supports. Then you will need to check what bands the different carriers are using.

FYI... the big carriers (Voda, Orange...) use Bands 3 & 7 for LTE, while Yoigo uses only Band 3 for LTE.

Yes, it might seem complicated, but luckily there is a website to make it easy... https://www.frequencycheck.com/

NOTE: make sure you enter your exact model number (i.e. I have an LG v30, but they have several different models that support different bands) If you have an Android phone, just go to Settings--> About Phone -->Hardware Info and you can find the model number.

ALSO... if you are in the US, you might consider this sim card. I used this one last year & it worked GREAT... 6GB and good for 90 days for $29!!!! NOTE: this is data ONLY. (I used a VOIP app for my calls/texts i.e. Viber, Skype...) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013EBUPDI/?tag=casaivar02-20

You might also checkout this sim card... 12GB data+3000 minutes+3000 texts for 30 days (NOTE: I have not used this one, but it seems pretty good) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FI1JW72/?tag=casaivar02-20

Hope this helps!!

Cheers,

-jj

I have never traveled with a phone on any of my five Camino walks. I take a 7" tablet and use the free wifi.
If you have to have a phone due to business I guess that is another matter.
I make a point to stay off my tablet, only using it to send a few emails to my kids.
I really focus on meeting and talking to fellow walkers versus blogging, face booking or sending pictures to people who mostly don't care or have any idea what a Camino walk is.
My annual Camino is a chance to be mostly unplugged from the world. It is a great feeling.
I guess the only modern technology I am guilty of using when walking is my digital camera.

My last 2 trips to Spain I've pre-purchased SIM cards and had them shipped so that I had them prior to arriving. The first card company worked well and we've used it in several countries, but expensive. The second trip and our fist Camino, I opted for a much cheaper option through that online place simcardspain.es, and it was a total waste of money. I barely connected while on the Primitivo and within days it was telling me that I was out of data and asking for money. I had data turned off and only made a few short call to book albergues. I ended spending probably over $60 in top ups. Total disaster.
So this April I plan to wait until I get to Spain and buy a card from a local shop. I assume that it will be easy to find a kiosk or store after arriving in Barajas airport or at the Chamartin station. I'd really like to have a phone working prior to taking the long train ride to Ponferrada. If not, I'll get one there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are planning on using an "Unlocked GSM" phone... it is a little more complicated, especially if you want to use data. You will need to check what frequencies (bands) your phone supports. Then you will need to check what bands the different carriers are using.

FYI... the big carriers (Voda, Orange...) use Bands 3 & 7 for LTE, while Yoigo uses only Band 3 for LTE.

Yes, it might seem complicated, but luckily there is a website to make it easy... https://www.frequencycheck.com/

NOTE: make sure you enter your exact model number (i.e. I have an LG v30, but they have several different models that support different bands) If you have an Android phone, just go to Settings--> About Phone -->Hardware Info and you can find the model number.

ALSO... if you are in the US, you might consider this sim card. I used this one last year & it worked GREAT... 6GB and good for 90 days for $29!!!! NOTE: this is data ONLY. (I used a VOIP app for my calls/texts i.e. Viber, Skype...) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013EBUPDI/?tag=casaivar02-20

You might also checkout this sim card... 12GB data+3000 minutes+3000 texts for 30 days (NOTE: I have not used this one, but it seems pretty good) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FI1JW72/?tag=casaivar02-20

Hope this helps!!

Cheers,

-jj
@JJinWI Did you by Skype credits or the monthly subscription? I’m going to need to make calls within Spain and then while in Ireland will probably need to make 1 or 2 quick calls within Ireland. Advice?

Last edited:
We will be walking the Primitivo in September and October this year. Our overall trip is a few days over 30 days. I see that most phone cards with data seem to expire after 30 days. Is anyone aware of a phone/data card for France, UK and Spain that will stay alive for say 38 days? I can get an overseas Ekit sim card without data that allows on line top up virtually for ever, but this does not include data as far as I can see. Any ideas? I don't want to buy a second data card along the way if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back