• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Simple guide/map to Del Norte

Rajy62

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013, Norte/primitivo 2014, vdlp (2015)
Hi,
I am planning to walk 'el Norte' between Mid May-June time frame. When i did the Francis last year the most convenient guide/map i keep going back to was the Michellin's route-map/guide which was similar to John Brierley's short guide. Is there a similar route-map/guide to del norte via primitivo?

Thanks
/Raj

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Raj,
I am doing the Norte/Primitivo mid May and June also, and have been on the look out for a simple guide/map book also. I got the loan of a book from a guy who has walked these routes before, the book is The Northern Caminos by Laura Perazzoli and Dave Whitson. Its a fairly detailed book, but quite heavy to be honest but I will probably take it with me. The CSJ also have booklets but I haven't seen them, don't think they have maps, just details of albergues...etc.
Like yourself I done French route last year and now will do Norte, I will arrive in Irun on 21 May....maybe see you en route!!!
Buen Camino
Aidan:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you seen the suggestions for Norte maps in this earlier Forum thread ?

MM
Thanks MM. From that thread, I was able to pull the guide published by the Tourism board. It is a detailed guide book. The rest of the links they had were inaccessible....

What i liked about a short map guides from e.g John Brierley is that it focuses on three things detailed route, terrain profile and list of accommodation. Those are the most useful things i need.
If i don't find similar brief guides, i will just copy each stage off of the Mundicamino website. Thanks

Raj......http://www.gronze.com/ is another website I found with lots of detail on Norte and Primitivo routes, hope this helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Aiden,
I am planning to start around the same time, might see you on the trail.
I saw a CSJ guide "Pilgrim Guides to Spain: A Ruta De La Costa: Los Caminos Del Norte", but delivery will take too long so i am thinking of taking a snapshot of the various stages off of the Mundicamino web site, they have all the details one would need. Buen Camino
This is just the outline about the Caminos. The guides themselves are Ruta de la Costa A, guides 1 & 2 for the whole Norte, and F (Primitivo) from Villaviciosa. We combined these with reference to gronze and also to David's book. We found gronze's elevations and distances to be most accurate of the online guides.
Buen Camino

After reviewing various online guides and the member responses, i am getting the "The Northern Caminos: Norte, Primitivo and Inglés" by Dave Whitson,Laura Perazzoli.
My favourite short maps are from Mundicamino site. Lucky for me, someone already compiled the maps/elevation details of the various stages of Norte/primitivo into a document. That is why i love this forum. There is also a alberque list, it is from 2009 but would give a good start. I attach them here for your convenience.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

/Raj

Attachments

• NorteAlberques.pdf
    353.8 KB · Views: 52
  • NortePrimitivo.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
Hi, Yes i like how detailed the gronze site is. They also have an uptodate Alberque list, updated in 2014 that could come in handy. Mundicamino maps however shows on its elevation chart, the villages that has Albergues, making it easier to plan for alternate accommodation. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be taking the Northern Caminos guidebook on my upcoming camino and also received the CSJ books and their Primitivo guide(we may go that way).
My question to all you knowledgeable folk is , is there any benefit in me taking them as well? Don't mind carrying them if they may stop me getting lost.:)

I will be taking the Northern Caminos guidebook on my upcoming camino and also received the CSJ books and their Primitivo guide(we may go that way).
My question to all you knowledgeable folk is , is there any benefit in me taking them as well? Don't mind carrying them if they may stop me getting lost.:)

Hi, It depends. When i did the camino francis last year, i also prepared a lot in advance; pdf copies of guides and maps on my smartphone and a detailed guide etc. The only guide book i would go back to every day is a short map/elevation guide by Michellin. I would use them to plan my day ahead (Alberques, distances, stops etc.). Most people i met who had the detailed guidebook complained about the heavy guides they were carrying. On the other hand some people love to read and understand every bit of details about the trail and would follow the detailed guide meticulously. I mostly like to talk to the locals to get advise on the next stage and book an albergue, ship my luggage and just follow the Yellow marks.
So, if you are the type of person needs to know every detail beforehand, i would say bring all your guides. You can prepare each stage by combining the info. Once you get the hang of it you will fall back onto simple maps.
Buen camino

Thanks Raj, I may just take them I guess I can post them home if not useful. I am a planner...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We didn't need all the routes in the Northern Caminos book and did not want to cut it up so we took the CSJ guides, cutting out the parts we knew we would not need and adding in notes from the book. If weight is an issue you can ditch pages at stops along the route, although we chose to make notes and bring ours home to give add on/alteration notes to CSJ. We still have a good copy of the Northern Caminos book which we will use again next year. The CSJ guides may well stop you getting lost with the extra detail that they have so it is a question of which combination suits you best.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.