• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Simplest way to get to SJPP from Houston?

biped

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept (2017)
I plan to walk the CF starting this fall. It will be my first time, & from what I gather from this forum there are several routes to SJPP. Can anyone offer advice on the simplest way that would not involve a lot of changing? I'll be traveling from Houston. Better to go via CDG? What city is best to connect to for the the return trip? Once I can purchase tickets & know the arrangements are made, I don't think I'll be so nervous about it! Thanks in advance for any advice!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took a plane to Madrid, a train to San Sebastian, and a bus to SJPP. Not the most planned itinerary but it worked.

Not sure this would work for you .....
We are going LAX to Barcelona.
Barcelona to Pamplona by train (6hrs)
Bus from train to large bus station (15min)
Bus to St. Jean. (2hrs)

A full day of travel, we are taking a very early train.
Spending 2 nights in Barcelona and 2 nights in St. Jean so we can acclimate to the time change and eat a lot of tapas in Barcelona.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've only flown into Madrid, and did so because I had been there before and was slightly familiar with it, and I have a friend there that kept my extra suitcase with pre and post Camino clothing. Also, it's pretty easy to get back to Madrid by train from just about anywhere along the Camino.

If you are only bringing your backpack, you could get a multi-city ticket and fly into Paris and home from Madrid.

I forgot to mention that I'm taking the train from Madrid to Pamplona, then taxi to St Jean this year. Last year I did the Corazon Puro option, but it's not available any longer. :(

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A few choices, but, flying into CDG or ORY and then catch a short, regional plane hop to Biarritz. From Biarritz, one can take the train or taxi or shuttle to St Jean Pied de Port. If you want to take the shuttle, Express Bourricot is a good option: http://www.expressbourricot.com/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It seems like the fastest and easiest from Houston to Paris is either via JFK or Istanbul (15-18hrs). If you fly to Paris, the fastest option would be taking the train to Bayonne. Some trains need to be changed in Bordeaux.

If you fly to Madrid connections are longer (approx.10hrs), more complicated, with more layovers and more expensive but OTOH you also have to add the cost of train from Paris to that, cheaper, air fare. From Madrid there are plenty options to get to SJPdP, most of them already mentioned. But there are also direct Iberia flights from Madrid to Biarritz.

One other option. Consider flying to London and from there (Stansted) with direct Ryanair flight to Biarritz. There are still offers as low as 23€ for this August. Some flights with just one stop from Houston to Stansted via Orlando (13hrs).

For return you have numerous options from Santiago but count on 3-4 stops for cheaper tickets and at least 2 stops for more expensive ones.

I'm using skyscanner.com for searching. Hope this helps a little.

Check out Ryan Air's website for very cheap flights. I spent hours (!) trying to get the cheapest/ best connections in September. I switched between Google Flights, Expedia's +/- 3 days option and SkyScanner. I'm going from the mid-US through NYC (I think it's LaGuardia), then Madrid. I'll prob fly from Madrid to Bayonne/ Biarritz via Ryan Air. It was cheaper to fly into France, but I want a day or two to jet lag and France is expensive. Taking that into account, Madrid vs. Paris seemed to be a wash as far as price goes. I'll see Madrid for a day or so, and hopefully get to see Barcelona at the end of my trip. Flying internationally to Barcelona from the US was much more expensive.

Oh, and you might look into flying through Dublin; Ryan Air seems to originate there.
One other thing: I figured flying back to Madrid after Santiago would be easier than trying to get back to Paris or Dublin. If I can't get a flight whenever my camino ends, then I can take the train or bus to Madrid. I padded a few extra days into the trip for exactly that reason.

Last edited:
This is my trip tomorrow, traveling from Monterrey Mexico ( near Houston) 9:30 -11 am Monterrey- Mexico city Iberia
13:05- 6:30 am next day Mex- Madrid non stop Iberia
9:05-10 Madrid-Pamplona by Air Nostrum
10:30-12:30 taxi Pamplona-SJPP

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it were me and I was looking for the least hassle, I'd fly to Madrid, then bus to Pamplona from T4 at the Madrid airport. If you don't opt to stay overnight in Pamplona for jetlag relief, you could taxi to Zubiri from the Pamplona bus terminal. There is a bus from Pamplona to SJPP, but I'm not sure if it stops at Zubiri because my memory fades after four years.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back