• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Simply jumping into the abyss...

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
So, then it's done: I just ordered a flight ticket for April 23 to Barcelona. I do not want to sit here anymore procrastinating: I am GOING. I have no further plans: I do not know where I shall start, other than that I hope I can get to SJpdP: It seems sort of right. But if it is Pamplona/Roncesvalles, I can live with that too.

I simply wanted to force myself to set a start date, and so I have done right now. The beauty of not planning too much, but simply just do it, go, and see where it will lead you, appeals to me.

So what do I need to do now? Well, I arrrive in Barcelona late evening, so better get a hotel room near the airport. I have no clue but it will sort out, I think. Then into the city next morning. Or maybe a room inside the city, late arrival. Maybe stay there for a day, or preferably just take the bus to Pamplona (5 hours), and coordinate the rest from there. I don't know.

So, it seems I will start from SJpdP on April 26 or 27, or Pamplona 25th. I really don't know or care: come what may.

I like the feeling of doing something not planned/calculated: I will go with the flow. Need to get out my backpack and sew on the badges that Ivar sent to me, so you'll recognize me as a forum guy ;) Now it's for real and impossible to change. Thank God.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Barcelona you only need to go as far as Jaca. Walk the Aragonese. Ease yourself into the Camino Frances scene that way. It is a beautiful, neglected route, it needs some love!
I may just do that, thanks!

See you this summer, maybe?
Rebekah, you have been on my list all the time. Prepare some work for me, and I will spend some days. You deserve it.

BTW: Enjoyed your book.

Ahhh: There is ONE thing I shall avoid this year: Speed. You will meet a slow peregrino, spending his days smelling the grass, looking at the scenery, and thinking a lot :) Most of you will catch up with me, and I shall enjoy our conversation and cooking together!:D

In Sahagun, in 2009, I bought a beautilful small silver cross piece with chain that I wore around my neck for the whole journey. I wore it also on my two etapas on the Via de la Plata. A symbol of my walks, thoughts, wants, and needs. I just put it on again tonight, and I am VERY ready now... It will now stay on me until I am back from the Camino again (at least).

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is one of the best threads I've seen in months. I admire how much you "don't know." Thank you for the honesty.

Perhaps the hard part is over.

Fully excited for you.

¡Salud peregrino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I may just do that, thanks!

Rebekah, you have been on my list all the time. Prepare some work for me, and I will spend some days. You deserve it.

BTW: Enjoyed your book.

Ahhh: There is ONE thing I shall avoid this year: Speed. You will meet a slow peregrino, spending his days smelling the grass, looking at the scenery, and thinking a lot :) Most of you will catch up with me, and I shall enjoy our conversation and cooking together!:D

In Sahagun, in 2009, I bought a beautilful small silver cross piece with chain that I wore around my neck for the whole journey. I wore it also on my two etapas on the Via de la Plata. A symbol of my walks, thoughts, wants, and needs. I just put it on again tonight, and I am VERY ready now... It will now stay on me until I am back from the Camino again (at least).

So inspiring. Cannot wait. Will be there as well at this time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Alex, that sounds great! Unfortunately my return flight has to be booked - visa requirement - however I have 40 days for the camino and I plan to walk as unplanned as possible!
Buen Camino:)

So what do I need to do now? Well, I arrrive in Barcelona late evening, so better get a hotel room near the airport. I have no clue but it will sort out, I think. Then into the city next morning. Or maybe a room inside the city, late arrival. Maybe stay there for a day, or preferably just take the bus to Pamplona (5 hours), and coordinate the rest from there. I don't know.

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/all_about/barcelona_airport_bcn/getting_there

How late are you arriving? The link shows how late the buses/train into the city run. No point really staying in the airport area.

I shall avoid this year: Speed. You will meet a slow peregrino, spending his days smelling the grass, looking at the scenery, and thinking a lot :) Most of you will catch up with me, and I shall enjoy our conversation and cooking together!:D

I shall be the one you overtake, Alex!
Please let us all know how you get on with that camino - not really heard of it before. Is it well way-marked?
This year I'm doing both 'legs' of the Ingles, but am already thinging about 2015. This 'bug' never seems to leave you, does it?!?
Oh - and I enjoyed Rebekah's book, too! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is one of the best threads I've seen in months. I admire how much you "don't know." Thank you for the honesty.

Perhaps the hard part is over.

Fully excited for you.

¡Salud peregrino!

I totally agree with the comment above, the hard part is over, at least thats how i feel, iv booked it, I'm doing it, i don't know how i will cope with it, i don't know where i'll sleep eat or drink for the following 50/60 days, but i don't care HOLA and Beun Camino to you and all you meet along, your way .

So, then it's done: I just ordered a flight ticket for April 23 to Barcelona. I do not want to sit here anymore procastinating: I am GOING. I have no further plans: I do not know where I shall start, other than that I hope I can get to SJpdP: It seems sort of right. But if it is Pamplona/Roncesvalles, I can live with that too.

I simply wanted to force myself to set a start date, and so I have done right now. The beauty of not planning too much, but simply just do it, go, and see where it will lead you, appeals to me.

So, it seems I will start from SJpdP on April 26 or 27, or Pamplona 25th. I really don't know or care: come what may.

I like the feeling of doing something not planned/calculated: I will go with the flow. Need to get out my backpack and sew on the badges that Ivar sent to me, so you'll recognize me as a forum guy ;) Now it's for real and impossible to change. Thank God.
Flott! Hope you let me know once you reach Santiago.. lunch on me! God tur..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Trekking poles. I leave in three weeks to start my Camino from Leon. I am wanting to carry on my pack for all flights from the US with my poles in my pack. Will this be a problem for security? I leave from Denver.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, I arrrive in Barcelona late evening, so better get a hotel room near the airport.

Alex-- right outside the airport (BCN) baggage terminal you will see a huge Blue Bus that for 5 Euros takes people to Plaza Cataluña-- sort of the heart of Barcelona. They leave every 15 minutes. Please note that you will be in Barcelona during La Feria del Libro y de la Rosa wich is actually the Festivities of St. Jordi, Patron Saint of Barcelona. HUGE weekend which unfortunately translates to crowds and higher cost accomodations. I visited Barcelona during one of those and stayed at Hostal Girona, walking distance from Plaza Cataluña (http://www.hostalgirona.com/home.asp). Nice people, run by a family. The festivities are actually a lot of fun, but sooo crowded everywhere. A word of warning that Barcelona is notorious for pickpocketers, so watch your belongings carefully and hide them away while around crowds. If you want to avoid Barcelona, I wouldn't blame you-- you can always take the train from the Airport to SANTS station and either hop on a bus or train to Pamplona. That said, Rebekah's proposal is golden! :)

Buen Camino!!

I packed my poles in a carry-on bag flying from Bordeaux to Porto on Ryanair in 2013 but I know there is a thread somewhere on this site that discusses the various issues with different airlines, especially the ones from the US.

Alexwalker, I am admire way you are doing your Camino! No plans except an airline ticket and a destination! Plan as you go! Sounds like a dream. Don’t think our paths will cross cause I’m starting in SJPdP on May 14th. Buen Camino to you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alex-- right outside the airport (BCN) baggage terminal you will see a huge Blue Bus that for 5 Euros takes people to Plaza Cataluña-- sort of the heart of Barcelona. Buen Camino!!

Thank you for kind tips: Here is what I'll do: I'll find a hotel very close to the airport. I do not want to stand in a plaza in downtown Barcelona alone at 23.00 ;) I know Barcelona. In the morning I'll catch a bus to SANTS and get a bus/train to Pamplona (ca. 5 hours nice bus ride). In Pamplona, I'll decide whether I start from there (did it my first Camino) or go to SJpdP. The Way shall materialize for me while I live it! :cool:

Trekking poles. I leave in three weeks to start my Camino from Leon. I am wanting to carry on my pack for all flights from the US with my poles in my pack. Will this be a problem for security? I leave from Denver.

To be safe, carry on your pack and put your poles (and whatever else you want) in a large tube that you can buy from UPS or other mailing place. Then seal it up and check it. Or you can take your chances of having your poles confiscated and buy new ones in Spain. This pole issue seems to be a moving target at times, so I am using the mailing tube option.

I prefer not to do much planning or preparation. My idea of a great trip is to land in a country where I can't speak the language and off I go. We want to be changed by our travels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From Barcelona you only need to go as far as Jaca. Walk the Aragonese. Ease yourself into the Camino Frances scene that way. It is a beautiful, neglected route, it needs some love!
Congratulations on taking the first step, making that big commitment.
See you this summer, maybe?
Rebekah, I finally figured out where your place is on the CF. Are you right on the path? Can I stop by just to say hi or stay over without prearrangement. I will start in SJPP May 18th. Can't guess when I would get to your place yet ; 0
I would love to meet you as I have read so many of your posts and appreciate your comments.
Stefania

Thank you for kind tips: Here is what I'll do: I'll find a hotel very close to the airport. I do not want to stand in a plaza in downtown Barcelona alone at 23.00 ;) I know Barcelona. In the morning I'll catch a bus to SANTS and get a bus/train to Pamplona (ca. 5 hours nice bus ride). In Pamplona, I'll decide whether I start from there (did it my first Camino) or go to SJpdP. The Way shall materialize for me while I live it! :cool:
Sounds like a good plan, Alex! Buen Camino!

Please note that you will be in Barcelona during La Feria del Libro y de la Rosa wich is actually the Festivities of St. Jordi, Patron Saint of Barcelona. HUGE weekend which unfortunately translates to crowds and higher cost accomodations.

Last time I attended a Feria was in Seville 3 years ago. I became invited to one of the private party tents (another story) and the women in their beautiful flamenco dresses were overjoyed by having a Norw. Viking at their disposal. Boy, they were beautiful! (The women). I now know how to do the flamenco (sort of...), after having been used as their dancing pole for hours... Will try to avoid the Feria in Barcelona: Might not get away from the women this time... I am a peregrino, for Gods sake, and must find the right Way! ;):cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last time I attended a Feria was in Seville 3 years ago. I became invited to one of the private party tents (another story) and the women in their beautiful flamenco dresses were overjoyed by having a Norw. Viking at their disposal. Boy, they were beautiful! (The women). I now know how to do the flamenco (sort of...), after having been used as their dancing pole for hours... Will try to avoid the Feria in Barcelona: Might not get away from the women this time... I am a peregrino, for Gods sake, and must find the right Way! ;):cool:
I am sure you did your best to fight them off, right?;) LOL! Never been to la Feria de Sevilla, but heard about it since I was a child. Have a great time in Spain! It is an amazing country with a beautiful and diverse culture! Buen Camino!!

Alex:

I am leaving from St. Jean on 27 April, after breakfast at the hotel I am in. I arrive at St. Jean on Friday evening. Coming from the States, I have the jet lag thing to adjust to.

This will be my second camino. Tag-alongs welcome. If you send me a PM (start a conversation) I will provide my Euro mobile number so we can connect at St. Jean, or later on.

That offer goes for anyone else who sees this. We are all going the same way. Why not make some friends early on?

The first day, I am walking as far as Orisson. I love that place, especially if the weather is clear...what views! Besides, it helps me ease into the Camino. Roncesvalles will be there when I amble in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
UPDATE:

Less than 48 hours after I booked my flight ticket and nothing else, I have done some preparations: I didn't know where to start from but now it seems it will be SJPdP. I want to do that, for some reason. But if I can't fix it, it will be Pamplona. Or Roncesvalles. Or...? I will be freaking 60 years old when I start. Strange thought. But then again, I feel like a 21 years old in a 60-ish holster :D

So here's what I've done and will do: Checked out hotels near the airport: There are a bunch with various prices. Will prebook a cheap one, get a taxi there and sleep. Next morning; a bus/taxi to the railway station. There are actually 6 trains/day leaving Barcelona for Irun, with a stop in Pamplona. I am sure at least as many for those flying in to Madrid.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTren.do

The 11.00 train seems the best. 65-70 Euros. But I'll take what's available. Then I will be picked up by a shuttle service and brought to Albergue Corazon Puro (I really love that name: Pure Heart), a bit north of Pamplona, for a bed and dinner. Next morning, use their shuttle service to SJPdP. Total for bed/dinner/transport: 43 Euros. Not bad at all. I have sent an email about reservation, but not yet received an answer. But I am sure it will sort out. If not, a Night in Pamplona, and an ordinary bus next day.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

I have sent an email about reservation, but not yet received an answer. But I am sure it will sort out. If not, a night in Pamplona, and an ordinary bus next day:

http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php...to-saint-jean-pied-de-port-from-pamplona.html

It doesn't matter if they have a different schedule than the above link: I'm buying the ticket the afternoon the day before, anyway, if needed.

No problem.

Transport issues solved. Arriving very early in SJpDP, can pick up a credential, and simply start walking on the 25th April. Or arriving late, and stay a day/night. I think I'll do that anyway: No need to rush. Better enjoy the town. Then out for the long walk on the 26th. Will stop in Orrison if there are beds. If not, simply walk on. And now the walk is really on: No need for any more plans/worries.

And I suspect forum member t2andreo will catch up with me; he's starting one day behind., but I'm going slow, especially in the beginning. Oh, no: all the way, come to think of it :cool:

Not bad, if I may say so: The arrival in SJPdP on the 25th April is secured, with alternatives.

I needed this little bit of planning in order to secure a starting point. Now I have several, with backups.

Last edited:
I do not have a return ticket. I finish when I am finished... Freedom indeed. Sometimes, we really need a timeout, and reflect upon what we are doing (or not). The Camino is such a rare occacion.Use it wisely.

Awesome... "burn the boats". When troops invaded some leaders burned the boats. Then there is no way back but victory. By your ticket, get to Spain and then live... I am envious my brother in faith. Please let us know how your voyage goes. God be with you.

Please let us know how your voyage goes. God be with you.
Wish warmly received, peregrino friend.

No more plans, except one fixed appointment: Lunch and beer(s) with Ivar some warm, sunny day in the not so distant future in Santiago de Compostela, Espana. Yey!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
UPDATE II:

The ways of the Camino are strange, indeed: I just got a message from Corazon Puro: They could not house me on the 24th, but if I could delay to the 25th, they could. So what does that mean?

Well, I go to Pamplona as planned, stay overnight in some hostal, have great tapas/wine and enjoy the city evening, then next day to Corazon and stay there, then the day after to SJPdP, stay overnight in an albergue, meet my "forum friend" t2andreo in the evening, and we can talk and set out on the morning of the 27th, as was his start date. All in all, this also gives me a very laidback approach to my Camino, which is actually perfect for me: No stress at all: good tapas, short travel distances, good food and sleep. I already feel the Way is doing me good/providing again!

And you thought the Camino didn't deliver?;)

And could you keep the pole discussion in another thread? Please? It is off-topic in this one.

Have a wonderful adventure good friends alexwalker wayfarer t2andreo and ilovelife may God bless you all with new insights on your journeys.

Buen Camino to you all :)

Have a wonderful adventure good friends alexwalker wayfarer t2andreo and ilovelife may God bless you all with new insights on your journeys.

Buen Camino to you all :)
Your kind words are most welcome, peregrino friend!

I have never stopped wondering how the Camino puts things in place, now with the latest change in my "plan" (Not that I really have one).

I think I've told this before, but anyway: On the VdlP on a rainy day, a barowner gave me a raincover for my rucksack, despite I told him I already had one. He told me I would need it one day. Two weeks later, standing inside a barn hiding for a ferocious rainstorm, I was happy to give it to my newfound caminofriend Jurgen, who was desperate about his rucksack because he didn't have one...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, then it's done: I just ordered a flight ticket for April 23 to Barcelona. I do not want to sit here anymore procrastinating: I am GOING. I have no further plans: I do not know where I shall start, other than that I hope I can get to SJpdP: It seems sort of right. But if it is Pamplona/Roncesvalles, I can live with that too.

I simply wanted to force myself to set a start date, and so I have done right now. The beauty of not planning too much, but simply just do it, go, and see where it will lead you, appeals to me.............................

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now"

Goethe

I hope this is appropriate Alex

I hope this is appropriate Alex
Very. Very appropriate, John (name of my only son, actually...). Fantastic words by Goethe. Hope this encouraces others. Everything is starting to fall into place for me now, in some strange ways. Put away your fears.

Remember one important thing: If you do what you have always done, you will receive what you have always received. Make a new start for yourself: You deserve it. Don't sit home and watch TV: Go out of your comfort zone, and things will happen. Think about your life: If it is good, continue watching TV. If you think you can do better, walk. You will discover many new things.

Last edited:
Alex-- the bus from Barcelona is 24 Euros and leaves you at the bus station where there are frequently other pilgrims waiting to share transportation to SJPDP or Roncesvalles. That said, I think the overnight stay at Corazon Puro is a good move. Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, Olivares: What comes, comes. It is good to have some slack. I like that ;) I also kind of like the thought of a day and night in Pamplona for tapas/wine ;) But we'll see: Nothing's set in stone. I am calm and in full control now. Well, as much as I can be in control: I know my direction, but not exactly what will happen. But I believe good things will happen.

Last edited:
Alex, Your plans are almost the same as mine. I, too, arrive in Barcel0na on April 23 at 9:30 staying at Hostal Girona then April 27 the 12:30 train to Pamplona and staying at Corazon Puro, on to SJPPDP next day, finally I can look around this beautiful village. Staying at Chemin du Pelerin and start walking on 26th , staying at Orrison. I plan to amble along after that and take it as it comes. am also slow starter in the mornings, often last one out and pilgrims from villages further back soon catch up with me! It's all good, and ambling is wonderful. Hope to see you and T2andreo along the way. Will have my forum patch and patch from American Pilgrims on the Camino on my green Osprey Exos pack.
Virginia( that's my name, I'm not from Virginia I'm from El Paso, Texas and speak spanish if you need any translating)

Sorry I am leaving for Pamplona on the 24th not 27th, I hope I didn't make that mistake on reservations!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
La Barre, crazy..

Alex, Your plans are almost the same as mine. I'm from El Paso, Texas and speak spanish if you need any translating)
I have PM'ed you as I have special relations to El Paso! My son John was an exchange student there for a year and I have been there myself!

Last edited:

Have fun!! :)

This is a great thread. As i am in a dilemma as to what day i can leave in April! But once that day is decided im gonna let fate decide the best on a day to day basis. I have thought about this trip for 2yrs since i was told about it. Will go to see my Bishop next week for a blessing and a confession and my start stamp. I will start from SJ and continue on to Muxia for a cople days at the beach,then will catch a train to London for some R&R with friends . Then once i return to Tucson will complete selling my belongings and move to Cambodia for at least a year. Thank you all for the great reads. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, Jeffrey, that sounds incredible! You've got the hard part figured out--- What's next after the Camino. As for the Camino itself it will sort itself out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha en fin camino, Alexwalker! Håper du får det litt varmere enn mai 2013!
Buen camino, Alexwalker! Sounds good with a camino
without much planning. Enjoy your walk!
Randi

Buen Camino to all! Especially to Alex and all the rest who will be starting mid- to late- April from SJPP. I hope to meet each one of you at some point - I start from SJPP on 16 April - but this time will go via Valcarlos - my knees just wouldn't take the descent from the Col de Lepoeder again! But then, I had perfect weather and views when I did it last Sept! I will also be going slowly so watch for the 69 yo woman with short, white hair and red pack with Forum and American Pilgrim badges.
¡ Ultreia !
Terry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino to all! Especially to Alex and all the rest who will be starting mid- to late- April from SJPP. I hope to meet each one of you at some point - I start from SJPP on 16 April - but this time will go via Valcarlos - my knees just wouldn't take the descent from the Col de Lepoeder again! But then, I had perfect weather and views when I did it last Sept! I will also be going slowly so watch for the 69 yo woman with short, white hair and red pack with Forum and American Pilgrim badges.
¡ Ultreia !
Terry

Terry - Coming down from the Col de Lepoeder, did you take the direct route through the woods or the slightly longer paved road route?

I took the windy road last year and did not have problems - other than slowing my descent - gravity being what it is some of my bits were trying to outdo all the other connected bits to see who could get to the bottom first. :eek:

I have not taken the direct - wooded path due to snow last year. I heard from others that the direct route was slick and somewhat treacherous in places, again due to ice, snow and mud. The road route avoids all that unpleasantness. There is no traffic and the view is, of course, fabulous.

Terry - Coming down from the Col de Lepoeder, did you take the direct route through the woods or the slightly longer paved road route?

I took the windy road last year and did not have problems - other than slowing my descent - gravity being what it is some of my bits were trying to outdo all the other connected bits to see who could get to the bottom first. :eek:

I have not taken the direct - wooded path due to snow last year. I heard from others that the direct route was slick and somewhat treacherous in places, again due to ice, snow and mud. The road route avoids all that unpleasantness. There is no traffic and the view is, of course, fabulous.

Alas, I accidentally took the route thru the woods (it was dry and gravelly) -- 'cause I wasn't sure which road to take - I can be a little dense sometimes. I became intimately acquainted with my trekking poles and didn't fall - did some traversing occasionally which helped. But I was scared - there was NO ONE else around! Going the low route this time to see how I fare with car and truck traffic - I DO hope the Camino will help -- will be watching for other pilgrims who are on that route as well!! ;-) See you all on the other side of the mountain!

Back to Alex's thread now...
Terry

Hi, im trying to not plan my walk too much, just go with the flow! Hopefully it will all be fine!
Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
UPDATE:

Less than 48 hours after I booked my flight ticket and nothing else, I have done some preparations: I didn't know where to start from but now it seems it will be SJPdP. I want to do that, for some reason. But if I can't fix it, it will be Pamplona. Or Roncesvalles. Or...? I will be freaking 60 years old when I start. Strange thought. But then again, I feel like a 21 years old in a 60-ish holster :D

So here's what I've done and will do: Checked out hotels near the airport: There are a bunch with various prices. Will prebook a cheap one, get a taxi there and sleep. Next morning; a bus/taxi to the railway station. There are actually 6 trains/day leaving Barcelona for Irun, with a stop in Pamplona. I am sure at least as many for those flying in to Madrid.

https://venta.renfe.com/vol/buscarTren.do

The 11.00 train seems the best. 65-70 Euros. But I'll take what's available. Then I will be picked up by a shuttle service and brought to Albergue Corazon Puro (I really love that name: Pure Heart), a bit north of Pamplona, for a bed and dinner. Next morning, use their shuttle service to SJPdP. Total for bed/dinner/transport: 43 Euros. Not bad at all. I have sent an email about reservation, but not yet received an answer. But I am sure it will sort out. If not, a Night in Pamplona, and an ordinary bus next day.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

I have sent an email about reservation, but not yet received an answer. But I am sure it will sort out. If not, a night in Pamplona, and an ordinary bus next day:

http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php...to-saint-jean-pied-de-port-from-pamplona.html

It doesn't matter if they have a different schedule than the above link: I'm buying the ticket the afternoon the day before, anyway, if needed.

No problem.

Transport issues solved. Arriving very early in SJpDP, can pick up a credential, and simply start walking on the 25th April. Or arriving late, and stay a day/night. I think I'll do that anyway: No need to rush. Better enjoy the town. Then out for the long walk on the 26th. Will stop in Orrison if there are beds. If not, simply walk on. And now the walk is really on: No need for any more plans/worries.

And I suspect forum member t2andreo will catch up with me; he's starting one day behind., but I'm going slow, especially in the beginning. Oh, no: all the way, come to think of it :cool:

Not bad, if I may say so: The arrival in SJPdP on the 25th April is secured, with alternatives.

I needed this little bit of planning in order to secure a starting point. Now I have several, with backups.

Hi Alex, after reading your blog, I booked my train from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and sent email to Corazon asking for bed & transport on Saturday 11 May. Should be interesting to see if they have anything for me. Either way no matter, there will be other ways to get there. I liked the idea of leaving some of my stuff with them though... You will be long gone by the time I start so "walk well". Thanks for the info. Helen

Hi Alex, after reading your blog, I booked my train from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and sent email to Corazon asking for bed & transport on Saturday 11 May. Should be interesting to see if they have anything for me.Helen
They do answer thoroughly, and seem like very nice and trusty people!

Buen Camino!!

Remember...what happens on Camino...stays on Camino...:eek:

Remember...what happens on Camino...stays on Camino...:eek:
Oh, I behaved very properly, I can assure you, Tom! It was the women that were demanding...

On another matter: As so many others, I am of course daily looking after my backpack, pack list, etc: After all, it's only 5 weeks to liftoff... :D

Have spent the day going to a broidery shop, (the elderly woman in the shop was very confused/uplifted by having the rare visit of a man in the shop, and was quite exited, helping me a lot) buying some great clips, straps, string, needles, etc. for repair and extensions of features on my backpack, and sewing them together, as well as sewing forum badge and national flag on my backpack.

It went quite well in the end, after I first sewed on the flag errroniously with stitches through both layers of my backpack, thereby effectively closing the pocket on the top of my backpack, and had to rip it off and do it again: I have now wiped up the blood that dripped from my fingers/hands due to (many) failing stitches and am now quite comfortable, sitting with a cold beer (imagining a small bar on the Camino) and admiring my own handicraft...:cool:

Last edited:
Very. Very appropriate, John (name of my only son, actually...). Fantastic words by Goethe. Hope this encouraces others. Everything is starting to fall into place for me now, in some strange ways. Put away your fears.

Remember one important thing: If you do what you have always done, you will receive what you have always received. Make a new start for yourself: You deserve it. Don't sit home and watch TV: Go out of your comfort zone, and things will happen. Think about your life: If it is good, continue watching TV. If you think you can do better, walk. You will discover many new things.

Wow this is so so appropriate. Tonight i have sat on the laptop trying to work out flights and times to get myself to Pamplona. I got so stressed out that i turned the laptop off and told my husband, im not going, if i cant even find my way from an airport to a train station then how the heck can i find "my way" and went to bed. Woken up for a drink and as usual have a quick read on my fone and there is the posts above telling me i can do this and i will do this. Divine intervention i think.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am impressed with your sewing, Alex. I gave up on the sewing of badges and used contact cement.

Looks fine now but not sure they have staying power. I might end up with a big safety pin smack in the middle.

I am impressed with your sewing, Alex. I gave up on the sewing of badges and used contact cement.
:D:D:D Im particurlarly proud of the extra straps with locks + a complete repair & improvement of the chest strap on my backpack. And the flag is very well applied and looks very nice, despite the revealing picture: There were evil shadow spirits inside my iPhone when I took the picture. But yes, it did cost a bit of blood from my fingers. I admire women who can do these things effortlessly...

If any of you recognize this backpack on the Way between April 23 and ca. June 15, say hello to the owner (me;)).

IMG_0078[1].JPG

Last edited:
I will look for you, but I am afraid I am a week or so to late from St Jean.
(kommer an på hvor sakte du går ;)

Oh, I behaved very properly, I can assure you, Tom! It was the women that were demanding...

On another matter: As so many others, I am of course daily looking after my backpack, pack list, etc: After all, it's only 5 weeks to liftoff... :D

Have spent the day going to a broidery shop, (the elderly woman in the shop was very confused/uplifted by having the rare visit of a man in the shop, and was quite exited, helping me a lot) buying some great clips, straps, string, needles, etc. for repair and extensions of features on my backpack, and sewing them together, as well as sewing forum badge and national flag on my backpack.

It went quite well in the end, after I first sewed on the flag errroniously with stitches through both layers of my backpack, thereby effectively closing the pocket on the top of my backpack, and had to rip it off and do it again: I have now wiped up the blood that dripped from my fingers/hands due to (many) failing stitches and am now quite comfortable, sitting with a cold beer (imagining a small bar on the Camino) and admiring my own handicraft...:cool:

Ah yes, bloody fingers and sewing on patches... :eek: That happened to me several times. I feel or rather felt your pain. After I cleaned my rucksack, and mended my fingers, I thought better to ask my wife to do the honors. She did, and the results show it. So, now one can recognize me by the various forum patches on the sides of my rucksack and the Camino, themed patches on the back.

Five weeks left and the weather here is still too cold to walk much for practice. We had more snow (15 cm) two days ago. I hesitate to go out in any rotten weather to prevent getting ill before I leave for Camino. I do not mind the bad weather once I am on Camino. After all, getting cold, wet and possibly ill is all part of the overall "experience." A peregrinos' got to do was a peregrinos' go to do. But I did not want to have the misfortune BEFORE. Still, I do feel bad about not walking more before leaving. Oh well, at least I got the feet sorted and overall health checked and cleared. My muscles will know what to do after the first day's climb to Orisson. They already know the route to follow and that, when in doubt, always take the route that goes UP.

Now, I am sorting how to transport the extra stuff I will need for my two weeks volunteer service at Santiago de Compostela. I start on 2 June. After that, I am flying up to Belgium for a week to visit friends before returning to the US. I think I will use Caroline's Express Bourricot service from St. Jean to move my one, small rolling suitcase.

The "issue" is whether that suitcase is small enough to meet Vueling Airlines' carry-on policy. I have an expensive, premium fare ticket to fly to Brussels in mid-June. The fare includes one, 23 kg checked bag (my rucksack and other stuff in a large duffle bag), PLUS one carry-on, of a specified maximum size (55 x 40 x 20 cm). I am within one cm on each dimension, some smaller and one just one cm larger (55 x 38 x 21). But the overall dimensions (L + W + D) are smaller than the maximum limit. I know for a fact this bag will fit in their Airbus overhead bins. I think I will just leave the decision to St. James and get on with it. It will all work out. Life it too short to sweat the small stuff. There, I feel better all ready...:)

I am taking the extra suitcase as I must bring extra nutritional supplements for my unique dietary needs, plus some "normal" clothes for life after the Camino, as well as "stuff" I pick up along the way. I did this last year, and while expensive, it worked perfectly.

We will be there soon enough. I cannot wait. On the other hand, I have been checking the weather in the mountains. It has been generally warm(ish) but more snow is forecast for the weekend. This time next month, it will be what it will be...;)

Wow this is so so appropriate. Tonight i have sat on the laptop trying to work out flights and times to get myself to Pamplona. I got so stressed out that i turned the laptop off and told my husband, im not going, if i cant even find my way from an airport to a train station then how the heck can i find "my way" and went to bed. Woken up for a drink and as usual have a quick read on my fone and there is the posts above telling me i can do this and i will do this. Divine intervention i think.

If you have a question, just ask it. Someone, likely many of us have an answer or three for you. We are all here to help. Do not worry...be happy!

Looks fine now but not sure they have staying power. I might end up with a big safety pin smack in the middle.

Pins work too! Plus, they have multiple other uses on Camino. Bring extras...they weigh "almost nothing" LOL.;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Now, I am sorting how to transport the extra stuff I will need for my two weeks volunteer service at Santiago de Compostela. I start on 2 June. After that, I am flying up to Belgium for a week to visit friends before returning to the US. I think I will use Caroline's Express Bourricot service from St. Jean to move my one, small rolling suitcase.
Hi Tom ~ Sending your bag via Caroline to Santiago is a very good deal! I did it last year when I was to go on to Portugal after my Camino to work with Global Village / Habitat for Humanity -- needed different clothing altogether. Easy pick up when I got to Santiago.
Buen Camino!
Terry

Another two pilgrims into the abyss yesterday: rail fares and flights and 1st night booked, doing the Ingles going slowly.Hope we may see some of you in Santiago got a forum badge to sew on my blue Osprey my wife has a dark green Osprey. Buen Camino to every one

€83,-

I've done the same thing, Alex--bought a one-way ticket (though a bit amusing: Pittsburgh, Boston, Iceland, Paris, SJPdP in September). I have the time, so I'm taking my time. There are a few places I want to stay (Granon, Guacelmo) but I'm prepared to take the camino as it unfolds in front of me.

¡ Ultreia !
Terry
Replying to my own post above -- Alas, I will need to reschedule my walk until fall this year - re-called to work for three months. Not so bad -- those earnings just might pay for my THIRD Camino at some point - maybe next Spring!
Buen Camino to all!!
Terry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back