• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIMs for Spain (Norte & Frances) and France (Gebenensis & Podiensis)

W

Walter1407

I plan to walk on the main route through France, and in Spain follow the Camino del Norte (there) and then the Frances (back).
I would love to hear from pilgrims who not too long ago were using French and Spanish SIMs on these routes. Which ones are recommended? Best coverage? Best price? I hope to get pre-pay SIMs which include internet access.
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought a prepay Vodafone SIM in Pamplona for E40 which lasted for one month before having to be renewed at a cost of E40. Coverage was fine, though I primarily used wifi in albergues. I think Orange had a cheaper option, but Vodafone was the first supplier I came across.

I used Orange on the CF and had coverage for the most part. I think it was 5€ Possibly 10 but I only used it for voice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Best price? I hope to get pre-pay SIMs which include internet access.
Thanks!

Voice roaming is cheap. Data roaming less so. If you really need data on both sides of the border better to buy two sims. One in each country. Supposedly 1/1/2016 all roaming costs go away but before then you'll pay at least €3 a day for data roaming.

At the time (2013), my smartphone was a CDMA only device, locked to Verizon, a US carrier. So I took an unlocked dumb phone with an Orange SIM card for voice and texting, and also took my smartphone for use only as a wifi device when I sent email or needed internet access. I now have switched to an iPhone which works on both CDMA and GSM networks, so that will be my single communications device of choice next time. I was totally pleased with the Orange network coverage along the CF, so I'll probably use it again. As far as use in France and Spain, if you plan to spend a significant amount of time in France just get SIM cards for both countries -- they are cheap enough. Someone mentioned the elimination of roaming charges in 2016 -- will that apply throughout the EU (i.e. one SIM for all countries at one price)?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The elimination of roaming fees in the EU is something that is long overdue.
The only issue would be trying to add credit outside of the EU country it originated from, unless you can set up a way to recharge online, that could be difficult for those from outside the EU.

I stopped buying simcards.
I downloaded the app Ringcredible on my iphone from the appstore.
Put 10€ Credit on my account by an Itunes card.
Everywhere there is wifi you can use your phone.
Costs phoning abroad ? 12 minutes from Europe to a fixed phonenumber in LA 0,12 €
30 minutes to a Portugese fixed phonenumber 0,59 € .
Phoning to mobile numbers is slightly more expensive.
The experiences with this app are such positive that I stopped my fixed phonenumber at home and only use this app.
On my iphone I now use a prepaid simcard .
My phonecosts reduced significantly.. I have no need to use my phone for internet data during traveling f.ex. in public transport . Besides more public transport companies offer free wifi in trains,streetcars and buses.

Buen camino

Last edited:
In addition to my post above herewith a pic of the app ringcredible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 7
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used a dual sim phone during my walk and changed the cards when I changed country. But I only used the phone for texting and calling, for internet I had a tablet with me. I used LaPoste in France and Vodaphone in Spain, both worked well. SY

Just for explanation: I prefer to have a mobile with internet access as I can see my precise location with GPS. And I can find out where I have to go with this website: www.jakobsweg.ch - This site provides detailed maps for all major routes in Europe (with zoom-in function). This way I don't have to carry any maps (paper or electronic). I am hoping that mobile coverage will be comprehensive...

Just for explanation: I prefer to have a mobile with internet access as I can see my precise location with GPS. And I can find out where I have to go with this website: www.jakobsweg.ch - This site provides detailed maps for all major routes in Europe (with zoom-in function). This way I don't have to carry any maps (paper or electronic). I am hoping that mobile coverage will be comprehensive...

http://maps.me/en/home is a nice map app that works offline without a data signal, just zoom in and download the maps from the countries you'll be visiting before you travel on wifi (the file sizes are big) and you'll have some well detailed maps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It doesn't show the Camino route itself, but it is well detailed as a map.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.