• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Simulation inside a plane with Covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Ti

Recently I received a lot of publicity from various airlines companies that indicate all the safety measures they are taking to protect the flying passenger and inviting me to travel.

This really intrigued me and I did some research on the subject and I just found a video made by a university that might interested you.

This video is showing a simulation of a person having the Covid and the potential impacted people inside a plane.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting. There are many such simulations online about the potential spread in planes and office environments.

Common sense surely!

I continue to work at home, and have closed our offices till further notice.

Get on a plane! No way thanks :eek:

We have been very lucky in Australia so far.
But even a slight easing of local movement restrictions is seeing a small jump in transmission.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. I was stranded since mid March in Slovakia (with great social responsibility resulting in a super low infection rate and rapid curve flattening so not a bad place to be stranded) but early June I flew home to Montreal via Vienna to Frankfurt (Lufthansa plane was completely full, masks mandatory, no food or drinks) then Frankfurt-Montreal on Air Canada, which was actually a cargo flight so only about 30 passengers.....every 2-3 rows had only 1 passenger. I felt confined on the short 1 hour Lufthansa flight. I’m on day 12 home total isolation, healthy, dreaming about Portugal next January but having to seriously consider flying back to Vienna early Fall to retrieve my 11 year old best canine buddy who I had to leave given current pet transportation restrictions. I worked in a university hospital during SARS and although Covid-19 is different, I will make travel decisions based 1st on social responsibility then personal risk then my heart. 👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾

Thanks. I was stranded since mid March in Slovakia (with great social responsibility resulting in a super low infection rate and rapid curve flattening so not a bad place to be stranded) but early June I flew home to Montreal via Vienna to Frankfurt (Lufthansa plane was completely full, masks mandatory, no food or drinks) then Frankfurt-Montreal on Air Canada, which was actually a cargo flight so only about 30 passengers.....every 2-3 rows had only 1 passenger. I felt confined on the short 1 hour Lufthansa flight. I’m on day 12 home total isolation, healthy, dreaming about Portugal next January but having to seriously consider flying back to Vienna early Fall to retrieve my 11 year old best canine buddy who I had to leave given current pet transportation restrictions. I worked in a university hospital during SARS and although Covid-19 is different, I will make travel decisions based 1st on social responsibility then personal risk then my heart. 👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾
Merci Colette, le monde est bien petit je suis de Montréal également!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
but having to seriously consider flying back to Vienna early Fall to retrieve my 11 year old best canine buddy who I had to leave given current pet transportation restrictions.

Perhaps we'll all need to be microchipped like our pets if we want to travel. Would speed things up a lot but then "they" would know where you've been.

This really intrigued me and I did some research on the subject and I just found a video made by a university that might interested you.
@Jean Ti, thanks for posting this as it has provoked some interesting posts and discussion but please be sensitive to sources. This clip was not posted by a University. This clip was posted by a Social Media Company desperate for clicks judging by their current market status - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibi

The failure to make the data source clear is typical of click-bait dependent entities and passing-off is a typical tactic.

Perhaps we'll all need to be microchipped like our pets if we want to travel. Would speed things up a lot but then "they" would know where you've been.
Friend, Pilgrim, between your Passport and your Bank card they already know where you've been, what you spent your money on and they have an Algorithm to figure out why ;).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Jean Ti, thanks for posting this as it has provoked some interesting posts and discussion but please be sensitive to sources. This clip was not posted by a University. This clip was posted by a Social Media Company desperate for clicks judging by their current market status - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quibi

The failure to make the data source clear is typical of click-bait dependent entities and passing-off is a typical tactic.

@Thinkcatanker I am forwarding you a link to the search made Phd Yan Chen the Purdue University.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Merci Colette, le monde est bien petit je suis de Montréal également!

Bonjour Jean Ti, I’m actually in Ottawa but nice to know another Pelegrín is nearby! My French is minimal but nous marcherons à nouveau 👣👣👣

Because of my MCS, I generally fly with my eyes and nose covered anyway, so not much will change.
I can't do vaccinations.
Just waiting to see if they'll open up the Camino to US citizens in time for Holy Year and if my reservations will still be in place...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Recently I received a lot of publicity from various airlines companies that indicate all the safety measures they are taking to protect the flying passenger and inviting me to travel.

This video is showing a simulation of a person having the Covid and the potential impacted people inside a plane.
I'm afraid I would never believe anything that was authoritative from an airline (or for that matter airports).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I heard on CBC today that both Air Canada and Westjet, the two major Canadian carriers, have ended the practice of not filling middle seats on planes. They claim that the practices of checking passengers' temperatures before boarding and obliging them to wear masks are adequate to protect them from this virus. I am waiting to get vaccinated before flying again. (Please don't anybody tell me why that won't work).

The airlines are mostly simply giving up on this little experiment:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trav...tancing-board-many-that-experiment-is-ending/

American Airlines is giving up completely. Delta is still blocking middle seats and has committed to capping seating at 50 or 60 percent. Southwest Airlines is blocking about a third of the seats on its planes from being booked. United will “avoid where possible seating customers next to each other” but could make no guarantees. JetBlue said it would continue blocking all middle seats on larger planes and aisle seats on smaller aircraft.

And from Bloomberg: "How Safe Is Flying in the Age of Coronavirus?"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...is-flying-in-the-age-of-coronavirus-quicktake

Good luck with all this………

Interesting. There are many such simulations online about the potential spread in planes and office environments.

Common sense surely!

I continue to work at home, and have closed our offices till further notice.

Get on a plane! No way thanks :eek:

We have been very lucky in Australia so far.
But even a slight easing of local movement restrictions is seeing a small jump in transmission.
I agree. You couldn’t pay me to get on a plane now🙀

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Like many on this forum I remember the measles and chicken pox parties of years ago. When, if one child was affected, all the others were placed in the same room until they all had it.....only this is not it.
Socio-economic life has been adversely affected on a global scale by a virus that knows no boundaries and is passed from person to person and by human travel.
These are things we know.
I am European and am fortunate in that if I chose to participate in a European camino I could reach my starting point and return by other means than by air.
I live in a country badly affected by the virus which has been reduced by locking down, improved hygiene and, most importantly, by social distancing. This is something that the airlines, and by association the airports, cannot adhere to. The business model will not allow this to be commercially viable.
Some airlines may try but it will place them at a disadvantage to those who don't.
I am afraid I will be changing my travel habits until a vaccination exists despite all the assurances given.

I am European and am fortunate in that if I chose to participate in a European camino I could reach my starting point and return by other means than by air.
Just my thoughts:
If I do not go by car... which means if I would go by train or bus... I think the risk would be similar as by going by air - maybe even higher because I am longer in the possible risk zone.
My hope is that a FFP2 mask is enough protection for going by plane... because at the moment it is the recommended protection for the medical stuff (if I understand it right) at their work in Germany - and it would be no problem to wear it during the (short European) flight.

I am much more worried about the dormitories in the albergues... because if I look at the simulation above for air planes... I think: in dormitories it should be a similar problem like in air planes. And at the moment I cannot imagine to sleep with a mask all of the time.

Last edited:
Just my thoughts:
If I do not go by car... which means if I would go by train or bus... I think the risk would be similar as by going by air - maybe even higher because I am longer in the possible risk zone.
My hope is that a FFP2 mask is enough protection for going by plane... because at the moment it is the recommended protection for the medical stuff (if I understand it right) at their work in Germany - and it would be no problem to wear it during the (short European) flight.

I am much more worried about the dormitories in the albergues... because if I look at the simulation above for air planes... I think: in dormitories it should be a similar problem like in air planes. And at the moment I cannot images to sleep with a mask all of the time.
These are dilemmas and decisions each have to weigh up.
My point is..."if I chose to...."
My own personal view is that this year I would choose not to. There is a risk in the use of any public transport and as for communal alberques....
In my country as soon as restrictions were relaxed common sense completely disappeared. Beaches were so packed you couldn't see the sand. A football team won the championship and the crowd partied like there wasn't a pandemic.
Of course this was a minority...but it was a microcosm of social behaviour.
I still would prefer a means of public transport which allowed me a bit more control of my environment than air travel.
If masks were a guarantee then these would have been introduced at the earliest stage and the problem solved. They aren't!
My post was really saying that until a vaccination exists I will be putting any foreign travel on hold....but the thread was about air travel...something I know something about.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"they" already know where you have been, when the immigration officer scans your machine readable passport they can see this info. It would not be too difficult to link your vaccination status to your passport enabling you to travel .

Like many on this forum I remember the measles and chicken pox parties of years ago. When, if one child was affected, all the others were placed in the same room until they all had it.....only this is not it.
Yes, this is not the same. I remember those parties. Moms all figured we were going to get it eventually, so might as well get it over with all at once. Fortunately our moms and dads had acquired immunity, so they could look after us and still go to work.

"they" already know where you have been, when the immigration officer scans your machine readable passport they can see this info. It would not be too difficult to link your vaccination status to your passport enabling you to travel .
Not all countries stamp passports going in or out

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Socio-economic life has been adversely affected on a global scale by a virus that knows no boundaries and is passed from person to person and by human travel.
These are things we know.
I live in a country badly affected by the virus which has been reduced by locking down, improved hygiene and, most importantly, by social distancing. This is something that the airlines, and by association the airports, cannot adhere to. The business model will not allow this to be commercially viable.
Some airlines may try but it will place them at a disadvantage to those who don't.
I am afraid I will be changing my travel habits until a vaccination exists despite all the assurances given.
I am afraid i will too sadly as I love to travel. It is very difficult for me to not be able to travel

Thanks for sharing @Jean Ti - If social distancing is the proven way to stop the virus spreading from person to person then why would anyone want to spend several hours sitting next to a fellow passenger in an enclosed space and breath the same air for the duration of the flight?

Thanks for sharing @Jean Ti - If social distancing is the proven way to stop the virus spreading from person to person then why would anyone want to spend several hours sitting next to a fellow passenger in an enclosed space and breath the same air for the duration of the flight?
...Or eventually be on an international flight of 9+ hours wearing a mask...would the flights be a tad less expensive as no meals or drinks could be served. 😛

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.