• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Singing Nuns in March?

frank rawley

Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2018, 2020, 2023 French
Do the nuns in Carrion De Los Condes at the Santa Maria parish albergue sing year round or only in the summer. I will be passing thru around march 26th. Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola @frank rawley, from what is published in Brierley it may be that they will be closed. Brierley lists them as "summer" only. You are going to be there during Holy Week - Easter Good Friday is 30th March. Their phone number is 979880768 so you might try them the day before you arrive. Buen Camino!:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A lovely choir of nuns at the Convent of Santa Clara at Castrojeriz - 8:30 am Eucharist every morning. Fits in well if you are staying overnight in San Anton or Castrojeriz. Plus they also sell delicious biscuits! A silent order (the Poor Clares) so you order and pay for your biscuits through a turntable gate, after the service.

Staying overnight in the mystical San Anton ruins and a walk to the convent across the fields in the early morning light, followed by the sung Eucharist, followed by delicious biscuits - what's not to like?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We contacted them and asked about accommodations in early March, said they open around March 7th.

Sorry this has s a typo! Said they WOULD NOT, REPEAT NOT BE OPEN YET!

Last edited:
We started our Camino on the 27th of March last year and had the privilege to stay at Santa Maria in Carrion De Los Condes. The nuns were singing in the evening and it was a wonderful experience. They made little stars and gave one to each of us and wished us a personal Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've never met a nun yet that could not sing. Maybe singing is a prerequisite to becoming a nun (LOL!)

I think the nuns sing the year round. It's the kind of thing nuns do. But they probably only sing for their Perrgrinos when the Albergue is open...
Now that's funny....:D

When I was there in March 3 years ago, the nuns were away and the Albergue run by the volunteers from the Spanish Association in Madrid. Last year when I was there in March the nuns were in residence but the service was in a different church at the other end of town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We served as hospitalarios with the Sisters in late September/ early October a couple of years ago. They were scheduled to leave shortly after we left... so mid/late. October must be closing dates.

Do the nuns in Carrion De Los Condes at the Santa Maria parish albergue sing year round or only in the summer. I will be passing thru around march 26th. Thanks
The nuns do not live in Carrion all year round. They normally arrive and open April 1, but considering Easter falls that week, they may or may not be open yet.
They sing and pray all day, even while cleaning, beginning at 5am and 5pm vespers, and again 9:30pm. These services are usually private in their quarters, but you may request to be invited. I was hospitalera there in April and enjoyed participating in all of their services.
Their popular singing service with the pilgrims is usually before evening mass about 6pm.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
anyone know anything about the nice necklaces the nuns give away at the end of the service..i have one from them it looks like a wooden letter T what does it symbolise.?

The Sisters are from the Augustinian order from a monastery near Valencia.
The wood Tau Cross with a carved heart is from their order.
I am surprised they would pass them out after a mass as they generally only present them to volunteers who assist them in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
The Sisters are from the Augustinian order from a monastery near Valencia.
The wood Tau Cross with a carved heart is from their order.
I am surprised they would pass them out after a mass as they generally only present them to volunteers who assist them in a meaningful way.
it wasn't a mass, more of a singing service I guess, no priest.
doesent look anything like a heart, defiantly resembles a Wooden letter T.

Attachments

• 1560358969404214724796.jpg
    1560358969404214724796.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 11
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did find mine from the sisters.
I was mistaken about the Sisters cross. It is not a Tau.
It is a conventional wood cross with a heart cut thru and inscribed.

Attachments

• 64BBD51C-6046-4F7B-98CE-FDFD0F0808D9.jpeg
    64BBD51C-6046-4F7B-98CE-FDFD0F0808D9.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 6
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A lovely choir of nuns at the Convent of Santa Clara at Castrojeriz - 8:30 am Eucharist every morning. Fits in well if you are staying overnight in San Anton or Castrojeriz. Plus they also sell delicious biscuits! A silent order (the Poor Clares) so you order and pay for your biscuits through a turntable gate, after the service.

Staying overnight in the mystical San Anton ruins and a walk to the convent across the fields in the early morning light, followed by the sung Eucharist, followed by delicious biscuits - what's not to like?

Darn! If only I'd known. Have to walk the CF again now :rolleyes:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back