• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Singing Nuns of Carrion de los Condes

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPP-Logrono
2022 Leon-Sarria
2023 Frances
Hello everyone.

Does one have to stay at Santa Maria in Carrion to experience the singing nuns and the pilgrim blessing or is it open to pilgrims staying at other albergues?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think so, but am not sure; it's something they offer to people staying at the albergue. Why not stay there instead? It's a very special place. One of the few where genders are in separate dorms, too. A joy.
Edit. Corrected. Thanks, @J Willhaus.
Also to echo what you said about making sure the Srs are there. The 2nd time I stayed there I'd been looking forwarf to gender separation. But the nuns were all away and the volunteer hospis put us all in one dorm. It was not a comfortable night - I was the only woman. 🤣

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Does one have to stay at Santa Maria in Carrion to experience the singing nuns and the pilgrim blessing or is it open to pilgrims staying at other albergues?
No we had people wander in from the street including some school children. There is a "schedule" and you might have to go by to see what that is. There is a Vespers service at the church, a sing along at the albergue, a pilgrim mass at the church, and then communal supper. I think you would be welcome at all but the shared supper if you were not staying there... Just be sure the sisters are actually there. In 2021 when my husband stayed they were not there probably due to Covid restrictions. We stayed with them in 2016 and since my husband had a CPAP we were not in the big dorm, but in a smaller room with better electrical access.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah... I really wanted to stay there but they were closed due to COVID when I did the Frances :(

No we had people wander in from the street including some school children. There is a "schedule" and you might have to go by to see what that is. There is a Vespers service at the church, a sing along at the albergue, a pilgrim mass at the church, and then communal supper. I think you would be welcome at all but the shared supper if you were not staying there... Just be sure the sisters are actually there. In 2021 when my husband stayed they were not there probably due to Covid restrictions. We stayed with them in 2016 and since my husband had a CPAP we were not in the big dorm, but in a smaller room with better electrical access.
Generally they approach pilgrims to do various parts of the service such as the readings, collect the offering, etc. My husband was asked to bring up the "prayers of pilgrims" which were little slips of paper in a basket with prayer requests left by pilgrims throughout the day and the evening. The Sisters pray for each pilgrim individually after the Mass. Phil was moved to tears by the request. He told the Sister that he did not know Spanish and he wasn't Catholic and she said she would look at him and "nod" when it was time to come forward and it didn't matter if he was Catholic or not. He was very humbled the the experience.

Generally they approach pilgrims to do various parts of the service such as the readings, collect the offering, etc. My husband was asked to bring up the "prayers of pilgrims" which were little slips of paper in a basket with prayer requests left by pilgrims throughout the day and the evening. The Sisters pray for each pilgrim individually after the Mass. Phil was moved to tears by the request. He told the Sister that he did not know Spanish and he wasn't Catholic and she said she would look at him and "nod" when it was time to come forward and it didn't matter if he was Catholic or not. He was very humbled the the experience.
That is a beautiful story and wow! What an experience!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This sounds fantastic, and I'd love to stay at Santa Maria. According to Gronze.com they don't take reservations. For anyone that's stayed there, is it difficult to get a bed? Is it somewhere that I will need to ensure I'm there as soon as they open to secure a bed?

Get in line and wait. They have 50 beds, but it is popular in the summer.
Edit: I think we arrived around noon and waited in line until they opened.

Thanks, I'll make note of that and be sure to arrive early. I will be there in early June. Where did you spend the previous night?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Actually waiting in line for many other small popular places with a unique pilgrim experiences is pretty common. We waited in line at Viana's parroquial, too. People also wait in line at San Nicolas on the Meseta where they do the foot washing.

Thanks, I'll make note of that and be sure to arrive early. I will be there in early June. Where did you spend the previous night?
We have stayed at La Finca outside Fromista twice, but I think it is permanently closed now which is sad because it was an awesome albergue.

Actually waiting in line for many other small popular places with a unique pilgrim experiences is pretty common. We waited in line at Viana's parroquial, too. People also wait in line at San Nicolas on the Meseta where they do the foot washing.
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with someone washing my feet, but hearing the nuns sing and receiving a pilgrim's blessing would be an incredible experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone.

I was able to attend just by walking in as they had started singing. I didn’t get the sense that they checked at all. Then we all walked to Mass together. It was lovely. one of my favorite memories.

I was blessed to have had the opportunity to stay there on one of my walks. The singing, the beautiful community created meal was lovely. One of the most memorable stops for me. My recollection was there was a mass at night in the church near the convent where we were gifted a handmade star from the sisters along with a pilgrim blessing (laying of hands) which was quite emotional. I believe the mass was open to all pilgrims regardless of whether one was staying in the convent albergue or not.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We were there in Oct 2022. Sisters were there in full voice.
Mass was very special. Did not need to. Be staying there.
Bob

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone.

Dont know but you should be able to catch them at the pilgrim mass. You will also get a blessing after mass ends

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back