Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Single rooms on Primitivo?

ThorTen

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: Primitivo (May 2019)
Hi,

I am a bit of a difficult sleeper (for me and for others) and thus plan to take single rooms instead of the dorms in the albergues.
Is this realistic to achieve on the Primitivo or are there stages where this won't be possible? I am also not planning on carrying a sleeping bag or liner for that reason, but am wondering if that is a mistake?

Thanks a lot!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

I am a bit of a difficult sleeper (for me and for others) and thus plan to take single rooms instead of the dorms in the albergues.
Is this realistic to achieve on the Primitivo or are there stages where this won't be possible? I am also not planning on carrying a sleeping bag or liner for that reason, but am wondering if that is a mistake?

Thanks a lot!
Your best bet is Booking.com - I booked all but one of the accommodation- am walking it in June.

Your best bet is Booking.com - I booked all but one of the accommodation- am walking it in June.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just finished the Prinmitivo a few weeks ago with a friend. We had several private rooms along the way using Airbnb and booking.com plus just walking up and asking in some places. But we don't like to book ahead, changes your daily option.

I just finished the Prinmitivo a few weeks ago with a friend. We had several private rooms along the way using Airbnb and booking.com plus just walking up and asking in some places. But we don't like to book ahead, changes your daily option.

Thanks Martin! Were there any ones that you liked particularly well and that you would recommend?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Martin! Were there any ones that you liked particularly well and that you would recommend?
Hola! I was Martin’s friend! My favourite of the private rooms we had was Casa Ricardo in Campiello. Clean, modern, cheap, and a super friendly owner. Porta Santa in Cadavo Baleira also had lovely-looking private rooms (although we stayed in the dorms, where we were the only two!), and the newly-opened A Pociña de Muñiz in Vilar had lovely looking rooms, but was also more expensive... Buen Camino!

Oviedo -- Hotel Vestusta 35 Euros
Grado --Hotel Auto Bar 20 Euros
Salas --Hotel Solo 20 Euros
La Espina --Hotel Dakar
Salas --Palacio de Maras 50 Euros but really worth it - Like a Paradore Hotel!
Campiello --Hotel Casa Rural Herminia 30 Euros
Pola de Allende --Hotel La Nueva Allandesa 25 Euros
Grandas de Salime Hotel La Barra 40 Euros
A Fonsagrada --Albergue -Pension Cantibrico 30 Euros
O Cadavo - Albergue -Pension Porta Santa 35 euros
Castroverde --Pension Cortez 25 euros
Lugo --Hotel Espana 25 Euros. Right next to the Roman Walls
Finished by taking train to Ferrol and doing the Ingles Route to Santiago.

Definitely stay at the Palacio in Salas which also has an albergue, but the hotel is very luxurious!!!!!
I did not take a sleeping bag on either my Primitivo or Portuguese Caminos (See Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment") since I stayed almost exclusively in private rooms. Sleeping bag takes up 25 %
of the backpack! Took no towel either. When you consider the free breakfast buffet often included and the ridiculously low prices to begin with, the private room option is not that expensive.
Be advised that there are extreme elevations on the Primitivo - Cantabrian Mountains ---very tough Camino.
Terence Callery

Some of those prices a bit cheaper than what we experienced last month... Porta Santa for example we were quoted €45 and decided against it...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think the rates in February are lower than after holy week, plus you have to specifically ask for the special low pilgrim rate and also lower if you get without breakfast.

Oviedo -- Hotel Vestusta 35 Euros
Grado --Hotel Auto Bar 20 Euros
Salas --Hotel Solo 20 Euros
La Espina --Hotel Dakar
Salas --Palacio de Maras 50 Euros but really worth it - Like a Paradore Hotel!
Campiello --Hotel Casa Rural Herminia 30 Euros
Pola de Allende --Hotel La Nueva Allandesa 25 Euros
Grandas de Salime Hotel La Barra 40 Euros
A Fonsagrada --Albergue -Pension Cantibrico 30 Euros
O Cadavo - Albergue -Pension Porta Santa 35 euros
Castroverde --Pension Cortez 25 euros
Lugo --Hotel Espana 25 Euros. Right next to the Roman Walls
Finished by taking train to Ferrol and doing the Ingles Route to Santiago.

Definitely stay at the Palacio in Salas which also has an albergue, but the hotel is very luxurious!!!!!
I did not take a sleeping bag on either my Primitivo or Portuguese Caminos (See Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment") since I stayed almost exclusively in private rooms. Sleeping bag takes up 25 %
of the backpack! Took no towel either. When you consider the free breakfast buffet often included and the ridiculously low prices to begin with, the private room option is not that expensive.
Be advised that there are extreme elevations on the Primitivo - Cantabrian Mountains ---very tough Camino.
Terence Callery

Thanks a lot Terence!

I think the rates in February are lower than after holy week, plus you have to specifically ask for the special low pilgrim rate and also lower if you get without breakfast.

Did you pre-book or just walk up and ask what was available?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I pre-booked some when I knew I that I would be in that town - like Oviedo for example first night.
Or if the place was the only hotel in town. some days I did not book since I did not know how far I would walk.
But this Camino is deserted in February, you will have more competition for rooms in May.
These are single occupancy rates, Charlotte above would have been quoted double occupancy rates as she was traveling with a friend.
It is amazingly beautiful in "Cow Country" very rural and so, often not many places to stop and get water.
The elevation out of Salas and Pola de Allende is like 600 meters - which is hard climb- as these towns are all settled into the valley and the Camino runs up along a higher ridge. The Cantebrian mountains to the south are snow capped and like a "purple mountain Majesty" absolutely jaw-dropping, breath-taking panoramic views. The local hard cider was so refreshing!
Buen Camino

Hola! I was Martin’s friend! My favourite of the private rooms we had was Casa Ricardo in Campiello. Clean, modern, cheap, and a super friendly owner. Porta Santa in Cadavo Baleira also had lovely-looking private rooms (although we stayed in the dorms, where we were the only two!), and the newly-opened A Pociña de Muñiz in Vilar had lovely looking rooms, but was also more expensive... Buen Camino!
Takes me back!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back