• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Single sim card for uk, fr & spain?

iwanna

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (March/April 2017)
I am coming from USA with a Samsung Note 3 on Sprint service. I did the international unlock to prepare it for a European Sim card. I have family in UK as well as france, so I want to pick a sim card only plan, to buy in London before I head on My Way. It needs to make & receive calls from uk, france as well as Spain and also to usa. Is this possible on one sim card with one service plan?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes it sure is!

Buy a Three pay as you go sim in the UK. You can then use it in France and Spain as if you were in the UK. You can buy 500mb for £5 and you will get 150mb free every time you top up. You can also sign up to monthly plans that will include calls, sms too. I only use it for data though.

I use this sim all over the world as it covers many countries, even the USA!

You can buy the sim cards is supermarkets. In order to top up online you would have to have a UK registered credit or debit card. The way around this is to ensure you have enough credit on your phone before you leave the UK. You can buy credit everywhere, but this option won't be available in France, Spain etc.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

In order to top up online you would have to have a UK registered credit or debit card.
On an earlier trip where my wife bought a SIM from a UK provider, it was not possible to top up the credit elsewhere in Europe without a UK credit card. From our perspective - completely pointless. While we pay a little more, we continue to use TravelSIM, and while we are in Spain buy a local SIM while we are walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On an earlier trip where my wife bought a SIM from a UK provider, it was not possible to top up the credit elsewhere in Europe without a UK credit card. From our perspective - completely pointless. While we pay a little more, we continue to use TravelSIM, and while we are in Spain buy a local SIM while we are walking.

Yes that's a problem. You need to buy credit before you leave the UK but the credit lasts forever, so it's no issue if you know how long you want to use the sim.

Yes that's a problem. You need to buy credit before you leave the UK but the credit lasts forever, so it's no issue if you know how long you want to use the sim.
Really! Either one puts too much credit on the phone, and ends up going home having paid for something that one isn't going to use, or too little and not having the phone to use at all. Getting the sweet spot is just chance.

I guess it's a chance but the sim card only costs £2 and you can top up with £10 and you have 1.3 GB of data that you can use in many other countries. I don't see the risk, we are not really talking about much money here.

If you run out of credit then just buy a local simcard and if you ever go back to the UK then you can use the Three sim again as it doesn't expire.

Just looked at the travelsim, 35 Euros for 500mb of data!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'd like something simple. Keeping a SIM somewhere on the off chance that I might re-visit the country that I bought it in just sounds like waste to me, no matter how much or little is involved.

I keep reusing the PAYG Orange Sim I bought in Spain a few years ago. It does not expire but lies dormant between visits. First job in Spain is to top it up with some credit. It is easier than buying a new one each time. Sooner or later I'll buy a new phone and find that the old SIM does not fit!

Well you can always throw the sim away to keep things simple.

I keep about half a dozen sim cards on me from countries I regularly visit and they don't add too much weight to my pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am coming from USA with a Samsung Note 3 on Sprint service. I did the international unlock to prepare it for a European Sim card. I have family in UK as well as france, so I want to pick a sim card only plan, to buy in London before I head on My Way. It needs to make & receive calls from uk, france as well as Spain and also to usa. Is this possible on one sim card with one service plan?
I read a couple of weeks ago in a British newspaper that the EU will soon abandon roaming charges. This will change things a lot re EU sim cards, I guess. This change will not apply to the UK for obvious reasons. Keep an eye out for changes. I assume that hyper-competitive telecom/sim companies will be adversely effected but customers will benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK will remain a member of the EU for the time being at least, probably up 2 years, so it will still likely abandon these roaming charges if the rest of the EU does.

Surely EU regulations will specify where roaming charges apply in EU countries. I bought a sim card in Madrid and had to alter roaming settings the instant I crossed over to SJPDP. I expect that there might be a cool attitude to The UK re this development. Wait and see.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yea lots of uncertainty over Brexit. I'd imagine that the UK would be still obliged to follow any EU laws while it is still a member.

I live in the UK and have used the Three network's Pay-as-you-go service for a number of years. Their "Feel-at-Home" international roaming deal has worked very well for me in Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Sweden and Norway in recent years. I find that Three's pricing is very competitive. The point @dougfitz makes about topping-up online requiring a UK-registered card is a bit of a problem for non-Brits though. Perhaps the OP could ask their UK-based family to top-up on their behalf from time to time when necessary? Easily done online for any number on the network: https://www.three.co.uk/Web_top_up

Calls to the USA would not be included as part of a call/text/data bundle but are available on Three's pay-as-you-go service for 3p per minute: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roam...om_the_UK/__destination_details/1214306357859

I am fascinated. Earlier today, we had this post:
Buy a Three pay as you go sim in the UK. You can then use it in France and Spain as if you were in the UK. You can buy 500mb for £5 and you will get 150mb free every time you top up. You can also sign up to monthly plans that will include calls, sms too. I only use it for data though.

but last week, this:

I have always used Orange and find the coverage great. In Pamplona they spoke good English in the Orange store.

So what will it be next week?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Being from the USA, I am totally confused which will be best for my wife and I to use for our Pad and droid phone. I just wrote an email to my carrier here but I doubt they have anything to work over there. Last year on the Camino Frances we carried nothing but a watch and it was a real challenge to go disconnected to say the least. This year we are taking tech with us for we are stating in Norway (September-December) through the following countries : Norway, Sweden, Denmark Germany then a hop over to the Czech Republic, over to France then into Spain for the Camino Norte'. Any suggestions from USA trekkers or anyone for us ?

Hi iwanna!

I think that Long Trails advice is really good - about getting Three card in UK and using it across France and Spain. I think I will try that.
You mentioned that you have family in UK, which gives you an option of leaving some money with them and they could top-up your Three card from UK when you need while you are out in Spain on your walk. All sorted.
Happy journey!
Best wishes,
Sol.

For what it's worth I used Three's 'Feel@Home' on the Frances last year without any issues.
I'll also do the same in Portugal/Spain this year.
....and as I am the original 'Fagin' you'll not find anything more cost effective!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The package I have with my iPhone allows me to use my phone abroad with all the allowances that I have in the UK. Now first off for making calls this sounds good, but it only allows calls to the UK, if you wish to make a call whilst in Spain to a Spanish number, the call goes from Spain to the UK then back to Spain and you pay extra for it. This is because your allowance doesn't allow you to make call within the foreign country. I will, add that e-mail, whats app and text messages are not affected.

I think you will also find that 3 is the same,, my advice would be to buy a local sim card in the country you are in for use in that country, then you don't get stung with hidden costs.

Having said all this I guess I could be wrong:D

Yes it sure is!

You can buy the sim cards is supermarkets. In order to top up online you would have to have a UK registered credit or debit card. The way around this is to ensure you have enough credit on your phone before you leave the UK. You can buy credit everywhere, but this option won't be available in France, Spain etc.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
I will assume I can do the same coming from Canada to the U.K. even the U.K. is not on their list (being a U.K. company)

I have stopped trying to buy sim cards in Europe.
Too irritating. The last one I bought chewed up 10 Euro in the registration process which I never managed to complete.
So I just log into free wifi at cafes accommodations and tourist offices, which allows me to do everything I need to do. I use messenger to call and text people and email.
The emergency nos work anyway on my NZ prepay card.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Being from the USA, I am totally confused which will be best for my wife and I to use for our Pad and droid phone. I just wrote an email to my carrier here but I doubt they have anything to work over there. Last year on the Camino Frances we carried nothing but a watch and it was a real challenge to go disconnected to say the least. This year we are taking tech with us for we are stating in Norway (September-December) through the following countries : Norway, Sweden, Denmark Germany then a hop over to the Czech Republic, over to France then into Spain for the Camino Norte'. Any suggestions from USA trekkers or anyone for us ?
US residents with an android phone from Google can use their Project Fi service overseas with the one sim card they get with the US service. Overseas calls will be 20 cents a minute over cellular but free or near free if you are connected to WiFi. Cellular data is the same worldwide, $10 per GB (but effectively 1 cent per MB either if over or under your limit). https://fi.google.com/about/

Edit: That allows you to keep the same phone number that you use at home so friends and family can easily stay in touch no matter where you are.

Last edited:

but last week, this:

The guy is just trying to be helpful and give some local knowledge. The Orange network is now defunct and was taken over in part by 3.
I never use data on my phone as their are so many free WiFi hot spots in cafes and Albergues that its not worth bothering with this. I just use my phone for just calls (novel hey) - and I do this worldwide. My two pence worth is if you are in the UK then buy a pay as you go sim and you can use it through out Europe (and worldwide)with minimal roaming costs. If you are in Spain then buy one there. If you are in NZ or Auz then buy one there. The tariffs are similar across all the companies and are pretty competitive.
Personally I now just have an UK O2 pay as you go sim as I cant be bothered to keep swapping them in and out. I typically travel world wide for 3 months a year - my total annual phone bill is less then £30. If I have a really long call to make then why not use a local phone card.

The Orange network is now defunct and was taken over in part by 3.
If the wikipedia entries for the two companies are correct, they are structurally independent. Certainly Orange has been sharing fixed infrastructure etc with other mobile providers for some time, but that does not make them the same provider. Thank you for trying, but I don't think my question really has been answered.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I keep reusing the PAYG Orange Sim I bought in Spain a few years ago. It does not expire but lies dormant between visits.
Only valid for one year after last credit-buy!!! I was told that as a foreigner you can only buy pre-paid SIM card in Spain (terrorism prevention etc.???) or be a bank account holder to be able to buy ordinary/long-term SIM card.

Last edited:
I read a couple of weeks ago in a British newspaper that the EU will soon abandon roaming charges.
True. But don't remember exactly whether by the end of June or July 2017.

For the OP - maybe wait with on-line purchase of Spanish SIM card until above info is certain. If your Camino dates are late summer or fall, of course.

After that it will be even harder to choose best offer because maybe Lithuanian or Greek deal would be better than Spanish or Portuguese one :D

True. But don't remember exactly whether by the end of June or July 2017.

For the OP - maybe wait with on-line purchase of Spanish SIM card until above info is certain. If your Camino dates are late summer or fall, of course.

After that it will be even harder to choose best offer because maybe Lithuanian or Greek deal would be better than Spanish or Portuguese one :D
A very complex issue:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-phone-roaming-charges-post-brexit-paper-says
Certainly sounds as though its a push to benefit the consumer. Roaming charges have long been considered a nasty scam.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I live in the UK and have used the Three network's Pay-as-you-go service for a number of years. Their "Feel-at-Home" international roaming deal has worked very well for me in Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Sweden and Norway in recent years. I find that Three's pricing is very competitive. The point @dougfitz makes about topping-up online requiring a UK-registered card is a bit of a problem for non-Brits though. Perhaps the OP could ask their UK-based family to top-up on their behalf from time to time when necessary? Easily done online for any number on the network: https://www.three.co.uk/Web_top_up

Calls to the USA would not be included as part of a call/text/data bundle but are available on Three's pay-as-you-go service for 3p per minute: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roam...om_the_UK/__destination_details/1214306357859

Thank you so much for this info. Very helpful.

US residents with an android phone from Google can use their Project Fi service overseas with the one sim card they get with the US service. Overseas calls will be 20 cents a minute over cellular but free or near free if you are connected to WiFi. Cellular data is the same worldwide, $10 per GB (but effectively 1 cent per MB either if over or under your limit). https://fi.google.com/about/

Edit: That allows you to keep the same phone number that you use at home so friends and family can easily stay in touch no matter where you are.

All I need now is a google droid. I wonder if it would work with my unlocked droid through my google acct. Need to research. Thanks for the info !!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All I need now is a google droid. I wonder if it would work with my unlocked droid through my google acct.
It will only work with Google phones because only they have all the radio frequencies needed. The phone works with both the GSM and CDMA protocols. That means that you can use any US cellular provider. Other than paying for one month's service you are not under contract and the phone is unlocked. Google uses all three of Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular as its providers in the US. FI will use the best connection of them or WiFi that it can connect to. The downside is that Sprint et al do not provide as much coverage in the US as other providers do so if you are in a rural area or travel to one a lot their service may not be for you. Google's cheapest phone usable with the FI service is a Nexus 5X and these are available for $250. A drawback here is that this model doesn't have a memory card slot but a USB OTG dongle might be used.

I mentioned FI here for general information but also in the chance that you might want to pick up another phone soon anyway.

It will only work with Google phones because only they have all the radio frequencies needed. The phone works with both the GSM and CDMA protocols. That means that you can use any US cellular provider. Other than paying for one month's service you are not under contract and the phone is unlocked. Google uses all three of Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular as its providers in the US. FI will use the best connection of them or WiFi that it can connect to. The downside is that Sprint et al do not provide as much coverage in the US as other providers do so if you are in a rural area or travel to one a lot their service may not be for you. Google's cheapest phone usable with the FI service is a Nexus 5X and these are available for $250. A drawback here is that this model doesn't have a memory card slot but a USB OTG dongle might be used.

I mentioned FI here for general information but also in the chance that you might want to pick up another phone soon anyway.

Exactly what I needed to know ! Appreciate the info !!!

Google uses all three of Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular as its providers in the US. FI will use the best connection of them or WiFi that it can connect to. The downside is that Sprint et al do not provide as much coverage in the US as other providers do so if you are in a rural area or travel to one a lot their service may not be for you.
Just thought of this. So, what if you want the FI service because it is really handy if you travel outside the US a lot but you also want coverage in the US rural areas? I think you could get away with doing this: Get a $100 100 minutes in a year prepaid plan with AT&T and an AT&T sim card. Setup your FI account so that when your FI account is called the AT&T number will also get a ring. Then, when in the areas with no FI coverage, swap the SIM cards. Now you call out with your AT&T phone number and when someone calls your FI number your phone should still ring. I'm not sure how this might work with data.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow! You all have provided Bunches of information. I am coming from the US and will be walking in Portugal and Spain from mid April till the end of June. Last year I walked the Frances and used local Spanish SIM cards, that worked fine. Is there a particular card that recommended that I could buy in Portugal or in Spain that would allow me to use it from both countries? I have a Verizon Android.
Thanks

this is what i am gathering:
first, call verizon to get it unlocked so it will work on a european network.
then, buy a local (to the country you are visiting) sim card, pay as you go or pre-paid
i think that might be it, but for us coming from the USA, i'll believe it once it is actually working for me!!

BUT ....... i am so very grateful for all the detailed responses to my question. Thank you all.

this is what i am gathering:
first, call verizon to get it unlocked so it will work on a european network.
then, buy a local (to the country you are visiting) sim card, pay as you go or pre-paid
i think that might be it, but for us coming from the USA, i'll believe it once it is actually working for me!!

BUT ....... i am so very grateful for all the detailed responses to my question. Thank you all.
Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You dont say when you will be in London but as of this June new EU regulations kick in that means the cost of using your phone is the same in all EU member states. How that impacts on calls out of the EU I am not 100% sure so check in advance how much each country charges to phone the US. The sim card however will not need to be changed. Hope my understanding of the new rules is correct, would not want to give you bad info so do double check

I read a couple of weeks ago in a British newspaper that the EU will soon abandon roaming charges. This will change things a lot re EU sim cards, I guess. This change will not apply to the UK for obvious reasons. Keep an eye out for changes. I assume that hyper-competitive telecom/sim companies will be adversely effected but customers will benefit.
It will apply to the UK for the time being as it is still part of the EU for around the next two years. I have read a statement from Vodafone to say the current situation will not affect their compliance with the new roaming rules

but last week, this:

Don't understand your hostility towards me. Not sure what I have said or done? Would be good if you could enlighten me so we can move on.

For your information I use two simcards in Spain, UK Three and Spain Orange. In fact I use my Three sim all over the world as I travel a lot, but will often buy a local one if I am in the country month or more.

My advice for those only needing a simcard for Spain only has not changed. Orange is the best bet in my opinion.

The advice to buy a Three sim was specific to the original poster who needed a three country solution.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For your information I use two simcards in Spain, UK Three and Spain Orange. In fact I use my Three sim all over the world as I travel a lot, but will often buy a local one if I am in the country month or more.
Thank you for clarifying the inconsistencies in your advice.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back