• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

single woman looking for someone to start the walk with

Lauren321

Time of past OR future Camino
Late August 2016
I am looking for someone who would like to join me and get oriented as we set up to start the Camino Frances and arrive at the first Albergue. I live in Ottawa and would be willing to leave from Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal. I am planning to go at the end of August/September.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lauren - I'll be starting in SJPP in early September, but don't have a definite date yet. You might want to join the "Camigas: Buddy System for Women on the Camino" facebook page, which, among other things, has a listing of people leaving from various points at specific dates so that you can locate a partner to start out with. Good luck - maybe we'll cross paths in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lauren,
I also want to second Sandcastles suggestion but want to add a bit more to help with, what I'm sure you are feeling, concerns about a single women walking the Camino. I have walked on the Camino three times and have never ceased to be amazed at the number of women walking it solo. It's a real community out there and I guarantee you that you will make friends and have ample opportunities to team up with others. It's great to plan ahead, to make friends ahead of time but if it does't work out, don't stress. Its a real community of loving and caring people out there.
Buen Camino.

I am looking for someone who would like to join me and get oriented as we set up to start the Camino Frances and arrive at the first Albergue. I live in Ottawa and would be willing to leave from Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal. I am planning to go at the end of August/September.
There is a great group for women on Facebook camigas
Check them out
Buen Camino peregrina

Great info about Facebook! I walked alone last time, half the time, I was actually alone. This time with my daughter for 1st 2 weeks, then alone again. I'd love some company, but I just let it happen, as we all do a different pace, and different albergues.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I just Googl-ed "Canadian Pilgrims on the Camino" and got some hits. Here in the States we have an organization called "American Pilgrims on the Camino". They have many chapters across the country. This is where I got to meet other pilgrims who have walked the Camino and who are planning to walk the Camino. You may want to give this a shot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Lauren, my wife and I are planning on leaving SJPDP on September 6
We are from the Ottawa region(Pontiac).If we can help you in any way let us know.

Lauren - I'll be starting in SJPP in early September, but don't have a definite date yet. You might want to join the "Camigas: Buddy System for Women on the Camino" facebook page, which, among other things, has a listing of people leaving from various points at specific dates so that you can locate a partner to start out with. Good luck - maybe we'll cross paths in Spain.

Thanks for posting the link. I was having trouble finding it on Facebook.
I was having trouble finding it too. thanks!

We are from the Ottawa region(Pontiac).If we can help you in any way let us know.
Thanks... I am just about to book my flight this week. Had some great help on how to get there from someone on this site so my confidence is growing...I am looking at leaving SJPDP Sep 1 and leave Madrid Oct 9th....
After I book, time to look at equipment and train. Are you pl

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just Googl-ed "Canadian Pilgrims on the Camino" and got some hits. Here in the States we have an organization called "American Pilgrims on the Camino". They have many chapters across the country. This is where I got to meet other pilgrims who have walked the Camino and who are planning to walk the Camino. You may want to give this a shot.

thanks, I did find Canadian Pilgrims on the Camino. Their last meeting was full so I could not attend but will look for the next one as I don't plan to leave for the Camino until the end of August

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, thanks I did join them on Facebook> I am leaving SJPdP on Sep 1,2106 so maybe we will bump into each other along the way,

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'll be there on September 6th and leaving on the 8th as long as all is well and I have arranged to have a drink on the 7th with 2 more people on the 7th....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Kerry,
Still on the fence about a sleeping bag as I am planning on looking at the Osprey Stratos 34 pack and it does have a separate compartment for one on the bottom. Maybe that is a sign :)
A therma rest Proton blanket might also be an option. I used to backpack and I found mummy bags constricting and uncomfortable...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love that! I hope everything works out well for you and you are able to walk the Camino this year. Cheers to all of you on the 7th! Maybe we will meet up along the way and we can also have a drink together. I think it would be fun to run into people we have seen on this site

Hi Lauren. I am running a thread on this forum of pilgrims leaving in September or October 2016. You could find some fellow pilgrims leaving around the same time as you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks...I hope to be in SJPdP Sep 1. I will be booking my flight next week and I am wavering between taking 35-40 days.. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks for letting me know about this thread..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks...I hope to be in SJPdP Sep 1. I will be booking my flight next week and I am wavering between taking 35-40 days.. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks for letting me know about this thread..
Did you want me to add you to that thread for a September 1 start?
That number of days seems to be about what many people spend on the Camino Frances. I have 36 days as I have a plane I have to catch.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A therma rest Proton blanket might also be an option. I used to backpack and I found mummy bags constricting and uncomfortable...

I'm looking at the 'blanket' options at the moment. I don't like to be confined in the mummy style bags either.

Hope you have luck getting a good flight, I fly from Newcastle upon Tyne ton Southampton and then a connecting flight across to Bayonne then it's an hours train from there... Flights were cheap £113 and the train I think is around 8 euro's

€83,-
Hope you have luck getting a good flight, I fly from Newcastle upon Tyne ton Southampton and then a connecting flight across to Bayonne then it's an hours train from there... Flights were cheap £113 and the train I think is around 8 euro's

Just checking flights....was going to fly in and out of Paris but now thinking of flying out of Madrid back to Ottawa. May make the trek to Finnistere...
Wavering now between 40-42 days??
Looking for trail shoes tomorrow, and hoping tomorrow is our last day of snow here...-also thinking of taking walking poles ...anyone else?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes I'll be taking walking poles, and found Scarpa shoes are good quality... Good luck

Lauren
I looked at it as simply as I could. I left it at 42 days as I felt there could be many things to grab my attention. I walked SJPDP to Finnestere in 35 days no days off. When I return It will be 42 days again. To save motel costs hang around Finnestere or Santiago a few days using alburgues, if you have excess days. The ride to Madrid just figure 2 days & spend a day Or more exploring Madrid.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lauren
I looked at it as simply as I could. I left it at 42 days as I felt there could be many things to grab my attention. I walked SJPDP to Finnestere in 35 days no days off. When I return It will be 42 days again. To save motel costs hang around Finnestere or Santiago a few days using alburgues, if you have excess days. The ride to Madrid just figure 2 days & spend a day Or more exploring Madrid.
Buen Camino

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will take the 42 days...I see you are from Missoula, I was there a couple of years ago. I love Montana!
I will keep your idea of simple as I get ready for my trip. I am a minimalist already though sometimes err on too little. I am still wavering on sleeping bag vs just liner due to wt of both and my own weight. Trying to keep my bag wt 13-14 lbs. thanks again

Wife and I will be arriving in SJPDP 28th of Aug 7:13pm train from Bayonne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will take the 42 days...I see you are from Missoula, I was there a couple of years ago. I love Montana!
I will keep your idea of simple as I get ready for my trip. I am a minimalist already though sometimes err on too little. I am still wavering on sleeping bag vs just liner due to wt of both and my own weight. Trying to keep my bag wt 13-14 lbs. thanks again
I would make use of Albertagirl experience to decide on the bag vs liner as she spent her time in the fall. Thank you for enjoying our area, we are not an easy journey from most places. Yet not as remote as you can find in Canada. When walking the Meseta it is much like eastern Montana or Alberta. The Meseta is just more populated. You will smile if you lived on a ranch as its like going home.

Hi Lauren:
I walked the camino frances last fall from late the end of September to the middle of November, arriving in Santiago on Nov. 17. I carried a light sleeping bag: weight 98o g., temperature range to +9 C. It was plenty warm and I think that I only used an albergue blanket in addition at Samos, which is cold. You could use a lighter sleeping bag if you have a light weight down bag. I am allergic to down, so I had to buy a new bag for my camino. Also of course, I needed to watch my budget and my new bag cost a little over $100. More cost will get you a lighter bag. If you have a light weight down bag, that would be the best combination for weight and warmth. Otherwise, take what you can afford for price and weight and plan on wearing your warm clothes: eg. tights and a long sleeve shirt, to help you keep warm at night. Keep in mind that another thread suggests that many albergues are no longer providing blankets, in order to avoid infestations of bed bugs. In Galicia, the Xunta albergues do not provide blankets, so you would have to take your chances in private albergues if you only had a liner. Of course, you are going a month or so earlier than I did, so it may well be much warmer then and you could manage with just a liner and warm clothes.
Buen camino

Hello, I am looking to hike some of the Camino. Would love to have some company as I'm 55 year old Australian lady currently living expat life in Africa and am not braves enough to do it alone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lauren, I walked the CF last year from late August it took me 38 days which included 3 rest days. I am doing it again this year as I really enjoyed it, I'm leaving around 10th September, I won't be taking a sleeping bag I took one last year and never used it. It was very warm I did take a large silk liner at that was warm enough by far. You will find everyone most helpful and friendly just like this forum..Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back