• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sink plugs?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many albergues will have a laundry sink and usually some plastic tubs stacked nearby about the size of a foot bath. You should fill a plastic tub and wash your laundry in that. If you are at a hotel, etc. you may not have a vessel for washing.
edit: this allows for more than one person to wash at a time.

I found most places had a sink outside (or somewhere) - and many had basins that you could fill with water and do your laundry in the basin instead of a sink. No plug? I just gave a really good scrub and rinse. Did a better wash the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know you specifically asked about albergues but, just fyi, private rooms in hotels, casa rurals, pensions, etc often do not have a plug for the bathroom sink. I carry a flat suction stopper that weighs 20 grams for my private stays. You can use a sock stuffed in the drain of course but, as C Clearly said, it is challenging to complete the task before the water drains.

I used to carry one of those flat rubber discs, but have found that a wadded up plastic bag works perfectly, is basically zero weight, and I always have a few extras on hand. I do like to let things soak for a while to give the detergent time to do its work, so just rinsing isn’t worth the bother.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tend to spot wash soiled areas first,which do not normally require lots of water. Except for a short sleeve shirt and a pair of ultralite base layer pants. I give everything a quick wash and rinse well because right now tree pollen is high and I am allergic. Most often I usually use my underwear around the drain as these are cotton and they afford-me sufficient time to wash several Items.

My laundry bag (a drawstring stuffsack):
block of laundry soap 125g
universal sink plug 10g
4 x plastic clothes pegs 25g

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you want to wash your clothes in hand, do the sinks in the bathrooms or in designated areas in albergues (esp. camino de norte) have plugs?
I brought a wide lipped plug and used it maybe twice and was glad I had it.

When you want to wash your clothes in hand, do the sinks in the bathrooms or in designated areas in albergues (esp. camino de norte) have plugs?
I carry a scruba
I use it for dirty clothes when im not using it to wash. It can also be used as a dry bag. Pretty handy and multi use.

I always bring a flat, 4" rubber sink stopper purchased from the Dollar store, although I've only needed to use it a few times.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. I have a universal rubber plug that I take everywhere, so I will take it with me again. It is small and light.
You will not regret having it. I always pack mine and more often than not, it is needed for washing clothing and sometimes dishes. An insignificant weight penalty for a useful item.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After trying to hand-wash under a running tap I bought a travel plug. However I won't bring it next time as I never used it. I now use a drybag to soak my clothes in warm soapy water while I shower. It's easy to squish the items through the bag. I then rinse in a sink or in the bag if there's no plug. The drybag dries very quickly and is used to store my clean clothes.

I injured myself carrying too much. 10g is definitely nothing...until it is put with too many other little nothings that have added several kg to total carry weight. The one thing I am most grateful for is learning from these wonderful Forum Members around us, is to make one thing do the job of and replace those many little things.

Once the carry list is made and accumulated, handle each piece, (it may seem useless to do but bear with it), determine in your mind what that piece can do beyond its main purpose. Look at a sock. We usually use one light and one heavy pair of socks per day. Heavy socks can, as previously mentioned, stop a drain or stand in as mitts if the wind gets too freezing. Light socks, wet or dry, can shield hands from the Sun, cushion the hands on walking poles...just imagine possibilities. Do this with everything. This is where reductions are made. Make less do more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I usually carry some of the screw on caps from the litre / 1.5 lt fruit cartons or the like.

I injured myself carrying too much. 10g is definitely nothing...until it is put with too many other little nothings that have added several kg to total carry weight. The one thing I am most grateful for is learning from these wonderful Forum Members around us, is to make one thing do the job of and replace those many little things.

Once the carry list is made and accumulated, handle each piece, (it may seem useless to do but bear with it), determine in your mind what that piece can do beyond its main purpose. Look at a sock. We usually use one light and one heavy pair of socks per day. Heavy socks can, as previously mentioned, stop a drain or stand in as mitts if the wind gets too freezing. Light socks, wet or dry, can shield hands from the Sun, cushion the hands on walking poles...just imagine possibilities. Do this with everything. This is where reductions are made. Make less do more.
I sure get the point. I am piling things at the moment and will weigh everything next Monday and see (flying on Tuesday).
My intention is to get close to 5-6kg without water.

I always carry a universal sink plug when I travel but I never needed it on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A 10 cm square piece of a used inner tube is a light, universal sink plug.

Whenever you travel, anywhere, home or abroad, ALWAYS take a travel plug; it's the law.

I had a travel plug for about twenty years, always stayed in my washbag. It got perished and crumbled away so I chucked it; recently went to Morocco, lovely modernised riad but no plug; ah I said, I have a solution, reached in my washbag, remembered! Got a new one as soon as we got home. DOH!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I made this foam plug. Works on all sinks and is so light it would not even register on my gram

I have a dense sponge in my home water filter jug … I’ll cut it to size!
Thanks!!! 😊

Actually, the plug I always used to prevent my lenses from washing away was a lot lighter than a travel plug. It had holes in it, to allow the water to run through - but not the lens .. ultralight!! 😉
… but as much use as a chocolate teapot for washing clothes …, 🙃

I had one and found it very useful for hotels and guesthouses (work travel) but didn't really use it much on the Frances. I think I forgot it in a sink somewhere and made one out of a cut up lid of a guacamole tub and it worked perfectly. I probably should have handwashed more but the people travelling at the same pace as me almost always did a machine wash and would ask if I had any things to pop in to fill up the load. Next time I will try the in shower method or a scrubba bag

Whenever you travel, anywhere, home or abroad, ALWAYS take a travel plug; it's the law.

I had a travel plug for about twenty years, always stayed in my washbag. It got perished and crumbled away so I chucked it; recently went to Morocco, lovely modernised riad but no plug; ah I said, I have a solution, reached in my washbag, remembered! Got a new one as soon as we got home. DOH!
Made me smile to see you live in . . . Bath!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: the aforementioned rubber disc. I went to my local discount store and got a silicon mat - it was about $2. I cut three discs -14 cm/5.5 in. It weighs 25g/.9 oz. It works great. IMG_20220430_112756~2.jpg

I carry a universal sink plug. Nine out of ten places do not have plugs. I have lent it to a great number of pilgrims to wash their clothes. I have had this plug for over 20 years and used it many hundreds of times. It was $3.50 well spent.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.