• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino SirJizzle on the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon

SirJizzle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés/Inglés(Ferrol)/Norte/primitivo
Hey Guys,
I arrived today in Lisbon.
Due to a delay on the flight I arrived kind of late around 1900 at the Airport.
1 hour later I found a Hostel and grabbed a paella next door.
Now I am considering to stay one day in Lisbon. The city seems like a beautiful city and I haven't had time to see it that much.
My original plan was to go to Alhandra tomorrow (almost 30km).

I guess I will find out tomorrow:)

I was a little bit confused.
I asked the hostelliero for a Stamp in the Credencial and he had absolutely no clue what I was talking about (Camino de Santiago? You go by Bus?)

Crazy... On the Frances/Norte/Inglés etc. They all are so aware about THE camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Crazy... On the Frances/Norte/Inglés etc. They all are so aware about THE camino
On the Frances, the Norte and the Ingles the Camino is usually a major feature of the local cultural landscape and a significant money generator. Have you looked up how many people actually start a Camino in Lisbon? Very few!

PS: I just looked at the 2019 stats. 2,651 who started from Lisbon out of a total just under 350,000. So on average about 7 people per day leaving from a major capital city. I think you might not notice that if you were not interested in pilgrimage.

Last edited:
I haven't saw any of the loved yellow shells or arrows.
Will I find them tomorrow with sunlight?
Should I just go to the Cathedral and search for them?
Any hints?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any hints?
You can do that, but I understand that the Camino Portuguese route starts from the Igreja de Santiago, a little to the NE of the Se, on Rua de Santiago. It was closed when I visited on the day before I started, but I walked down to the Se, and got my first stamp there after the midday mass. It clearly was not normal to do this, as the visitor booth wasn't open on Sundays, and someone went to the sacristy to find the stamp. As I was leaving, they were closing the cathedral to visitors, so if I hadn't attended mass, I would not have been able to get my first stamp there.

I found that once I was on the route, cafes, etc were familiar with the routine of stamping the credential.

Bom Dia Peregrino.
I finished my CP (Central) from Lisbon via Fatima at the end of September. In order, as I remember, there was COVID restrictions at Alpriate. The hospitalero was insistent on vaccination status. Pretty straight run to Santarem after that. (I think one in Valada may be closed) where it splits to Fatima.(if you ever lose the yellow arrow as far as Santarem, follow the blue ones, it's an identical route). Can't speak from Santarem to Ansiao. Back on the CP from Alvaizaire, again everywhere pretty much open until Sao João de Medeira, only hotels but you can stay with the Bombieros for a small donation. Ask nicely, be respectful, and they'll truly look after you. Again, pretty straight forward to Porto and beyond. Obviously there's closures for winter, etc. so can't speak about that, but yeah, pretty much every albergue was open this year. Enjoy Portugal, it's a beautiful country with wonderful hospitable people who truly look after pilgrims. The CP is as historic as the the CF, plus there's the pilgrimages to Fatima, so they embrace pilgrims. Pretty much everywhere will have a stamp. My favourite albergues in geographic order were Azambuja, Fatima, Alvaizaire, Agueda, Senhora da Hora, Sao Pedro de Rates and only the albergue at Portela Barrio in Galicia. Oh, and one last thing, try not to accidentally speak Spanish to them. Pilgrim or not, they don't like it by all accounts. Oh I forgot, tip about the blue arrows, after Fatima, on the way to Santiago, the arrows head back that way on the CP for pretty much the majority of the way. Certainly as far as Porto and beyond, up to the border, if you think you're a bit lost, look behind you for an arrow to Fatima, if you see one, you're on the CP, but the route is pretty much signed, arrowed and shelled all the way from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela. The first arrow is right outside the Sé Cathedral. Bom Caminho.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FYI: Alhandra is 35.7km per Wise Pilgrim and 37.0km per Gronze.

With rain forecast today but sunshine the next four days, maybe a day in Lisbon today wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Bom caminho!

as the visitor booth wasn't open on Sundays, and someone went to the sacristy to find the stamp. .....so if I hadn't attended mass, I would not have been able to get my first stamp there.

Same goes for Santander Cathedral. Ask at the sacristy after mass.

I suppose if you think about it, any pilgrim could get a stamp if they check the local mass times and wait until the end to catch the priest or a helper. Mass is not obligatory but helps.

Any hints?
Go to the cathederal, get your first stamp there and then head down the street on the right as you face the cathederal. There is a very faded yellow arrow on the corner of the cathederal. There are arrows leading down the hill but they can be hard to spot. Bom Caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well,
Thank you all for your friendly and helpful messages.
I found the Cathedral (closed, will open at 10) and the other place @dougfitz announced (closed as well and no sign for opening hours).
Than I found this lovely pavilion cafe with the awesome view and had my first emotional opening. Usually I am not really that emotional (at least not that fast) and on the other Caminos I had it after weeks of walking or just in Santiago after arrival.

But as soon as I saw this wonderful view there was a wave crushing over me which said "Hey Mate, it's done. Turn of everything, calm down and continue your Camino"(you know... The way never ends, it will just get interrupted sometimes)

The last couple of years where kind of shitty for me.
A long term relationship ended, last year my mom died out of a sudden suffering a brain stroke with 60, and of course, all of us had it, COVID hit hard.
Since 3 years I haven't had vacation due to a shortage of personal in my job and in the beginning of the year the war started. I am not an Ukrainian, nor a Russian but due to my work I have a closer emotional contact to that situation than I prefer.

So.
My small emotional opening(I don't want to call it breakdown - even if a lot of people would call it like that) I decided NOT to stay in Lisbon even if the city is beautiful. I will come back for a week to enjoy the city. But today it feels like I have to walk.

I will finish my (third) coffee now, go to the Cathedral, try to get my second, first stamp and start.
Grap as soon as possible somewhere a bottle of water...
Step after step.

Buen Camino to all of you!

Attachments

• IMG20221108090055.jpg
    IMG20221108090055.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 36
I'm glad you had that inspirational moment this morning but I hope you didn't get too wet on the trail today! It was raining hard in the late morning / early afternoon today in the part of Lisbon where I live.

I'm glad you had that inspirational moment this morning but I hope you didn't get too wet on the trail today! It was raining hard in the late morning / early afternoon today in the part of Lisbon where I live.
Hey hey, not too wet is a good one :D
Really have some rivers in my shoes. I lost my way in between for almost 1 1/2 hours.
Now I try to reach some how Alverca do Ribatejo. They called some some hosted friends all of them are closed and in Alverca do Ribatejo is one open.

Just 12km or something left

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fazit of the Day:

The rain was really heavy.
I haven't expected a rough first day like that but hey... The Camino will know what I need.
I was crying, randomly laughing, loudly singing, shouting.
My legs are burning, my shoes can't be more wet, feets are burning and my shoulders are sore.

I was kind of stupid today and over did it totally.

I took a small de-tour to the Decathlon and thought that I will find back on track if I just walk to the end of the road and to the right.

Then I found the parque and went inside to the Vodafone store to buy a PrePaid Phone Card.

At the moment I wanted to leave it started to rain incredibly strong.
I was not able to find the arrows again and just walked straight... My shoes where overfloating and I was hardly able to see more than 2Meters...
I haven't had any break(just the short stop in the parque) and decided to find the way and make a break than...
Well... I found the arrows again next to the river which I had to cross.
And no Bar, Café or something...
So. I moved on... After a while I found a Bar. 40minutes later I arrived at the Hostel which I called and they promised me via phone to have a bed for me.
Well... I arrived and they where closed, tried to call several times and they didn't responded.

So I continued.
My Smartwatch is telling me something about 41.000 steps.
That is more than I wanted to do and I haven't arrived where I wanted to arrive.

I am curious about my Camino tomorrow :)

I really love this way

That’s a very tough day. Well done on getting through it with a positive attitude!

And even though you got soaked, it could have been worse as Lisbon was hit with a mini tornado today.

Lisbon tornado captured on film (includes video)

The forecast tomorrow is for completely sunny conditions. Ultreia!

Last edited:
FYI: Alhandra is 35.7km per Wise Pilgrim and 37.0km per Gronze.

With rain forecast today but sunshine the next four days, maybe a day in Lisbon today wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Bom caminho!
Anyhow!
Gronze and Wise Pilgrim are lying in my case 😂
For me it was round about 40km to Alverca.
And happy that I haven't stayed in Lisbon with the tornado

€46,-
Hey Guys,
I arrived today in Lisbon.
Due to a delay on the flight I arrived kind of late around 1900 at the Airport.
1 hour later I found a Hostel and grabbed a paella next door.
Now I am considering to stay one day in Lisbon. The city seems like a beautiful city and I haven't had time to see it that much.

I guess I will find out tomorrow:)

I was a little bit confused.
I asked the hostelliero for a Stamp in the Credencial and he had absolutely no clue what I was talking about (Camino de Santiago? You go by Bus?)

Well someone’s going to ask you sooner or later; is there a story behind your chosen username?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fazit of the Day:

The rain was really heavy.
I haven't expected a rough first day like that but hey... The Camino will know what I need.
I was crying, randomly laughing, loudly singing, shouting.
My legs are burning, my shoes can't be more wet, feets are burning and my shoulders are sore.

I was kind of stupid today and over did it totally.

I took a small de-tour to the Decathlon and thought that I will find back on track if I just walk to the end of the road and to the right.

Then I found the parque and went inside to the Vodafone store to buy a PrePaid Phone Card.

At the moment I wanted to leave it started to rain incredibly strong.
I was not able to find the arrows again and just walked straight... My shoes where overfloating and I was hardly able to see more than 2Meters...
I haven't had any break(just the short stop in the parque) and decided to find the way and make a break than...
Well... I found the arrows again next to the river which I had to cross.
And no Bar, Café or something...
So. I moved on... After a while I found a Bar. 40minutes later I arrived at the Hostel which I called and they promised me via phone to have a bed for me.
Well... I arrived and they where closed, tried to call several times and they didn't responded.

So I continued.
My Smartwatch is telling me something about 41.000 steps.
That is more than I wanted to do and I haven't arrived where I wanted to arrive.

I am curious about my Camino tomorrow :)

I really love this way
Sending you love ❤️

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back