• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sites to not miss

mariahiles

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Sept-Oct. (2017)
Hello fellow pilgrims. I will begin my journey at the end of August, and - since there is not a lot of time for sightseeing, I'm wondering what are the spots (castles? etc.) not to miss? Your guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi mariahiles.
I guess it all depends on what your interests are... I started my Camino from Lourdes to Santiago at the end of August last year and loved different aspects of it. The scenery, the churches, the cities and the fellow pilgrims I met along the way. I am a keen photographer and enjoyed the cultural aspects such as festivities in Pamplona (medieval celebrations) and Cirauqui's Fiesta del Vino (wine fest), for instance; loved the old cathedrals in Burgos and Leon; the mountain streams along the Chemin de Piedmont in the South of France; learning how to use the walking sticks during the crossing of the Pyrenees; the pinchos in Logroño; the taste of the grapes, wild berries and the figs in a hot September afternoon; looking at the wide Spanish skies while lying on a bale of hay; the Hermit of San Nicolás; the Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo; Ventosa and Torres del Río; the nuns singing in the Iglesia de Santa María del Camino in Carrión de los Condes and the Botafumeiro during the pilgrims mass in the Catedral de Santiago... or any pilgrims mass for that matter!
What is there not to like along the Camino?! So, the best answer I can give to your question is... DO NOT MISS BEING THERE, PRESENT AT EVERY MOMENT! Be aware, be awake, do not miss YOU IN EVERY MOMENT, IN EVERY STEP!!! ...for whatever is worth...
BUEN CAMINO!

Several places right on the Camino, Eunate Church just before Puente La Reina - leaving Logroño pick your head up to see the most amazing Matamoros on the Camino on the facade of the Iglesia de Santiago, Abbey of Santa María la Real de Las Huelgas today a museum in Burgos, take the tour, San Isodoro in Leon the Royal Pantheon not the church which is next door, Vilar de Donas just before Palas de Rei, and in Santiago my favorite and most amazing church, Santa María la Real de Sar, living proof for why they invented the butress.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I keep finding new things - so I keep returning. That seems to be the answer!

PS The so-called Templar Castle in Ponferrada is more Disney than Templar-they didn't build it and they didn't stay for long-something like George Washington Slept Here in North America it can be admired from outside and skipped, if you like Romanesque sculpture )I certainly do) then San Martín de Tours de Frómista is for you, the church is rather austere but look up for the capitals on all the columns.

In Leon there is the gothic cathedral of course but during the camino I found a great appreciation for the romanesque period. The camino in Leon passes the Basilica of San Isidoro and attached to that is a museum that conatains books and other objects of that period but there were two things that absolutely fascinated me, the 11th century Royal Pantheon and the chalice of Dona Urraca, one of the Holy Grails that Europe is so full of. The Royal Pantheon is sometimes called the "Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art" and a recent book documented the chalice (and did such a job that it might be off display for awhile.) If you are a Gaudi fan then see the Casa de los Botines (in front there is a statue of Gaudi sketching the building.) It won't take long to see this so don't fret about putting it into an already tight schedule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalice_of_Doña_Urraca
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Isidoro
http://www.santogrialdeleon.org/en/basilica-of-san-isidoro/royal-pantheon
http://www.santogrialdeleon.org/en/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello fellow pilgrims. I will begin my journey at the end of August, and - since there is not a lot of time for sightseeing, I'm wondering what are the spots (castles? etc.) not to miss? Your guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Astorga is not to be missed. If you are planning a rest day or twothis would be a great place for one. We found ourselves taking lots of rest days to enjoy local things along the way. I was very busy with other pilgrims though from late August through the first part of Oct.

Thank you all, this is very helpful. This is my first Camino, and only my 2nd trip anywhere, and I'm traveling from BC Canada, so quite the trip for this non traveler! I am eagerly anticipating "all" experiences and sights. Grasias!

Astorga is not to be missed. If you are planning a rest day or twothis would be a great place for one. We found ourselves taking lots of rest days to enjoy local things along the way. I was very busy with other pilgrims though from late August through the first part of Oct.
I am certainly "hoping" for a rest day or two! Anything particular in Astorga? Any good massage places? haha :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Astorga has a very pretty square and the cathedral is worth a visit too. And there have been some Roman ruins discovered that are now visible. But IMO the top site is a visit to the inside of the Gaudi Bishop's Palace. It's now a museum. I have a vivid memory of the Cordoba-mosque-like architecture inside, which I found beautiful, but no memory of whatever was on display on the walls. :( But for my money, the architecture is worth the price of admission.

unless you take 'days off', you most likely won't want to sightsee after a day on the Camino. places 'off the Camino' (usually too far to walk to) that are worth visiting are also usually hard to get to via public transport. in any case, you'll be walking past castles, cathedrals, and convents - and if they are open, pay up and have a look round.

the chapel of santa maría de eunate is just off the french camino at puente la reina and on the aragon route, i think it's worth the effort to get too.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Astorga has a very pretty square and the cathedral is worth a visit too. And there have been some Roman ruins discovered that are now visible. But IMO the top site is a visit to the inside of the Gaudi Bishop's Palace. It's now a museum. I have a vivid memory of the Cordoba-mosque-like architecture inside, which I found beautiful, but no memory of whatever was on display on the walls. :( But for my money, the architecture is worth the price of admission.
Please do not forget the "Chocolate Museum"!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back