• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sitting in Dublin airport....

Roddy McC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances...right now!
Well I've done everything I could. Left my job, said goodbye and got a pretty full back pack on my shoulders. (like everyone's I'm sure, probably too full)

Im waiting in Dublin Airport for my flight to Bordeaux where I'm gonna stay for the night and then I'll get the train to SJDPP on Thursday.

Here's a question. Is there anything to do in St Jean? By the time I get there (lunch time/mid afternoon) it'll probably be too late to start walking so is there any thing worth seeing/ doing? Or will I just be waiting around in the hostel waiting to start on Friday?

Thanks guys. Any other last minute advice?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walk around, enjoy the castle, the views, the river. Look at the mountains you'll be in the next day and feel what you feel, doing that. Get your first stamp (and map and list of albergues) in the Pilgrim's Office. Check out La Boutique du Pelerin for last minute needs, chat with the proprietors who have both walked the way. Sit in the beautiful old church...maybe light a candle...let your heart catch up to where your body is.
There's LOTS to do! :)
And above all have a grand Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lots of good advice above about how to pass an afternoon in St Jean. Make sure you get share time with other pilgrims and don't be shy at asking if you can join them. You may not walk with them but you will see them often along the way, losing and gaining them back. They and others will become part of your daily routine. Above all though don't try to keep up with others when walking. If you exceed your pace (especially if your pack is as heavy as intimated) the Camino will bite! You can always arrange a place to meet up later.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can get shells right in the Pilgrim's office. Also, check with the tourist booth to see what's going on in St. Jean that night. When we went, there was some festival going on. . . and on. . . and on into the wee hours of the night :) Great music to listen to, but not very good for the beauty sleep I so desperately need :) There are a lot of things to see in St. Jean. Have a Buen Camino :)

My God you guys. It's beautiful.

I have just walked around this little old town and am back in my hotel (hey one night of comfort...) and I'm astounded by its beauty! I got the bus from Bayonne (which was packed with pilgrims) and the scenery was stunning. What a journey already! Gotta head out later and get some last minute things though for now I'm just gonna relax. Though I have a few writing loose ends to tie up! I want to get a pen knife in case of emergency, a pilgrim shell and I need some toothpaste! (you always forget something!). Lets hope I find them.

Also do I need to go to the Pilgrim Office if I already have a passport? Do they give you a stamp? stupid question?

Attachments

• DSC_0943.JPG
    DSC_0943.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have probably already found out that they give you a stamp, buen camino!

Yes Roddy go to the Pilgrims office and they'll stamp your credential/passport for you-nice to get the 1st one done (or if you've already got one from St James Gate Dublin then the 2nd)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning Roddy...and it IS a good morning. Today you will walk! UP. Ultreia and Buen Camino!!
Thanks for the photo. Beautiful! And no doubt many of us are nostalgic as a result! :)

Good luck Roddy - enjoy every step of the way! - Let us know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be in Dublin Airport in Sept heading off to Bilbao to start where I stopped last year, walking from Logrono to Leon :)

Thanks everyone.

Currently in Zubiri after a walk from Ronsavalles. We suspect a fellow Pilgrim had sunstroke so I went back to help her and we got an ambulance for her in the afternoon. Very concerning experience and it could happen to anyone.

I kinda wanted to make it to Laurisonne so the journey to Pamplona would be a kinda short day tomorrow but that's not a complaint. Someone was in trouble and everyone helps each other out. Im struck by people's kindness and openness. The way is beautiful and I'm falling in love quite quickly.

Was woken up at 6 by a guitar playing man that worked in the albergue at Roncesvalles so I'm ready for anything now.

After Pamplona I will have to go a bit faster if I am to make it to Santiago on time. Thinking of sending a few things ahead to Santiago so I am lighter and can go faster. What are my options?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Roddy,
For sending your parcel to Ivar the main post office/Correos in Pamplona is at ave Sanchos El Fuerte 69.

MM

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back