• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Six month long journey with three mules and two dogs

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My kind of person! 😍

Did not want to leave her dogs because they are more than friends, and concluded that together they probably would have to camp because the dogs would not be allowed to enter albergues. Hence the mules, because she finds herself too lazy to carry all the gear. Shake hands, Johanna! I guess you took more than one mule so they would not be lonely, they dislike that loudly.

I wonder how she is going back to Germany?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Spanish isn't quite up to snuff, but did she say that she wanted to learn new languages, didn't feel like she was making enough progress in Spanish, stopped talking to other pilgrims in English, and practiced a lot of French as a result?

My Spanish isn't quite up to snuff, but did she say that she wanted to learn new languages, didn't feel like she was making enough progress in Spanish, stopped talking to other pilgrims in English, and practiced a lot of French as a result?
Not quite: She wanted to travel with her animals and learn new languages but unfortunately she made little progress with her Spanish because she ended up speaking to almost all the pilgrims in English [within Spain]. However, she did practice a lot of French while crossing France," she said (and she communicated all this in English to the Spanish reporter who wrote the news article in Spanish).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On Friday, just over 500 pilgrims finished the Camino de Santiago in the Plaza del Obradoiro. Some alone, others in a group, by bike, walking, trotting... Johanna Katharina Lungwitz did it together with three mules and two dogs. The 23-year-old German, born in Chemnitz, had been advancing on foot towards Compostela for just over six months. He left on May 11 and traveled 3,000 kilometers to the Galician capital. She says that “she wanted to travel with her animals and learn new languages, although unfortunately I barely made any progress in my Spanish, because I ended up speaking to almost all the pilgrims in English. However, I did practice my French a lot crossing the country”, he comments, communicating – once again – in the language of Shakespeare.

And why travel with these peculiar companions? She admits that it would be easier to make the pilgrimage by herself, but Temmi and Tari are more than just pets to her: "They are my friends and they had to come with me." He explains that "rarely" shelters allow dogs on their premises. And, organizing the trip, he continues, “I knew that some days I would have to camp, so I needed to take all the camping equipment and food for the dogs with me. The mules also came because I am too lazy to carry all that by myself. He assures that finding a place for the equines (Sam, Merlin and Totoro) to spend the night was not the problem, since "most of the towns have forgotten corners where I can leave them." What he used to do, he recounts, was "going to the shelters throughout the day to shower and wash clothes, but he left the cities at nightfall."

This is the first time the young German has done the Camino de Santiago, "and the first time traveling with mules," she jokingly points out. Only an hour after arriving at the Obradoiro, he was already resuming the march with his troupe, heading for Fisterra. His intention is to arrive between today and tomorrow. And, at the end of the month, to return to Germany with his furry family, to look for a job there and gather some savings with which to travel again next summer as he is doing now. Currently, Johanna says, she does not have a permanent job and her last job was at a farm specializing in therapy animals for people with disabilities.

well done to her

A German peregrina has just arrived in Santiago after making a six month journey with three mules and two dogs. She hopes to end her journey at Fisterra in the next day or two.

I met her in St Jean Pied de Port, making her way down the Rue de la Citadelle. It's wonderful to hear that she has arrived in Santiago. She's an amazing young woman!

Shake hands, Johanna! I guess you took more than one mule so they would not be lonely, they dislike that loudly.
On my first Camino I met a young Spanish couple in Samos who were walking with a donkey and camping along the way. Such an unusual sight even then that the entire bar emptied as people went into the street to watch them pass by and wish them "Buen camino!". They were very kind-hearted people and probably carrying more than the donkey did. :) We crossed paths several times before Santiago. Early one morning I saw them in a field. The donkey was being uncooperative. Every time the woman tried to grab hold of her halter the donkey ran away for a few steps. This went on for at least five minutes until I decided to leave them to sort it out in private. I've always assumed they reached Santiago eventually. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just met Johanna, her three mules, (although one looked like a donkey), two dogs and now one cat - in Muxia this afternoon. I went out for a hot chocolate and there she was at my ‘local’. We shared stories and had a great Camino conversation.
Johanna, may the final stages of your Camino - to Finistere- be filled with ease and joy and may you life unfold with great ease and beauty. 🌈🌈🌈

Attachments

• 6452D41C-8E71-472D-9D4A-8C78411DF6EE.jpeg
    6452D41C-8E71-472D-9D4A-8C78411DF6EE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • C26F0DF5-0CD3-4CBB-A3EB-D033822E1E81.jpeg
    C26F0DF5-0CD3-4CBB-A3EB-D033822E1E81.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • F5ED77C9-8610-4A7C-B600-B8C117E1D079.jpeg
    F5ED77C9-8610-4A7C-B600-B8C117E1D079.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.