• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Six plus two ladies on the camino portugues

Emia

Hola peregrinos/peregrinas,

Some time ago I shared my daydream to walk the Camino Portugues together with my collegue and 6 very special young ladies between 15 and 21. Autisme, borderline and bipolar issues, educational and behavioral problems, emotional and physical and sexual abuse - you name it, we've got it.

Well, I'm delighted to say that our big boss finally gave us his permission and he also told everyone involved to help us. Due to the financial and logistical issues it is still a long way to go.

It also might become a bit of a problem since there are 2 transgender girls in our group, taking hormons to finally become boys. Which is a normal situation for me and my collegue, but probably not for all pilgrims. That causes me some worries. Will they be accepted like any other pilgrim? The use of male of female bathrooms won't be a problem, they really don't care as long as they can have a shower.

I hope all things will turn out well.

Have a nice sunday!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From my experience there is nowhere more accepting than the camino. Generally everyone just takes everyone as they are. Mixed dorms and bathrooms are the norm and generally everyone is very respectful of each other. As always there are some exceptions to any general comment however they seem to me to be less than one would normally encounter. They might not meet too many in their age profile though. And rest assured they will have wifi.., I know it's an essential at that age lol.

I’d say there is no one “pilgrim response” - it will depend on the people you come across.
We walked with one guy who really was seriously unusual. Most pIlgrims muttered about him or ignored him completely. While he never accepted our invitation to eat meals we cooked for everyone, he did occasionally answer my questions about his interests and plans. He seemed to expect to not be included.

We walked with another man whose husband of nearly ten years had just died. On the night of his tenth anniversary all the pilgrims at the albergue shared dinner together and he wanted to reminisce. When he got to showing wedding photos on his phone some other pilgrims clearly felt this was inappropriate for my kids (ages 8-13) and drew them away to engage them in a different conversation.

We walked with another man whose wife had committed suicide and had some very heartfelt conversations.

We purposely walked a really long stage (with two other young ladies walking solo) to get away from a guy who had forced his way into the ladies’ shower twice in five minutes.

You meet all sorts of people on a pilgrimage. As in daily life, I imagine you will find different levels of acceptance.

I wish you all the best as you prepare for this adventure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done you. I’m sure you have put in a lot of planning and hard work in getting the approval. What an adventure!

You meet all sorts of people on a pilgrimage. As in daily life, I imagine you will find different levels of acceptance.
If you are really unlucky you will meet this old pagan and a thousand like me who won't give a damn unless all you expect is the respect you'll grant me. In other words: I offer you my respect. Be brave; what happens is only what happens.

Some time ago I shared my daydream to walk the Camino Portugues together with my collegue and 6 very special young ladies between 15 and 21. Autisme, borderline and bipolar issues, educational and behavioral problems, emotional and physical and sexual abuse - you name it, we've got it.

Well, I'm delighted to say that our big boss finally gave us his permission and he also told everyone involved to help us. Due to the financial and logistical issues it is still a long way to go.

It also might become a bit of a problem since there are 2 transgender girls in our group, taking hormons to finally become boys. Which is a normal situation for me and my collegue, but probably not for all pilgrims. That causes me some worries. Will they be accepted like any other pilgrim? The use of male of female bathrooms won't be a problem, they really don't care as long as they can have a shower.

Have a nice sunday!

Anything I can do to help to make that pilgrimage reality, just tell me, really! Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Have a nice sunday!
Wish you all a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino,Peter.

p.s. as already stated when you have questions just ask.

If you are really unlucky you will meet this old pagan and a thousand like me who won't give a damn unless all you expect is the respect you'll grant me. In other words: I offer you my respect. Be brave; what happens is only what happens.
I hope to meet you some day!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is wonderful news Emia - I understand the love and skills you need to undertake such a project- so well done ! - what an experience it will be for those " special young ladies" and very rewarding for the two of you.

Have you been doing practice walks/hikes with the group...weekend walks perhaps with an overnight stay. A hike in poor weather? I would be less concerned with the pilgrims on the Camino and more concerned about the impact of daily fatigue, constant change of location and different diet on your group. Where possible might try to simulate circumstances ahead of time.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Have a nice sunday!
I can't think of any country more relaxed about bathrooms,unless it has changed. Everyone shares unless you are in a church sponsored alburgue. They have stalls for the most part. People are not too worried about the issue & if they are most of them find private accommodation. Very healthy mind set!
Buen Camino!
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One tip that may help along the way is to begin to refer to the two transitioning young people by the gender identity that they know themselves to be. Other pilgrims should be introduced to them as boys/young men, not young ladies. With each step along the way they will become more fully free to be themselves.

Some time ago I shared my daydream to walk the Camino Portugues together with my collegue and 6 very special young ladies between 15 and 21....

It also might become a bit of a problem since there are 2 transgender girls in our group, taking hormons to finally become boys. Which is a normal situation for me and my collegue, but probably not for all pilgrims. That causes me some worries.

I would echo the previous response. It sounds to me like you are walking with four very special young ladies and two very special young gentlemen. If they are transgender boys, the hormones aren't to help them finally become boys, but to bring their bodies in line with the gender they already identify as.

In general, I don't think it is likely to be too much of a problem. People are open and accepting on the Camino, in my experience. In the washrooms they can use stalls. The only issue might be in the showers. Most albergue I stayed at on the CF had separate shower stalls with doors. If Portugal is the same, that shouldn't be a problem, either. Even if it is like a few albergue we came across in Galicia, where there are no doors on the showers, I don't think most guys look in on other guys in the shower. Finally, if they are seen, I would expect there to be much less of a reaction to trans boys in a men's washroom/shower than trans girls in a women's.

The Camino is a great place to discover yourself and the variety that there is in this world. I think that these young men will benefit from that and provide it to others.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back