• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Size of Day Pack

Curlygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - August - September 2015
My question is directed to people who have walked the CF and had their packs transferred each day. I need some help deciding on the sizes of a day pack and transfer bag.

I am a 64 year old female, 5’ 2’ and 130 lbs, and will be walking the CF in late August and September from Saint Jean to SDDC with my husband. My husband has walked the CF before carrying his pack and will do so again this time. I, on the other hand, will have my pack sent ahead each day.

My questions are:

What size day pack did you carry?

What did you carry with you in the day pack besides water and food?

What size pack/kit bag/ did you send ahead each day?

Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hydration packs have all the pocket space you need for food and equipment. Decide on a water bladder size, and go with a hydration pack. It will carry your water comfortably, and weight little more than the water itself. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is directed to people who have walked the CF and had their packs transferred each day. I need some help deciding on the sizes of a day pack and transfer bag.

I am a 64 year old female, 5’ 2’ and 130 lbs, and will be walking the CF in late August and September from Saint Jean to SDDC with my husband. My husband has walked the CF before carrying his pack and will do so again this time. I, on the other hand, will have my pack sent ahead each day.

My questions are:

What did you carry with you in the day pack besides water and food?

What size pack/kit bag/ did you send ahead each day?

Thank you.
I walked the CF IN Sept./Oct 2013 from St. Jean to Santiago. I turned 69 on the Camino. I was carrying my pack until Astorga where I woke up and could hardly move. I laid over a day for physical therapy and decided I better use Jacotrans for my pack if I wanted to make sure my body was to walk to Santiago. My day pack was one of those super strong, super light Sea to Summit day packs that you can hang from your keychain. It was perfect.

In the daypack, I carried a bottle of water, snacks

Small enough to carry a 1L bottle of water, snacks, jacket, and extra socks, something around 10-15L.

Transfer Pack:

You can use a standard (22") rolling suitcase if you will not need to tote the bag on any segment of your camino. Duffel bags also work well. However, if you might find yourself in the position of having or choosing to walk a day between villages with everything, then you will need a proper backpack.

I have seen people on several Caminos using the convertible backpacks with straps that can be hidden to turn the bag into a suitcase. Some even have two wheels.

Some name-brand backpack manufacturers (Osprey, North Face, Eagle Creek, etc.) make these convertible bags. I do not have an opinion on them as I have never personally used one. But this could be a good hybrid solution, as long as the convertible bag had a proper shoulder harness, hip belt, sternum strap and adequate back padding / ventilation. You need to go to a quality outdoor store where they can fit you to the correct bag for both using as a backpack and toting as luggage. I do not recommend buying online, without first being properly fitted by someone who understands the geometry of backpacks and walking.

Day Pack:

I recommend going with a hydration backpack with capacity in the 20 - 25 liter range. This should be adequate space for the filled water bladder, first aid supplies, snacks, spare socks, rain gear, sandals / crocs, cameras, mobile electronic devices, etc. Having exterior lashing points to hold things that do not fit in the day pack, or which you want outside for ready access, is a very good idea. If you do not want to deal with a water bladder and prefer to carry water bottles, make sure you obtain a day pack with side bottle pockets.

Personally, I use Nite Ize clips that fasten to the neck of reusable, disposable .5 liter water bottles to hang four from the front of my daily rucksack rig. See https://www.niteize.com/product/Drink-N-Clip.asp This moves four pounds / 2 kilos from the back to the front, helping to balance my load and reduce the load on my shoulders.

When you shop for such a day pack, or any day pack to be used on the Camino, it should still emulate the characteristics of larger rucksacks. The day pack should have comfortable, ventilated shoulder straps with an UPPER strap adjustment to bring the back higher and tighter to your shoulders, a sternum strap to stabilize the load, and a waist / hip belt to allow the weight of the bag to rest on the top of your ilium. That is the large hip bone. Without such a hip belt, your shoulders will likely be sore by the end of the day.

Consider that one liter of water weighs one kilo or 2.2 pounds. A two-liter bladder weighs 2 kilos or 4.4 pounds. Add the weight of the other recommended daily gear and you could be looking at a 5 kilo - 11 pound load. It pays to invest in a quality hydration pack or day pack.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for that reply on the day backpack, very helpfull for me also.

My suggestion also is that you don't go cheap on a daypack.
It will be your constant companion for 6-8 hours each day.
It should have padded shoulder straps and (I believe) a padded waist belt.

What I often do is buy a cheap bag from a "China store" to transfer my stuff in (you can get HUGE ones for 3 euros) , and I actually carry my well-fitting backpack with just my rain gear, my food, and my water.

I bought a REGATTA from the Great OutDoors 25L It was €25 Reduced from €30 on Sale. The girl in the shop said this was the one to buy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also took the Sea to Summit day pack. Even without padded straps I found it well fitting and comfortable.
In addition to water and snacks I take my warm top (if I'm not wearing it already) and my rain wear.
Regds
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.