• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Size of the Pelegrino and equipment choice

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I hope this has not been asked before

Ime approx 143 kilos and a little over 2 meters tall
ime researching Backpacks and other items
Any other bigger or equivalent size fellows out there having done the Camino, what are your thoughts on fitting and kitting out for the clydesdales
I wont be that heavy for the walk as i am training slowly, but i will always be big
the 10% rule will be somewhat the order of the day

Hiking boots or trainers
Pack size and suspension?
sleeping pads
other suggestions?

Peace

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For me, boots, 40 L pack, no sleeping pad, merino T shirts, ex officio underwear, North Face zip off pants, a tech shirt, light fleece and rain gear.
I am 92 kilos and 193 cm.

For me, boots, 40 L pack, no sleeping pad, merino T shirts, ex officio underwear, North Face zip off pants, a tech shirt, light fleece and rain gear.
I am 92 kilos and 193 cm.
Thank You, i was looking at way larger packs! good thing the time is a little ways away...thank you for the info!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm a big woman (1.85 m, 113 kg), myself. Since we're bigger, our clothes are too (as are our sleeping sacks/bags) and they take up a wee bit more room than those for the shorter/thinner folks. Both Gossamer Gear and Osprey (for their Xenith/Xena and Aether/Ariel packs) make interchangeable waist belts that can be sized for us big folk. I carried an Osprey Aura last time, and apart from the shoulder straps being a bit too close together (broad shoulders) it fit well.

Osprey also makes interchangeable shoulder straps for several of their models. If you have a REI or Cabela's near you, try several packs on and have the salesfolk help you achieve a good fit. :)

Have fun with the planning and training! The time goes by faster than you think! :)

Rachael
Its funny, from what i had seen so far, the osprey packs seem the most suited, so far as to my needs. I plan to do a warm to cool ending Walk. if the Camino decides that is :)...
Ive got wide shoulders and fitting some things are a challenge at times..but i find it makes for a awesome shoulder for the people who need me.
the fitting will be important, as ive spinal issues, all three areas
i plan so far on taking under armor type shirts for the wicking and weight.
the boot shoe question will be answered by then, ime leaning toward a light boot..but after slogging for miles with a heavy shoe a trainer would be nice. probably both are on the agenda.
thanks!

I hope this has not been asked before

Ime approx 143 kilos and a little over 2 meters tall
ime researching Backpacks and other items
Any other bigger or equivalent size fellows out there having done the Camino, what are your thoughts on fitting and kitting out for the clydesdales
I wont be that heavy for the walk as i am training slowly, but i will always be big
the 10% rule will be somewhat the order of the day

Hiking boots or trainers
Pack size and suspension?
sleeping pads
other suggestions?

Peace
hi william - even though i am just a li'l shrimp :) (5'11" / 180cm) i had challenges finding backpacks long enough for a woman. i discovered the Deuter ones - bought one, and am quite happy. served me very well during the camino. they have a system that ventilates well (between back and the actual pack) and also one that allows for height adjustments of the pack how it sits on the back (can't explain it better, but have a look if you like)
http://www.deuter.com/US/us/back-systems-129.html

one of the bigger challenge though for me was the length of the beds one finds usually in portugal/spain. often even sleeping diagonally ... i didn't fit the 'damn' thing and feet dangled mid-air :-(
and those closed-in bunk beds - sigh. it was literally 'bumper to bumper' - meaning: head touching the headboard and feet pressed against the other end. really cramped. that was another reason i switched between private pensao/hotels and albergues - to have a bed i could stretch out in. (but even in some pensao's i was confronted with beds that reminded me of my childhood room)
good luck ! and Bom Caminho!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"hi william - even though i am just a li'l shrimp :) (5'11" / 180cm) i had challenges finding backpacks long enough for a woman. i discovered the Deuter ones - bought one, and am quite happy. served me very well during the camino. they have a system that ventilates well (between back and the actual pack) and also one that allows for height adjustments of the pack how it sits on the back (can't explain it better, but have a look if you like)"

That was something I was looking for! i had seen the feature one night half asleep and remembered the Al frame, think that is the cats meow! i sweated through college w/a 40 lb rucksack, 15" laptop and 3-4 tomes inside..on rainy days, with my duster on, it was kinda heavy and my back would feel the heat, on winter days with same set, it would be ok,

as for sleeping i usually spoon with a good pillow, although i feel your pain!
I though of being adventuresome, and occasionally sleeping out under a full moon and away from light pollution, maybe capture some long exposure shots... so i was thinking of a mat, bag, and groundcloth, hardship in cold is no hardship, as long as i keep my feet and hands warm ime good., i dont do well at all in hot environs to sleep in, so ime planning a spring or fall Pilgrim walk. .
being 6 foot and 3 stone makes me the bull in the china shop. so since i cant shorten, i am training to lose weight, and build endurance, so i will add the weight back into my old knappy as i shed, i plan to go at @ 240lbs, 200 would be great! i would be the gimpy walking Adonis!!! just kidding, but it would be great to be in a lighter class.
thank you for the link!

Trainers or a light shoe should be good but consider one with a thick sole and the ability to dry "It rains in Spain" I would avoid leather. and begin to wear the shoes daily with socks. My advice is all Merino wool, under shirts , socks etc. it smells less. I have an Osprey pack but I recently saw new Dueter and Gregory packs that are light, vented backs, many sizes and adjustable. Keep the weight down and you will be glad you did....Willy

Trainers or a light shoe should be good but consider one with a thick sole and the ability to dry "It rains in Spain" I would avoid leather. and begin to wear the shoes daily with socks. My advice is all Merino wool, under shirts , socks etc. it smells less. I have an Osprey pack but I recently saw new Dueter and Gregory packs that are light, vented backs, many sizes and adjustable. Keep the weight down and you will be glad you did....Willy

Ime glad the research phase is long enough for me to look long and lovingly at a hybrid shoe..if one exists, that is one light enough, airy enough and tough enough to support my ankles, sustain heat and road wear, traction and load range i need.

I toyed with the idea of a leather boot, but years of south Texas summers and hot surfaces equal a hot mess. no thank you...
so i look on :)

I need to look into the wool garments, and the double sock issue, ide rather not slather petroleum jelly on my feet

I wonder, heat is a foot killer..that if there is an insole with a insulating/reflective layer?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi William. My two pennies worth. Not all that big myself at only 1.78 and 95K. I started with an Osprey Talon 44L but as time passed have got smaller and smaller packs. The Talon series are adjustable for height which may be good for you. My Osprey Stratos 34L had an ventilation gap making for a cooler walk and still had plenty of room, but not adjustable. I am now going to walk with a Berghaus 25L day pack, but the waistband is just a strap not a padded belt as with the Ospreys. However it is just big enough for my needs, is a little lighter and so I can get everything to only weigh 5K. It is important to remember that on a hot day you will be carrying your coat(s) etc. Get your other stuff first and then take it to the shop with you so you can pack the bags you are looking at to make sure everything fits ok as well as trying them for comfort. I doubt if any of the 25L around would be comfortable for someone of your height.

1,95m/91kg
Bought a Boreas Sapa Trek backpack (rechristened it Tapa Trek). Fits like a glove but has only basic adjustability.
Considering your weight you may want to check out Salomon boots, very sturdy but light weight. Of course no offense intended referring to your weight but trainers may give out a lot quicker during that many kilometers of walking.
Hope this helps.

1,95m/91kg
Bought a Boreas Sapa Trek backpack (rechristened it Tapa Trek). Fits like a glove but has only basic adjustability.
Considering your weight you may want to check out Salomon boots, very sturdy but light weight. Of course no offense intended referring to your weight but trainers may give out a lot quicker during that many kilometers of walking.
Hope this helps.
no offence taken, i know trainers would be the most comfy choice, but add a load, uneven terrain, at times and my weight i would expect them to last ohhh? a 100 or 2 Ks. plus maintaining my gate so i wont rub the outer heals when i tire... i figured on boots too. Im going to try on lots of models, i wor boots pretty much exclusively for the last 20 or so years due to the hazardous nature of my work..so many miles and trials, i know at last two brands i wont be using for the road..and full leather? i love a full leather boot, but man! heat!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wouldn't opt for full leather either.
Either enforced fabric with or without goretex liner. With gtx may get hot depending on the shoe, without gtx may get quite uncomfortable on rainy days.

Hi William. My two pennies worth. Not all that big myself at only 1.78 and 95K. I started with an Osprey Talon 44L but as time passed have got smaller and smaller packs. The Talon series are adjustable for height which may be good for you. My Osprey Stratos 34L had an ventilation gap making for a cooler walk and still had plenty of room, but not adjustable. I am now going to walk with a Berghaus 25L day pack, but the waistband is just a strap not a padded belt as with the Ospreys. However it is just big enough for my needs, is a little lighter and so I can get everything to only weigh 5K. It is important to remember that on a hot day you will be carrying your coat(s) etc. Get your other stuff first and then take it to the shop with you so you can pack the bags you are looking at to make sure everything fits ok as well as trying them for comfort. I doubt if any of the 25L around would be comfortable for someone of your height.
Hi Al
thanks for the reminder to get all the other stuff to put inside first! ime off already in my head and walking some far trail and all the equipment is already there! lol
ime looking at a 40 to 50 litre pack, its large, but in proportion to my 6 feet and wide shoulders i think it would carry well.
i will need to carry certain items, a sleeping pad/light bag, to at least sleep on top of
i REALLY dont want to look like someone from the old 1920s movie "the grapes of wrath" pickup truck..
carrying all the J.I.C. itemry..
after reading on the wonderful forums, i think i will listen, and pack the essentials, you guys who have gone before are so awesome to share your insight on gear!
i do believe in preparedness, but after my concerns being allayed by the posts on the different Caminos, and the facilities there, i am paring down to a manageable loadout
a large capacity h20 bag is a must, though, too many bad experiences with Montezuma and his minions..what i do to them ?
thank you AL! and Co!

Wouldn't opt for full leather either.
Either enforced fabric with or without goretex liner. With gtx may get hot depending on the shoe, without gtx may get quite uncomfortable on rainy days.

yes Sir! i am leaning toward a all weather boot to handle whatever is there ahead without stopping . i tend to juggernaut when i'm on the roll, if I feel able to and am reasonably sure of the price to be paid physically, i will just go,
ive had Gortex lined boots before and still ambivalent about them.
i think the most important piece of kit of all is footwear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am figuring on synthetic clothing, at least for some of the top layers. Under armour shirts seem to work really well with my skin and the wicking is great. the pants im still looking into. sunburn is my foe...

Long sleeved shirts only and you can roll them up if necessary. Wide brimmed hat and a buff round your neck. If really hot soak buff before putting on and wet the hat. Really thin gloves for cold mornings. I just wear the long sleeved T-shirt and then my rain resistant soft shell coat and also my waterproof coat as and when required.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Choose your albergue well some bunks are quite small and you may find yourself
2007_fred_claus_002.jpg

Long sleeved shirts only and you can roll them up if necessary. Wide brimmed hat and a buff round your neck. If really hot soak buff before putting on and wet the hat. Really thin gloves for cold mornings. I just wear the long sleeved T-shirt and then my rain resistant soft shell coat and also my waterproof coat as and when required.
you got it!

The 10% rule is applied to your "ideal" weight not your actual weight and worth adjusting for:

- how good and strong is your back
- other

might be worth condidering other options such as trolley, taxi, Sherpa .....

143KGs sounds like a big weight even if 2m tall. Might be worth taxing gear on the very challenging stages.

Bring walking poles to support your legs.

Bring recovery gear for sleeping in ... better still ..... contact an expert as your needs might require sprcial measures regarding:

- knee support
- hydration
- recovery
- hydration and supplements such as Zero
- Sweat test in a heat chamber

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for the sage advice!
my 300 plus lbs wont be my walking weight
ime shooting for 240 or so, any less will be a plus. my pack weight should be round 10-15 lbs ahh 4.5 to 6.8 kg
ill be 3/4 of my familys average age for lifespan. LOL!
hydration shouldn't be a problem, thats always my first and most important cornerstone of any journey.
recovery. i listen to my body pretty closely, ive got numerous spine issues since 99 and know how much i can push... how much to push before damage.

supplementation.. that is a big question. ime basing my knowledge on recovery regimen for endurance/muscle recovery/muscle rebuilding.
i would like to take a some amino acid powder and or pills, i will see where there is a GNC in Spain. some protein supplement in a compact form,
these will buffer the lactic acid build up, and aid recovery. ime pretty sure i can McGuyver up a suitable substitute all along the way with the local pharmacys or diet.research time!;0
Seat test? ugh.. i sweat a lot, ive had a fairly recent stress test for my heart procedure and for my fat tail, i did better than what they/I thought could do!yaghh!

the Little trail wagon is a thing ime looking at, someone sent me a link , been looking at walking poles and shoes, the shoes will be the most heavily researched and tested component, every part of the journey will be affected by my back issues and by default my feet. looking at some light boots/trail runners.

the knee support..that is a problem, those wrap up slip on knee braces wont..thinking about fabbing up, having some made custom,
my knees..lol. they better last!
kidding, for all my chronic pain/spinal/walking issues. this will be done God willing
training is key, if I can harden enough, i can put some of the others at bay!

thanks for the advice!
you guys are the Best
Peace

The 10% rule is applied to your "ideal" weight not your actual weight and worth adjusting for:

- how good and strong is your back
- other

might be worth condidering other options such as trolley, taxi, Sherpa .....

143KGs sounds like a big weight even if 2m tall. Might be worth taxing gear on the very challenging stages.

Bring walking poles to support your legs.

Bring recovery gear for sleeping in ... better still ..... contact an expert as your needs might require sprcial measures regarding:

- knee support
- hydration
- recovery
- hydration and supplements such as Zero
- Sweat test in a heat chamber

Buen Camino
GOOD LAWD!
i just found out my ideal body weight for my height/weight is 89 kilograms..196 lbs..
man every little bit of wind going to blow me over!
Just kidding, i am shooting for 200 -240 lbs 90 to 108 kilos
at that weight im muscular, so im going to be able to carry a lil more i think, as i lose weight, i put more in my training pack
I have lost 3.8 kilos since being on the forum..YAY!
Thank you guys!
Peace

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish being on the forum would cause me to lose weight. :( If it did it be worth a membership fee!
Motivation, I really want to go.
plus some other things going on. And youtube is a verrry dangerous channel. and as for the pictures of the quiet trails the Forum Members are posting..
the sooner the better is all i can say!
if it was up to me with no info, it would be a backpack full of camera gear, a jar of peanut butter and a can of red bull!

William, I face a similar dilemma getting my weight down. Normally I am borderline obese (BMI slightly over 30). My strategy is to get down under BMI 30 and then shoot for BMI 27.5. There is some statistical evidence that a very small percentage of people with BMI over 30 are not carrying excess body fat*. You might want to take some comfort from that if, as you claim, you are muscular at that weight.

My second observation is that I do my pack weight calculations using my ideal body mass, ie BMI of 25. I suggest you forget the notion that there is any rule - there simply isn't. As a guide, for summer walking and if you are able to afford lightweight gear, a pack weight of around 10% of your body weight is a reasonable target for a basic load (ie without food or water). So it is a fairly heavily caveated guideline if all the conditions that might apply are properly explained.

That said, if you do want to walk comfortably for the distances involved on most Caminos, packing light and controlling overall pack weight is the key.

* there is also statistical evidence that a percentage of people with a BMI of 25 or less are carrying excess body fat.

Doug
Thanks for the information
according to most and sundry lists, im classified as morbidly obese... it sounds so so Edgar Allen Poe-ish! ha!
im a endo-meso morph type of guy, im not pear shaped, just realllllly big boned...
I plan to walk in cooler weather, be it fall or spring, i dont sleep well in heat..
and because of spinal issues, every second of rest is important. as i dont sleep very well because of the pain.

ill be honest

this will hurt, but the reward outweighs the effort
if any of the wonderful forum members meets me on the road, they are going to be very distressed.
they will meet me at my most human and frail. after certain time, sitting down is going to lead to a very slow and painful getting up, a minute to warm up, then a decidedly ungraceful wibble till i get somewhat warm up. than after a little while, its all good again.

hence a sleeping pad, bag, and liner to sleep on/in for comfort
ime absolut in my conviction that I can do this, with time and effort.

"As a guide, for summer walking and if you are able to afford lightweight gear, a pack weight of around 10% of your body weight is a reasonable target for a basic load (ie without food or water). So it is a fairly heavily caveated guideline if all the conditions that might apply are properly explained."

ime shooting for as lightweight as possible, in relation to durability
Thank you for the help, it is very much appreciated!
im trying to see if i can move up my departure date to next year!
Peace

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
because of spinal issues, every second of rest is important. as i dont sleep very well because of the pain.

ill be honest

this will hurt, but the reward outweighs the effort
if any of the wonderful forum members meets me on the road, they are going to be very distressed.
they will meet me at my most human and frail. after certain time, sitting down is going to lead to a very slow and painful getting up, a minute to warm up, then a decidedly ungraceful wibble till i get somewhat warm up. than after a little while, its all good again.

hence a sleeping pad, bag, and liner to sleep on/in for comfort
ime absolut in my conviction that I can do this, with time and effort.

William, I was very overweight on my first Camino. You'll be pleased to hear that it was a breakthrough for me; since then I've continued to lose a little bit more each year and my base level of fitness is way better. You are right, it can be done, but it needs dogged determination and avoidance of injury. The determination I'm sure you will have. The injury prevention is more difficult but careful planning, especially to start with shorter distances and build up slowly (difficult if you plan to start at SJPDP
With regards to footwear, my only comment is that if it rains heavily it is almost impossible to prevent getting water inside your shoes. If your shoes are Goretex or similar (or leather) then it takes a long time for them to dry out. If they are permeable then they dry faster. If mesh they walk dry. If you are overweight then heat buildup and your feet swelling will also be an issue.

I used short gaiters for rain, and had no problems with my Goretex Merrell Moabs.

Valcarlos route and stop there is probably best for day 1, especially at that time of year. Zubiri for day 3 and Pamploma for day 4 would be a good way of starting for you to consider. I see that you are thinking of going next year instead of the one after. We all get like that when the Camino calls! Just bear in mind that you will have less time to achieve your planned weight loss. Self appraisal is an essential element of preparation and you seem to have a handle on that. Good luck with your preparations and I look forward to the "Yeah, I'm in Santiago!" post. :)

Valcarlos is a lovely little village, I must say.

I'm planning 5 days to Pamplona from SJPdP thus:
SJPdP -Valcarlos,
Valcarlos - Roncevalles,
Roncecalles - Viskarret,
Viskarret - Akerreta,
Akerreta - Pamplona
and then a rest day there before continuing.
And thereafter a rest day every 5-6 days.
After all the camino is a gourmet meal for the mind and body not a fast-food restaurant!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.