• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Sizing Up" in Shoes??

lucy2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte from Irun - Santander + Primativo from Oviedo (May/June 2018)
Hello,

I have seen several commenters here give the advice that, since one's feet tend to swell over the course of a long camino, people should consider buying hiking shoes/boots that are 1/2 size to a full size up from what they normally wear. I am confused by this advice, since I have always thought that having too-big hiking shoes is the surest way to maximize blisters. Can anyone who has taken this advice walk me through what they did/how they avoided blisters/whether this is actually sensible advice?

I will be walking my first Camino (Norte-Primativo) starting in the last days of May.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

I have seen several commenters here give the advice that, since one's feet tend to swell over the course of a long camino, people should consider buying hiking shoes/boots that are 1/2 size to a full size up from what they normally wear. I am confused by this advice, since I have always thought that having too-big hiking shoes is the surest way to maximize blisters. Can anyone who has taken this advice walk me through what they did/how they avoided blisters/whether this is actually sensible advice?

I will be walking my first Camino (Norte-Primativo) starting in the last days of May.

The sizing up is to account for socks, foot swelling, and any down hill grades you might do. Half to a whole size is typical, or about a thumb's width from big toe to end of the shoe.

I have the problem that I am a 12.5 in US size. Most shoes don't come in a 13.5 and most 13s aren't long enough to get that full thumb width. When I go to a 14 the length is fine but the width is now too big.

I have never found the need to wear longer shoes/boots when hiking or walking long distances. I have only found the need for a wider toe box. I always just wear my normal size shoe in a model with a generous toe box and I wear my normal, everyday synthetic running socks and quite often I wear knee high compression socks. Quite popular these days with good reason. They really do seem to keep my feet swelling down.
Getting shoes/boots way too big and then taking up that extra space with layers of socks seems counter-productive.
If anything perhaps get the model of show in a wider width.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a counterpoint, I used to walk in TNF trainers but there was some movement above my heel and, combined with the hard edged back of the shoe, led to rubbing and then blisters

Then I found Merrell trail glove barefoot shoes - half the weight of the trainers and with Vibram soles - that are very snug at the heel but wide enough at the front - so no friction and much reduced chance of blisters

I don't need Body Glide either - and find them so comfortable that I now wear them as my normal daily shoes

Welcome to the forum, Lucy :)

Feet swell width-wise during a day of hiking, not lengthwise. However, one's normal length of street shoe size does not take into account the added weight of a pack compressing feet making them a bit longer, or wearing thicker socks which require more length, or having a thicker third party insole which also requires more length, and the needed space to keep one's toes from banging against the front of the shoe on downhill stretches, which will cause blackened and lost toenails, pain, and skin abrasions.

Blister are caused by the friction of shear forces on the skin. What has been found over the years, is that the old advice to have 'tight' fitting or 'snug' footwear in order to avoid blisters, will often be the cause of shear forces taking place between the foot and the sock, which will cause blistering. A slightly looser shoe allows the shear force to stay between the sock and the shoe. This is not 'sloppy' loose, just a 'comfortable' type of loose. When heading on a longer downhill grade, the main concern is your toes banging the shoe, so I will stop and tighten up my laces after I have snugged my heel to the back of the shoe. When I reach the bottom, I will go ahead and loosen the laces back to normal.

The sock should be slightly snug, not tight, to keep from rucking and moving around on the foot. A skin lubricant, like Hiker's Goo or Body Glide, applied to the feet will also be of some help for even slight movement of the sock against the skin. Pre-taping blister prone areas, and recognizing what a 'hot spot' is when it develops, and then immediately dealing with it as you're walking are also blister reduction strategies.

When getting hiking or walking footwear fitted, it doesn't matter what the measured size of your foot is --- that is just a guideline. What matters is how it feels.

There are two major foot measurements to focus on.. length and width. When I try on footwear, I have my pack loaded with about 25 pounds of weight (which is far higher than needed pack weight on Camino). I wear the same socks I normally would wear, which in my case a Smartwool lightly padded PH.ds. I bring the same insole that I will be wearing. When measuring my foot, I am wearing my pack and socks, standing up, centered on the measuring device, with my weight shifted to the foot being measured (crudely mimics the force on that foot when it strikes the ground while walking).

My feet are anywhere from 2ee wide to 4ee wide -- depending on who manufacturers the footwear. The length measurement can be between 9.5 and 11, again depending on manufacturer. There is no set 'standard' agreement as to measurement in more than a broad sense. That is because every footwear manufacturer has its own set of foot models, or lasts that it uses to make its shoes. That is why some footwear makers have 'wider' toeboxes than others. Or why a double wide width in one manufacturers shoe line ,feels tight in anothers.

That is why one buys by 'feel' and not measurement. If the measurement feels good, that's fine; but if it doesn't, move on. That same rule also applies to the model of shoe itself. It matters not one bit if a model of shoe is favored and adored by ten thousand people, what matters is how it feels and performs for YOU. I cannot tell you the number of times, as a backpacking gear tester, that a manufacturers shoe felt 'off' or uncomfortable on my feet, even when they fit perfectly; and yet it had received rave reviews by tons of people. And when I submitted my report detailing why I felt they were not comfortable, I had the quality control director point to how many liked them as the rebuttal of why my findings were invalid. Funny thing, though, If my report also detailed how well made I found the shoes, and how durable they were and any other positive findings, that was accepted at face value.

When you actually are trying on the shoes, if you are going to be using a third party insole, take out the insole that comes with the shoe and put yours in. Walk around with your pack on. With your shoes tied as for a steep downhill grade, try to see if you can jam your toes to the front of the shoe. If you can feel your toes touching, move up a half to a full size. The best way of testing this is on a sloping incline facing 'downhill', and then exerting your foot forward in an exaggerated force inside the shoe, as you keep the shoe itself firmly in place on the incline.

Pay attention to where any pressure from the shoe exerts itself on the back of the foot and achilles tendon area. In some shoes, the heel cup is exaggerated enough that some feet will have the collar of the shoe rubbing or pressing on that upper heel and tendon area. If not modified, that will cause severe blistering or tendonitis or both.

The information on blister treatment is found on the forum, and you can use the search engine provided to find those threads. There is also a lot of footwear information that can be found, also by using the search engine.

This is extremely helpful, detailed advice. Thank you, Dave. I will go with what feels comfortable to me while wearing my hiking pack/socks/walking downhill, with the knowledge that there needs to be ample room in the tow area.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For my second camino, I bought a pair of boots from the same maker as the boots I had bought for my first camino, which were worn out. These boots were half a size larger than my previous ones. Fortunately, I wore them in by doing some backcountry walking, as even 1/2 size larger made them too big. They slid back and forth as I walked and rubbed the skin off my toes and feet. I gave them away to a homeless shelter and bought boots the same size as my first pair. These were great, but after about 2,000 km of mountain and camino walking the tread is gone and I shall have to buy another pair. I now realize that I bought the ill-fitting boots for the stupidest reason ever: they were on sale and I thought I could make them work. If you are an experienced long-distance walker, try to go with whatever is closest to the footwear that has been best for you, with inserts, socks, etc. If you really don't know where to start, @davebugg has some excellent suggestions. Once you have found footwear, inserts, and socks which seem to work for you, make sure to wear them for a significant time before you leave. Buen camino.

A few months ago I switched to Oboz hiking shoes because of their wider toe box. I have not done a Camino walk in them yet, but have walked over 160 kilometres in them to break them in (which they do not really need) and to test different sock and insole combinations in them. I did find a combination that worked well for me and have walked up to 10 kilometre walks wearing that combination, with no blisters or problems of any kind. That included some minor hill work and sections on blacktop improved roadway.
I realize that not everybody has the opportunity to test a shoe or boot and sock combination that way, but I would say to definitely at least take the shoes or boots/socks/insoles combinations out on a few 5-10 kilometre walks even if it is all on flat roadway or sidewalks. I believe that will reveal any deficiencies or problems before you start your Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The most difficult thing I find, is persuading the salesperson that yes, that is the size I want, I know there's lots of room there, that's the point.

I have never found the need to wear longer shoes/boots when hiking or walking long distances. I have only found the need for a wider toe box. I always just wear my normal size shoe in a model with a generous toe box and I wear my normal, everyday synthetic running socks and quite often I wear knee high compression socks. Quite popular these days with good reason. They really do seem to keep my feet swelling down.
Getting shoes/boots way too big and then taking up that extra space with layers of socks seems counter-productive.

RJM, yours is a perfect example of why how the shoe 'fits and feels' is the most important measurement of all :) ; and why specific measurements, in any dimension, is only a starting guideline to get one into the ballpark of a properly fitting shoe.

I also agree that one does not want a shoe that is far too long, although such is more forgiving to the foot than one which is too short. A proper fit, such as yours, is only just big enough to keep toes from repeatedly impacting the front of the shoe when the laces are tightened down with the heel secure to the back of the boot.

A few months ago I switched to Oboz hiking shoes because of their wider toe box. I have not done a Camino walk in them yet, but have walked over 160 kilometres in them to break them in (which they do not really need) and to test different sock and insole combinations in them. I did find a combination that worked well for me and have walked up to 10 kilometre walks wearing that combination, with no blisters or problems of any kind. That included some minor hill work and sections on blacktop improved roadway.
I realize that not everybody has the opportunity to test a shoe or boot and sock combination that way, but I would say to definitely at least take the shoes or boots/socks/insoles combinations out on a few 5-10 kilometre walks even if it is all on flat roadway or sidewalks. I believe that will reveal any deficiencies or problems before you start your Camino.

Which model did you end up with? I used to use the Oboz Sawtooth in the wide width. They are a pretty darned good shoe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A couple of examples of how ill fitting shoes can damage toes.

The first image is that of a novice backpacker's foot after the first day of a 27 day through-hike on the Colorado Trail. In order to continue to the next trailhead, so that the person in the first picture could catch a ride back to Denver get proper treatment, we cut the ends off of the trail shoes, effectively turning them into a sort of sandal. He sent me a copy of the pictures which were taken by the doctor who treated him.

He was back on the trail, bandaged and padded and a bit hobbled, three days later, with trail sandals and proper fitting trail runners (which he wore the runners after his toes had healed for about ten days, according to his email).

The bottom pic shows reducing the pressure of a hematoma under the toenail by piercing through the nail to drain the bloody fluid. This kind of toe nail trauma can occur in a relatively short amount of time. The toenail usually falls off after about 7 to 10 days, on average. If you notice, his toenails were properly trimmed, which is also important.

Attachments

• 1805-subungual_hematoma-642x361-severe.jpg
    1805-subungual_hematoma-642x361-severe.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 24
  • pt0106cover4.jpg
    pt0106cover4.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 25
Which model did you end up with? I used to use the Oboz Sawtooth in the wide width. They are a pretty darned good shoe.
The Sawtooth Bdry model, low, medium width. I don't really need the waterproof qualities of the Bdry, but I got them at half price. I could not pass up the deal. Despite the waterproof (or resistant) lining (very thin) I do not find them overly hot to wear at all.
They seem like a very well made shoe and after 160 km's I do not really see any wear on them at all. Mind you, most of that walking has been on grass and dirt and sand.

The Sawtooth Bdry model, low, medium width. I don't really need the waterproof qualities of the Bdry, but I got them at half price. I could not pass up the deal. Despite the waterproof (or resistant) lining (very thin) I do not find them overly hot to wear at all.
They seem like a very well made shoe and after 160 km's I do not really see any wear on them at all. Mind you, most of that walking has been on grass and dirt and sand.

I did some personal testing of the Bdry about a year ago during the hot summer, and I didn't find them overly hot, either. They seemed pretty comfortable, and a good quality that would hold up well. I ended up going with some New Balance trail runners, instead, and returned them to REI. I bet you'll like them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Hola @lucy2018, welcome. You have touched on something that is often not really understood (and I am not a Podiatrist). My advice (both received from pilgrims and professionals & practiced) was buying or at least trying on new walkers/boots etc at the end of the day when you have been on your feet all day and they are then likely to be at their widest/longest. I always take with me the socks (in my case two pairs - thin liners and thicker outer ones). I have also shown up with my own inserts - which are considerably thicker than most manufactures provide. Am [I being pedantic? I don't know and since foot comfort for me is paramount I don't much care!] Buen Camino!;)

Ok folks, here are my two cents, for what it is worth...

1. EVERYONE HAS TWO DIFFERENT FEET. Feet are asymmetrical. ALL feet on all people are different from one another...PERIOD! The take-away here is that what might work for one person should not be relied on to work for another, and certainly not for everyone.

Recommendations on upsizing, including from me, are based on personal experience and experience with others who share their stories. As a general mantra, you can add a sock or some other padding to shim or fill extra space in a shoe or boot. You can tie laces differently to prevent feet from sliding to the front or up and down too much to reduce friction and shear. Go to You Tube to query "How to lace hiking boots..." BUT, YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO A SHOE OR BOOT THAT IS SIMPLY TOO SMALL...PERIOD!

Actually, some folks suggest an in-extremis method of slicing the shoe in a manner to accommodate the problem. But, this 'kills" the shoe for future use.

Also, as regards footwear sizing, shoes or boots, sizes are sometimes wrong. Some models run large or small. For example, Keen publishes this information on their web page, so buyers can choose to adjust their size choice accordingly. So, per Keen, my Targhee Mid-high boots run one-half size SMALL. Hence my listed size 13 boots (47 EU) are really a size 12.5 / 46. I discovered this and took it into consideration when fitting for my then size 11 feet. Knowledge is power...

Apropos of nothing, after my first five Caminos, my size 11 feet had mysteriously "grown" after 64 years of life to a size 11.5. Fortunately, my size 13/12.5 Keen boots are still fitting well. However, when preparing for my recent 2018 Camino de Invierno, I did reduce the outer sock thickness from heavyweight Smartwool to medium weight Smartwool, as a precaution. There were no ill effects from this and new socks, after four Caminos, were less expensive than new boots.

2. David, see above comments, IS A PRO! His avocation is to travel the various Camino routes, providing free first-aid to walkers as he moves along. If there is a foot problem out there, David has seen and treated it. The take-away here is that if David suggests or recommends something, YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

Everyone has a foot issue of one kind or another, in six years and six Caminos, I have never met one pilgrim who can honestly say that they had absolutely no issues with any aspect of their feet, socks or footwear.

So, please do consider the above comments appropriately. Every opinion or personal experience is just that, a personal recollection.

Personally, I have severe callus problems with a congenitally misaligned right foot. Prescription orthotics are not effective for Camino purposes. Preventative maintenance in the form of really good pedicures monthly while at home did nothing to forestall having to have a podiatrist cut on both my feet this year in Monforte de Lemos (Invierno).

It happens. You simply adapt and overcome.

I sincerely hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited:
I walked from Figeac to Moissac in hiking boots the same size as my normal shoes. I lost the nails on both big toes and ever since have bought boots one size larger. As for blisters, I swear by 1000 mile socks - never had one in all the years I've worn them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was sized many years ago and advised to size up 1 1/2 sizes. I haven't been disappointed with that advice...ever. I have sized up one and a half sizes with my cross trainers, hiking boots...and winter boots. This allows for cushiony wool socks which I hike/walk in all year. My feet tend to feel cold, so I welcome the wool! Cinch the laces tighter at the top so your foot is held back by the heel rather than being forced into the toe box. I had a couple of blisters after the descent into Roncesvalles on my toes, but that that was more due to my not lacing the shoes more tightly. Happy walking!

Welcome to the forum, Lucy :)

Feet swell width-wise during a day of hiking, not lengthwise. However, one's normal length of street shoe size does not take into account the added weight of a pack compressing feet making them a bit longer, or wearing thicker socks which require more length, or having a thicker third party insole which also requires more length, and the needed space to keep one's toes from banging against the front of the shoe on downhill stretches, which will cause blackened and lost toenails, pain, and skin abrasions.

Blister are caused by the friction of shear forces on the skin. What has been found over the years, is that the old advice to have 'tight' fitting or 'snug' footwear in order to avoid blisters, will often be the cause of shear forces taking place between the foot and the sock, which will cause blistering. A slightly looser shoe allows the shear force to stay between the sock and the shoe. This is not 'sloppy' loose, just a 'comfortable' type of loose. When heading on a longer downhill grade, the main concern is your toes banging the shoe, so I will stop and tighten up my laces after I have snugged my heel to the back of the shoe. When I reach the bottom, I will go ahead and loosen the laces back to normal.

The sock should be slightly snug, not tight, to keep from rucking and moving around on the foot. A skin lubricant, like Hiker's Goo or Body Glide, applied to the feet will also be of some help for even slight movement of the sock against the skin. Pre-taping blister prone areas, and recognizing what a 'hot spot' is when it develops, and then immediately dealing with it as you're walking are also blister reduction strategies.

When getting hiking or walking footwear fitted, it doesn't matter what the measured size of your foot is --- that is just a guideline. What matters is how it feels.

There are two major foot measurements to focus on.. length and width. When I try on footwear, I have my pack loaded with about 25 pounds of weight (which is far higher than needed pack weight on Camino). I wear the same socks I normally would wear, which in my case a Smartwool lightly padded PH.ds. I bring the same insole that I will be wearing. When measuring my foot, I am wearing my pack and socks, standing up, centered on the measuring device, with my weight shifted to the foot being measured (crudely mimics the force on that foot when it strikes the ground while walking).

My feet are anywhere from 2ee wide to 4ee wide -- depending on who manufacturers the footwear. The length measurement can be between 9.5 and 11, again depending on manufacturer. There is no set 'standard' agreement as to measurement in more than a broad sense. That is because every footwear manufacturer has its own set of foot models, or lasts that it uses to make its shoes. That is why some footwear makers have 'wider' toeboxes than others. Or why a double wide width in one manufacturers shoe line ,feels tight in anothers.

That is why one buys by 'feel' and not measurement. If the measurement feels good, that's fine; but if it doesn't, move on. That same rule also applies to the model of shoe itself. It matters not one bit if a model of shoe is favored and adored by ten thousand people, what matters is how it feels and performs for YOU. I cannot tell you the number of times, as a backpacking gear tester, that a manufacturers shoe felt 'off' or uncomfortable on my feet, even when they fit perfectly; and yet it had received rave reviews by tons of people. And when I submitted my report detailing why I felt they were not comfortable, I had the quality control director point to how many liked them as the rebuttal of why my findings were invalid. Funny thing, though, If my report also detailed how well made I found the shoes, and how durable they were and any other positive findings, that was accepted at face value.

When you actually are trying on the shoes, if you are going to be using a third party insole, take out the insole that comes with the shoe and put yours in. Walk around with your pack on. With your shoes tied as for a steep downhill grade, try to see if you can jam your toes to the front of the shoe. If you can feel your toes touching, move up a half to a full size. The best way of testing this is on a sloping incline facing 'downhill', and then exerting your foot forward in an exaggerated force inside the shoe, as you keep the shoe itself firmly in place on the incline.

Pay attention to where any pressure from the shoe exerts itself on the back of the foot and achilles tendon area. In some shoes, the heel cup is exaggerated enough that some feet will have the collar of the shoe rubbing or pressing on that upper heel and tendon area. If not modified, that will cause severe blistering or tendonitis or both.

The information on blister treatment is found on the forum, and you can use the search engine provided to find those threads. There is also a lot of footwear information that can be found, also by using the search engine.
,,,,class info...as per usual..thanks Dave.

Everyone's feet are different and react differently to the stresses of the trail. My feet did swell lengthwise during my Camino, but my boots (Merrill Moabs) were oversized, so no matter. You will see new boots occasionally along the trail on tables, trail markers, or just sitting off to the side, lounging in the shade. I am sure they felt fine initially, but became too small with the miles, so were left. The best thing is to break in your boots ahead of time and oversize them slightly. You can always wear an extra pair of socks if too loose. Can't go the other way. On another matter, my Merrills were super-comfortable and I trained in them for a year prior to my Camino. But, on the actual Camino, it became apparent that the soles were too soft. After the first several hundred miles, it felt like I was walking on gravel in bare feet. And, some nerve damage was sustained. Now, I have Oboz and love them! Slightly stiffer soles. Remember, the Romans walked in sandals. So, make your choice and suck it up. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some excellent advice. My only additional comments are to consider 5 toe socks as an inner sock if blisters are an issue. My right foot is longer than the left and the second toe is longer than the big toe. Have regular Icebreaker socks over the top. Always put cream on my feet.
For some people they need 3 pairs on one foot to account for the foot size difference.
Finally apart from changing the laces I extend my walking poles up to 20 cm longer going down steep slopes to help with balance and to reduce the forward pressures that push my toes forward in my boot.
Lots to learn and now in my 5 th Camino on the VDLP and still learning
Happymarkos

Everyone's feet are different and react differently to the stresses of the trail. My feet did swell lengthwise during my Camino, but my boots (Merrill Moabs) were oversized, so no matter. You will see new boots occasionally along the trail on tables, trail markers, or just sitting off to the side, lounging in the shade. I am sure they felt fine initially, but became too small with the miles, so were left. The best thing is to break in your boots ahead of time and oversize them slightly. You can always wear an extra pair of socks if too loose. Can't go the other way. On another matter, my Merrills were super-comfortable and I trained in them for a year prior to my Camino. But, on the actual Camino, it became apparent that the soles were too soft. After the first several hundred miles, it felt like I was walking on gravel in bare feet. And, some nerve damage was sustained. Now, I have Oboz and love them! Slightly stiffer soles. Remember, the Romans walked in sandals. So, make your choice and suck it up. Buen Camino.

Mooncat, thanks for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your information. I might have confused the issue a bit by my use of the "swell". In referring to 'swelling', I am primarily talking of edema, or fluid collection, in the foot, as the primary cause of a foot volume increase. Because of the way the anatomy of the foot is laid out, edema is most readily seen in the width of the foot due to the nature of the soft tissue distribution.

You are absolutely correct that a foot can lengthen in size, primarily due to the effects of downward compression and gravity on the arch of the foot and the metatarsal area in response to prolonged activity on the feet, as well as added weight from a pack (or putting on more pounds of fat or muscle).

I've had similar experiences with running and trail shoes that didn't have enough support. My feet would, especially my left foot, would be severely aching and slightly numb toward the end of a long trail day. To this day, my left foot remains really persnickety about trail shoes, while my right foot could care less, and takes more of a 'meh' attitude.

Now I have to use a metatarsal pad under the insole of my left hiking shoe, and that makes things a lot better for me. From one foot pain sufferer to another, I am glad you found a good solution to make things a whole lot better; especially when a favored activity involves a day filled with walking :)

I think Oboz do make some great trail footwear. Before moving into trail runners, I loved my Sawtooths, and still keep a pair on hand;)

Many pilgrims also lubricate their feet using a petrolatum-based product, or a deep hydration lotion BEFORE booting up each morning. It helps reduce friction.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I size for a roomy fit. If the shoe has a larger toe box, then that might be my normal size. If it's a bit tight, I'll try one size up. You socks also matter so bring your preferred hiking sock into the store to try on with the boot.
My current favorite is the Keen waterproof hiking shoe. Larger toe box but low profile and not too heavy.

"... a foot can lengthen in size, primarily due to the effects of downward compression and gravity on the arch of the foot and the metatarsal area in response to prolonged activity on the feet, as well as added weight from a pack (or putting on more pounds of fat or muscle)."

Yes, Dave. That is what I meant to say, but you have explained it precisely. My feet stretched out during the Camino. Afterward, they contracted a bit and I was able to wear my dress shoes again. Thanks!

Hello,

A full size up with toe socks is a great idea I believe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"... a foot can lengthen in size, primarily due to the effects of downward compression and gravity on the arch of the foot and the metatarsal area in response to prolonged activity on the feet, as well as added weight from a pack (or putting on more pounds of fat or muscle)."

Yes, Dave. That is what I meant to say, but you have explained it precisely. My feet stretched out during the Camino. Afterward, they contracted a bit and I was able to wear my dress shoes again. Thanks!

:) That was my bad; I always assume that people can either read my mind to know what I meant, or have adopted my frames of reference :eek::oops:. This always helps me be more precise with any explanations I offer.

Hola @RJM - a wider toe box was why I went to the Keens. I already have a wider foot, higher arch and from past experience I do not want cramp toes. They worked just fine but I am not sure that they will still be up to the Porto by May or Sept 2019!!, Cheers

Hola @RJM - a wider toe box was why I went to the Keens. I already have a wider foot, higher arch and from past experience I do not want cramp toes. They worked just fine but I am not sure that they will still be up to the Porto by May or Sept 2019!!, Cheers
I think I am a convert to Oboz shoes. The pair I have has a generous toe box and I have already walked over 160 km's in them without a single blister. Looks like mission accomplished.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear a size 12 EE as a norm but bought size 13 EE hiking boots six months prior to walking the Camino Frances. I had never walked/Treked distances like would be done on the Camino before so I took the advice of those who had and did size up one size. I will say that for me that worked out great. I also wore “Darn Tough” socks and all worked out very well.

Go up a whole size or more. Vaseline the feet and tape toes every morning. Sock liner and sock. All reduce friction and need the extra space of 1-1.5 sizes up

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.