• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJDdP to Irun to join Camino del Norte

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know if there is a camino route from SJDdP to Irun or do you you know anyone who has walked it and what infrastructure and amenities are available?

Just a curiosity of mine...

Also curious if anyone walked from Ribadeo along the coast thru Ferrol to Muxia/Finesterra then to Santiago ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone know if there is a camino route from SJDdP to Irun or do you you know anyone who has walked it and what infrastructure and amenities are available?

Also curious if anyone walked from Ribadeo along the coast thru Ferrol to Muxia/Finesterra then to Santiago ?

Here are some links to start with.
https://www.beilari.info/en/st-jean-camino-del-norte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you both I will definately look into both links. :).

Thanks Sabine wowo that is perfect....just what I wanted. I heard wonderful things about the Bellari also. In April I stayed in La Villa Esponda in a private room/bath the night before I started. Bit pricy but was clean and nice it’s on the main road just opposite the path up hill to the pilgrims office.

If I choose this route I may definately stay at Bellari sounds like a good way to connect with other pilgrims on the first night. Would love to be in St Jean again

There are two ways from St. Jean to Irun. The one I walked was the Voi de la Nive (St. Jean to Bayonne, then I walked Bayonne to Irun). There is also the GR100 that goes direct St. Jean to Irun, very mountainous, very beautiful.

I know about the GR100 because I accidentally followed it when leaving St. Jean thinking it was the Voi de la Nive! Was very pretty, though tough! (I switched over when I found I was on the wrong path)!

I will try to find some links for you

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

At the end of August, I followed the Voie Nive Bidassoa ( different to Voie de la Nive). Check this website, it has maps, and info: http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/les-...ie-nive-bidassoa-st-jean-p-port-hendaye-irun/
This was designed and is being developed by the office in SJPDP.
Bon Chemin, Buen Camino
Andrew

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wonder is this route is open at the beginning of april or end of March? How difficult is it....for someone with a bum knee? I saw maps also on the route from Roncesvalles to Irun which looks interesting also.
Any comments are welcomed

In April I stayed in La Villa Esponda in a private room/bath the night before I started. Bit pricy but was clean and nice it’s on the main road just opposite the path up hill to the pilgrims office.
How did you like Villa Esponda? I've just booked a room there. Hopefully I will have a reservation at Orisson for the next night, so I won't have to start walking early in the morning. I thought that it would be nice to get a good night's sleep in a private room before my first day.

It was nice I really enjoyed my stay, would definately book again. Just up from the bus stop. Entrance is around the back and you will see the reception then as you enter inside the rooms are upstairs. It was clean, with a nice bed clean bathroom and the reception was friendly. They have a lockbox outside with the keys. No meals but It’s within walking distance of restaurants and the pilgrims office so it’s central to everything. I had no problem leaving the next morning. Left the key in the lock box.

Can’t comment on Orisson. It was still closed when I went so I attempted a stay in Valcarlos which was full due to the holiday so went on to Roncesvalles. It takes a while to get a reply from Orisson but they will reply. They also have an overflow operated by one of their relatives in St Jean I have that info if you need it. Even if the pass is still closed they offered to drive people back down to the turn off to Valcarlos the next morning.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was nice I really enjoyed my stay, would definately book again. Just up from the bus stop. Entrance is around the back and you will see the reception then as you enter inside the rooms are upstairs. It was clean, with a nice bed clean bathroom and the reception was friendly. They have a lockbox outside with the keys. No meals but It’s within walking distance of restaurants and the pilgrims office so it’s central to everything. I had no problem leaving the next morning. Left the key in the lock box.

Can’t comment on Orisson. It was still closed when I went so I attempted a stay in Valcarlos which was full due to the holiday so went on to Roncesvalles. It takes a while to get a reply from Orisson but they will reply. They also have an overflow operated by one of their relatives close by I have that info if you need it. Even if the pass is still closed they offered to drive people back down to the turn off to Valcarlos the next morning.
Thanks! I have stayed at Orisson twice before and heard back within 6 days of emailing them each time. This time it's been almost two weeks, but I'm sure I'll hear from them soon. And if I don't get a bed there I'm sure that I can walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Either way, it will be nice to have a private room to be well rested before my first day of walking.

Thanks! I have stayed at Orisson twice before and heard back within 6 days of emailing them each time. This time it's been almost two weeks, but I'm sure I'll hear from them soon. And if I don't get a bed there I'm sure that I can walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Either way, it will be nice to have a private room to be well rested before my first day of walking.
. Cool I hope one day I get to stay at Orisson

Hope this helps ...This is the message I got from them last year. I sent my email Feb 22 for resevations for 1 April

“At this time of year we don't know if the weather will be good so we don't take reservations, just call us the day before to know if the refuge is open: 00 33 559491303 / 00 33 681497956.

Regards
If you need a booking in St Jean Pied de Port, I allow to recommend you a new accommodation near the camino: "The Villa Harriet". It's my niece who holds this beautiful and new Bed and Breakfast.

Room prices: from 90.00€ to 120.00€ with breakfast for 2 people.

If you are interested contact her directly: maialenetchandy@orange.fr

Orisson

refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

00 33 559491303/00 33 681497956

The Villa Harriet". Bed and Breakfast.

Room prices: from 90.00€ to 120.00€

maialenetchandy@orange.fr

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.