• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino SJPDP 1st stage

4RJN

Time of past OR future Camino
May 15th
Good morning from the camino! I left SJPDP at 5am yesterday in the darkness knowing that my pace would be slow climbing up the mountain. It was a beautiful start and I was able to get about a third of the way before the sun began to rise over the mountains littered with sheep, cows, and horses. Truly a beautiful site! I had heard the first stage was difficult that is why I left so early trying to get in as much as I could before the heat of the day as the forecast was for 90 degrees (I guess I should have left the warmer clothes at home). I do have to say as the day went on my body just started to scream at me more snd more. It truly is VERY DIFFICULT for older legs and hips like mine. Slowly the younger people I met the night before in our Hostel would pass on by, o to be young again:) Honestly I had thought many times there is no way I willing make it to Roncesvalles. Totally exhausted in the need of food and water I arrived wobbly legged and in burning pain at 3pm ,45,807 steps behind me, I went right to the Roncesvalles Hotel and got a private room to pass out in. I am going to stay here again tonight as it’s hard to walk at this point. In reflection the day brought both beauty and pain with both feelings of joy and doubt. Wow what a day!

Attachments

• 3B19BB7A-1432-4EE1-A542-AD90C82E64A4.jpeg
    3B19BB7A-1432-4EE1-A542-AD90C82E64A4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 259
  • EC72254E-E64A-43DB-A97C-34650122D17F.jpeg
    EC72254E-E64A-43DB-A97C-34650122D17F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good morning from the camino! I left SJPDP at 5am yesterday in the darkness knowing that my pace would be slow climbing up the mountain. It was a beautiful start and I was able to get about a third of the way before the sun began to rise over the mountains littered with sheep, cows, and horses. Truly a beautiful site! I had heard the first stage was difficult that is why I left so early trying to get in as much as I could before the heat of the day as the forecast was for 90 degrees (I guess I should have left the warmer clothes at home). I do have to say as the day went on my body just started to scream at me more snd more. It truly is VERY DIFFICULT for older legs and hips like mine. Slowly the younger people I met the night before in our Hostel would pass on by, o to be young again:) Honestly I had thought many times there is no way I willing make it to Roncesvalles. Totally exhausted in the need of food and water I arrived wobbly legged and in burning pain at 3pm ,45,807 steps behind me, I went right to the Roncesvalles Hotel and got a private room to pass out in. I am going to stay here again tonight as it’s hard to walk at this point. In reflection the day brought both beauty and pain with both feelings of joy and doubt. Wow what a day!
I recall my first Camino from St Jean in April 2008...there was snow....I did not have the luxury of a hotel room in Roncesvalles I collapsed in the albergue there.....regretting I did not break in Orrisson!!! The Camino gets better and better from now.....buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.... I am going to stay here again tonight as it’s hard to walk at this point. In reflection the day brought both beauty and pain with both feelings of joy and doubt. Wow what a day!

Great first day indeed!
Unless injured, you may consider to do something to prevent developing stiffness - hot bath, stretching, squats, burpees etc. Or a massage session if available :cool:

Great first day indeed!
Unless injured, you may consider to do something to prevent developing stiffness - hot bath, stretching, squats, burpees etc. Or a massage session if available :cool:

Thanks I appreciate the input. I have been stretching all day and taking small walks. Lots of voltarin as well:)

Words do not do the sunrise on the Pyrenees justice, I would say its all down hill from there, but it's not, enjoy the journey, I start in Irun on June 4th, hoping to get to Santiago 5 weeks later,
Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Words do not do the sunrise on the Pyrenees justice, I would say its all down hill from there, but it's not, enjoy the journey, I start in Irun on June 4th, hoping to get to Santiago 5 weeks later,
Buen camino
Buen Camino

Buen Camino! Enjoy your journey and be kind to yourself.

Congrats on crossing the pyrenees buen camino pilgrim fabulous pictures

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best and fast recovery @4RJN . Take care.Buen camino.

Thank you for your honest account. It seems that to frequently I read “that anyone can easily go all the way to Roncesvalles in one day.” There is not anything easy about what you accomplished, for most people. For me on all my crossings I have stayed at Orisson and still was tired when I arrived at Roncevalles. Giving your body rest is the smart thing to do. The day to Zubiri is no cake walk. Buen Camino!!!

Your photograph of the sunrise is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks so much! We will be starting our hike in mid September and are walking the low way...Our legs are likely older than yours! So, I feel better about taking the low way after hearing your story. I hope you are feeling better today! Take good care!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Proud of you man, well done! Take it easy and don't worry to much. You'll make it if you just take your time. Listen to the body and send more of those great pictures ;-). Beautiful! And enjoy the company along the way.

Thanks and keep us posted. Buen Camino.
Best regards, Robin

Hi, love your picture of the early mist, I'm a bit of a camera geek, so I played around with it, hope you don't mind

Attachments

• Camino-0410-01.jpeg
    Camino-0410-01.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 189
Hi, love your picture of the early mist, I'm a bit of a camera geek, so I played around with it, hope you don't mind
Hey dimdog, I really love your picture also. But I think you replied to 4RJN's thread by mistake. The pic you photoshopped is the one that Roland49 posted in August 2019 (O Cebreiro). 😆

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
… It was a beautiful start and I was able to get about a third of the way before the sun began to rise over the mountains littered with sheep, cows, and horses.
If you fancy sunrises, don’t miss the opportunity to witness one leaving early from Castrojeriz.. pretty steep path uphill, but it is worth the effort 😎

1652991164878.jpeg

Great Job and congratulations! That is quite the stretch and, no matter how difficult people say it is, there are no words to describe just how difficult that first day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles unless you have done it. I made sure to do shin splint prevention exercises every morning and every night and I found that helped a lot. Good Luck and Buen Camino, Amigo!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fair play to you to make it in one day, a great achievement, photos magnificent. The toughest day is now behind you! Lots of stretching/gentle exercises after each days walk will be great help. Would also recommend early morning starts to avoid the heat of the day.

Thank you for your honest account. It seems that to frequently I read “that anyone can easily go all the way to Roncesvalles in one day.” There is not anything easy about what you accomplished, for most people. For me on all my crossings I have stayed at Orisson and still was tired when I arrived at Roncevalles. Giving your body rest is the smart thing to do. The day to Zubiri is no cake walk. Buen Camino!!!
But Zubiri is a beautiful little town...in fact, one of my favorites!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
…. In reflection the day brought both beauty and pain with both feelings of joy and doubt. Wow what a day!
That was a memorable account of an extraordinary day. Hats off to your spirit and determination! Buen Camino.

Terrific photos! One step at a time Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I made it to Pamplona! Feeling better but far from great. It’s funny how even the younger people seem to be hurting! The weather has been great so far but looks like rain is on the horizon.

Attachments

• F77E735D-22C0-4AEC-9A49-2944CDA63D20.jpeg
    F77E735D-22C0-4AEC-9A49-2944CDA63D20.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • BCF954BB-D5B2-4D6A-A759-FAAEC4879309.jpeg
    BCF954BB-D5B2-4D6A-A759-FAAEC4879309.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • FA4421C9-861E-44F1-88A3-EFF37EB027ED.jpeg
    FA4421C9-861E-44F1-88A3-EFF37EB027ED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 76891B8E-A8BA-4CC1-952A-61FA15ABA9DA.jpeg
    76891B8E-A8BA-4CC1-952A-61FA15ABA9DA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
I made it to Pamplona! Feeling better but far from great. It’s funny how even the younger people seem to be hurting! The weather has been great so far but looks like rain is on the horizon.
That's great - the pain will lessen as you learn to listen to your body - I know, it was certainly part of the whole camino experience. Enjoy the opportunities presented; it is a wonderful feeling. Buen Camino

So how was the descent into Zubiri? I was hoping for a photo.😎

4RJN, In 2017 Spring time on my first Camino, I took Valcarlos route and I was almost dead on the way.
Now I'm planning to take Napoleon route on this coming September pilgrimage. By just looking your pictures, I am probably older than you are. I'll use their baggage transportation from SJPP to Roncessvalles.
Your first experiences crossing Pyrenees mountain does help me a lot for the preparations. and Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done!! Have a good rest and enjoy the rest of your Camino..

It's often the younger ones who drop out, if anyone does, by about day 10.
Start like an old man, to finish like a young man.
Slow and steady, lots of stretching, breaks.
Don't push too hard.

If you feel your body needs a break, (you'll know) take a day off to rest, or walk a short day, like 10-15 kms or something.

You're doing great :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back