• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPdP do Roscenvalles (start at.10.30am?)

kubapigora

Time of past OR future Camino
On the Camino since 2008
Hello everyone!
I will be walking my first camino in september later this year. I'm arriving from Paris after swaping plane to train. I'm travelling on the night train, which will arrive at SJPdP at 9.37am.
I was wondering if it is worth to start the camino so late in the day? Will it be possible to get to Roscenvalles if we get on the track at about half past ten (we have to get our credencials and do some shopping). If not- we will have to spend a night in SJPdP.
Please help.
Kuba

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You'll be struggling to get a bed at the Refugio in Roncesvalles, I suspect. Remember that some people will start from Roncesvalles and most people will have left SJPP considerably earlier than you.

My advice would be to chill in SJPP for a day, rest yourself and enjoy the town, then head off the next day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If time is not critical I'd stay in St. J. We spent the day enjoying the town, shopping, getting credentials and visiting the post office. That night we stayed in a hotel, eat a good meal and even had an afterdinner drink to celebrate the beginning to the trip. It also helped with the jet lag we were feeling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could aim for Hunto or Orisson - 8 and 10km from St Jean respectively. Book a room ahead and have a rest at Orisson and do the remaining 15kms the following day.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Attachments

• Orisson.JPG
    Orisson.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,549
Minkey said:
... and if you do decided to spend some time there, try the cider... ;)
I surely will try it...

No, time is not the case, as I have about 37-38 days for my camino (I'm walking with my wife). But we are flying over from Poland thru Paris, so it's quite short journey. We will not need a rest day at the beginning of the trip (especially because we will be on a train at the night time- having some sleep hopefully). But taking in consideration what you have said about accomodation in Roscenvalles- it will probably be the best thing to stay for another night in SJPdP and hit the road early in the morning.
Orisson refugee is a great option as well, but a bit pricey for us as we are saving for a walk from Poland in 2010 (they have opened new st.James routes in our country as well)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Kuba

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
kubapigora said:
which will arrive at SJPdP at 9.37am.
I was wondering if it is worth to start the camino so late in the day?

I would wait until the next day. It is recommended that you begin walking to Roncesvalles no later than 10AM. The pilgrim office is a good walk from the train station, and you should stop there, get a stamp, and check in with the helpers (for a weather report, among other things). Also, you may want to stop at the small grocery store (which is near the train station) and load up on food for the trip over the mountains. All of these things will take more than a half hour, and rushing is not the best way to begin your Camino - especially this stage, which is a tough one.

kubapigora said:
Orisson refugee is a great option as well

To be honest, I would skip that option. When I did the Camino last summer, I thought about stopping there. But the pilgrim office told me that I had to call Orisson by phone and make a reservation right away, and since it was so near to St. Jean I didn't want to get stuck there. The next day I paused there to rest, and I asked to use the bathroom. The guy running the place wouldn't let me use it unless I bought something, and he made his point with an attitude that didn't set well with me. Anyway, just my opinion - I've heard some folks say they had a good experience there, and others have said the opposite... :arrow:

All of these things will take more than a half hour, and rushing is not the best way to begin your Camino - especially this stage, which is a tough one.
I agree with you. I do not want to run my camino- it will be my well earned holiday, so we will probably stay for a night in SJPdP.

The guy running the place wouldn't let me use it unless I bought something, and he made his point with an attitude that didn't set well with me.
Had a bad day probably. I will try step in there on my way- and let you know if anything have changed.

Ok, thanks for your advice!
Maybe you would be able to help me find something to do for a whole day at SJPdP? Do you have any favourite place to stay or to go for a glass (or a bottle)of vino tinto in the evening?

And- is it really takes 8 hours to get to Roscenvalles?

kubapigora said:
Maybe you would be able to help me find something to do for a whole day at SJPdP? Do you have any favourite place to stay or to go for a glass (or a bottle)of vino tinto in the evening?

St. Jean is worth a day of exploration. Lots of cool shops and cafes to check out. Look for the Bar Restaurant Paxkal Cillarburu, next to the old city wall. I had a nice meal with a good bottle of red vino there. They also had rooms for pilgrims - if I hadn't already booked a hotel room next to the pilgrim office, I would've stayed at the restaurant.

kubapigora said:
And- is it really takes 8 hours to get to Roscenvalles?

I started walking from St. Jean before sunrise, and I think I staggered into Roncesvalles somewhere around 4 or 5 PM. It is a beautiful stage, but difficult as well. Of course, I was carrying way too much on my back (over 20K), and my boots were too heavy as well. If you go light (and have some training time invested before beginning the Camino), you'll go faster. Buen Camino! :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
vinotinto said:
If you go light (and have some training time invested before beginning the Camino), you'll go faster. Buen Camino! :arrow:

I will do!
Thank you for your help everyone!

Hi,kubapigora,

If you decide to spend the day in SJPP, make sure you walk up to the citadel. Lovely views from that interesting old fort.

I also remember speaking with the people who were helping out the owners of the L'esprit du Chemin albergue (http://www.espritduchemin.org/), which I would highly recommend for accommodations. They told me that the GR10 (?-- could be wrong on the number) crossed through St. Jean, and that when they finished cleaning up the albergue they frequently took off on a 4-6 hour hike in either direction. If you're eager to start walking, that might be a good way to spend part of the day.

Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back