• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPdP from Philadelphia

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
I was just wondering what it the reasonably 'most economical' way to get from Philly area to SJPdP (and I do understand the Bayonne --> SJPdP train and thus the need to get to Bayonne)?
Fly to Biarritz direct? Or perhaps Paris or even Madrid? PHL, JFK, EWR?
within reasons - does it make sense to do 2 budget airlines (i.e. JFK --> Dublin on, say Norwegian and then from there take Ryan... obviously any combo of airports will do)? One of my hesitations is that I most likely have to come out, get my luggage (IF I am checking stuff in...which I might...just a thought (I have my reasons) so lets roll with it and not tell me that 'i dont have to' ;)) and then go through the security hoops once more ...frustration and obviously added time for logistics...
So I would appreciate the thoughts of those who already done it
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Check Norwegian out of Newark or TAP Air Portugal out of Philly or Newark. They have both been running serious sales. TAP may have a plane change in Lisbon, but they allow a couple nights stopover, so you could even squeeze in an extra city while you travel. 😉

If you do go through one of the New York airports remember to factor in your cost to get there and back. From my side of Philly it's pretty hefty. But I think you may have some pretty reasonable options.

I have gone in and out of Madrid each time. It seemed simplest. AA flies non-stop out of PHL, so I just bit the bullet, paid the price, and enjoyed the convenience. If I'm lucky enough to go back, I'll probably fly into Paris and home from Madrid, just to try something different.

From MAD I took either to bus or train right from terminal T4, where the international flights arrive. Same returning, except last year from Santiago I flew back to Madrid via Iberia's AA codeshare. Checked my pack in Santiago and picked it up again when I got to PHL.

My last choice would be to fly on two different carriers, especially if one or both were low-cost. Yes, you will have to collect your luggage, recheck it, possibly go through security again. And if you miss the second flight, you're out of luck. Try to do something where everything can be booked on the same ticket. That way the airline will help you with rebooking should you misconnect.

Good luck and enjoy the planning!

@Bala
Thanks! Didn't think TAP so definitely will be on radar to look for fares. Usually I love to fly out of EWR (I have no idea why so many folks rave against it - to me it is much better to get in\out than JFK! and I am always able to find places to park really on the cheap for my extended trips).

I don't think I can have luxury of couple of extra days, nice as it would be; I am stoked as it is that I was able to get 6 weeks off for The Camino (see my "it just became real" post). I got 40 days total into which I would like to 'squeeze in' Frances (with 2 days of rest...perhaps Burgos & Leon...LOL...yeah "REST" - running around playing tourist gawking at Cathedrals and what-have-you :)), and extra day in SdC and Finisterre (4 days). Madrid and or Lisbon shall wait another day :(

So the overall thought is to fly overnight to The Continent Friday\Saturday, spend Saturday getting to SJPdP and start Camino on Sunday.

I work early so my work day is officially over at 14:00 which should give me some options on how to get to airport(s). PHL would be totally easy as I can take Warminster R2 right to the Airport and I can walk to my station from home. 1 hour and I am there; easy breezy.
EWR - there are options but short of me taking above-mentioned line to 30th St and then Trenton Line from there (or Amtrak which is more expensive) I need to have someone either drive me to Trenton or to NE Philly to catch the Trenton Line. Once at Trenton TC - catch local to EWR... all of which is time...but if the flight is late night (say 22:00) I guess as long as I can make it by, say 18:00-19:00 I should be OK.

You definitely gave me some options to think about. Thanks again 👋

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Three Caminos starting from the Poconos. First two Newark to Madrid to Pamplona by air, then on to SJPdP. Third one was out of JFK. Will not do that one again. Plan for 2020: Newark to Madrid, etc.

AMEN to "No to JFK" - I have heebee-jeebees every time I have to fly out of it (and the last time I did so was 2010 and my luggage got lost 😥)

@Buz Radican
What Airline did you fly MAD--> Pamplona? And, I take it - the train to Bayonne (or bus to SJPdP)?
thanks

@CWBuff glad to help out. I just thought of another. Check Aer Lingus out of PHL. We got a really good price to Rome for later this year. I don't know if their fares are still low (or of they fly to Madrid....), but it's worth a look.

I am totally with you on JFK and EWR. I can take Amtrak right out of Wilmington and be at Newark in no time. Yet people around here complain about having to take the airport tram when you get there ?? Seriously?? That's a problem? No I-95, no splitting headaches, just stroll to the tram?

JFK only if my life depended on it. And maybe not even then. 😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You didn’t put your dates, but Norwegian is having sale that just started today!
9426A203-A9E7-43C3-968B-B6DCE0351F3A.png

U.S. to Dublin, fly from Dublin to Biarritz and train to Saint Jean.
Fly from Santiago back to Dublin and on to U.S.

Aer Lingus is definitely on my list of carriers to watch.
And as for JFK - I not so much worry about I-95\PA NJ TPK but Belt Pwy itself. God only knows how many times I sat on it for HOURS.... so I don't know...they would have to pay ME! :p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m amazed that folks who plan to walk 500 miles from SJPdP insist on taking a train for the 50 miles from Biarritz to SJPdP. Consider walking the three days between the two and arrive warmed up and ready to tackle the Pyrenees!

I’m amazed that folks who plan to walk 500 miles from SJPdP insist on taking a train for the 50 miles from Biarritz to SJPdP. Consider walking the three days between the two and arrive warmed up and ready to tackle the Pyrenees!
Some folks have tight schedules to adhere to due to work obligations. Do not always have that extra three days to spare. I know I did the first time I walked the Frances. Besides, I loved that short train ride on that small train from Bayonne to Saint Jean. I will never forget it.

Yup... as stated previously my schedule will not allow that luxury. The only way I can swing it is to forgo the Finisterra after SdC and I do believe I'd rather have a memorable finish vs memorable beginning
But, hey, 'there is always next time', right? 👍

I am now slightly more inclined to take an extra day off and see if I can get out from US on a Thursday vs. Friday night. I checked some of the airlines mentioned here (although I am sure the case can be made for most) and the price difference is quite staggering!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
AMEN to "No to JFK" - I have heebee-jeebees every time I have to fly out of it (and the last time I did so was 2010 and my luggage got lost 😥)

@Buz Radican
What Airline did you fly MAD--> Pamplona? And, I take it - the train to Bayonne (or bus to SJPdP)?
thanks
I took an Iberia Express flight from Madrid to Pamplona. Because I was time limited the last time I took a taxi, hoping for a ride share that did not materialize. Since my flight landed about the time the mid-day bus left Pamplona and the next bus arrived too late in the evening, I took the taxi. This next time I will be able to take a lay day in St. Jean so I will take the late afternoon bus to St. Jean.

Yup... as stated previously my schedule will not allow that luxury. The only way I can swing it is to forgo the Finisterra after SdC and I do believe I'd rather have a memorable finish vs memorable beginning
But, hey, 'there is always next time', right? 👍

I am now slightly more inclined to take an extra day off and see if I can get out from US on a Thursday vs. Friday night. I checked some of the airlines mentioned here (although I am sure the case can be made for most) and the price difference is quite staggering!
I sometimes found travel sites like priceline, orbitz and hotwire to have some really good deals sometimes. You have to check them constantly though, it seems and yes a day or two difference in the schedule makes a big price difference sometimes.

I was just wondering what it the reasonably 'most economical' way to get from Philly area to SJPdP (and I do understand the Bayonne --> SJPdP train and thus the need to get to Bayonne)?
Fly to Biarritz direct? Or perhaps Paris or even Madrid? PHL, JFK, EWR?
within reasons - does it make sense to do 2 budget airlines (i.e. JFK --> Dublin on, say Norwegian and then from there take Ryan... obviously any combo of airports will do)? One of my hesitations is that I most likely have to come out, get my luggage (IF I am checking stuff in...which I might...just a thought (I have my reasons) so lets roll with it and not tell me that 'i dont have to' ;)) and then go through the security hoops once more ...frustration and obviously added time for logistics...
So I would appreciate the thoughts of those who already done it
Thanks
I live near Pittsburgh and fly to Charles de Gaul AP (CDG) each time I walk the Camino. I like the convenience of walking downstairs in the terminal and catching the train to Bayonne, where I catch the connector to SJPdP. I operate under the KISS principle (Keep it simple silly)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live near Pittsburgh and fly to Charles de Gaul AP (CDG) each time I walk the Camino. I like the convenience of walking downstairs in the terminal and catching the train to Bayonne, where I catch the connector to SJPdP. I operate under the KISS principle (Keep it simple silly)
I believe the OP is on a bit of a budget. I have always found the flights to Paris from the states to be some of the more expensive. Also I took that train from Paris CDG down to Saint Jean once, and that was expensive as well.
From the east coast of the states, say Boston, I have found the flights to Dublin to be very economical at times, and then just a matter of finding a smaller, budget airline to get oneself to either Biarritz, Madrid or Barcelona.

Last edited:
For me, the most cost effective and timely was, and continues to be, the EWR MAD PNA via air route. Sure wish Corazon Puro was still operating. Used them twice. They were great people.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aer Lingus is definitely on my list of carriers to watch.
And as for JFK - I not so much worry about I-95\PA NJ TPK but Belt Pwy itself. God only knows how many times I sat on it for HOURS.... so I don't know...they would have to pay ME! :p
Go via aer lingus!! Youle have the luck of the irish with ya☺☺ good luck and enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back