• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP might be closed November

El Capitan

Not all who wander are lost
Time of past OR future Camino
preparing for my Camino. I plan on a November 8th start from SJPDP but, I read the trail will be closed in November till march !
Any tips on walking in this time of year?
Reservations , snow , rain and temperatures?
Anyone else walking this time of year !
Lonesome caminante .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Last edited:
SJPdP is a village; the village is open throubhout the year.
It is the Napoleon camino over the mountain from SJPdP to Roncesvalles monastery which will be closed; the Valcarlos alternate camino through the historic mountain pass will be open.

See more here
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/
Mspah, thank you for the speedy reply .
Will it be closed no matter what the weather is like. I wouldn't take any chances, just wondering if closure is weather dependent ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It closed officially throughout that time. Whatever the time of year be sure to ask at the SJPdP Pilgrim Office, 39 rue de La Citadelle, what are current forcasted weather and trail conditions.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims. ...Do plan to stop and chat!

Last edited:
Do not risk going over no matter what - every once in a while someone gets stuck, being cold and dehydrated or snowed in, and the Valcarlos is another kind of strenuous with small detour into the wood, but very nice too.... In all matters, be prudent !
Advice; remember woollies, when push come to shove, it is saving your boy heat, synthetics won´t...
Not allowed to tell what brands, but have some - worth it...

Last edited:
The Napoleon route is definitely closed, from November to Mars. And there are very heavy charges (meaning hundreds, even thousands of euros) for people that walk the Napoleon route when it is forbidden and need a rescue.
You are going to enjoy the Valcarlos route -lots of fans, here. Anyway, ask for the weather conditions in the pilgrim's bureau, or your kind hospitalero.
You can cut your stage in two, staying a night in the picturesque Valcarlos village.
Buen camino!
upload_2017-9-16_10-5-23.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Advice; remember woolies, when push come to shove, it is saving your body heat, synthetics won´t...
Not allowed to tell what brands, but have some - worth it...

Woollies = Merino

Merino is not a brand but a breed of sheep. According to Wikipedia, the modern Merino breed originated in Spain.

Merino wool is fine and soft. It is most suitable for clothing, especially the layers close to the skin. It is also suitable for both summer and winter. Just more layers in winter as required.

Searching for merino wool clothing USA will give you quite a range of (online) shops to select from.

The brand I have seen often on this site is Icebreaker. I have found their product to be of good quality and also of high price. So do shop around.

PS: My only connection with Icebreaker is as a customer. My merino layers are by several different brands. As always price and quality are the main considerations in my purchases.

I am sooo glad you said it, i was worried I would get told off. I need only a small excuse for telling about Swedish Merino woolware...
I cannot live without it, and neither should you ...!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
every once in a while someone gets stuck, being cold and dehydrated or snowed in
And not to be overly dramatic but rather share full reality to the OP, death has also come to some who decided to ignore the closed Napolean route. I can't imagine a worse way to begin your Camino...

I've walked the Valcarlos route in January and if the snow is more than ankle deep you would do well to consider staying off the alternate mountain trails and stick to the road. I walked the trails from just past Valcarlos up to the dog kennel and really struggled. By the time I reached the road there it was knee deep and not a good situation to find myself in as there wasn't another soul on the trails that day. It was a longer walk but it was the roads from there to Zubiri after that!

No worries start in Pamplona, no mountain to worry about until Ocebrio just hills (ok some people's hills are others mountains) In any case not so remote starting point. Easy to get to.

Ill be starting just a few days behind you in November. Buen Camino! Perhaps we will meet along the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ill be starting just a few days behind you in November. Buen Camino! Perhaps we will meet along the way.
JijoK, I will begin November 7/8 I might need a days rest ( flying In From Hawaii).
I plan to start my Camino from SJPDP to Roncevalles by way of Valcarlos ( I'm getting excited of going this way ) ! Spanish is my native toungh, so I'm very excited , again ! I'm just excited ! Thank you everyone for your Valcarlos suggestions !
Mario

JijoK, I will begin November 7/8 I might need a days rest ( flying In From Hawaii).
I plan to start my Camino from SJPDP to Roncevalles by way of Valcarlos ( I'm getting excited of going this way ) ! Spanish is my native toungh, so I'm very excited , again ! I'm just excited ! Thank you everyone for your Valcarlos suggestions !
Mario

Your a boat Captain! I manage a boat company and my husband is a boat captain. Perhaps we will me up and talk about Camino and boating along the way. :)

JijoK, that would be awesome!
I live on Maui and sail out of Lahaina. I really hope we all get to meet ! I'm also and east coaster, NYC so we'll all have much to say I'm sure !
See you on the road ⚓⚓⚓

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back