• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Bordeaux next week

Len Nugent

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Jan 2017
Camino Portuguese Nov 2017
Camino Frances return route Dec 2017
hi, we are live on the Camino at present in Pamplona , after walking from Lisbon, our intention after arriving in SJPDP is to carry on walking until Christmas .

We have a flight booked home from Bordeaux, so thought we would walk towards the airport.

My question is, would anyone have any idea where I can find online maps & details of albergues or Gites that are open also it does not help that between the two of us we don’t speak a word of France!

I have tried looking online, but can’t find anything up to date, or maybe I am just too tired.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Len

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just so we're all on the same page: you're now walking from Pamplona, "backwards" to SJPP, and then onwards to Bordeaux from there?

The French government mapping agency have an excellent free website: https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/ If you click on the "Cartes" button in the top left corner then "Voir tous fonds de cartes" you can select the 'topographique' or 'classique' IGN maps which show the GR routes in great detail.

The maps are also accessible through a free map for Android phones. Find it through Google Play Store

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, that is correct, we started in Oct from Lisbon to Santiago, then decided to walk SJPDP.
Now we want to carry on to Bordeaux

Hi Bradypus.
Thanks for the quick response.
This is a great site, I will use it for the maps.
Hopefully I will get some replies regarding the albergues & Gites that are open.
Once again I really appreciate your time & help
Len

The walk you're wanting to do is part of the Via Turonensis/ Voie de Tours which traditionally starts in Paris (and goes through Tours, hence the name). There is lots of information online about this route if you want to start googling (hopefully someone else on here will have more info for you though).

I couldn't find an inclusive guide with accommodation as it seems all the departments are responsible for their own information. Found this for the Landes region (opening dates in right column):
http://www.compostelle-landes.org/documents_pdf/hebergements/20170411133350.pdf

Another forum member, Ray Boneski, walked from Bordeaux to SJPP earlier this year - maybe you could send him a pm? Here's his post: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-from-bordeaux.46168/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jan,

Thanks for this information. I have also sent a pm to Ray, so hopefully I can pick up some information from him,

I appreciate you taking the time to look for me, many thanks for that

Len

Have you tried the Gronze website? They have one for every Camino path I France & Spain. Usually I could dial the gîte or albergue directly from the listing, and I used it frequently when reserving. I just looked at the site, and it doesn’t list winter closing dates, but a phone call will confirm that one way or the other.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From St Jean to Bayonne you can walk along the GR10 and Voie de la Nive - and then as Jill says on the Voie Littorale.
Here is a post form an earlier thread with some links:
I walked the route in 2014. I had limited time, so I powered through it in two days. I slept alone in Helette at the end of day one in the gite municipal, which was basic but had a good kitchen. Then I continued on to SJPdP the next day. I used this site for maps and instructions.

For the most part, the routing was straightforward. Some bridge repair made a mess of things outside of Bayonne, but I suspect that will be resolved by the time you walk. I lost the route around 10km before St. Jean, but that may have been my fault. It was no problem, though--I just followed a local road for a few km and got back on track.

On the whole, it's not the most exciting walk, and there's a lot of time on asphalt. But, it has its moments. Note that if you're interested in walking from the airport, you can follow the Voie Littorale from the Biarritz train station (very close to the airport) back to Bayonne, and then carry on from there on the Nive (the two routes split outside of Bayonne).

Walking from Bayonne to Hendaye and then back to SJPdP would take a full week. It's more spectacular, as you can follow the coast south and then the Pyrenees inland via the GR-10 (or a lower level trajectory north of it), but the GR-10 in particular is much more demanding.

If you're just interested in getting in a few days of walking before the Pyrenees, I might suggest traveling from Bayonne to Navarrenx and then following the Le Puy route from there. That's three easy days of walking with some gradually increasing foothills.

Than
Have you tried the Gronze website? They have one for every Camino path I France & Spain. Usually I could dial the gîte or albergue directly from the listing, and I used it frequently when reserving. I just looked at the site, and it doesn’t list winter closing dates, but a phone call will confirm that one way or the other.

Regards,

Thanks for the message Penbaysail, we just looked at the Gronze site, I had never used this before.
We are now thinking it would be better to walk up the coast, as there will be more chance of getting accomadation on the route.
Many thanks again for your help
Len & Mary

Hi Len and Mary, (I also posted this on the other thread that you queried) I walked from Soulac (on the coast near Bordeaux) to Bayonne, on the Voie Littorale, which is an alternative route for you to consider, going in reverse. This was my route:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bordeaux-to-ir%C3%BAn-on-the-voie-littorale-to-connect-with-the-norte.44436/

Jill
Morning Jill
We did not think about the route before, but we are now looking at going up the coastal route , I think it will be more seinic & have more chance of accommodation.
We really appreciate your help, many thanks.
Len & Mary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From St Jean to Bayonne you can walk along the GR10 and Voie de la Nive - and then as Jill says on the Voie Littorale.
Here is a post form an earlier thread with some links:

Thank you Dave for this information, I now think this is the route we will take.

We will walk from SJPDP to Bayonne, & look for the GR10.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for us, it’s now great to have some options.

Many many thanks.

Len & Mary

Last edited:
Or....another more direct option, if you ave not yet left Pamplona (I hope not).
Walk the Camino Baztanes backwards! 5 days will get you direct to Bayonne. Check here for Forum thread links, and there is a very good downloadable app that Editorial Buen Camino did here.
Several of us walked it this Spring and it's very special.
Whatever you choose, Buen Camino you two!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or....another more direct option, if you ave not yet left Pamplona (I hope not).
Walk the Camino Baztanes backwards! 5 days will get you direct to Bayonne. Check here for Forum thread links, and there is a very good downloadable app that Editorial Buen Camino did here.
Several of us walked it this Spring and it's very special.
Whatever you choose, Buen Camino you two!
Batzan would be a good suggestion for moderate climate but it sounds like they want to walk in the winter, it is already cold and snowy as of 29/11/17. I would not suggest any of the mountain routes this time of year but rather drop down to Bilbao, San Sebastian or Irun from Pamplona or Logrono and continue on the coastal route to Biarritz and beyond, plenty of lodging using that route.

Batzan would be a good suggestion for moderate climate but it sounds like they want to walk in the winter, it is already cold and snowy as of 29/11/17.
Oh! Thanks for the correction, Don. I had understood that Len and Mary intended to walk to St Jean - and assumed (obviously incorrectly) that if the Valcarlos route is open, the col at Belate would also be fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back