• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Finisterre in 30 days? I needs some itinerary help.

Parzival

I would like to walk from SJPDP to Finisterre in 30 days. I might be able to get 1 or 2 days more off from work. I have reviewed the online planner, and I can't really wrap my head around it. How does one go about calculating how many days a trip like this will take? In doing my research it seems like there are many paths to choose while walking the Camino Frances. Some routes follow the highway while other are more hiking. What maps do you find useful?

My wife and I arrive in SJPDP from Italy on 1 June at 3pm. We plan to start our first day on the Camino on the 2nd. We are in our early 30s, and have a very active life style. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
30 days sounds super tough to me...
Maybe you need to factor in some jumps forward at some point... Or just walk as far as you can, and do the rest another time.
But seriously , trying to do that distance in 30 days, no matter how fit you are, doesn't sound much fun...
Buen camino :)

Here is a possibility:

One day to Roncesvalles, then

Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Roncesvalles - Larrasoaña 27.6 27.6 R, H
2) Larrasoaña - Zariquiegui 25.8 53.4 P
3) Zariquiegui - Lorca 26.2 79.6 2P
4) Lorca - Los Arcos 29.6 109.2 R, 3P, H
5) Los Arcos - Logroño 27.8 137 2R, P, A, C, H
6) Logroño - Nájera 28.7 165.7 R, 4P, C, H
7) Nájera - Grañón 28.6 194.3 R, A
8 ) Grañón - Tosantos 20.5 214.8 R
9) Tosantos - Agés 22.5 237.3 R, 2P
10) Agés - Burgos 22 259.3 3R, C, H
11) Burgos - Hontanas 30.8 290.1 R, 2P, H
12) Hontanas - Boadilla del Camino 28.5 318.6 R, 2P
13) Boadilla del Camino - Carrión de los Condes 24.4 343 3R, C, H
14) Carrión de los Condes - Terradillos de los Templarios 26 369 2P
15) Terradillos de los Templarios - Bercianos del Real Camino 23.1 392.1 R, P, H
16) Bercianos del Real Camino - Mansilla de las Mulas 26.4 418.5 R, P, C, H
17) Mansilla de las Mulas - La Virgen del Camino 25.1 443.6 R, H
18) La Virgen del Camino - Hospital de Órbigo 24.9 468.5 2R, P, C, H
19) Hospital de Órbigo - Santa Catalina de Somoza 25.4 493.9 2P, H
20) Santa Catalina de Somoza - El Acebo 27.7 521.6 R, 2P
21) El Acebo - Ponferrada 16.1 537.7 R, H
22) Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.3 560 R, 2P, C, H
23) Villafranca del Bierzo - Las Herrerías 20.4 580.4 P, H
24) Las Herrerías - Triacastela 29 609.4 R, 5P, H
25) Triacastela - Barbadelo 28.9 638.3 R, 2P, H
26) Barbadelo - Ventas de Narón 31.4 669.7 2P
27) Ventas de Narón - Melide 26.2 695.9 R, P, H
28) Melide - Salceda 25.3 721.2 P, H
29) Salceda - Santiago de Compostela 27.5 748.7 3R, 5P, C, H

Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...
FR: off-route.
It is 30 days at about 25.8 km per day.

Make you own here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

I am planning on walking SJPDP to Santiago in 35 days.... I decided this was reasonable after reading much feedback.
I think if you can get a couple of extra days, that would be good.

This is such an "open" question and a good one to ask.

I'll go the other way with it and say 30 days is doable. For me, 28 days and the time of my life with a rest day the first time and 28 days without a rest day the second time. Walking 30-32km a day is enjoyable for me. However, the most in one day 50km and the least maybe 15km. I listen to what my body tells me. I prefer to plan each afternoon for the next day or two. This is part of the Camino I love. I might have a "skeleton" plan, but I have the freedom to alter as I see fit. Going a bit further, the people I meet along the way also influence how much I will walk. I am told I have a pretty quick pace, and I very much enjoy training for the Camino. By the time I reach Spain, I've had months of walking with extra heavy pack.

I've seen the most fit people not last 3 days. I've seen the least fit people arrive in SdC the same morning as me!

As far as itinerary, I think you are on the right path with the resources you are using. Plan out the first few days and then see what happens. I use no maps other than what I might find at a refugio. I only use the guide issued by the Confraternity of St. James, a small booklet which has everything I need. The rest I get from hospitaleros or other walkers.

In all of this, the Camino is FUN for me. I love everything about the Way. I wish for you and your wife the same.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Like Simeon, I actually enjoy walking reasonably long days. My first pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago took 28 days.

However, it was not rushed because I had allowed 39 days so did not have a tight schedule.

There is no way of knowing how long you are going to want to take. One time it might be 28 days or less, another 35 and yet another more than that. It feels good to go with however you feel at the time.

The psychological effect of having limited time cannot be underestimated as it has the potential to totally cloud the experience. It is always better to allow as much time as you can so, if it's at all possible, I would add an extra couple of days to your trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even experienced hikers take a zero day every 5-7 days, it's a must.
It's too tight, 30 days.
When do you plan on starting? youtwo have got to be in an excellent shape to walk everyday more then 30 km.
This is not an enjoyable walk, you'll be tired, won't have a chance to company other hikers in albergues. The camino is not a trail you walk fast and do a lot of mileage.

cpstar said:
Hi

I am planning on walking SJPDP to Santiago in 35 days.... I decided this was reasonable after reading much feedback.
I think if you can get a couple of extra days, that would be good.
That should be fine, it took me 34 days from StJPP to Santiago last April with a rest day in Burgos and another in Leon. I am 58 yrs and my brother is 61 and he is not a regular walker. :arrow:

Thank you very much for your input. I have noticed a trend in other threads. If someone says they want to complete the Camino X number of days the forum inevitably says they need more days. I have read that those people that try to do much in the first few days run into trouble as apposed to slowly ramping yourself up.

Does anyone have any information on the map & routes question?

Thanks again for your insight, and taking the time to respond.

Also we plan to go all the way to Finisterre. I guess some days will just have to be longer than others.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would leave the SCD-Finesterre option open and just walk as my body allowes aiming for Santiago within the timeframe leaving a day open at the end for the bus to Finesterre, if you get all the way to Finesterre on foot good for you, but ultimately as you say the boyd decides...

for that reason also, skip the planning and the maps, follow the arrows and go as far as you can each day, some days may be 20 some 40 a plan takes no heed of your body it only stresses it if one is tired...

ps: start slow

Buen Camino

Pieces said:
I would leave the SCD-Finesterre option open and just walk as my body allowes aiming for Santiago within the timeframe leaving a day open at the end for the bus to Finesterre, if you get all the way to Finesterre on foot good for you, but ultimately as you say the boyd decides...

for that reason also, skip the planning and the maps, follow the arrows and go as far as you can each day, some days may be 20 some 40 a plan takes no heed of your body it only stresses it if one is tired...

ps: start slow

Buen Camino

I totally agree with Pieces.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also agree with Pieces... Think you will have to " suck it and see " to put it more colloquially !
But if you live in Italy, it's not so far if you decide to take more time, and then return another time to finish ?
Wishing you a joyful buen camino :D

I'm 50 years old, in decent shape (no physical limitations) and I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 14 day. Yes, I realize thats stupid fast. However, I had planned to take 30 days and just go with the flow. As its turns out the flow was faster and farther than I ever could have guessed. My "plans" and "itinerary" lasted until my feet hit the ground in StJ. As it turned out my Camino wasn't about sight seeing or smelling the flowers to my amazement. What it ended up being will be with me for the rest of my life though.
I'd say anyone, in decent shape, absent the confines of reservations and preconceived perceptions about speed and distance who just kinda goes with the flow can do SJPDP to Santiago in 30 days no problem. However, the Camino can be a highly social event ( as I expected mine to be) or, as in my case, a deeply personal journey. I guess if I could go back and give me some pre-camino advice, it would be set aside 30 days and let the flow carry you. You may walk 500 miles in 14 days or walk 30 days and reach Roncesvalles. Either way if you listen very carefully as you walk the Camino will talk to you.

30 days is very ambitious and true I am of another generation but I really must ask Why? The Camino can be chalked off as a marathon, been there done that but it seems to me you are missing the point. You will be missing far too many opportunities for spiritual experiences, missing far too much art architecture and natural beauty, missing far too much camaraderie with fellow pilgrims, everyone creates his/her own Camino but to purposely exclude or ignore so much seems somehow very sad to me. I understand your occupational constraints but I would consider lowering your objectives, do as much as you can but do take full advantage of all things that the Camino has to offer with no kilometerage considerations. The Camino has been here for over a thousand years and will be here next year and next century as well-finish it whenever and however you desire but know we here in the Middle East have adopted a saying of our Muslim cousins - Calmness and introspection is from God; Haste springs from the devil.
S,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
30 days would be a fair pace from St Jean all the way to Finisterre

In 2017 I did 25 days form St Jean to Santiago
And spent 2 nights in Burgos to see the museum
So it can be done in 24 days - if you don’t stop somewhere
That would leave 6 days for Santiago to Finisterre
I have done that last walk to the coast twice always going via Muxia first
And it takes 3 days to Muxia from Santiago and a final day to Finisterre
So 30 days from St. Jean to Finisterre is very doable

But...

It will be a tough challenge and long days and tired muscles
Only fit need apply

Good luck

Stooky

I used the John Brierley Maps book while on the Camino. This past year I downloaded an e-copy to my phone, but I prefer to have it on paper, so I can make notes. There are quite a few places where you can walk along the highway, or choose a quieter route. Some routes take you to different towns, and you don't join the main route for a day or two. Sometimes the alternate routes are just for a few hours, or a day.
Happy Planning! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn't overthink this, get the Brierley guidebook and walk the first couple of days pretty much as per the book to ease into things especially if jet lagged. On day 1 you have a choice of two routes depending on time of year, it's not going to make a lot of difference which one you take.

After that the variations are much more straightforward, the kind of thing you decide on the day depending on how you feel/weather, aren't going to make that much difference timewise (you'll see if the alternative is a lot longer) and the options are all in the book. I would double up the stages along the Meseta (the middle) where it's pretty flat, almost impossible to get lost and long days are much easier. Galicia is more undulating, if it's torrential rain you may need a shorter day, on the other hand you might find it far more relaxing to walk longer days in the afternoon/evening when the camino is blissfully empty. On the whole accommodation/food can be found every couple of miles so you don't have to do a lot of planning. I think Brierley has 33 stages and you'll need 3 more to get to Finisterre so you need to double up 6 stages (in reality probably more because unless you're a machine you'll need to factor in illness, tiredness, injury, need to relax on some days).

Not my cup of tea but this chap's book (he has a blog somewhere) will give you a flavour of doing it in 20 days: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009SE2264/?tag=casaivar-21 If you look for BeatriceKarjalainen's posts on this forum she walks really quickly and might have a breakdown of her stages for the CF.

Good luck!

I am planning to pretty much to do the same, albeit allowing up to 32 days to complete it. I am staying at Orisson the night of the 1st June, so may see you on the trail.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Send me a note with your email and I can send you an Excel file with 3 possible itinerary timelines and accommodations I used - some better than others. I can't seem to attach it here.
I'm not sure to whom you are replying in this thread but if it is the first poster @Parzival: he last visited this forum in June 2013 - nearly six years ago. He posted a link to his Twitter account and one can see that he reached Santiago on 25 June 2013. Does not look like he went to Finisterre after all. Average around 35 km/day.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back