• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Logrono or Logrono to Burgos?

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP to Finisterre 2009
Le Puy to SJPDP 2013
Frances 2014
GR700 & Arles 2017
Norte 2019
Hi all

I'm meeting friends in Burgos in May to walk to S de C and have 7 days before they arrive. I'd love any thoughts or suggestions whether to begin from SJPDP to Logrono or skip that section and begin my walk from Logrono.

I walked the Le Puy route last year and finished in SJPDP.

Thanks in advance. Cherie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are too many variables to consider. Blisters are just as likely to occur on one section as the other. Ultimately its your decision to make.

My decision would be based on practical matters such as time spent travelling by bus or train and the costs associated with walking one section or the other.

Personally, I like the idea of walking continuously from where I start, so I would pick Logrono.

One thing to think about is that if you walk from SJPDP to Logrono and then take a bus to Burgos, you will leave behind anyone you have met along the way. Since you will walking with friends after that, it may not be a big deal, but something to consider.

On the other hand, starting from SJPDP will allow to walk some of the more iconic locations of the camino. The Napoleon route through the Pyrenees, the metal pilgrims atop Alto del Perdon, the wine fountain at Irache.

The best advice I think I can offer is not to worry about it too much. Either way, I have every confidence you enjoy your experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd be a definite in favour of St Jean to Logrono, lovely days and then get bus on from where you get to, otherwise you have to plan a certain distance and set days, anyways the start is amazing!

I didn't like Logrono as a city but maybe that was because they had a drunken wine festival just as I arrived there! But I'd start there, take the bus to Navarrete, walk the rest of the way to Villafranca Montes de Oca, and take the bus to Burgos! No sense spending part of your week walking through the outskirts of a city. That way you stay with the friends you've met as well.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn't like Logrono... But I'd start there, take the bus to Navarrete
WHAT! , And miss Viana?
Viana is before Logrono, so you don't really "miss" is by taking the bus to Navarette; you already will have skipped it.

There are several sections that you can accelerate by taking a bus. Najera is a bus hub, so you can get to it, or leave from it, from a lot of places. There is even one bus a day that stops in Ventosa.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Viana is before Logrono, so you don't really "miss" is by taking the bus to Navarette; you already will have skipped it.

There are several sections that you can accelerate by taking a bus. Najera is a bus hub, so you can get to it, or leave from it, from a lot of places. There is even one bus a day that stops in Ventosa.
Yes , one may as well start at Viana then get a bus to Naverette - but then what about Torres del Rio , Lorca , Puenta , Pamplona ........ ZUBIRI??
Waaaaaaaaaa? Guess its SJPDP?

I walked the Le Puy route last year and finished in SJPDP.
I like the idea of walking continously so I would pick it up again and continue from SJPDP.

One thing to think about is that if you walk from SJPDP to Logrono and then take a bus to Burgos, you will leave behind anyone you have met along the way.

The Camino has plenty of interesting people all along the trail and meeting as many as you can should actually make it a more enriching experience. To stay with the same crowd definitely would not make it a factor for me in planning a route...Just my thoughts. ;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Only ever walked one Camino so far, but I would also start at SJPP. Loved the scenery in the first section :)

Buen Camino!!

I personaly would never skip st jean to Roncesvalles. Not for st Jean, but for the walk. I loved that walk. Soooo beautiful. I also loved los arcos, great little square for drinks and diner, right by the church. Pamplona, estella....
What?? I just loved the first week. Nice scenery. Great and beautifull little towns you walk past. A whole lot better then some of the ugly ghostlike town you'll see later on, like el Burgo ranero and some other towns inbetween Burgos and Leon.
Logroño, as a city, on the other hand did nothing for me. I regretted stopping there and was happy to leave early in the morning. Burgos and Leon, i enjoyed very much.
I guess, in the end, it is all personal and what you experienced in these places and along the way, but the first week, if i would do the Frances again, i would not miss. Well....i would change one thing, NOT walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona in one day anymore! Big...huge mistake on a very hot day.
On the other hand, when i saw the albergue in larrosoaña, i also refused to stay there, so thats one of the reasons why i kept on walking hahaha.... Brrrrrr...

Last edited:
No doubt SJPP-Logrono is the nicer walk. However you'll be left with that section between Logrono and Burgos unwalked. If you ever went back to do it I'm not sure how well it would stand up. SJPP - Logrono on its own certainly would.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You have walked from Le Puy to SJPP last year. For me there can be only one place to start for you and that has to be SJPP. Start where you left off. Sure you could start at Logrono, Burgos etc. but you are on pilgrimage so be a pilgrim. Trying to fit others in etc. and you risk not being a pilgrim anymore and more a tour guide, a tour guide that they ultimately do not need. If you can walk the Camino on your own then I am sure they can do so as well.

Also and given your experience from last year you are likely to get frustrated with your friends if they are first timers with you having 1,000KMs under your belt. You are likely to be on different pages of different books!!!

They say that SJPP to Burgos is all about your past, Burgos to Leon about your present and Leon to Santiago about your future. Not sure what Santiago to Finisterre is about ... possibly after life. So why would you chop out a section?

C

Thank you all so much for your input, which I have taken on board, it's greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards beginning in SJPDP and because of my limited time I can make up miles by bus that I need to miss to begin my walk with friends from Burgos to Santiago. Saying that it's still a hard decision and still open to change. I'll keep you posted on my ultimate decision.

Hi there I've found this thread very useful. I'm starting in Sjpdp in April and wondered how long it took to get to logrono in the end. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks NC

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@NC .... on you speed, your objectives, your plan with regards rest days, where you start from, illness, injuries, blisters, weather. Typically pilgrims take around 8 to 10 days or so to get to Logrono. It is about 170KMs from SJPP.

Hi NC, sorry I can't answer your query as I'm leaving in May. Enjoy your journey.

SJPDP is difficult to get to , Roncesvalles not and there are many beds available ............less fuss and that harsh first day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles has put an end to many starters.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back