A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

SJPdP to Orisson

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012
SJPdP-Pamplona 2018
My sister and I are only walking four days this time, starting April 4th 2018.
Day 1- SJPdP to Orisson
Day 2- to Roncesvalles
Day 3- Larrasoana
Day 4- Pamplona

We will get into SJPdP around 2pm and were thinking of starting the walk to Orisson then. I remember my first Camino and how quickly I got to Orisson so in my head it seems like a good idea. I´d love to hear your opinions. We need to save time so do you think it would be okay to start for Orisson around 2pm?

Thanks.

PS. I know I need reservations. :)

Advertisment

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
You'll be fine, the Napoleon route will be open once there isn't still snow.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
Only issue is getting there after 4 to 5 pm you may not score a lower bunk:rolleyes:

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
My sister and I are only walking four days this time, starting April 4th 2018.
Day 1- SJPdP to Orisson
Day 2- to Roncesvalles
Day 3- Larrasoana
Day 4- Pamplona

We will get into SJPdP around 2pm and were thinking of starting the walk to Orisson then. I remember my first Camino and how quickly I got to Orisson so in my head it seems like a good idea. I´d love to hear your opinions. We need to save time so do you think it would be okay to start for Orisson around 2pm?

Thanks.

PS. I know I need reservations. :)
Have you booked Orisson. I tried to book for the 5th and they would not take my booking as they wont know until much closer to the time if the route will be open. Depending on how many are starting that day, you may or may not be able to get a bed there. They recommended I phone the day before to check with them

Lucy Keenan

Camino(s) past & future
Northern Route - 2016
Santiago to Finestiere and Muxia - 2017
Frances Route - May 2018
Camino Ingles
Have you booked Orisson. I tried to book for the 5th and they would not take my booking as they wont know until much closer to the time if the route will be open. Depending on how many are starting that day, you may or may not be able to get a bed there. They recommended I phone the day before to check with them
I have already booked for 26th April si you should be fine to book now.

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
Please be SURE you have Orisson booked if you're beginning that late in the day. A couple of years ago, some folks I met in Roncesvalles had spent the night on the mountain in a snowstorm because they left late, it got dark, their phone lights burned out and they couldn't find their way down. Not worth the risk.

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
I have already booked for 26th April si you should be fine to book now.
They are booking for later in the month. They replied that for the first week, they are not taking bookings so for now it is just wait and hope

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
Keep in mind that if you do get to Orisson and cannot get a bed or not able to go on to Roncesvalles....you can easily call an taxi and return to SJPP.
You can then take a taxi back to Orisson in the morning and start to Roncesvalles.

Also remember that MOST pilgrims simply walk directly from St. Jean to Roncesvalles and never even consider stopping at Orisson. This APOC site often makes it sound like it a necessity to stop...it is not.

There are a very limited number of beds in Orisson and it cannot accommodate more than a very small number of the actual daily pilgrims walking to Roncesvalles.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%