• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Orisson?

AmyKS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020 - SJPDP to Pamplona
We are arriving into Biarritz airport at 1.15pm. One hour ish to SJPDP. Wondering if we would have time to walk to Orrison?
I think it might be tight.. looking at most posts it takes in and around 3 hours to walk... is it pushing it for day 1 and just relax in SJPDP and start next day to Roncesvalles or try walking to orrison day 1 ??
Thoughts please..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wouldn't push it. When are you traveling? Orisson needs to be booked as early as possible

I wouldn't push it. When are you traveling? Orisson needs to be booked as early as possible
Arriving first week of April.. yes looked up orrison and have to contact them if it is first week in april.. but dinner is at 6 30 I'm just afriad we might be rushing ourselves.. taking into account airport luggage transport etc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are arriving into Biarritz airport at 1.15pm. One hour ish to SJPDP. Wondering if we would have time to walk to Orrison?
I think it might be tight.. looking at most posts it takes in and around 3 hours to walk... is it pushing it for day 1 and just relax in SJPDP and start next day to Roncesvalles or try walking to orrison day 1 ??
Thoughts please..

You're probably lucky to get out of the airport in less than an hour.

SJPdP is a good place to get yourself sorted out before starting your walk.

Thoughts please..
The walk up to Orisson is steep with several sections of greater than a 6% grade and 1 more than 12%. Orjsson is about 1/3rd the distance to Roncesvalles and about 1/2 the elevation gain. The percentage figures are from Michelan map 190.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would enjoy St Jean PdP and forget pushing on to Orisson. St Jean is a great town and if you’ve not been before you should take some time there to explore.....you’ll also be able to visit the Pilgrim Office. The day one hike over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles is not as big a deal as many people make out, providing the weather isn’t too challenging, you‘ll make it with little problem in a day. Yes it is steep up the 8kms to Orisson but hey, pilgrimages shouldn’t be too easy, take it steady and enjoy the amazing views ! Buen Camino !

Plus the route may still be used in early April due to weather, meaning you’d have to find a place at the last moment in SJPdP for the night, and then walk the Valcarlos in the a.m. I think it’s much better to stay a night in SJPdP and then hike after a refreshing rest.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The sun doesn't set in early April until after 8pm:

so yes, you have time :).

You might miss supper though :(.

Arriving first week of April.. yes looked up orrison and have to contact them if it is first week in april.. but dinner is at 6 30 I'm just afriad we might be rushing ourselves.. taking into account airport luggage transport etc
I read on some post (maybe on other media), that Orisson wasn’t taking reservations until 11 April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would give yourself time in case things don’t run strictly to the timetable. Flight delay etc.

From my experience, an afternoon in SJPP worked very well. I bought the superb Michelin guide to the route, sorted out my registration at the pilgrims office and yes, bought a shell. Over my evening meal I met a fantastic chap from Cumbria called Roger. He was a bit of a calming influence being a seasoned walker.

The next morning I woke early, walked to Orisson and enjoyed wiling away the day watching pilgrims arrive and depart. The evening meal was great. Despite my reluctance at the time the introductions around the table became an important part of my journey.

Last thought, it’s not a race, why rush?

I‘d hate to be unnecessarily rushed and stressed on the first day of travel. As mentioned above, unexpected delays can happen...
If time is at a premium then I’d stay the night in SJPP, relax and skip Orisson.

First week of April maybe it will be a lot of snow in the mountain so not possibility to go by the Napoleon Route but only by Valcarlos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thoughts please..
I would say enjoy St Jean over night, then if you've booked Orisson, which you will probably need to do, set off about 10am and enjoy the 1st days walking. 3-4 hours.

The stupidest thing I ever did was rush to leave St Jean. Minneapolis to Paris, trains to Biarritz and cab to St Jean without rest- up 36 hours, slept 6 hours in St Jean and headed up the hill without much to eat. I was 56 years old at the time and thought I was going to die before reaching Orisson. The pictures I took are breathtaking but my memories are not.
Please be gentle with yourself. This shouldn’t be a race, but a journey to be savored. I’ve learned a lot in three caminos. Now I give myself two days to acclimate- one to just sleep and relax and the second to get to my start destination.

I get the impression that you are checking your backpack. Even if you have other luggage for whatever reason take your pack with you on the plane. You don't want to take the chance that the airline loses your pack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All three caminos, we spent a day and night in St Jean and really enjoyed our time there. There are lots of nice shops, bars and restaurants. It's great to mingle with other pilgrims at the pilgrim's office. We found a nice park right by the Spanish gates to have a picnic lunch with food and wine we bought in town. One disappointment for us during our second camino was learning that our albergue did not open until 3 pm, which required us to carry our backpacks with us, which is a challenge with the steep streets. Last fall, we stayed at Hotel Central and were able to leave our backpacks there until a room was available.

For each camino, we started hiking at 7 am. In 2015 we hiked the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles. For the other two caminos, we hiked the Valcarlos route. Each was enjoyable and we arrived at Roncesvalles around 3 pm, which gave us plenty of time to check in, find our bunk / room, have a few drinks at Café Sabina, then eat a nice dinner. Bob

All three caminos, we spent a day and night in St Jean and really enjoyed our time there. There are lots of nice shops, bars and restaurants. It's great to mingle with other pilgrims at the pilgrim's office. We found a nice park right by the Spanish gates to have a picnic lunch with food and wine we bought in town. One disappointment for us during our second camino was learning that our albergue did not open until 3 pm, which required us to carry our backpacks with us, which is a challenge with the steep streets. Last fall, we stayed at Hotel Central and were able to leave our backpacks there until a room was available.

For each camino, we started hiking at 7 am. In 2015 we hiked the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles. For the other two caminos, we hiked the Valcarlos route. Each was enjoyable and we arrived at Roncesvalles around 3 pm, which gave us plenty of time to check in, find our bunk / room, have a few drinks at Café Sabina, then eat a nice dinner. Bob
Were you on the old Leslie board? I was UnkleHammy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with Martin888. Talk time to ponder your coming Camino while in St. Jean. Get a good night's sleep, visit the pilgrim's office, and experience the lovely town. Then start early for Roncevalles. I booked a room at Orrison and ended up skipping it and going all the way. I was tired but it was worth it!

Orisson do not take bookings for first week of April as Napolean is only theoretically open from April 1st. If the route should be open on the day you arrive, the pilgrim office will phone and make a booking for you. I tried to book for April 5th 2018 and they responded with the info I have just related. I had made my plans for ValCarlos but the Napolean was open and the sun was blazing. Next morning, the wind was howling and it was pouring out of the heavens. As we left the road and took to the trail, the rain turned to hail and I walked the last few miles in a snow storm. So even though the route was open on the day, pilgrims starting the next day were told it was closed. Think very seriously about Val Carlos which by the way was closed because of snow just three days earlier and passage was by road only. Be careful and Buen Camino

I agree with Martin888. Talk time to ponder your coming Camino while in St. Jean. Get a good night's sleep, visit the pilgrim's office, and experience the lovely town. Then start early for Roncevalles. I booked a room at Orrison and ended up skipping it and going all the way. I was tired but it was worth it!
[/Q
I have a confirmed reservation at Orrison for Friday, April 10th.
They definitely do not do the first week. The second week is at the mercy of the weather. You may or may not be using that reservation so keep your fingers crossed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When traveling TO camino, I have my backpack organized to make it easy for inspection and to grab things, like medications, that I want access to while traveling. I am also traveling in clothing that I will not take with me while walking on pilgrimage.

So one of the reasons that I like to arrive as early in the day as I can into the starting point of my Caminos, like St Jean, is three-fold:

1. I want to relax and decompress from the travelling. I do not have much concern with jet lag over an 8 hour time difference between home and destination, but sitting for such a long period of time creates its own sense of 'fatigue'. I want to shower, lay and rest all stretched out for a bit, and then head out to see the sights.

2. I want to spend time just walking around and seeing the wonderful sights and to taste the wonderful foods and to drink some great Fanta Naranja. Getting re-hydrated from travelling by air with Fanta is wonderful. Others can have my share of vino :) I do need to stretch my muscles, get kinks out from sitting so much, and start to get my 'Walking Focus' warmed up for the next morning.

3. Pre-Camino chores. No biggie at all, though. I want to dump my backpack out and re-organize everything for backpacking/walking. I also want to take the stuff I will not be carrying from the travelling phase, and get it sent off to Ivar's shop in Santiago de Compostela (most of that consists of travel clothes and a supply of medications to have once I reach SdC).

The last thing I really think about wanting to do, is utilizing the day I arrive at a starting point, as my first day of Camino walking. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I stayed at Orisson, the next morning j continued on with strong wind from my left. I needed my poles to remain upright!

When traveling TO camino, I have my backpack organized to make it easy for inspection and to grab things, like medications, that I want access to while traveling. I am also traveling in clothing that I will not take with me while walking on pilgrimage.

So one of the reasons that I like to arrive as early in the day as I can into the starting point of my Caminos, like St Jean, is three-fold:

1. I want to relax and decompress from the travelling. I do not have much concern with jet lag over an 8 hour time difference between home and destination, but sitting for such a long period of time creates its own sense of 'fatigue'. I want to shower, lay and rest all stretched out for a bit, and then head out to see the sights.

2. I want to spend time just walking around and seeing the wonderful sights and to taste the wonderful foods and to drink some great Fanta Naranja. Getting re-hydrated from travelling by air with Fanta is wonderful. Others can have my share of vino :) I do need to stretch my muscles, get kinks out from sitting so much, and start to get my 'Walking Focus' warmed up for the next morning.

3. Pre-Camino chores. No biggie at all, though. I want to dump my backpack out and re-organize everything for backpacking/walking. I also want to take the stuff I will not be carrying from the travelling phase, and get it sent off to Ivar's shop in Santiago de Compostela (most of that consists of travel clothes and a supply of medications to have once I reach SdC).

The last thing I really think about wanting to do, is utilizing the day I arrive at a starting point, as my first day of Camino walking. :)
I planned on two nights in Saint Jean. Originally it was to deal with jet lag and a chance of the air lines getting messed up or prompt arrival. But my poles were lost in transit. So it gave me time to explore an interesting town and buy replacement poles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree and another benefit of staying a night in st Jean is hearing the very latest weather report for the walk via Orisson. There are constant updates st the pilgrim hostel which are really worth listening to.

Thoughts please..
I would relax find yourself albergue and tackle it fresh and ready next day. We arrived early enough to have done that walk but SJPDP is lovely village to explore. Enjoy that experience and there will be many my friend. Buen Camino.

refering to infos I got from Orisson, they did not take reservations until April 11th, for reasons of the weather. When you will sleep earlier, you should phone them 2 days earlier. I intend to stay there April 6th.

I have a confirmed reservation at Orrison for Friday, April 10th.
Hi I received an email a few days ago telling me I had requested a reservation and that they would get back to me with a confirmation. There was no place in their website to put in a date. While they are currently closed they did say they were responding to requests. For those that have used this process, how long did it take to receive a confirmation of booking? Thanks

Hi I received an email a few days ago telling me I had requested a reservation and that they would get back to me with a confirmation. There was no place in their website to put in a date. While they are currently closed they did say they were responding to requests. For those that have used this process, how long did it take to receive a confirmation of booking? Thanks

I had mine within 24 hours. But, I originally requested the date last August. They told me I had to wait until November 15th to book that date. I sent them an email on that date and they confirmed my reservation.

The first day to Orisson is a tough climb. Highly recommend you start the next morning, get there by lunch, relax in their lovely patio, and make your first Camino friends. My friend and I found we were strongly connected to 3 other women at our table via the Air Force, a little town in Oregon, and one woman’s sister. It was amazing! Crossed paths with them throughout, still in touch. Buen Camino!

Thoughts please..

I'd like to know how you are getting from Biarritz airport to SJPDP in about one hour. I took a bus from the airport to Bayonne, walked from the bus stop to the rail station, then by train to SJPDP. I don't know how long it took, but it was much, much longer than one hour.

I'd like to know how you are getting from Biarritz airport to SJPDP in about one hour. I took a bus from the airport to Bayonne, walked from the bus stop to the rail station, then by train to SJPDP. I don't know how long it took, but it was much, much longer than one hour.

Express Bouricott shuttle or taxi. When I take it, the ride with Express Bouricott is from 50 to 60 minutes in length.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why rush? See SJPP! It’s a lovely village. 💕

This was what I wished when I did the Frances and why this year I am giving myself an extra Day in SJPdP.

For the OP: Orisson from St Jean is pretty quick... it's about 10 KMs so walking speed easily 3 hours max. It's up up up hill though.

Alternatively I would recommend staying in St J the night then chilling out and walking up the next day. Not sure on your general plan but there are plenty of days to make up the time I would consider much less interesting than Orisson.

I planned on two nights in Saint Jean. Originally it was to deal with jet lag and a chance of the air lines getting messed up or prompt arrival. But my poles were lost in transit. So it gave me time to explore an interesting town and buy replacement poles.

!! Also the outdoor store in St Jean is very inexpensive compared to here in Canada. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Thoughts please..

If your party is fit and used to walking in the hills, it can be achieved in just under two hours. Three hours should be plenty; just remember to adjust your pace according to the gradient and temperature. Try to establish a good walking rhythm and placing the slowest person at the front is good for morale. Enjoy.

As others have mentioned, I took Express Bourricot and it took prox an hour. €19

The day I visited the outdoor store in St Jean I was served by a lady from Montreal. I believe she is the owner. Being a Canadian, that was a good start for me and yes, found prices reasonable. On day 1, I walked to Roncevalles. The day started with beautiful sun, then rain, then snow! (See pics). This was March, 2018. Orisson is not open then. Nancy from Winnipeg 🇨🇦30C0358D-155A-46C4-BD38-AE764282486D.jpeg7D658D53-9BC6-4568-83CE-9D7B631E3A8E.jpeg

I assume that means you shared the taxi, correct?
BC SY
Yes. I shared the taxi - it is a van. When I made my reservation, the company put together people to fill the van. The price of the ride is XX and then is divided by how many people are in the van. A full van, in Sept 2019, was €19 each person.

The day I visited the outdoor store in St Jean I was served by a lady from Montreal. I believe she is the owner. Being a Canadian, that was a good start for me and yes, found prices reasonable. On day 1, I walked to Roncevalles. The day started with beautiful sun, then rain, then snow! (See pics). This was March, 2018. Orisson is not open then. Nancy from Winnipeg 🇨🇦View attachment 68963View attachment 68964
English is a funny language:
.... maybe I have not visited Canada enough in the last 57 years, but what is the "outdoor store in St Jean" ? and what do you buy there? Thanks.

We seem to be re-christening this place name. This is the second thread I've changed today! The spelling is Orisson. One r only, two s'es.

.... maybe I have not visited Canada enough in the last 57 years, but what is the "outdoor store in St Jean" ? and what do you buy there? Thanks.
If it's the store I have in mind, it is rather small, but has items often used by pilgrims: poles, water bottles, ponchos, and such.

There are two sports stores in St Jean, of which I am aware - Boutique du Pelerin, at 32 Rue de la Citadelle (near the Pilgrims Office) which specialises in pilgrim needs, and Maya Sport at 18 Avenue du Jai Alai, which is a generalist store, stocking goods for all kinds of sports, in the flatter part of town, near the Carrefour supermarket.
There are also a couple of bicyclist specialist shops that may have pilgrim useful goods.

Where you buy outdoor equipment, clothing. I bought gaters to keep my pant legs and boots dry.

Thoughts please..

NO! What the hurry? Depending where you are traveling from, your might be tired and need some time to acclimate in St. Jean. I arrived about the same time as you, had a few hours to unpack and walk into the village. The following day I went deeper into my exploration and enjoyed a few nice meals. On day 3, I was up and adam and ready to go, fresh, strong and eager. Sound advice

I agree no need to rush. Enjoy SJPDP it’s pretty place and start afresh after a good nights sleep. That first climb to Orisson is your first test of the Camino. Enjoy each day you won’t regret that you took the time. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back