• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Roncesvalles in a Day....hmm

montedelrey

Time of past OR future Camino
June 7-July 12, 2012
My wife and I did the Camino in 2012 and started in Pamplona. We will be back on the Camino June 1, and have decided to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day (weather permitting). We are pretty avid walkers and have been averaging 6-11 miles every other day. We are now walking with backpacks (using 10% rule...10% of bodyweight). We live near a National Park with lots of hills so we are getting the chance to walk on flat and very hilly roads. We are in our early sixties and in pretty good shape. I have been reading a lot of conversations about NOT walking all the way to Roncesvalles but instead breaking it up and staying overnight in Orrison. I am starting to get a bit freaked out about our decision. What about it? Need some positives here about our decision.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Going from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is very doable, this of course will depend largely on the weather if you're using the Napoleon route.
I'm not sure but I think Orrison accommodates about 40/50, so with the number leaving SJPdP the majority will be travelling straight over to Roncesvalles.
As you say you are experienced hikers, so leaving at first light should see you over the top and into Roncesvalles by tea time.
I'm sure more experienced pilgrims will be along to offer advice soon.

Of course you can do it!! Sure, there's a lot of talk about stopping partway, but if you keep putting one foot after the other you will get there just fine! You can even roll down the last bit of you need to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That vast majority of pilgrims walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles in one day. It's doable and immensely satisfying. There's also great camaraderie along the way.
You might want to consider booking your beds in Roncesvalles, so that you don't feel under any pressure to walk faster than is comfortable (especially on the downhill section) .
Buen Camino!

To help you in booking accommodation in Roncesvalles as suggested by NualaOC here is the handy Gronze guide for both the pilgrim albergue and hotels. Tap each listing for more info. The pilgrim albergue must be booked at least 5 days in advance of your arrival date.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you start out before midday - and most walkers will be heading out before 8am - then SJPP to Roncesvalles is eminently doable. Stopping and staying at Orisson - which is reached in 2 hours max - makes no sense at all to me unless one starts out in late afternoon. Keep going to Roncesvalles (or beyond - I went as far as Espinal - about another hour beyond Roncesvalles).

In Camino terms the albergues in Huntto and Orrison are relatively new. Before they existed, all pilgrims that didn't take the Valcarlos route, walked SJPdP > Roncesvalles in one day and 99,99% made it ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I started at SJPDP at 7:30am and was at Orisson two hours later. There is NO WAY I was going to stay at Orisson. It was a beautiful day and I am so glad I pressed on. Staying at Orisson made no sense to me whatsoever.

Many raved about staying in Orisson; not for me. Plenty of places along the Camino to rejoice, Orisson is not unique in that aspect.

Aim for Roncesvalles, pace yourself, take frequent breaks, have a safe and Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree with all the above comments, if the weather is good it is very doable. My wife and I are in our 60's and found it to be one of the most memorable days on our Camino. We started at 7:30 and were in Orisson for a great bfk by 10 am and into Roncesvalles by 3pm. The only difficult part is the downhill into Roncesvalles take your time.

My wife and I did the Camino in 2012 and started in Pamplona. We will be back on the Camino June 1, and have decided to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day (weather permitting). We are pretty avid walkers and have been averaging 6-11 miles every other day. We are now walking with backpacks (using 10% rule...10% of bodyweight). We live near a National Park with lots of hills so we are getting the chance to walk on flat and very hilly roads. We are in our early sixties and in pretty good shape. I have been reading a lot of conversations about NOT walking all the way to Roncesvalles but instead breaking it up and staying overnight in Orrison. I am starting to get a bit freaked out about our decision. What about it? Need some positives here about our decision.
Hi, my opinion is that going to the albergue Orisson is the hardest part of the day to Roncesvalles.
Wish you a wonderful grossing over the Pyrenees.
Buen Camino, Peter.

Whew! That makes me feel a lot better!!
We have booked reservations in Roncesvalles so won't have to worry about getting a bed and can hopefully walk at a "peaceful" pace. Will definitely stop in Orisson for rest and a bite.
We can't wait to get back to the Camino.
Thank you all!
P.S. How long would you say it takes to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles? I understand the downhill to Roncesvalles is difficult.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Think about doing the Valcarlos route. I walked it today. Started off randomly with a couple of other ladies. So far the peregrino count in Valcarlos is 8. Seeing the overcrowded train from Bayonne yesterday would indicate 92 percent were going via Route Napoleon today. Buenos Camino!

Whew! That makes me feel a lot better!!
We have booked reservations in Roncesvalles so won't have to worry about getting a bed and can hopefully walk at a "peaceful" pace. Will definitely stop in Orisson for rest and a bite.
We can't wait to get back to the Camino.
Thank you all!
P.S. How long would you say it takes to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles? I understand the downhill to Roncesvalles is difficult.
Last year I walked it in about 4 hours I think. :cool:

... How long would you say it takes to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles? I understand the downhill to Roncesvalles is difficult.

It really depends on the weather, I realize that isn't exactly helpful, but in 2014, when I crossed the Pyrenees, I was fit as never before in my life, but the wind was so strong that I barely made 1km/h. I started at first light in SJPdP and arrived ~5pm in Roncesvalles. Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked from SJPdP in June without stopping at Orisson for the night. If you are in reasonable shape it should be no trouble to you. When I did it I was overweight in ill fitting boots. a dickie hip (since replaced) and a school backpack(since replaced) borrowed from one of my kids (not replaced). It's not an easy walk, but it is a manageable one. The weather should be good by June 1st.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nine hours approx. from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Good weather. Pilgrim in his early sixties, not athletic but used to long walks.
Again: the Pilgrim's bureau in SJPP does not recommend, in Lepoeder pass, the forest downhill to Roncesvalles (this way is currently marked in the map given by the bureau with a big "X"). Apparently, they concluded it is too risky, especially with bad weather. Some pilgrims choose it, anyway.
The current recommended route is by way of Ibañeta, which is a paved road, with some shortcuts. Quite easy, pleasant views.
The options are clearly signposted in Lepoeder.

Well, on the basis that you are used to walking 6-11miles a day I would stop at Orisson, you will need to book it gets very busy or there is a B&B just before Orisson which is very nice! The route is very steep in places. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did it at 61yrs. A long day, but you should be fine. Enjoy!

We started in SJPP about eight days ago, but stopped in Orrison in part to allow for a recovery from jet lag. I just turned 60 and, in retrospect, think going all the way to Roncesvalles on the first day would have been fine. For us, we stopped in Orrison for the experience, meeting a smaller group of pilgrims (40 or so) over a communal meal. Those same people have been our constant companions and Camino family so far on our journey.

I would agree with about 7 hours from Orisson, the downhill is only hard because it's after the climb to the highest point .. when I did it it was humid (later September) and then cold at the top and raining cats and dogs(!) but there was a caravan selling bananas and hot chocolate, I thought I had died and was in heaven!!

Stopping in Orisson has really become a "must" in the last few years withe the advent of the new hordes that are now seen on the Camino Frances.

The available beds there are a very small percentage of the daily number of pilgrims walking the Napoleon route now. Thus...most pilgrims continue to walk through to Roncesvalles.

Many, if not most, are under fit, overweight, overpacked and over stressed. You will be amazed at the other people walking...and they all make it!

Your age will not be a factor..your level of fitness will.
Early sixties will make you in one of the younger groups.

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I think my wife and I will give it a go.
SJPDP to Roncesvalles, June 1, 2016, Here we come!!
Wish us luck and we hope to meet you along the Camino
Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep going the walk to orrison isn’t a challenge enough to have stay over but going all the way really does challenge you. But remember it isn’t a race. X

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.