• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP to Roncesvalles

Vaughan Bell

Time of past OR future Camino
May - June 2018
Hi,

Starting our first Camino from SJPDP on 6 May. Already read a heap of threads regarding this stage and musing about the prospect of stopping at Orisson. However, from recent forum posts it sounds like it is already getting fully booked! What is the likelihood of just turning up on the day and getting a bunk? Already tried a few times to book but get no replies!

Is it likely to be super busy in first week of May? And I hear the Auberge Orrison is a pretty cool place to crash after the steep ascent from SJPDP. If that’s full, is there any where else to stay at Orisson?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

Starting our first Camino from SJPDP on 6 May. Already read a heap of threads regarding this stage and musing about the prospect of stopping at Orisson. However, from recent forum posts it sounds like it is already getting fully booked! What is the likelihood of just turning up on the day and getting a bunk? Already tried a few times to book but get no replies!

Is it likely to be super busy in first week of May? And I hear the Auberge Orrison is a pretty cool place to crash after the steep ascent from SJPDP. If that’s full, is there any where else to stay at Orisson?

Nearby to Orisson try Honto/Ithurburia as an alternative. See more here--
http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Bon chance!

Hi,

Hey Vaughn,

First, thank you for the Likes today.

I am one of the few who will never book a place outside of SJPP on the first day. If you show up and there are no beds available, the folks at Orrison will get you to where there is a bed. An option is to take a cab back to SJPP and cab it back to Orrison in the morning.

Either way, it will all work out.

Funny story: I walked up to Orrison in Aug/16. It took me from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM to get there, and a good samaritan took my pack for the last 2 km up to Orisson. Once there I told the lady at the Desk, "I can go no further. I do not have a reservation, but I am happy to wait to see if there is a no show or a cancellation. Otherwise, I am just as happy to sleep outside this window, as I pointed out toward the road." My pack arrived before me. She booked me in immediately and Jacques grabbed my pack, carried it across the road and down tp the lowest level. I wish he had carried me down there as well. :cool:

That was such a great experience, staying there.

In 8 days, I will be leaving SJPP and taking the Valcarlos Route this time. I wish I was leaving right now!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

Not very likely to get a bunk if you just show up. Also, after arriving at Orisson, you may find that you have a lot of the day yet ahead. With a nice rest break, and some refreshment or a meal at Orisson, you may find that it is just fine to continue on; especially since the steepest grade will be behind you and the rest of the way, while still going mostly uphill, is fairly moderate to gentle.

Hi,

@Vaughan Bell
Another place to stay close to Orisson is the Gite Kayola, about 800 metres before Orisson and managed by Orisson. You cannot eat at Orisson, but there is a kitchen at Kayola, if you are willing to bring your food up with you from St Jean pied de Port, for your evening meal and for breakfast. It is booked through Orisson. You can find information on their web site. Contact them at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr to make a booking. Good luck and buen camino.

Keep walking over the mountain if you can it’s a hard first day but one of the best. Be
Roared to shed tears on arrival and ask yourself what am I doing. By the end of your first pilgrim meal meeting fellow pilgrims youlll understand why x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings to all

Going from 200 metres above sea level to 1,400 (or 700 feet asl to 4,700) in less than 20 km is a challenge.

So, in my view and experience, two things are necessary.

Firstly, of course, being fit. Having done appropriate training before leaving home is essential. I strongly suggest work up to achieving, say, 15 km (about 3 hours) non-stop before a breakfast stop. And work to achieving an elevation increase of, say, 700 metres before a breakfast stop.

Secondly, find a technique that works for you for going up steep inclines. The technique that works for me is take short steps up inclines (the steeper the shorter) and to breathe in with each time I move, say, the left foot forward and breathe out each time I move the right foot forward. A similar technique also works on steep descents. A short step was one where the heel of one foot did not go in front of the toes of the other. Using that technique (and the fitness I had attained) I achieved Orisson from Saint-Jean in under two hours, passed those taking a "normal" step very slowly, and was not passed.

Or else consider starting at Estella.

I walked to Orisson with no difficulty at the age of 67 and with no training. It was just a walk. I was, however, in good health and with many years experience of mountain hiking. I don't know how long I took, as I was not in a hurry and had a reservation at Orisson. If you have health issues or are seriously overweight, you might want to take it easy or do some training in advance. My only discomfort walking the caminos (three so far) came from a brief effort to push my walking pace in preparation for my first camino, which resulted in chronic shin splints which I have been managing ever since.

If you're fit and able,I say go all the way to Roncesvalles,unless u have health issues you will be well able and its a fabulous first days walking. Yes,considered one of the more difficult days but honestly its not. Take it easy,go at your own pace etc. As i said,any issues with health etc,take it easy. If not,just walk right on!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hey Vaughn,

First, thank you for the Likes today.

I am one of the few who will never book a place outside of SJPP on the first day. If you show up and there are no beds available, the folks at Orrison will get you to where there is a bed. An option is to take a cab back to SJPP and cab it back to Orrison in the morning.

Either way, it will all work out.

Funny story: I walked up to Orrison in Aug/16. It took me from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM to get there, and a good samaritan took my pack for the last 2 km up to Orisson. Once there I told the lady at the Desk, "I can go no further. I do not have a reservation, but I am happy to wait to see if there is a no show or a cancellation. Otherwise, I am just as happy to sleep outside this window, as I pointed out toward the road." My pack arrived before me. She booked me in immediately and Jacques grabbed my pack, carried it across the road and down tp the lowest level. I wish he had carried me down there as well. :cool:

That was such a great experience, staying there.

In 8 days, I will be leaving SJPP and taking the Valcarlos Route this time. I wish I was leaving right now!!!
great story - thanks!

Greetings to all

Going from 200 metres above sea level to 1,400 (or 700 feet asl to 4,700) in less than 20 km is a challenge.

So, in my view and experience, two things are necessary.

Firstly, of course, being fit. Having done appropriate training before leaving home is essential. I strongly suggest work up to achieving, say, 15 km (about 3 hours) non-stop before a breakfast stop. And work to achieving an elevation increase of, say, 700 metres before a breakfast stop.

Secondly, find a technique that works for you for going up steep inclines. The technique that works for me is take short steps up inclines (the steeper the shorter) and to breathe in with each time I move, say, the left foot forward and breathe out each time I move the right foot forward. A similar technique also works on steep descents. A short step was one where the heel of one foot did not go in front of the toes of the other. Using that technique (and the fitness I had attained) I achieved Orisson from Saint-Jean in under two hours, passed those taking a "normal" step very slowly, and was not passed.

Or else consider starting at Estella.

Insofar as going up or down steep slopes, I have found that what works best for me is zig-zag walking. That way I can keep my normal pacing and have the effective gradient reduced by as much as 40%!

Of course, to each his/her own...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stage 1 done. Yes challenging, but very doable!!! Descent is murder on the knees and hips. Use the hiking poles, they definitely help!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Insofar as going up or down steep slopes, I have found that what works best for me is zig-zag walking. That way I can keep my normal pacing and have the effective gradient reduced by as much as 40%!

Of course, to each his/her own...
Traversing a slope, up or down, is a well tested strategy for reducing the grade and picking more carefully through the scree! Works well and reduces the injury possibility

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back