• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP arrival and stay

Flatcat

We'll be arriving in Biaritz around 2 pm and will organize. Van to SJPP.
Will I have enough time to deal with the paperwork/ credentials to start the Camino or should we stay an extra day there before embarking?
Thx
Clint
April 23 in SJPP 2016

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will I have enough time to deal with the paperwork/ credentials to start the Camino or should we stay an extra day there before embarking?
Thx
Clint
April 23 in SJPP 2016
Hi Clint, you can pre order your Credencial here on the forum. When you arrive in SJPdP go to the pilgrims office get your first stamp and than go to the albergue / hostel and after that you can walk around.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thx
Clint
April 23 in SJPP 2016
I am arriving at noon and staying the night just to not rush the beginning and get over jet lag . Bob

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Flat, (are we related? )
Just what I plan to do next March. Enjoy & Buen Camino.
Bobcat

I find that flying in from Canada I am completely fine with one night at the starting town. I get over the jet lag by napping on bus or train between the airport and destination. I would rather walk a shorter day on the fist day than sit around somewhere for a full 36 hours. Opt for Orisson if you want the first day to be shorter. Plus, if you are planning to stay in albergues you would nit be able to stay for 2 consecutive days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find that flying in from Canada I am completely fine with one night at the starting town. I get over the jet lag by napping on bus or train between the airport and destination. I would rather walk a shorter day on the fist day than sit around somewhere for a full 36 hours. Opt for Orisson if you want the first day to be shorter. Plus, if you are planning to stay in albergues you would nit be able to stay for 2 consecutive days.
Were flying direct from Vancouver to Paris and staying 3 nights before making our way down to SJPP, so wont have any jet lag issues.
Just wanted to make sure that if im in SJPP by 3 or 4 pm , we have enough time to check in a start the next day early.
Thx for all the input from everyone
Clint

Were flying direct from Vancouver to Paris and staying 3 nights before making our way down to SJPP, so wont have any jet lag issues.
Just wanted to make sure that if im in SJPP by 3 or 4 pm , we have enough time to check in a start the next day early.
Thx for all the input from everyone
Clint
Absolutely, all you will be doing is queuing a bit, most probably, and then spend 5 minutes filling out the info for their stats and to get your credencial. The pilgrim office is on the main street in the old town where many of the albergues are located. Easy peasy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thx
Clint
April 23 in SJPP 2016

you have ample time to take the bus immediately outside the Airport on your left hand side (20 minutes to Bayonne station) and take the train to SJPP if you wish. and feel the excitement build.

on my very first camino I had this physical sense once I started to leave SJPP. walking under the archway crossing the bridge, weeks later it seemed so very long ago..remember even walking with others . its "your camino".

paperwork etc takes around 15 minutes which can be done when you arrive or in the morning......

you have ample time to take the bus immediately outside the Airport on your left hand side (20 minutes to Bayonne station) and take the train to SJPP if you wish. and feel the excitement build.

on my very first camino I had this physical sense once I started to leave SJPP. walking under the archway crossing the bridge, weeks later it seemed so very long ago..remember even walking with others . its "your camino".

paperwork etc takes around 15 minutes which can be done when you arrive or in the morning......
What time can you do your paperwork until?
5 pm or 6 pm on a friday

That 'paperwork' at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP located at 39 rue de La Citadelle takes only a few minutes; however in season the lines may be long. The office is open every day of the year from early morning until the last transport arrives at night; ie roughly 08:00 until 22:00.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take as much time as you can. You are about to head off into an unforgettable experience and you need to savour every moment . There are no prizes at the end. - just enormous self belief and satisfaction. You will return anyway, but just take it easy and Buen Camino.

That 'paperwork' at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP located at 39 rue de La Citadelle takes only a few minutes; however in season the lines may be long. The office is open every day of the year from early morning until the last transport arrives at night; ie roughly 08:00 until 22:00.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!
Thank You

Ms path, perhaps you can tell me: Being from Dublin, Ireland, I can get my Credencial at St James' Parish Church on James' Street. Will I have to 'register' in SJPP too?

In case anyone asks, yes it's beside Guinness brewery at 'St James' Gate' so called because long ago, pilgrims would gather there before boarding a boat on the river bound for Spain and the walk to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you Wayfarer & mspath. From the Forum I understand the Napoleon will not be open till April first, so I'll be 'coming round the mountain' as it were... But without the 'silk pyjamas'!! R

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From a different thread: Important information for anyone planning to walk the Camino this winter:

Given the increasing number of interventions by emergency teams to rescue pilgrims attempting to cross the mountains in winter, as well as the recovery of the bodies of pilgrims who have died in the attempt, authorities have declared that the Lepoeder Pass on the Route Napoleón is closed to pilgrims from 1 November to 31 March.

I was a substitute teacher today, so had a bit of time to download all of my travel tickets, etc.

My plans are to arrive Spain and spend the night at Corazon Puro, and then I'll spend the next night in St. Jean Pied de Port, mostly because I am in no rush and I want to be a tourist and walk around, looking in the shops, buying the sandwich, checking in, staying at the cool albuergue across from the pilgrim's office.

I've spent so much time anticipating the beginning of the journey that I want to nestle and wallow in it, savor it all, take it in, smile a lot and call my husband and say, "see!"

Thanks Debrita.
You said. "and call my husband and say, "see!""
Isn't gloating against the Forum rules?

On serious note, yes, I had read that note too. Mooching round in SJPP for a while sounds like a good start to a no-rush Camino. I'm going 'around' as opposed to going over! Going to stop at least one night en route to Ronces- Valles. I'm 66 this month and an inexperienced walker.

Thanks Debrita.
You said. "and call my husband and say, "see!""
Isn't gloating against the Forum rules?

On serious note, yes, I had read that note too. Mooching round in SJPP for a while sounds like a good start to a no-rush Camino. I'm going 'around' as opposed to going over! Going to stop at least one night en route to Ronces- Valles. I'm 66 this month and an inexperienced walker.

I have to listen closely to my 56-year-old body too. Today is my birthday!! I'm just newly 56.

With my husband, I am sure the conversation will sound more like, "Honey! honey! it's me! I'm fine! Oh, it's so beautiful here!"

I'm a pretty expressive and excited person, ha ha : )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With my husband, I am sure the conversation will sound more like
When I leave the house to walk to the bus at the start of my camino, I feel so free and excited. I always imagine my husband is doing a little happy dance on the other side of the door as he closes it! Undoubtedly, as soon as I am out of sight, he grabs his tennis racket and leaves the house too. After 34 years, we are still independent individuals.

When I leave the house to walk to the bus at the start of my camino, I feel so free and excited. I always imagine my husband is doing a little happy dance on the other side of the door as he closes it! Undoubtedly, as soon as I am out of sight, he grabs his tennis racket and leaves the house too. After 34 years, we are still independent individuals.

This sounds just like my husband too, except that he spends hours and hours in the garage restoring old classic motorbikes. I catch him smiling to himself more and more as the day I leave gets nearer and nearer. I just hope I don’t get back one day and find the engine dismantled on the sitting room floor! Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
find the engine dismantled on the sitting room floor!.... Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Will arrive SJPdP late morning of Sept 24 via the good Corazon Puro folks. Purchasing my poles; would like to visit the pilgrim centre and browse through what appears to be a most charming town. Overnight at Beilari and begin my walk Sept 25. It is my earnest hope to proceed on the Napoleon route, however should weather interfere and I travel the Valcarlos route, is there any way to Orisson other than 'bashing through bracken' as one member put it. I do have a reservation and from what I understand, the Valcarlos route is a long way to Roncesvalles with little or no stops for food or water….I have just a tad of angst around that. Either way, I know they will bring their own experience and I do want to remain open to whatever happens….

Will arrive SJPdP late morning of Sept 24 via the good Corazon Puro folks. Purchasing my poles; would like to visit the pilgrim centre and browse through what appears to be a most charming town. Overnight at Beilari and begin my walk Sept 25. It is my earnest hope to proceed on the Napoleon route, however should weather interfere and I travel the Valcarlos route, is there any way to Orisson other than 'bashing through bracken' as one member put it. I do have a reservation and from what I understand, the Valcarlos route is a long way to Roncesvalles with little or no stops for food or water….I have just a tad of angst around that. Either way, I know they will bring their own experience and I do want to remain open to whatever happens….

Hi Maggie
It's just the 2nd half of the Valcarlos route that is without stops - a distance of about 16km if you stay on the road, or less if you take the marked woodland paths which cut out a few of the hairpin bends. Before that are two villages (Arneguy and Valcarlos) which both have places to stay. Valcarlos is a little under half-way between St Jean and Roncesvalles and has several places, including what is apparently a good municipal albergue. You could also, if you wanted to, take a taxi from wherever you get to up to Orisson and back the next day to continue, but it's probably easier to stay in Valcarlos if you go that way.

Anyway - you have the right attitude - to remain open to whatever happens. So close now! Really excited for you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Maggie
It's just the 2nd half of the Valcarlos route that is without stops - a distance of about 16km if you stay on the road, or less if you take the marked woodland paths which cut out a few of the hairpin bends. Before that are two villages (Arneguy and Valcarlos) which both have places to stay. Valcarlos is a little under half-way between St Jean and Roncesvalles and has several places, including what is apparently a good municipal albergue. You could also, if you wanted to, take a taxi from wherever you get to up to Orisson and back the next day to continue, but it's probably easier to stay in Valcarlos if you go that way.

Anyway - you have the right attitude - to remain open to whatever happens. So close now! Really excited for you!
Many thanks for your post. I really don't wish to take a taxi. I'll leave it to the weather Gods to determine my route. 16kms certainly seems doable. And I would be sure to pack enough food and water from St. Jean and then again at Arneguy/Valcarlos. I've done a lot of travelling but I just know in my heart this journey is going to be something extraordinary, regardless of the conga line. :>)

I love this thread...imagining everyone about to set out.
And CaminoDebrita, happy happy belated birthday!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back