• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP-Finisterre: 17 days Y/N en pied?

Grant Page

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked SJPP to Burgos in 2014
Hello all, after my very first experience on El Camino in 2014, I'm wondering if it's realistic to do it in 17 days. I appreciate that much will be missed en route, but the challenge seems worth the price.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where's my pencil...850k / 17 days = 50k a day. Not such a good speed for a bicycle or a motorbike, rather demanding perhaps overwhelming en pied, "Different Strokes for Different Folks" but I feel moved to ask "Why"?

How long did it take you last time?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where's my pencil...850k / 17 days = 50k a day. Not such a good speed for a bicycle or a motorbike, rather demanding perhaps overwhelming en pied, "Different Strokes for Different Folks" but I feel moved to ask "Why"?
It's just how I tick......I hope to do the Camino many more times in my life; but whilst I'm relatively young, I'd like to do it as quick as my body will allow. It also helps because I have a job!

Carrying a horn with you to warn slower pilgrims and the occasional cyclist that you will be blasting by them

I am sure the dust storm you will leave behind will be seen for miles and miles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only did the first 300km in 12 days with my wife
I don't think the second half is any faster or slower than the first, so I imagine it's 'just' a case of doing twice as much for twice as long really. Choose the right time of year for daylight, and beds for late arrivals. Good luck!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Carrying a horn with you to warn slower pilgrims and the occasional cyclist that you will be blasting by them

Haha...5km per hour on average

I'm not sure why you want to do this because as you already indicated you will miss a lot. However at that rate of walking except for the walking you will pretty much miss everything else
I think living in Spain helps me catch up with what I'll miss.

Those would be some long days. Leave in the dark, arrive in the dark. Kinda like when I used to work 12+ hour long days doing shift work. Sucked the soul outta my body.
I suppose doable if you don't mind giving up relaxing stops at cafes, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Those would be some long days. Leave in the dark, arrive in the dark. Kinda like when I used to work 12+ hour long days doing shift work. Sucked the soul outta my body.
I suppose doable if you don't mind giving up relaxing stops at cafes, etc.
I'm hoping it will test my soul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Dr is IN:
Many years ago, I was reassigned from California (on the West Coast) to Virginia (on the East Coast). This was the first opportunity my wife and young son had to travel across this grand land and see the sights. The first day, we started out in San Clemente,CA at 0330. It was dark and it would get darker. That day, we traveled almost 800 miles in 17 hours. Fast food and short rest stops included. All told it took us only three days to speed across coast to coast. I can remember each night thanking my wife and son for hanging in there. I apologized for the many historical and interesting sights we missed. And, I thought, since they didn't complain, they were having a good time.
Fifteen years later, the family was sitting in front of the TV watching a documentary on Interstate Highway 40, the third longest highway in the USA. I prefaced the documentary reminding the family we drove along that same route years ago. There were historic towns, Civil War battlefields, natural marvels and, much, much more.
We now had a daughter and she was fascinated enough to ask at which of these great sites did we stop.
Without missing a beat, both my wife and son announced, loudly: "None!"
My wife went on to say that it was the most awful trip of her life and, didn't say anything because she knew how important getting to my new assignment was to me.
The moral of the story: Sometimes we can assume that no comment is acquiescence.
Disclaimer: This of course is my story and in no way reflects the moods, actions, in actions, proclivities, obsessions, drive, or lack thereof of any other human, animal, super hero or pilgrim either real or imagined.

The Dr is IN:
Many years ago, I was reassigned from California (on the West Coast) to Virginia (on the East Coast). This was the first opportunity my wife and young son had to travel across this grand land and see the sights. The first day, we started out in San Clemente,CA at 0330. It was dark and it would get darker. That day, we traveled almost 800 miles in 17 hours. Fast food and short rest stops included. All told it took us only three days to speed across coast to coast. I can remember each night thanking my wife and son for hanging in there. I apologized for the many historical and interesting sights we missed. And, I thought, since they didn't complain, they were having a good time.
Fifteen years later, the family was sitting in front of the TV watching a documentary on Interstate Highway 40, the third longest highway in the USA. I prefaced the documentary reminding the family we drove along that same route years ago. There were historic towns, Civil War battlefields, natural marvels and, much, much more.
We now had a daughter and she was fascinated enough to ask at which of these great sites did we stop.
Without missing a beat, both my wife and son announced, loudly: "None!"
My wife went on to say that it was the most awful trip of her life and, didn't say anything because she knew how important getting to my new assignment was to me.
The moral of the story: Sometimes we can assume that no comment is acquiescence.
Disclaimer: This of course is my story and in no way reflects the moods, actions, in actions, proclivities, obsessions, drive, or lack thereof of any other human, animal, super hero or pilgrim either real or imagined.
Thank you for sharing and I fully understand your sentiment behind it. I feel I should add more to my thread....I'm nearly halfway completing the Camino the normal way with my wife; we have enjoyed every town/village along the way too.

Why will you walk almost 900 km. in 17 day's , The only you do is walk , eat and sleep.
As you walk like this you don't enjoy the Camino. This is how i feel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why will you walk almost 900 km. in 17 day's , The only you do is walk , eat and sleep.
As you walk like this you don't enjoy the Camino. This is how i feel.
But I love to walk (and sleep). I have also enjoyed the Camino at a normal pace

...never bolted a meal or a drink in my life...
.... but, hey....
....if it floats your boat - go for it.......;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Haha...5km per hour on average

I would think the time of year you are planning this will also make a difference. Even at 5k/hour, that is still 10 hours walking time EVERY day. Say you leave at 6 am each morning, that puts you at your destination at 4 pm each day not counting eating and rest breaks. You might want to consider booking your bed in advance. There is a forum member BeatriceKarjalainen who walked last year in 23 days and still had time to take lots of photos and she thoroughly enjoyed her Camino, so I do think it is possible to do it in 17 days, it is just not going to be easy :) Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I would cut the time down to 14 days and give yourself a couple of extra days to visit the Santiago

Then you will discover the meaning of the camino

I think pushing the physical helps enhancing the emotional and spiritual journeys
What does it say in the movie? " The true pilgrim's poor, and must suffer."
I agree with you that something could be said for limiting the jibber-jabber, as well as frills and frou-frou on the road: maybe it would enhance the introspection, the contemplation, the reflection.
It's your Camino. Do what you will, consonant with your goals.
Buen Camino!

Grant
I took 24 days last year from St. Jean to Finisterre last year, longest day 48 kms, shortest day 19 kms. Assuming very good physical preparation and avoidance of mishaps then I believe for me 22 days would be doable and that's a cigar smoking, diabetic talking. I know there is a widespread belief among many of the very experienced forum members that such an approach to the camino is counter productive but if you think along the lines that an important part of the camino experience is re-setting your internal psyche then by pushing your limits repeatedly day after day you can remove the mental buttresses that modern society has helped put in place to encourage buy in to the belief that all progress is, in and of itself, worthy and worthwhile.
In many so called less developed cultures there is an initiation rite of passage to manhood where one leaves the support network of the tribe/ village/ culture and go into the wilderness for a period of time, indeed one could read into the bible story of Jesus's 40 day sojourn in the desert an echo of such rites. One is more likely to approach such a state of spiritual cleansing/ opening by pushing one's limits than by walking 4 hours a day and stopping every hour for a pleasant cafe con leche and chat with fellow peregrinos.
I in no way am impugning other people's approach to the camino as it is such an individual experience for everyone and indeed my own approach, intentions and experiences on my own caminos have been noticeably different on each occasion.
In my own slightly rambling and not very elegantly phrased way I am saying it's your camino and experience and travel it in the way you wish, good luck and please update the forum in the future as to how you progressed.

Seamus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're planning on walking 17 marathons+ in 17 days. Nothing unique and a lot of athletes have been there and done that.
It doesn't float my boat, but if it would, I'd let that 17 marathons+ sink in and then start preparing. I know trail runners do the del Norte, but have no info on the distances per day that they do.

Grant
I took 24 days last year from St. Jean to Finisterre last year, longest day 48 kms, shortest day 19 kms. Assuming very good physical preparation and avoidance of mishaps then I believe for me 22 days would be doable and that's a cigar smoking, diabetic talking. I know there is a widespread belief among many of the very experienced forum members that such an approach to the camino is counter productive but if you think along the lines that an important part of the camino experience is re-setting your internal psyche then by pushing your limits repeatedly day after day you can remove the mental buttresses that modern society has helped put in place to encourage buy in to the belief that all progress is, in and of itself, worthy and worthwhile.
In many so called less developed cultures there is an initiation rite of passage to manhood where one leaves the support network of the tribe/ village/ culture and go into the wilderness for a period of time, indeed one could read into the bible story of Jesus's 40 day sojourn in the desert an echo of such rites. One is more likely to approach such a state of spiritual cleansing/ opening by pushing one's limits than by walking 4 hours a day and stopping every hour for a pleasant cafe con leche and chat with fellow peregrinos.
I in no way am impugning other people's approach to the camino as it is such an individual experience for everyone and indeed my own approach, intentions and experiences on my own caminos have been noticeably different on each occasion.
In my own slightly rambling and not very elegantly phrased way I am saying it's your camino and experience and travel it in the way you wish, good luck and please update the forum in the future as to how you progressed.

Seamus
There sure were some smelly arse peregrinos on the Camino that could have done with a physical cleansing every day. Definitely pushed my olfactory limits....ha ha :D

It is your Camino entirely. If you can do it and want it, do it. In 2009, I met a young Hungarian guy who walked 40-60kms/day. Barefoot. I kid you not. He started walking in Hungary... My own speed is 20-25 kms/day. But I am 60...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all, after my very first experience on El Camino in 2014, I'm wondering if it's realistic to do it in 17 days. I appreciate that much will be missed en route, but the challenge seems worth the price.
Since you did the first half this year, why not pick up where you left off?

I know there are many well prepared ultra-marathoners who could do this, so its really not about whether it is possible, or why you would do it, but what preparation and support you might need to make it possible. I have been part of a support team for a long multi-day walk (1000 km in 25 days) and the logistics of this requires some thought. I don't think it is as simple as just doing the long days - that leaves very little time to do all the other tasks that need doing. What thought have you given to how you will prepare for this, and what support arrangements you might put in place?

No doubt it will do that.
I suppose if one were to do it, one would have to travel uber-ultra-light to avoid injuries, strains, sprains, etc.
50K a day would be very hard on the body with a heavy pack.
You've hit the nail on the head; I'm training really hard....run every day etc. I've had plenty of experience with managing injuries. Thanks for comment...very useful

I know there are many well prepared ultra-marathoners who could do this, so its really not about whether it is possible, or why you would do it, but what preparation and support you might need to make it possible. I have been part of a support team for a long multi-day walk (1000 km in 25 days) and the logistics of this requires some thought. I don't think it is as simple as just doing the long days - that leaves very little time to do all the other tasks that need doing. What thought have you given to how you will prepare for this, and what support arrangements you might put in place?
Many thanks.....very useful. My priorities are body preparation, then equipment (weight based) and then mental prep. I know that the Camino will uplift me. I will miss not being in sync with other peregrinos.....but I get to enjoy that another time. I already train super hard...very lean with a good endurance base. Protecting my joints and tendons will be key.

€46,-
Grant

Seamus
Many thanks for an amazing reply. Congratulations on doing it in 22 days. Incredible. You also captured the rawness of why I want to do this......I feel more inspired now. I enjoyed my past camino, but it didn't challenge me physically and I feel I missed out emotionally and spiritually. I will definately hold a few days contingency for strains etc maybe 20 days more realistic!

Grant, with all possible respect, this is not an athletics competition. Of course you can "do it" in 17 days but you will have no time to reflect, or learn or think. You will be forced to concentrate on the problems caused by too much walking over too many days. You will also have no time to stop and absorb and learn from the culture and history and, not the least the people, around you. If these things are not important to you, I suggest you find another "challenge".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Grant, with all possible respect, this is not an athletics competition. Of course you can "do it" in 17 days but you will have no time to reflect, or learn or think. You will be forced to concentrate on the problems caused by too much walking over too many days. You will also have no time to stop and absorb and learn from the culture and history and, not the least the people, around you. If these things are not important to you, I suggest you find another "challenge".
With respect Kevin, I also plan to finish the Camino with my wife to do just that. I also live in rural Spain so I already get the culture and the history.

I am not commenting on whether it is possible or no, advisable or not, or even doable by you. My Camino is my Camino and yours is yours. But I would ask you to ask yourself what is the reason you are setting yourself this challenge. Not wishing to be rude, but is it competitiveness? Many find on their Caminos that that is just what they come to terms with so if that is the case here I wish you every success.
PS I would note that people have been quite kind in their replies so far (knowing Jirit has a light hearted sense of humour) and I hope any others follow their example.

I am not commenting on whether it is possible or no, advisable or not, or even doable by you. My Camino is my Camino and yours is yours. But I would ask you to ask yourself what is the reason you are setting yourself this challenge. Not wishing to be rude, but is it competitiveness? Many find on their Caminos that that is just what they come to terms with so if that is the case here I wish you every success.
PS I would note that people have been quite kind in their replies so far (knowing Jirit has a light hearted sense of humour) and I hope any others follow their example.
If this were to be my only Camino adventure then it would be done at much slower pace. Competitiveness? No.....a personal challenge in an environment that already has my heart.....then yes. Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was not asking you to explain yourself Grant, your reasons are yours and I hope I did not cause any offence. When I said competitiveness I could easily have said personal challenge (and nearly did) as I like many others have felt the same in our own ways. I wish you well in your endeavour. My comment about being kind? I am sorry to say that we have had some quite contentious comments on threads in the past from those who think their way is the only way. May you and your wife enjoy good weather for the rest of this Camino and reach SDC injury free. Buen Camino

@Grant Page walking that many hours a day you will be flat out finding time to eat. I can't see any clothes washing being done. Will that be a problem for others? Or will you be "Gone With the Wind"? In which case the correct response might be "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn..."

@Grant Page walking that many hours a day you will be flat out finding time to eat. I can't see any clothes washing being done. Will that be a problem for others? Or will you be "Gone With the Wind"? In which case the correct response might be "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn..."
Charming....plenty of time to eat and wash thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was not asking you to explain yourself Grant, your reasons are yours and I hope I did not cause any offence. When I said competitiveness I could easily have said personal challenge (and nearly did) as I like many others have felt the same in our own ways. I wish you well in your endeavour. My comment about being kind? I am sorry to say that we have had some quite contentious comments on threads in the past from those who think their way is the only way. May you and your wife enjoy good weather for the rest of this Camino and reach SDC injury free. Buen Camino
Thanks for your kind words.....I see your point. I hope that I get to experience the Camino in many different ways....I've yet to decide whether or not I will take this on.....I have enjoyed reading the many comments on my thread though. Buen Camino

Yes you think you can do 50 km per day - for 17 days. That's the equivalent of more than a marathon every single day. Me I know I cannot run one marathon - but I know my limits (and I am now over 60). A couple of other things to consider - what time of the year are you thinking about - July/August would definitely be out - as would Dec to Feb; how heavy will you pack be? Anything over 6 kg will be an issue.
Best of luck; buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Grant, check out post 14 on this thread. Migolito says he planned for 30 days and at his pace completed it in 14 days; no regrets. He was 50 years old at the time and I'm guessing he was in pretty good physical condition.

It can and has been done. The distance limitation often seems to be mainly a mental problem. I met a Canadian ex-military man in May of this year. He walked 40-60 km days without much problems. I think you have to walk in a period with less heat though... Not in the summer season.

Also in medieval times when people had to walk to travel. People in general would walk around 50-80 km a day when travelling. E.g. Amery Picaud only has 13 stages in the codex calixtinus from Saint jean to Santiago.

I'm curious why 17 days and not the classical 13 days? or some other number?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A woman has here in the UK, to raise money for a charity, just done 53 marathons in 53 days...
...so in no way impossible...
...just watch out for that d@mn Wile E Coyote!

I

I sense sarcasm

No just a warning that "the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray"...

Hence if you understand this then you will understand the camino

It can and has been done. The distance limitation often seems to be mainly a mental problem. I met a Canadian ex-military man in May of this year. He walked 40-60 km days without much problems. I think you have to walk in a period with less heat though... Not in the summer season.

Also in medieval times when people had to walk to travel. People in general would walk around 50-80 km a day when travelling. E.g. Amery Picaud only has 13 stages in the codex calixtinus from Saint jean to Santiago.

I'm curious why 17 days and not the classical 13 days? or some other number?
I sat down with specific pace in mind over the various terrain types and it worked out at 17 days; I also used a few logistical assumptions.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Scott: No offense intended.

Grant, there is a good point to what Scott says: You will have long days, and it might be a very good idea to plan your days and book ahead, so that you don't have to worry about a bed at the end of the days. That way, you can afford to take good reststops without being part of the bedrace.

Just my 0.02$...

I will enjoy my Camino....I have enjoyed it doing 20-30km a day staying in hostels. I'll also enjoy it doing 50km a day. I will also enjoy the time alone and sleeping in my bivi bag.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy. .....I've learnt that the hard way.
You might be surprised to discover that the "enemy" could be yourself

... that is the other lesson of the camino...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Scott: No offense intended.

Grant, there is a good point to what Scott says: You will have long days, and it might be a very good idea to plan your days and book ahead, so that you don't have to worry about a bed at the end of the days. That way, you can afford to take good reststops without being part of the bedrace.

Just my 0.02$...
I will say that from my experiences this summer on the Camino, pilgrims were getting up before 5am, many hours before sunrise, just to ensure a bed at the next location. I didn't see that as enjoyment.

I'm guessing that you'll do this when the days are longer and actually 10 hours of walking either side of a decent lunch break will be rather pleasant if it means you see sunrises and sunsets. As long as your feet stay in good condition and you're not burdened with a heavy pack, this should be very do-able. I hope you have a great Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Grant:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but a young woman ran the Camino a couple of years back in 9 days and six hours. So, to answer your question, it is doable in 17 days.

Ultreya,
Joe

I thought this thread started out with the overwhelming response being to encourage Grant, to suggest questions he may not have thought about, but generally to do what we on the forum usually do -- support pilgrims as they try to figure out their caminos. But wow, why all the snarkiness now? We get questions repeatedly about "What if I decide to have someone carry my pack?" "Should I skip the meseta?" "Am I cheating if I take a bus?" etc etc. Aside from the occasional outlier, the responses are supportive, encouraging pilgrims that "it's your camino." This is just another one of those questions, posted by someone who is considering something that falls outside the mainstream. I find it kind of surprising that people who would never cast judgment on someone who chooses to take a bus think it's ok to be judgmental about Grant's proposal.

The message I got from his posts was that here was someone who found that the camino on the 25 km a day plan was seeming like a walk in the park, a holiday, not an opportunity for introspection and spiritual challenge. And so he was contemplating ramping it up to see if testing his physical limits would somehow open up the emotional and spiritual side of things. I just don't get why that idea triggered all sorts of criticisms, to the point that he was sorry for ever posting it. That's a shame.

Grant isn't proposing to walk backwards, to do his camino on a pogo stick, or a skateboard or roller skates, or any other attention-grabbing stunt. Nor is he saying that this is all about the physical prowess. He asked what I thought was an innocent question about an unusual idea. I think he deserved better.

I thought this thread started out with the overwhelming response being to encourage Grant, to suggest questions he may not have thought about, but generally to do what we on the forum usually do -- support pilgrims as they try to figure out their caminos. But wow, why all the snarkiness now? We get questions repeatedly about "What if I decide to have someone carry my pack?" "Should I skip the meseta?" "Am I cheating if I take a bus?" etc etc. Aside from the occasional outlier, the responses are supportive, encouraging pilgrims that "it's your camino." This is just another one of those questions, posted by someone who is considering something that falls outside the mainstream. I find it kind of surprising that people who would never cast judgment on someone who chooses to take a bus think it's ok to be judgmental about Grant's proposal.

The message I got from his posts was that here was someone who found that the camino on the 25 km a day plan was seeming like a walk in the park, a holiday, not an opportunity for introspection and spiritual challenge. And so he was contemplating ramping it up to see if testing his physical limits would somehow open up the emotional and spiritual side of things. I just don't get why that idea triggered all sorts of criticisms, to the point that he was sorry for ever posting it. That's a shame.

Grant isn't proposing to walk backwards, to do his camino on a pogo stick, or a skateboard or roller skates, or any other attention-grabbing stunt. Nor is he saying that this is all about the physical prowess. He asked what I thought was an innocent question about an unusual idea. I think he deserved better.
These are fair comments and I for one, apologize to Grant for ribbing him about his plans.

Grant did ask the question about his plans being realistic - some obviously agree, others myself included, do not.

Whatever the outcome it will be his camino - enough said.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Your words humbled me; God bless you.

Grant:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but a young woman ran the Camino a couple of years back in 9 days and six hours. So, to answer your question, it is doable in 17 days.

Ultreya,
Joe
That sounds amazing and I'm sure she has had a life event that is forever special.

I can vividly envision Grant strolling along after passing the day's 46 km. mark, singing a song and enjoying life, while this 60+ grandfather will be happy to have found a bed after 22 kms. (my avg. day) ;)

If one is fit for it, why not do it? Nothing wrong with that. As long as one listens to one's body (feet!); Ultreya! Each must do his/her own Camino. And as I understand it, Grant has also done "ordinary" Camino(s). So nothing wrong in testing one's capabilities. As long as it goes well. I have to share a story:

In Castrojeritz this April, the hospitalero told me about a young woman who came in 2 days earlier than me, having done 40 kms that day, and her feet were a complete disaster area, so much that they immediately proposed to drive her to Burgos hospital. But no, she only wanted a bed for the night, because she had planned for a 45 km. leg the next day...:rolleyes: And on she went: I do not know if she got to Santiago.

I am sure that Grant has estimated his physical abilities and is confident he can do it. The rest of us do what we can/want.

Buen Camino, Grant!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can vividly envision Grant strolling along after passing the day's 46 km. mark, singing a song and enjoying life, while this 60+ grandfather will be happy to have found a bed after 22 kms. (my avg. day) ;)

If one is fit for it, why not do it? Nothing wrong with that. As long as one listens to one's body (feet!); Ultreya! Each must do his/her own Camino. And as I understand it, Grant has also done "ordinary" Camino(s). So nothing wrong in testing one's capabilities. As long as it goes well. I have to share a story:

In Castrojeritz this April, the hospitalero told me about a young woman who came in 2 days earlier than me, having done 40 kms that day, and her feet were a complete disaster area, so much that they immediately proposed to drive her to Burgos hospital. But no, she only wanted a bed for the night, because she had planned for a 45 km. leg the next day...:rolleyes: And on she went: I do not know if she got to Santiago.

I am sure that Grant has estimated his physical abilities and is confident he can do it. The rest of us do what we can/want.

Buen Camino, Grant!
Many thanks for the post; very enjoyable. I would put myself in the very fit category, but age will soon affect that. I'm very used to endurance based activity and have had over 25 years service in the Military. I know it will be all on my side.

For all my Caminos (4 times) I have used my Norw. army boots, anklee high, 40 years old. People have laughed at my boots, especially when seeing me on the doorsteps of albergues, polishing them in the afternoon, but I always made it. Some of those laughing I never saw in Santiago...:D
Have no doubt that my boots will stay at home.......Salomon GTX trail shoes for me!

The planning for my future camino has been for me to do it in a leisurely, sybaritic and hedonistic style.
HOWEVER
I much admire Grant's approach for
1) His daring
2)The extent to which he has been a gadfly - almost an iconoclast - in provoking so many responses of such variety from so many people on this site; it has been vastly amusing!
BUT
3) If he crashes and burns then no doubt.........the naysayers comments will flow
4) But if he succeeds and has enjoyed the experience, then, I personally will salute him.

Buen camino, Grant, and go for it!

The planning for my future camino has been for me to do it in a leisurely, sybaritic and hedonistic style.
HOWEVER
1) His daring
2)The extent to which he has been a gadfly - almost an iconoclast - in provoking so many responses of such variety from so many people on this site; it has been vastly amusing!
BUT
3) If he crashes and burns then no doubt.........the naysayers comments will flow
4) But if he succeeds and has enjoyed the experience, then, I personally will salute him.

I didn't think my first thread on this forum would generate any interest. I will think twice about posting again. Thanks for your comments.....I always like to prove the doubters wrong!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey, no matter how long you take to do it, how far you go, how many miles a day you walk or how fast you walk them, all it really is, is a walk. A walk through rural Spain. It's not very dangerous. You won't starve or die of thirst. You have to work really, really hard at suffering while doing it (and why would one want to suffer while walking through such a beautiful place?....pass the vino tinto, please ;)).
The main thing is to stay healthy and enjoy your walk, no matter how fast or how slow you go.

HOWEVER
1) His daring
BUT

Yeah, now that's a cool approach to the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been watching this thread for 2 days, and gave my 2 cents worth earlier, but I just realized this is Grant's first post to this forum. Since no one else has yet, I'd like to say "WELCOME TO THE FORUM, GRANT!!" As you can already tell, there are people from all over the world here, each with their own opinion!! Good luck with your Camino, Grant! :)

As Felipe comments, I recommend having a read of Randall’s book. I did Leon to Santiago in 8 days, didn’t leave Lean until late afternoon having spent the morning being a tourist, visited most of the Churches along the route, managed a museum, the palace and the Cathedral in Astorga , did the tour at Samos, stopped at an awful lot of cafes and also ate a three course lunch washed down with most of a bottle of wine most days– I am not particularly fit, walk at a snail’s pace, carried a pack with basic camping gear and I’m not 25. My feet ached badly at the end of the day but otherwise I was fine.

I would say 17 days is very ambitious, you’ll need a bit of luck and for your body to hold out. Long daylight hours will help. If you can camp it will make it a lot easier - you just walk until you want to sleep. Albergues and hotels mean following a normal pilgrim timetable to a large extent. I would also say go with the flow, setting rigid 50km days sounds like a disaster to me, 65km one day if you feel good and have beautiful weather, next day maybe only 35km if the body is feeling not so good/weather bad. I think terrain matters less than how you feel.

I don’t entirely buy the argument that you need to take your time on the camino to reflect, physical pain, long days and solitude give me more than enough to reflect – far more than a gentle four hour stroll, followed by laundry, followed by a nap, followed by a big social meal and an early night. Not saying either is right or wrong, horses for courses and all that.

The real question is can your body take it? You won’t know that unless you try. If you do try for 17 days then be rational if things start to go wrong, you can always come back. Have a plan B i.e. 17 days to Santiago and a plan C. Don’t get so locked into your goal you risk permanent injury. (If you run marathons you probably know a few people who do not know when to stop). What do you have to lose by trying?

I am sure a fair number of medieval pilgrims tried to get there as quickly as possible - the sheer number of pilgrim cemeteries along the way would certainly have inspired me to keep going as fast as possible.

Hi Grant, just my own personal opinion here but I think your idea of a 17 day Camino is pretty darn cool!
Even if this was going to be your first Camino and you wanted to do it as fast as possible, so what? It's your trip and your life, do whatever you please!
Personally, I can totally relate to wanting to try new/weird/challenging/obscure things just "because". I've always admired people who get ideas in their heads that most would consider crazy and then just go out and get it done. I'm not really old now, but when I was younger I would try crazy feats of physical strength and endurance all the time, for no better reason than I had my youth and the desire to try as much as I could while I could.

Anyway's whatever you end up doing, have fun and good luck!

Matt

€83,-
I thought this thread started out with the overwhelming response being to encourage Grant, to suggest questions he may not have thought about, but generally to do what we on the forum usually do -- support pilgrims as they try to figure out their caminos. But wow, why all the snarkiness now? ..... He asked what I thought was an innocent question about an unusual idea. I think he deserved better.
Looks like a certain lady from Illinois succeeded where I failed. Well done girl! :)

Grant, on a side note. I'd be very interested to hear about preparations, gear, planning/schedule, execution and results/experiences. Please keep us posted, whether here or on another platform.

Grant, on a side note. I'd be very interested to hear about preparations, gear, planning/schedule, execution and results/experiences. Please keep us posted, whether here or on another platform.[/Q
I've yet to set a date as I intend to finish the way with my wife first.....so in some way that will be preparation too. I've always been fit and used to walking/running and carrying stuff over long distances after 25years serving my country. I run about 100km a week and swim about 10km. I also like to do circuit training to keep the joints strong. As for kit....I use the Osprey Talon 44 backpack with drinks bladder. I plan to use trail shoes...lightweight but plenty of support. Roll mat & bivy bag will be part of my sleeping solution. I don't want to be tied to albergues. Clothing and slerping bag will depend on when do it but May is looking best. Weight will be very important as will walking poles. They keep me quick without undue strain on the legs. I hope this helps.....! As for toiletries and suncream etc.....all en route.

To be honest, there are plenty of other trails in Europe, and elsewhere in the world, more worthy, more demanding, more challenging, than the camino Frances route.

Compared to these other trails, the camino Frances will be a "walk in the park".

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

WOW!!!!!! Superman. Wish I had legs that good to do it in half the time.

Why don't you just take your time and 'smell the roses' as they say. There is a lot to of people to meet, a lot to see and experience along the way, what's the rush.

You will need approximately 33 days + 3 days for Santiago to Finesterre.

If I see a flash go by I know it will be you.

Good luck

ossiemate

WOW!!!!!! Superman. Wish I had legs that good to do it in half the time.

Why don't you just take your time and 'smell the roses' as they say. There is a lot to of people to meet, a lot to see and experience along the way, what's the rush.

You will need approximately 33 days + 3 days for Santiago to Finesterre.

If I see a flash go by I know it will be you.

Good luck

ossiemate
I'm doing it as per the book first...albeit in stages due to work commitments.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The strange thing is that after my first time I went in the opposite direction and tried to walk slower and less distance in a day. Didn't quite work out that way though as the child within sometimes let the legs take over and do their thing (even running down some hills). Also finding oneself with enjoyable company that want to go a little further also stuffs that plan well and truly. Oh well, go with the flow. Of course I no longer have (if ever I did) a finely tuned athletic structure to carry me along. :( But good luck to those that have and want to rejoice in their gift. Buen Camino one and all, have fair weather, good food, good company and take what you can from your Camino.

You'd need to think about the logistics because you won't hit the 5okm mark bang on every day. I think it's very doable. I tend to walk long days. I don't understand the naysayers saying you won't have time to think. I get all my best thinking time done while walking. Rather that than in a Spanish bar with the locals having a shouting competition or in a crowded albergue with all its inherent distractions.

I'm doing it as per the book first...albeit in stages due to work commitments.

Hi Grant.

All the best in your endeavours and have a great time mate. Let us all know how you go and how long it took to complete the walk.

Buen Camino

ossiemate

€46,-
I know very stupid of me
Not stupid at all, Grant. You musn't think this. I certainly hope I didn't contribute to this feeling. I only suggested continuing from where you left off as that gives you a total of 29 days - with time in Santiago and maybe to the sea if it is your desire. Not pushing that idea, merely a suggestion. It is your camino and I wish you and your wife pleasant journeys and many blessings. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I nominate this for post of the year!

Ok so there seems to be a lot of people with very strong opinons. (Edited)

I walked the Camino in 20 days last year. I was not in a hurry, i just realised after a while that i enjoyed walking longer than most people. I packed light (3kg...everything I needed) and wore light shoes so it wasnt hard at all, i even had quite a few days i walked short distances because I wanted to.

Edited

I enjoy walking and I have strong legs. I can walk 50km in 9 hours which leaves me 3 hours of lunch stops through the day, plenty for me thanks. I also get to meet new people every evening and spend a lot of time alone with my thoughts, which is why I chose to do the camino in the first place.

I am currently walking the camino and doing 50km a day on average. Some days i will do 60km, some days 40km. I am enjoying myself and have plenty of time to eat, wash, read my book, meet people . (Edited)

If people really think that walking 50km a day on the camino leaves you no room for growth or thought (or spirtualism or anything such) then they should try it, i guarantee that its hard not to have an experience if you're walking alone for 9/10 hours a day in the mountains!

€60,-
Thanks for the reply. It was reassuring to hear that I'm not mad. (Edited by moderator for personal remarks about other posters). Anyway it seems my Camino window will open next June....so can't wait! Not setting a target but hope to clock 50km+ as much as possible. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back