• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP Questions

MadameBoffin

Hi,

I'm planning my first camino (May-Jun this year) and I have a couple of questions. I've taken a look around the forum so hopefully I'm not repeating something that's already been mentioned!

1. What are the opening times for the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean-Pied-de-Port? My train arrives in SJPP at 4.20pm and I'm wondering if the office will still be open so I can make a start the following morning

2. Once I get the pilgrim's passport, can I stay at the albergue at SJPP for the night?

3. How steep is the first day's climb from SJPP to Roncesvalles? Can it be done in one day by a relatively fit, young person? I'm 25, in pretty good shape but I won't be in any major training before I start my camino. I know the first day is the hardest, so I'm wondering if I should attempt SJPP to Roncesvalles in the first day or instead stop at Hunto or Orsilles (?) on the way up.

All advice/answers will be sincerely welcomed!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
the pilgrims office will still be open (i arrived at 7.30 on the last train and it was still fine) and you'll be able to stay in the albergue

if you're worried about the first-day climb or the weather is poor then take the road route - i'm twice your age and managed it easily (the climb is pretty gradual) - the albergue at Roncesvalles doesn't open until 4pm so there's no need to rush

Madame Boffin

I am 65 and I stopped in Orisson because of jet lag (I am from Canada) and fatigue. The next day I felt much better, I left at 8.30 and reached Roncesvalles in early afternoon despite clouds and a bit of rain.

Credentials can be obtained at the pilgrim's office; it is open after 16.30; you do not require a credential in France but you need it in Espana. Failing to get it that afternoon you can get it the next morning. Take your time !

You are 25; you can do WATHEVER you like. Go slow, enjoy the landscape, stop and listen to the flight of the vultures, breathe clean air. Go by the route Napoleon and ENJOY.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have no comment on your post except to hear alarm bells ringing where you say you wont be doing any major training beforehand. I'm from Melbourne so before I walked the VDLP I would walk to and from work (about 16kms) and most weekends a bush walk.This held me in good stead once in Spain as some stretches are long. I also came across a few people who did not do training and dropped out because of blisters, cartilege problems etc.Coming from australia, given the high airfares,I recommend as much preparation as possible to avoid dissappointment.
Kevin

Thank you for your responses!

Spursfan: Excellent, that's a load off my mind. Is there a difference between the road route and the Napolean route?

Ulysee: This is great news! I'm in no hurry - I think the "no rush" idea is a good one :)

Omar504: I think this is good advice but the problem is I'll be in Spain and France for 6 weeks before I start my camino so specific training for the camino won't really be possible. I am fit, though, I've done long walks before (although, obviously, not as long as this one!) and I've hiked with backpacks up low moutain ranges without difficulty so I'm hoping this will see me through, particularly if I don't rush. Like Ulysee and Spursfan say - there are people twice my age completing the climb without difficult... hopefully I'll be able to say the same! :)

simple difference between the road route and Napoleon - the first one involves 900m of ascent to Roncesvalles, the second 1300m - no need to commit to one or the other until you get to SJPP

never a bad idea to plan half a dozen 4-hour walks carrying wieght that you plan to carry before you go

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back