• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Pamplona

Nana6

Time of past OR future Camino
France ( 2020)
Is this the toughest walking terrain on the CF? Or, there other places as difficult?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pretty much that is the hardest physical challenge, although personally I find the descents more treacherous. Specifically, the day after Roncevalles going down to Zubiri, especially the sections walking on the slick, wet granite and where someone thought it was a good idea to pore concrete portions of the path, leading to slick, wet concrete with even slicker mud on top of it. Also the descent from the Alta de Pardon (after Pamplona) (lots of small rocks to roll under your feet). I've seen and heard of more turned ankles and broken arms (from catching falls) on those two descents. They are not as physically hard as going up the Napoleon Route (and I've always taken the road down to avoid the descent through the forest, another prime site for injuries), but I think they deserve respect (and a very slow, careful pace).

The three worst walking terrains, IMHO:
Descent from Cruz de Ferro into Molinaseca,
Descent from Alto de Perdon after Pamplona,
Descent to Zubiri.

I've always walked down from the Napolean route on the road, so nothing of the terrain on that route was awful.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pretty much that is the hardest physical challenge, although personally I find the descents more treacherous. Specifically, the day after Roncevalles going down to Zubiri, especially the sections walking on the slick, wet granite and where someone thought it was a good idea to pore concrete portions of the path, leading to slick, wet concrete with even slicker mud on top of it. Also the descent from the Alta de Pardon (after Pamplona) (lots of small rocks to roll under your feet). I've seen and heard of more turned ankles and broken arms (from catching falls) on those two descents. They are not as physically hard as going up the Napoleon Route (and I've always taken the road down to avoid the descent through the forest, another prime site for injuries), but I think they deserve respect (and a very slow, careful pace).
Thanks.
What shoes do you wear?

The three worst walking terrains, IMHO:
Descent from Cruz de Ferro into Molinaseca,
Descent from Alto de Perdon after Pamplona,
Descent to Zubiri.

I've always walked down from the Napolean route on the road, so nothing of the terrain on that route was awful.
Thank you .
I am trying to decide where to start. I wanted to walk the Pyrenees but don't have to do it
I have never walked long hikes. Thought about starting at Sarria but miss so much scenery and history

There are many trails through the Pyrenees. You could walk the Aragonese camino from Somport. You could start somewhere in France and walk to St Jean Pied de Port or to Somport.

Bigger question, do you need to arrive in Santiago on this first camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are many trails through the Pyrenees. You could walk the Aragonese camino from Somport. You could start somewhere in France and walk to St Jean Pied de Port or to Somport.

Bigger question, do you need to arrive in Santiago on this first camino?
Yes that is my goal

I would also add, especially if it is raining the final descent into Roncevalles. It is about 5k if I remember. There is an alternative path that you can take it is to the right of the main Camino. Check any guide and it will tell you. Remember to zig zag as you walk down. It really helps alot. If you don't like alot of steep up/downhills don't walk the Norte or Primitivo!!!!

I would also add, especially if it is raining the final descent into Roncevalles. It is about 5k if I remember. There is an alternative path that you can take it is to the right of the main Camino. Check any guide and it will tell you. Remember to zig zag as you walk down. It really helps alot. If you don't like alot of steep up/downhills don't walk the Norte or Primitivo!!!!
Thanks for the information.
I just am not sure if I am in good enough shape for them yet I live where it is flat or rolling terrain Plus, still working on training to walk far

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I just am not sure if I am in good enough shape for them yet I live where it is flat or rolling terrain Plus, still working on training to walk far
I haven't done the Primitivo yet. But have many friends that have. I walked the Norte last year at 64 and I met lots of Pilgrims my age and older. Surprisingly alot of French people. I met a French couple that alot that were 78 and 80 (if memory serves me). If we can do it, you can do it. I live on the Mexican coast. It was impossible to train outside because of the heat. I trained on stair masters and even though it was a really tough Camino, it was soooo worth the effort. Unless you have a physical ailment that would make a camino dangerous, don't say you can't do anything. It is your mind messing with you. Remember it is one step at a time.

I haven't done the Primitivo yet. But have many friends that have. I walked the Norte last year at 64 and I met lots of Pilgrims my age and older. Surprisingly alot of French people. I met a French couple that alot that were 78 and 80 (if memory serves me). If we can do it, you can do it. I live on the Mexican coast. It was impossible to train outside because of the heat. I trained on stair masters and even though it was a really tough Camino, it was soooo worth the effort. Unless you have a physical ailment that would make a camino dangerous, don't say you can't do anything. It is your mind messing with you. Remember it is one step at a time.
Thank you so much for the support.
I am overweight and have high BP but have been walking for 3 months and have lost 30 pounds.
I live in Texas. Hot here too. I am doing strength training and will add water aerobics next month when pool opens
I can only walk 5 miles a day right now. Very frustrating as hard as I am working on it.
But I have time I was going to walk the Camino this March but had family issues .
Decided to do it this fall but my daughter wants to come with me so now looking at next June
I may still do the Fall and come back next year As soon as I can do 10 miles in a day, I am ready to tackle anything

Thank you so much for the support.
I am overweight and have high BP but have been walking for 3 months and have lost 30 pounds.
I live in Texas. Hot here too. I am doing strength training and will add water aerobics next month when pool opens
I can only walk 5 miles a day right now. Very frustrating as hard as I am working on it.
But I have time I was going to walk the Camino this March but had family issues .
Decided to do it this fall but my daughter wants to come with me so now looking at next June
I may still do the Fall and come back next year As soon as I can do 10 miles in a day, I am ready to tackle anything
A big blessing in disguise! Getting to walk the Camino with one of my daughters is a dream that I hope one day comes true. I have seen many parents walk with their kids and let me tell you how happy the parents are. Maybe because I am a dad it seems like the father/daughter combination is magical. At least for papa anyway. Every time I have talked to one of these days their smiles light up everything! You can do it!!! The best to you and Buen Camino.
Oh yea, I lived in Texas for a while too. I went to UT/Austin for grad school and my daughter got her BA there. When she was walking down the aisle at the Erwin Center I was crying like a baby. Her mom said to me it was so obvious which parents were UT grads too because they all looked like me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A big blessing in disguise! Getting to walk the Camino with one of my daughters is a dream that I hope one day comes true. I have seen many parents walk with their kids and let me tell you how happy the parents are. Maybe because I am a dad it seems like the father/daughter combination is magical. At least for papa anyway. Every time I have talked to one of these days their smiles light up everything! You can do it!!! The best to you and Buen Camino.
Oh yea, I lived in Texas for a while too. I went to UT/Austin for grad school and my daughter got her BA there. When she was walking down the aisle at the Erwin Center I was crying like a baby. Her mom said to me it was so obvious which parents were UT grads too because they all looked like me!
Me, too. My daughter and son in law both graduated from UT Austin
Small world. Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back