• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Roncesvalles in March, Orisson is still closed, other mid point rest stop?

Geralbc

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Camino Frances april/may 2014; Finisterre/Muxia may 2014
I'm starting my camino late march, ans was looking forward to stoping at Orisson, but i was just informed that it wont open until march 31.

I want to be in Leon for holy Thursday, so I cant start that late... (And i dont want to take buses along the way)

Its been a while since i've done any uphill hiking, so I'm concerned about not being able to have a mid way stop over! Are there any other alternatives to Orisson?

I guess i need to beef up my training over the next two months!

Thank you for your comments/recommendations!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is the reply I received from Orrison yesterday:

Vous avez le gite Huntto à 3km avant le Refuge mais faites attention à la météo et à l’enneigement sur le chemin en cette période.

For a rough translation if your French is not good (that is, like me), you can use an App like Translate, which provides text to voice and voice to text translations.

Please note the warning concerning weather.

Thank you! I rudimentary french allows me to understand the message! Good to know! I hope snow wont be much if a problem late march!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless your heart is set on the Route de Napoleon and the high level crossing of the Pyrenees consider following the Valcarlos. The route is well-marked, safer in poor weather and the Albergue at Valcarlos is comfortable and well-equipped.

Buen camino

Thanks! Will keep that in mind! The weather will also have a say in my decision! Take care!

I'm starting my camino late march, ans was looking forward to stoping at Orisson, but i was just informed that it wont open until march 31.

I want to be in Leon for holy Thursday, so I cant start that late... (And i dont want to take buses along the way)

Its been a while since i've done any uphill hiking, so I'm concerned about not being able to have a mid way stop over! Are there any other alternatives to Orisson?

I guess i need to beef up my training over the next two months!

Thank you for your comments/recommendations!

In Hunto, 5 km from SJPP is a very good Hostel. I stayed there my 1st night on my camino - but this was in 2005. So you'll have to check.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In Hunto, 5 km from SJPP is a very good Hostel. I stayed there my 1st night on my camino - but this was in 2005. So you'll have to check.

I have also heard that Hunto is wonderful.. and a good place to stop on the first night after SJPdP.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind! The weather will also have a say in my decision! Take care!

Be very, very careful in late March.
There is no point in going over the top UNLESS you can see, none whatsoever.
Valcarlos is a lovely way if you have to start in France.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If by late in March you mean from 22 to 27 you will encounter rain and temperatures between 3 and 12 at the lower elevations.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have also heard that Hunto is wonderful.. and a good place to stop on the first night after SJPdP.

According to their web page the Ferme Ithurburia Gite Etape at Huntto opens for the 2014 season starting today March 22.

Bon Chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back