• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Roncesvalles or Burgete?

almhath

I am reading threads and enjoying. I can't go yet, but I'm beginning to bet I'm one of the best prepared unexperienced, absolute newbies around. I've even been learning why, for the last 20 years, my feet hurt at the end of each day (Keds, no support...), and what to do about it: I'm taking store-bought gel inserts and making modifications to them to provide just the right amount of arch and plantar support. :)

BUT...

On the topic of SJPP to Roncesvalles, I know about stopping in Orisson on the Naqpoleon Route. I know about the Valcarlos route (bit shorter, not as high, better for bad weather)----it appears Daniel was killed in the movie "The Way" getting lost off the Napoleon route in bad weather.

BUT... (Again :) )

I do read now and then experienced trekkers talking to us new folks about doing this or that and then setting out on the first leg of the Camino, being the SJPP-Roncesvalles leg, and I'm prompted again to ask the question: Really?

Because, while I'm not an experienced trekker, I'm thinking it's not just the distance—24k?—but it's also the grades: first up to over 1400 then down the other side, both of which are harder to make than just plodding on the flats.

I'm in fair shape. Not the best by any means, but not the worst, either. But I've been thinking that the Camino, itself, will show my body what shape it needs to be in. Muscles will be used on the Way that aren't normally used, even in a workout: carrying a pack, the way the body leans, muscles used to lift the foot many more times, to use Pacer poles, just bending over to take shoes off and air feet out...and other issues may relate from hydration to nutrition, to a change in psychological stressors from those of daily life here to the different ones of daily trekking there.....

And with all that, I've been thinking I'd force myself to slow down, settle into that pace, by choosing to take the Napoleon route (if possible), and to stop in Orisson for that first night. It's all up hill, and I can guarantee I'll be tired. Then get down to Burgete the next day.

Even if I'm willing to go on, that first day, I may force myself—tie myself to a post—to stay in Orisson, get the marvelous views, and let my body adjust to aches it doesn't even know it has yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is not so much that SJPdP to Roncesvalles cannot be done. It is the payback the following week. The energy you have the first day can sustain you beyond what is advisable. Pilgrims rush and ignore blisters. They do not hydrate properly. Their packs are too heavy. Footwear does not provide support. Each one of these can usually be endured through sheer grit. But for the following week, blisters will fester, sore muscles will turn into repetitive stress injuries, back muscles will ache from the pack, blood chemistry will deteriorate, dehydration will set in, etc.

If you pace yourself, then you will know you have time to tend to your feet, take breaks, drink water (and refill water bottles), eat properly, breathe, take in the view, add or remove layers of clothes, and generally have a good time. After a week you will be ready to extend your limits and do more, but only if you have not broken yourself, your spirit, and your enthusiasm. You will need to endure discomfort, but do not endure misery. This whole thing is supposed to be fun and uplifting. Leave the hairshirt at home, take it easy.

That is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Hi

I agree with Falcon. There's no point pushing yourself too far too early. There's plenty of opportunity along the way to 'stretch your legs' as I describe it.

Even after training, unless you have 2-12 snoring room mates at home to keep you awake, and have adopted an unusual eating pattern, your body will still have to adjust. And it will adjust given time.

I found the first few days are about meeting people, getting over your journey from home, learning the ropes, and gaining confidence for the weeks ahead. That's just me, though! :?

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've made a reservation so that I cannot convince myself to go past Orisson :p

Its a very easy, flat 2.7km through the forest from Roncesvalles to Burguete. If you decide to stay there you can easily get a taxi back for the evening Pilgrims' Mass.
There is no albergue in Burguete but there are very nice pensiones and hostales,

See how you feel once you get to Roncesvalles, if you want to continue, then its not far as you say to Burgete. If you do stay there book yourself a meal straight away in one of the two bars, they have to be pre booked and tend to fill up quickly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last September we stayed in Burgete. We arrived in Roncesvalles with our 8 hour jet lag direct from Costa Rica. Plane to Pamplona. Bus to Roncesvalles. We got our credentials, went to Pilgrim's Mass at 8 p.m. and then walked down the gentle slope through the forest in the twilight to Burgete, where we had previously called and made a reservation at the Casa Rural Piedra Arena (euros 35 for a double with bathroom and breakfast). I have stayed in Roncesvalles twice before, but this choice of staying in Burgete was well worth the effort. It allowed us a good nice sleep to recuperate from a very long journey and we were up and on the road by 8 o'clock the next morning. (the evening walk through the forest was beautiful). Anne

If you book a bed in a Pension they often offer dinner for about €10 so its worth asking.

How lovely, all of you.

And I'm thinking: You'd have to be familiar with the whole thing to bus into Roncesvalles, Mass, then trek in twilight to Burgete.

Me? I'd probably bus in to R, then get lost in the woods in twilight wondering if they have warewolves in spain. :)

But also, knowing me, the warewolves would lose out in the exchange! Ha.

Almha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BlackDog said:
Hi David,
I will stay at L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPDP on March 30 and stop at Orisson the next day also. Have you booked into an albergue yet? It seems that the Refuge Orisson costs more than the average one. Please let me know if you have found accommodation that you would recommend. Thanks.
Hieu

There is no other accommodation at Orisson - which isn't a place, its a cabin on the side of the mountain road 8km from St Jean and there's nowhere to stay thereafter for 20km.
You could stay at Hunto which is 5km up the road from St Jean.
Orisson charges for dinner as well as for a bunkbed or tent, so that is why it seems more expensive. They only have 18 beds and 6 X 2 person tents (€23 per person sharing).

almhath said:
...stop in Orisson for that first night... Then get down to Burguete the next day.
That is exactly what I did in 2008.
Been in Roncesvalles two times before, and I really disliked the waiting until 4 o'clock for the office to open and the rush to the showers, the crowdiness of the dormitory...
And as an extra: the next morning I had breakfast in peace and comfort. When the hurds from Roncesvalles came rushing into Burguete for their breakfast, I took off for Larasoaina.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hieudovan said:
BlackDog said:
Hi David,
I will stay at L'Esprit du Chemin in SJPDP on March 30 and stop at Orisson the next day also. Have you booked into an albergue yet? It seems that the Refuge Orisson costs more than the average one. Please let me know if you have found accommodation that you would recommend. Thanks.
Hieu
Yes, I booked into Refuge Orisson. Cost is 32 Euros half board in a dormitory. Not yet booked in SJPdP though, I thought I would do that on spec.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back