• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Roncesvalles

davidcfrank

Hi

I'm starting out from SJPP on the 9th Sep. My train arrives at 9:30 am, and the plan was to take a liesurely stroll to the refuge at Orisson. BUT.. its full - I can't book a place there!

I don't really want to walk all the way to Roscesvalles in one day, especially as I am not starting as early as I'd like to, but do want to walk the Route Napoleon - is it feasible to take a bus or taxi part way??

DAvid

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are several alternatives as you get in SJpdeP at 9:30:

1. spend the day in SJPdeP, it's a nice place to visit; then leave early to Roncevaux;
2. check the refuge/B&B in Hunto; it's before Orisson but at least you could have a little part of the road done; you could also leave early the next morning;
3. you sure could get a taxi to Orisson or even to the point where the trail leaves the asphalt road; I am not aware of a bus service as all you meet after Hunto is sheep keepers, sheeps, vultures... and a breathtaking landscape.

Buen camino

Thanks Ulysse

Thanks for those suggestions - they all seem do-able, and I don't have to decide which one until I arrive at St Jean.

#3 seems the favourite - after a couple of months planning this trip I am keen to get on to the Camino. Also, a rest day would be more welcome later on in the trip.

Presumably I can collect a credential on arrival at Roncesvalles.

David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
David, you should pick up your credential in StJPdeP as you have time to spare.

L’Association des Amis du Chemin de Saint-Jacques / Pyrénées-Atlantiques l’Accueil Saint-Jacques, 39 Rue de la Citadelle à Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port can give you this document.

Starting in SJPD

David,

My plan is to get to SJPD in the morning buy my walking stick and register at teh Camino office. If the weather is good I will get a taxi up the Route de Napoleon to where the road ends and walk into Ronceveles about 6 miles and then another 3kms to Burguete.

I walked the whole 26KM Route de Napoleon in 1999 and paid a price on my body for the next three days. It was hard to recover.

I will be behind you this year. I am leaving SJPD on October 5th.

Bon Camino,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Juan and Ulysse, that seems a good idea.

Breakfast in SJPP, then getting my credencial, then a taxi up the hill, leaving myself about 6 hours walking to Roncesvalles, which should be just about enough for the first day.

I have guilt pangs about starting my camino this way. When one imagines a pilgrim, we think of a stick, a shell, maybe a donkey and a floppy hat. But a taxi? It is sensible, but it just doesn't feel right!!

David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David, I think it is the intent that matters the most. If you can't walk that part of the route (either because of time or physical limitations), so be it. No need to feel guilty! You know what walking the Camino means to you. Even if you do take a taxi the first few kilometers, you will still be walking a lot further distance than those who start their Camino later along the Route.

Buen Camino!

dg

I stayed at the gite in Orisson this past summer and had reservations for the night. Soon after we got there, a woman who thought she had reservations arrived, but there was some kind of mix-up. The owners just took her out back to where there are several (6 or 8, but I'm really not sure on the number) small tents with sleeping pads for two inside each one. They don't reserve these, but make them available to people who arrive without a reservation. We heard at breakfast that they were very comfortable.

I also heard about someone who walked up to Orisson and walked back down to St. Jean the same day (that would be perfectly do-able, I think), spent another night in St. Jean, and then took a taxi up to Orisson on the next day to finish the crossing to Roncesvalles. It's such a beautiful walk, I would hate to miss it.

Roncesvalles

Hello - me again.

I would like to go straight to Roncevalles from SJPP, without waiting for the Pilgim's office to open at 11:00 (my train arrives at 9:40.

Would it me ok to turn up at Roncesvalles, obtain a credencial and get a bed in the refugio?. If so are there restrictions on the times one can do this??

Once again, many thanks to posters on this board for all your advice.

David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back