• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Roncesvalles

Kathy Beno

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
I walked 3 days of the Camino with my daughter last spring as a trial run. We took the Valcarlos route, as was advised, and made it to Roncesvalles the first day. I'll be starting again in late September and want to try the Napoleon route. Is it much harder? Can I make it to Roncesvalles in one day? Or is that unrealistic? Thanks for any input you can give me!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Napoleon Route in later September 2013. I decided to pre-book a bed at Orisson and was very glad I did. Despite my training regime in Canada, nothing prepared me for the Pyranees. By the time I arrived in Orisson I needed to stop. Many people continue on and make it to Roncesvalles the same day...... But I am ever so glad I stopped over.
All the best and Buen Camino.

Hi, Kathy, many people walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day. Other will swear that stopping the first night in Orisson is the way to go. There are many threads here which discuss this section of the Francés. Here is one: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-orisson-how-long.28638/. Even though its title is SJPP to Orisson, it also discusses going from SJPP straight through to Roncesvalles. No doubt others will chime in here too. The section from SJPP to Roncesvalles is probably one of the most discussed section of the Francés - that, and the meseta! Been Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked 3 days of the Camino with my daughter last spring as a trial run. We took the Valcarlos route, as was advised, and made it to Roncesvalles the first day. I'll be starting again in late September and want to try the Napoleon route. Is it much harder? Can I make it to Roncesvalles in one day? Or is that unrealistic? Thanks for any input you can give me!

I've not walked Valcarlos, however Brierley shows relief map that indicates the climb from Valcarlos to Ibaneta pass is steeper than any section on the Napoleon route.

That being said it is 400 meters more of elevation gain and then 500 meters down steeper hill to get to Roncesvalles.

Unlike Valcarlos there are no options to stop along the way (except for the limited accommodation at Orrison) and no shelter.

So I would say Napoleon is somewhat harder but not significantly harder. Lots of people make the trip in one day ... I'd allow 9 hours.

Last year in October, at 66 I was going to walk 2 days via Valcarlos. However, I decided to go with my new albergue friends over the Napoleon. Orisson was closed by then, so I had no choice but to go all the way. Sure I was tired by the end, but it was not a horrendous day. I had sent much of my pack content ahead by transport, which I think was an excellent idea. Carrying a heavy load would have been awful. This year I'm going again and Orisson will be open, so I'll stop there. Just because I can.

Maybe if you do find the day to be really hard, you should make the next day a short one. You do have choices at that point.

Hi Kathy, my first trip I trusted my son Ben who had walked 5 months ahead of me and told me I could walk to Roncesvalles in one go 'no problem'! :cool::eek:

We walk together frequently in the Lake District and while it's true I have no problem making it up and down some very steep hills I did not train even half enough with a full backpack. The day took me 9 hours, I am small with short legs and simply cannot walk fast, I did not overtake anyone unless they were sitting down! Everyone overtook me! But having said that I wouldn't have missed it for the world, the sense of achievement was wonderful and I recovered incredibly quickly.

However I promised myself that next time (for I already knew I would want to walk the camino more than once) I would either send my pack by transport or stay in Orisson. It's the latter that I'm going to do when I return in 62 days time!:)
Hope this helps, Buen camino
Sarah

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kathy - I walked the Route Napoleon end of September last year with a group of other pilgrims I had just met in SJPP and we all got there - some in 6 hours, some in 9 hours - it's not a race so set your own pace with regular breaks and you won't have a problem!Orisson is a good watering hole but I wouldn't depend on a bed unless you pre book. But definitely walk it - it is worth it for the views alone! Buen Camino!

Hi Kathy, my first trip I trusted my son Ben who had walked 5 months ahead of me and told me I could walk to Roncesvalles in one go 'no problem'! :cool::eek:

We walk together frequently in the Lake District and while it's true I have no problem making it up and down some very steep hills I did not train even half enough with a full backpack. The day took me 9 hours, I am small with short legs and simply cannot walk fast, I did not overtake anyone unless they were sitting down! Everyone overtook me! But having said that I wouldn't have missed it for the world, the sense of achievement was wonderful and I recovered incredibly quickly.

However I promised myself that next time (for I already knew I would want to walk the camino more than once) I would either send my pack by transport or stay in Orisson. It's the latter that I'm going to do when I return in 62 days time!:)
Hope this helps, Buen camino
Sarah

hi there,
I'm planning on starting last week in September so will be right behind you. I'm planning on stopping in Orisson (hope i can get a room. can't make the reservations yet because i havent gotten flight arrangements.) i think for that portion of the trip maybe shipping my backpack would be a good idea or at least lightening the load. what service did you plan on using? also would you mind telling me the flight/train/bus route you took to get to SJPP.

thanks
celeste

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hi there,
I'm planning on starting last week in September so will be right behind you. I'm planning on stopping in Orisson (hope i can get a room. can't make the reservations yet because i havent gotten flight arrangements.) i think for that portion of the trip maybe shipping my backpack would be a good idea or at least lightening the load. what service did you plan on using? also would you mind telling me the flight/train/bus route you took to get to SJPP.

thanks
celeste
Hey Celeste,
I'm planning to start out carrying my backpack and see how it goes. I'm flying to Madrid to see my daughter for a few days. Then I plan to take a train to Pamplona, then take a bus to SJPP. I'll be getting to SJPP on Sept. 23 and starting the Camino the next day. Hope we will cross paths. Buen Camino!

I walked them both and can tell you that the Napoleon route is much harder. Imagine the Valcarlos route going really steep uphill all the time just to end with going down hill pretty steep. The little ups and downs you saw are absolutely nothing compared to the Napoleon route.
Many people only appreciate the Napoleon route for the first few hours and later in hindsight, amazed at the wonderful achievement they pulled off and the story of it which they can share with other pilgrims.

Old, young, athletic or obese..... i've seen all sorts arriving in Roncesvalles in one day so it's not unrealistic, just very very hard.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm planning to start out carrying my backpack and see how it goes.
By all means, do so. I am also a fan of carrying my own backpack and I keep it to about 6 kg for that reason. The only caution I'd make is that the first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles is possibly the hardest day and there isn't an easy "out" once you start, so "seeing how it goes" might be better saved for the next day. Just a thought!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ahh..To stop or not to stop...That is the question :) I will be starting my first Camino on August 24 this year and I struggled with that option too, weighing the exhilaration of that first step to Roncesvalles and the need to take it easy at the start. I finally decided to reserve a bed in Orisson. Unless you are on a tight schedule, I would say, why not? Many experienced perigrinas advised me to do so to avoid strain or other injuries that may haunt you the rest of the way. Eventhough I have been trainingy in the Gatineau Hills with my full back pack for a while now, I know that the Pyrenees are a whole different game so why not take it easy and enjoy the trip rather than apprehend it. Buen camino Kathy!

If I were going to NOT carry my backpack on any section, it would be that first day or two.
After the walk into Roncesvalles and the walk into Zubiri, the rest of the Camino is a piece of cake, in my opinion.
I walked the section from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day the first time I walked the Camino.
Never again!!!
Now, I always take it in two days (I go every year)
And I no longer carry my pack... just a daypack with food, water, and raingear.
Getting older makes a person smarter... and less interested in competing.

Hey Celeste,
I'm planning to start out carrying my backpack and see how it goes. I'm flying to Madrid to see my daughter for a few days. Then I plan to take a train to Pamplona, then take a bus to SJPP. I'll be getting to SJPP on Sept. 23 and starting the Camino the next day. Hope we will cross paths. Buen Camino!
Hi Kathy,
Well my 'solo' trip just got a plus one. One of my four daughters has decided to join me (Adriana is 24). We haven't made the flight arrangements yet but right now we're THINKING of leaving Austin on Sept 22 and arriving in SJPP on the 23rd. Then starting out on the camino on the 24th. So we might be there about the same time. Do you know where you are staying on the 23rd? We're going to spend the night at Orisson the first day hiking as I'm going to take the first couple of weeks slow to make sure my body adjusts. How many days are you allotting for the trip?
In any case nice to know someone else will be on the path at the same time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kathy,
Well my 'solo' trip just got a plus one. One of my four daughters has decided to join me (Adriana is 24). We haven't made the flight arrangements yet but right now we're THINKING of leaving Austin on Sept 22 and arriving in SJPP on the 23rd. Then starting out on the camino on the 24th. So we might be there about the same time. Do you know where you are staying on the 23rd? We're going to spend the night at Orisson the first day hiking as I'm going to take the first couple of weeks slow to make sure my body adjusts. How many days are you allotting for the trip?
In any case nice to know someone else will be on the path at the same time.

Hey! How exciting for you to have your daughter join you! I'm staying at L'Esprit du Chemin on the 23rd. It comes highly recommended! My trip is totally open. I've been told to allow for 40 days, but I'm hoping for 33-35. I really hope to meet you!! I also have 4 children . Keep in touch. :)

Hey! How exciting for you to have your daughter join you! I'm staying at L'Esprit du Chemin on the 23rd. It comes highly recommended! My trip is totally open. I've been told to allow for 40 days, but I'm hoping for 33-35. I really hope to meet you!! I also have 4 children . Keep in touch. :)

Hi @Kathy Beno and @Celestemesser L'Espirit Du Chemin is now called Beilari in St Jean. The former owners have taken the name L'Espirit du Chemin with them when they moved to Vezelay.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back