• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Roncesvalles

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
Hello members,

Could I ask what facilities are available on the first stage? Are there any restaurants/cafes/shops? Is it necessary to bring lunch/snacks/drinks or is it possible to get food/ drinks along the way?

Regards,

G.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From SJPdP to Roncesvalles you have two 'refulelling' stops - Huntto and Orrision, see https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/roncesvalles

So, yes, carry water and snacks for the whole stage and enjoy if there are more offers. Buen Camino, SY

PS If you plan to sleep at Orrisson you do NEED to have a reservation!

If you go via either orrison or valcarlos , have a stop over ... break into two days ...make reservation .... carry water and food for each day ...
can replenish at orrison and valcarlos ... they are not on same track ... it's an either /or ... but both end in Roncessvailles ....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have similar questions re SJPdP to either Orrisson or Roncessvailes.
1. I want to stay one night in SJPdP after picking up my Camino pass port,for the stamps, do I need to make reservations or can I find a place that day in SJPdP? Planning on starting late August.
2. How far in advance do you need to make the reservation for Orrisson or Roncessvailes?
3. What if you reserve for Orrisson yet weather ( or whatever reason would force you to take the other path ) and you don't have a place to stay! I definitely plan on making the first day and overnight before heading into Roncessvailes.
So many questions on getting started!

From SJPP to Orisson/Hunto, there is nothing. No bars, no fountains. Perhaps the vending truck will be around but I doubt it as he would be making very little as people will have had breakfast in SJPP and it's only 2-3 hours to Orisson.

From Orisson to Roncesvalles there is a water fountain as you cross into Navarra. So fill up in Orisson. The vending truck may be somewhere between Orisson and near the border, where the paved road stops.

But don't count on the truck being there or fountain working, bring enough for the stretch from Orisson to Roncesvalles: 3 liters of water, some chocolate, nuts, a bocadillo bought at the local bakery, what have you.

From SJPP to Orisson/Hunto, there is nothing. No bars, no fountains. Perhaps the vending truck will be around but I doubt it as he would be making very little as people will have had breakfast in SJPP and it's only 2-3 hours to Orisson.

From Orisson to Roncesvalles there is a water fountain as you cross into Navarra. So fill up in Orisson. The vending truck may be somewhere between Orisson and near the border, where the paved road stops.

But don't count on the truck being there or fountain working, bring enough for the stretch from Orisson to Roncesvalles: 3 liters of water, some chocolate, nuts, a bocadillo bought at the local bakery, what have you.

3 LITERS???? kowabunga, that's a lot of water.
I carry an 8 ounce bottle and an orange and that gets me there if the fountain is working.
You can ask at the Pilgrim Office if the fountain is running. Orisson also will probably know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Contrary to the advice of others, though it is best to reserve a spot in Vaalcarlos ot Orisson, I personally discovered that they do not wish for you to sleep on the road in front of the Albergue. I had no reservation but they took me in. It was busy and some had to walk 1 km back down the mountain to an overflow building but everyoone who made it that far got a bed, supper and breakfast.

Reservations must be made by email. They do not have a reservation form online.

3 LITERS???? kowabunga, that's a lot of water.
I carry an 8 ounce bottle and an orange and that gets me there if the fountain is working.
You can ask at the Pilgrim Office if the fountain is running. Orisson also will probably know.
Oh yes! 3 litters plus another three at the fountain and more in Orisson. I drink a lot of water, at home and when walking. As for asking if the fountain is running ... that thing can break down 5 minutes before you come to it: nor Orisson nor the PO would know if it is working or not. Don't count on it.

Contrary to the advice of others, though it is best to reserve a spot in Vaalcarlos ot Orisson, I personally discovered that they do not wish for you to sleep on the road in front of the Albergue. I had no reservation but they took me in. It was busy and some had to walk 1 km back down the mountain to an overflow building but everyoone who made it that far got a bed, supper and breakfast.

Reservations must be made by email. They do not have a reservation form online.
Only a small % of people can stay at Orisson or the flow over. The vast majority walk the full day. And there really is no reason to sleep on their porch, the whole day is 27km, not 47km. And that is not what the OP was asking about but food and drinks.

I have similar questions re SJPdP to either Orrisson or Roncessvailes.
1. I want to stay one night in SJPdP after picking up my Camino pass port,for the stamps, do I need to make reservations or can I find a place that day in SJPdP? Planning on starting late August.
2. How far in advance do you need to make the reservation for Orrisson or Roncessvailes?
3. What if you reserve for Orrisson yet weather ( or whatever reason would force you to take the other path ) and you don't have a place to stay! I definitely plan on making the first day and overnight before heading into Roncessvailes.
So many questions on getting started!
1.When you arrive late I would make a reservation.
2.When you want to stay at the Albergue Orisson make your reservation.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

I'm a bit worried about not getting a bed at valcarlos. We leave in about 2 weeks time and I've emailed the albergue 3 times without receiving a reply or confirmation. I assumed that they work on a first come first serve basis and don't accept advanced bookings. I was hoping that the office at Sjpdp would help us out there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't worry @Karen Urquhart - I can't imagine the albergue at Valcarlos being full. When I was there in May last year (the busiest month of the year) there were only two of us.

Most people take the Route Napoleon.

Additionally to the gronze-link above from SYates a profile map can be downloaded here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ps-of-all-34-stages-of-the-camino-frances.12/

With the profile-map and the weather-report and the info in this thread and your own experience you should be able to estimate your needed water and food supply.

If I will not get training-experience with similar routes in the next year, I want to cut the first stage in two days... on the profile maps for 34 days you see that this route is one of the most difficult stages (longer than the average stage (if you plan with about 34 stages) and a relatively huge height difference).

Don't worry @Karen Urquhart - I can't imagine the albergue at Valcarlos being full. When I was there in May last year (the busiest month of the year) there were only two of us. ...
That sounds good to me... if I want a easier route short-term and have no reservation for Orisson.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
@Kanga thank you for the quick reply, it has put my mind to rest. My reservation has been confirmed at Roncesvalles for the following night and after that we are going to decide as we go.

I'm a bit worried about not getting a bed at valcarlos. We leave in about 2 weeks time and I've emailed the albergue 3 times without receiving a reply or confirmation. I assumed that they work on a first come first serve basis and don't accept advanced bookings. I was hoping that the office at Sjpdp would help us out there.
There is not a hospitalero in Valcarlos; just a lady that comes to collect the tariff at nightfall. I wonder if someone actually check up the mail (although theoretically, reservation is possible).
In case of emergency, there are many hostals and hotels...but being a touristic place in summer, they will be relatively expensive.

Try this email address.
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net.
The Valcarlos albergue does accept reservations.

The municipal albergue is great ! Nearby the Casa Marcelino has good food and also rooms.

Good luck and Buen camino!

@Felipe thank you for the advice, if there is no room for us at valcarlos then we will get something else sorted out.

@mspath also thank you for the information. That was the email address I used to email them and no response. Hopefully they have seen my email and have booked us in.

Hello members,

Could I ask what facilities are available on the first stage? Are there any restaurants/cafes/shops? Is it necessary to bring lunch/snacks/drinks or is it possible to get food/ drinks along the way?

Regards,

G.

Noting after Orrison or 20km of mountain trek. Water sourse so bring some food

Hi,

You will see the food truck mentioned by Anemone in this video. Look from min 12:30
Not here all year round, of course.

Three little gems for those fluent in French :
Journalist : "Your sheep are really nice !" Vendor : "They belong to my neighbour. Mine are over there."
J : "In any case, they make good cheese." V : "No, they make good milk. We make the cheese."
J : "Does you dog speak basque?" V : "It doesn't speak it but it understands it."

Two other videos in the same series, on the mountains on the Le Puy and before reaching Galicia.

Only a small % of people can stay at Orisson or the flow over. The vast majority walk the full day. And there really is no reason to sleep on their porch, the whole day is 27km, not 47km. And that is not what the OP was asking about but food and drinks.

You are correct, the original question was about food and drink on the first leg. My response was to another question that evolved within the converstion.

I was not as fit as I should have been and for me, it took 9 hopurs to reach Orrison. At that pace, I would have had to walk thru the night to reach Roncesvalles by morning. My energy was completely gone by Orrison so the next leg had to wait till the next day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the Sarria to Santiago leg as a guided tour in April this year. I am 77 and had no problem at all.

Now I am thinking of going back to do the remainder: SJPP to Sarria, in April next year. It will be an unguided tour through the same company, CaminoWays, who were excellent.

I'm a bit concerned about the first day, SJPP to Roncesvalles by the Napoleon route. I plan to do it in one day (subject to weather, of course) and would like peoples' wisdom on how hard it is. I've seen maps, watched a few videos and read a bit but am still left wondering just how difficult it will be. I train a lot here in Sydney doing 14-20 kms a few times a week but not with the ascent required on the Camino. Is there likely to be other pilgrims at that time of the year? I am a bit shy about approaching people along the way. How hard is it to find the allocated accommodation in the towns like Pamplona, Burgos etc.?

Any and all comments will be much appreciated.

I'm not sure how an unguided tour works. You walk and your things are transported to a certain place to stay each night? Are the places you stay hotels, or dorm type of rooms?
If you are going to walk and have to walk a predetermined distance each day, what happens if you are unable for some reason to walk that far?

Sorry for my confusion.

I am 77 and had no problem at all.

Now I am thinking of SJPP to Sarria, in April next year.

I'm a bit concerned about the first day, SJPP to Roncesvalles by the Napoleon route. I plan to do it in one day ... wondering just how difficult it will be. Is there likely to be other pilgrims at that time of the year? I am a bit shy about approaching people along the way. How hard is it to find the allocated accommodation in the towns like Pamplona, Burgos etc.?
Hi Mack,

I will try to answer some of your questions, and tell you what I would keep in mind. But first I have to say I think it is fantastic that you are so active at 77 and bold enough to consider the Napoleon route.

It is quite steep, especially the first third or so. Bring water, snacks, and do not even try to venture up there if the weather is iffy. Stop by the Pilgrim Office and ask about the weather report.

You will see others on the trail, and my guess is that they will be the ones stopping to say hi, ask how you are doing and encourage you. Take full advantage of that company: it is motivating, makes the hike feel shorter, and in April, safer or what will most likely be a quite muddy path.

In April you really should have no difficulty at all with accomdoations, I would not worry about it. But .... if you are using a travel agency, this really should not be a concern. May I ask why you ask about this?

If as you get closer to your departure date, and can work this out with the agency you will be working with, and feel unsure, please do consider the Valcarlos route, which will remain open even if the Napoleon route gets closed due to weather, and is a kinder first day. Also, if you carry a phone, you can always call a taxi on that route should ypu meed one. Orisson will not give you that flexibility if the Napoleon route gets closed as it will also be unaccessible.

Best of luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not sure how an unguided tour works. You walk and your things are transported to a certain place to stay each night? Are the places you stay hotels, or dorm type of rooms?
If you are going to walk and have to walk a predetermined distance each day, what happens if you are unable for some reason to walk that far?

Sorry for my confusion.
Unguided tours organise your etapas, book your bed (pensiones/hotels/the odd private albergue if there are no other options) and arrange for mochila transport and can also arrangw for some evening meals. They give you a printout of your route.

Hi Mack,

I will try to answer some of your questions, and tell you what I would keep in mind. But first I have to say I think it is fantastic that you are so active at 77 and bold enough to consider the Napoleon route.

It is quite steep, especially the first third or so. Bring water, snacks, and do not even try to venture up there if the weather is iffy. Stop by the Pilgrim Office and ask about the weather report.

You will see others on the trail, and my guess is that they will be the ones stopping to say hi, ask how you are doing and encourage you. Take full advantage of that company: it is motivating, makes the hike feel shorter, and in April, safer or what will most likely be a quite muddy path.

In April you really should have no difficulty at all with accomdoations, I would not worry about it. But .... if you are using a travel agency, this really should not be a concern. May I ask why you ask about this?

If as you get closer to your departure date, and can work this out with the agency you will be working with, and feel unsure, please do consider the Valcarlos route, which will remain open even if the Napoleon route gets closed due to weather, and is a kinder first day. Also, if you carry a phone, you can always call a taxi on that route should ypu meed one. Orisson will not give you that flexibility if the Napoleon route gets closed as it will also be unaccessible.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your comments. The accommodation question was about how to find the designated place upon arrival in town. My sense of direction is not the best and I'm used to road signs here in Australia but I don't think I saw many in Spain last time. I'm hoping google maps might help on my iPhone!

I will take your advice and ask the pilgrim office about weather etc upon arrival. The Valcarlos route will suit but the Napoleon route is my challenge!

Again, many thanks for your wisdom. Appreciated.

Sorry for my confusion.

Yes, CaminoWays organise transport of bag (I use a CPAP machine each night so to backpack my things is not possible), all breakfasts and most dinners at accommodation like BnB's, hotels etc. Usually 2-3 star but all good. As to not making a destination: I am given a 24 hour phone number and they will re-arrange if necessary.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The accommodation question was about how to find the designated place upon arrival in town. My sense of direction is not the best and I'm used to road signs here in Australia but I don't think I saw many in Spain last time. I'm hoping google maps might help on my iPhone!.
In most towns the arrows take you to the albergue, at least to the main or the municipal one. Private ones is a different thing.

My friend and I applied for reservations at Orrison for late this September. We were told to apply by email and it takes several weeks for them to respond, or apply by phone which is faster but only if you speak French. The beds are 35 Euro each which is quite expensive for the El Camino. The reason we are considering staying at Orisson is not that we can't make it over the Pyrenees in one day, but that it will put us out of sync with the majority of Pilgrims that follow the Brierly guide. At least that's the theory in the book "Pilgrim tips & Packing List-Camino de Santiago" by S. Yates which I have been reading. The author suggested avoiding the stages promoted by some Camino guides, I assume she's talking about Brierly since it's the most popular, to avoid congestion at the same Albergues in the same towns.

If we don't get a reservation at Orrison then it will be over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles in one day. We're used to steep and long mountain hikes in the Sierra of Northern California, but still I don't want to underestimate the difficulty of the Pyrenees as jet lag, being in unfamiliar territory and other factors may take their toll.

So funny, the spell checker on my computer wanted me to change Orrison to Orbison as in Roy Orbison of "Pretty Woman" fame. Younger folks may not know who he is but I'm old enough to remember him!

The beds are 35 Euro each which is quite expensive for the El Camino. The reason we are considering staying at Orisson is not that we can't make it over the Pyrenees in one day, but that it will put us out of sync with the majority of Pilgrims that follow the Brierly guide.
The 35€ includes your demi-pension.

As for putting you at of sync, doing that it will also have you walk through Pamplona and other major towns/cities, which includes a change from the "pilgrim menu", visiting major architectual and historical sites, etc. My guess is that you will soon tire of watching children kick a ball around on the local plaza.

You don't need to stop in Orisson for that, just stop in the town before, or after, Brierly stages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In reference to making reservations for Refuge Orisson. I made a reservation [for me and my wife] for the last week of September 2017 and it did not take several weeks to receive a reply. I received an email from the refuge in less than 48 hours, at the same time received the "facture" via a separate email which was sent using email address SARL APATHIA [be on the lookout for this email, check your spam folder, this email have the link to make your initial payment via pay pal, and no, you don't need a pay pal account to make this payment]. Note, the installment is not refundable and you pay the balance at the refuge. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited:
The reason we are considering staying at Orisson is not that we can't make it over the Pyrenees in one day, but that it will put us out of sync with the majority of Pilgrims that follow the Brierly guide.
It will put you out of sync only if you then walk on beyond Roncesvalles the next day, which you may not feel like doing. Besides, there's a lot of fun in meeting other pilgrims repeatedly during the first couple of days. Just avoid starting from SJPP or from Roncesvalles on a Friday or Saturday.

I suggest that you not over-plan your out-of-sync plans! It is simply a strategy to be aware of, for use if and when you need it.

The Brierley guide is probably the most popular guide among English-speaking pilgrims, but they do not form the majority of pilgrims on the camino!

Thank you Sailor, my friend is making the reservations for Refuge
In reference to making reservations for Refuge Orisson. I made a reservation [for me and my wife] for the last week of September 2017 and it did not take several weeks to receive a reply. I received an email from the refuge in less than 48 hours, at the same time received the "facture" via a separate email which was sent using email address SARL APATHIA [be on the lookout for this email, check your spam folder, this email have the link to make your initial payment via pay pal, and no, you don't need a pay pal account to make this payment]. Note, the installment is not refundable and you pay the balance at the refuge. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hi Sailor,

You are right, Orisson has already gotten back to us with reservations for Sept 24. It only took a couple of days

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you Sailor, my friend is making the reservations for Refuge

Hi Sailor,

You are right, Orisson has already gotten back to us with reservations for Sept 24. It only took a couple of days
Good news! Team Sailor will be three days behind your team. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

It will put you out of sync only if you then walk on beyond Roncesvalles the next day, which you may not feel like doing. Besides, there's a lot of fun in meeting other pilgrims repeatedly during the first couple of days. Just avoid starting from SJPP or from Roncesvalles on a Friday or Saturday.

I suggest that you not over-plan your out-of-sync plans! It is simply a strategy to be aware of, for use if and when you need it.

The Brierley guide is probably the most popular guide among English-speaking pilgrims, but they do not form the majority of pilgrims on the camino!

Greetings from Sacramento CA,,
I hope it is cooler in B.C. than here. I know what you mean about over planning. I am just getting all wound up about the El Camino and I retire
Good news! Team Sailor will be three days behind your team. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
All right
[
All right team Sailor! Look for two 50/60 ish guys, one speaks fluent Spanish (he grew up in Madrid Spain) and has a black Osprey pack, the other guy is a skinny Irish/American dude with a red REI pack, he doesn't speak Spanish but took French in high school and forgot most of it due to lack of use.

Good deal, here is the info on Team Sailor.
-- Both: Over 60.
-- Both: Speak fluent Spanish.
-- Both: Plan to start slow, then ease off, look for us sitting under big trees.
-- Her: Has a green Osprey pack.
-- Him: Has a black Osprey pack with forum patch, military style hat, stars and stripes bandana.
Already then, to all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good deal, here is the info on Team Sailor.
-- Both: Over 60.
-- Both: Speak fluent Spanish.
-- Both: Plan to start slow, then ease off, look for us sitting under big trees.
-- Her: Has a green Osprey pack.
-- Him: Has a black Osprey pack with forum patch, military style hat, stars and stripes bandana.
Already then, to all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
I will look for you Team Sailor. I am over 60 also, my friend is late 50's, both guys, he is married am I am not. We already got our roundtrip airline tickets, but we planned for lots of time to see the sights and visit my friend's relatives in Spain, so we are in no hurry. I call him Hombre and he calls me Senior Cejas because he thinks I have big eyebrows, but they're just normal for people of Irish heritage. I do need a weed wacker to trim them though. FYI I was a Radarman on the USS Galveston CLG3 many years ago.

Emailed booking in Orisson for my son for 22nd Sept and had reply next day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back