• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

SJPP to Roncesvalles

Angus137

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I am heading out from SJPP on 180218 and I wonder whether I should take some extra old layers/gloves that I can leave in Roncesvalles - just incase the weather is nasty. Thank you Angus

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am heading out from SJPP on 180218 and I wonder whether I should take some extra old layers/gloves that I can leave in Roncesvalles - just incase the weather is nasty. Thank you Angus
Hi Angus , I think you have the date wrong .
Wish you well,Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have to keep in mind that the Napoleon route is closed till at least the end of March.
You need to walk the Valcarlos route.
I always begin my walks around mid April where ever I walk .
I always wear two layers and gloves when it's cold in the morning, and I do this the whole walk .
Using layers is a smart thing to do.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.het

Last edited:
Hi Angus, we may see you as we are leaving the 15th/16th of March from SJPdP and are doing a slow Camino :D I am taking 2 sets of gloves but planning to keep them with me as there are other areas that could get cold or wet.

Don't forget that there are many places along the Camino Frances where you can purchase gloves or other extra layers. Better to do that than to bring things you do not need. I don't like to get to Santiago and see things in my backpack that I have carried for 800 kms and never used. Also everything I carry is expendable, and not immune from being left on a donativo table or rubbish bin in an albergue.
I know there have been cases of pilgrims getting in trouble during snowstorms the first day, but as far as the rest of the Camino goes I do not believe I heard of very many cases of pilgrims losing fingers due to frostbite on exposed hands, ha ha. Leave the old layers at Roncesvalles if you don't want them anymore. Somebody can probably use them and you can always get more if you need to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked in April and used trekking poles regularly, so my hands were usually exposed. My lightweight gloves were indispensable in the mornings for pretty much the whole month.

Walking this time of year take your layered winter clothing including gloves. I have walk in snow , sleet, hail and rain up into mid April. It is better to have it than to be without it.

Thank you all very much - good advice. Donate-able layers appears the way forward or the buen camino! Angus

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in April and used trekking poles regularly, so my hands were usually exposed. My lightweight gloves were indispensable in the mornings for pretty much the whole month.
Hi Priscilla, what type of gloves did you wear with your trekking poles?

Did you walk Napoleon route, I use gloves to protect my hands from sun on Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you walk Napoleon route, I use gloves to protect my hands from sun on Camino

As per today mate the OP has not commenced , maybe inquire in 3 weeks

@Angus137 gloves have become an essential part of my kit. I did not take any on my last Camino (the Madrid) and I finished up by buying a pair from a travelling sales van. It turned up at just the right moment - the Camino provides!

I found Extremities Wind Lite Gloves are perfect. They keep hands warm, not sweaty, are lightweight and compact.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Back