• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Santiago 7 Days Cycling. Thoughts?

Eoghan McGrath

Time of past OR future Camino
French route Cycling final 400km (2007), Full French Route Cycling (2015).
Hello there, I plan to cycle the Camino from SJPP to Santiago in 7 days in April 2015. I am a relatively experienced cyclist and I'm quite fit, so with a bit of training/conditioning I don't think it will be too much of an issue physically. However, I'd love to hear any advice anyone has to give with regards to this plan; any warnings, considerations I've probably overlooked etc.

Thank you very much for your time,

Eoghan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello there, I plan to cycle the Camino from SJPP to Santiago in 7 days in April 2015. I am a relatively experienced cyclist and I'm quite fit, so with a bit of training/conditioning I don't think it will be too much of an issue physically. However, I'd love to hear any advice anyone has to give with regards to this plan; any warnings, considerations I've probably overlooked etc.

Eoghan

Faìlte Eoghan,

If you intend to take the road, it's probably doable in 7 days, but on the path most of the way, you're more talking about 10 to 11 days cycling, all depends on your fitness and luggage. The main issue with long cycling days is that it's already 5PM by the time you look for accommodation and cyclists aren't on top of the list for a bed. You might endup in situations like: It's 4pm, I can have a bed here but I made "only" 90k where I expect 110 avg per day, but next village, 20k from here has only one albergue and I don't know if I'll have a bed.... In April, you can't really start too early as it's fairly dangerous to ride with poor visibility.

Don't underestimate the time it takes to maintain the bike, your gear and yourself in the evening after a wet muddy day (Thank you guys from El Puntido ...)
I did Toulouse -> Santiago, 1200km in 15 days on a MTB. 80km avg is about 5h cycling at 16km/h. Great days at 100km+, bad at 45km.

My only advice is "take your time, don't plan too much, give yourself 2-3 extra days that you'll spend either on the road or in Santiago, or to Fisterra so your mind won't be focus on your bike computer and more on your feelings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why bother?

Well, people do their own trips the way they like. Here's a group from Switzerland at the pilgrim's mass in LePuy, before heading out on road bikes to ride the 1600 km to Santiago in 12 days. It is not a style that appeals to me, but there were about 40 of them and they all were excited about their pilgrimage.

swiss.JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
(second try - system through me out?)
So here again unless you are pushed for time why try to do the 800 km from SJPP to SDC in 8 days. Why not "stop and smell the roses along the way"? For me (and I will be doing Pamplona to SDC in Sep 15) we are taking at least twice as long - stopping extra nights in Burgos and Leon and any other interesting spots. Since April can still be cold and wet I also recommend good "wet weather gear" and as it may be crowded budget for a few nights in Casa rural (B&Bs) or hotels. Otherwise - Buen Camino!

7 days is easily doable on the road. I would not have the patience to MTB the final part of the route, in many places it's basically a footpath and (as you would expect) full of walking pilgrims so in the morning you'll need to keep stopping and starting if you are going to be considerate. (You have to fix a bell on your bike before you go)

If you are going by road I would recommend getting one of the Dutch/German (?) cycling guides, they are laminated spiral bound books and have wonderful maps for bikes and show the road route detours. I used the Michelin maps which were ok but confusing in places. I found the CSJ cycle notes too hard to follow. I wouldn’t bother with Le Puyto Santiago - A Cyclist's Guide (Cicerone Cycling) it’s ok but I think it’s dated.

Most pilgrims are cool about cyclists but some are downright hostile, don’t let it get to you. It’s your pilgrimage so do it your way, cycling is different to walking – not better or worse just different. I believe the codex calixtinus is organised for horse riders not walkers and as a consequence there are 13/14 sections - you get the Compostella for the distance covered not how long it takes.

Cycling the camino alone is a solitary experience, unless you are very lucky you’ll be spending a lot of time alone. Good for reflection but nothing like the walking experience.

In my opinion, the camino is not a great cycle ride, it’s a pilgrimage route. It’s good for religion, history, food, social experience and that kind of thing. There are much more beautiful and much more exciting places to ride a bike in Europe.

I wouldn’t stress about accommodation. Accommodation wise I would aim for the bigger places that have more beds or stay in small hotels. I was in Arzua at the end of August, private albergue, 8pm, 4 cyclists arrived, still lots of beds.

The meseta is just as boring to cycle across as it is to walk across and the sun/headwind can be brutal. Might not be your cup of tea but headphones and music might help (the roads are very quiet).

Make sure you take lights/reflectives, crossing the Pyrenees in thick cloud and zero visibility is kind of fun, a bit eerie and probably not that safe!

The guide books vary about roads that they think are safe/unsafe and I think this is personal preference. Some of the quiet roads mentioned in the guides are narrow with big mining lorries rumbling along at high speeds. Some of the main roads you are advised not to cycle on have wide hard shoulders, hardly any traffic, fantastic smooth tarmac. Treat local advice with caution, the tourist office in Leon advised me to get to Oviedo by the main road (fine for bike they said) all I can say is that was a terrifying experience and I turned back as soon as I reach the top of the climb and could turn around.

Sleeping bag or not – I would say 100% yes unless you know you are going to be in hotels. I was in Spain in June and got soaked and chilled to the bone numerous times. I *needed* my sleeping bag to get warm at night.

Bike shops, although lots are marked on the maps, finding them and finding them when they are open is a challenge!

Good luck - Helen

In my opinion, the camino is not a great cycle ride, it’s a pilgrimage route. It’s good for religion, history, food, social experience and that kind of thing. There are much more beautiful and much more exciting places to ride a bike in Europe.

Most pilgrims are cool about cyclists but some are downright hostile

I would agree that the roads near the trail constitute a rather mediocre road bike ride, but I think the actual trail is one of the finest mountain bike rides in the world. I never had much conflict with walking pilgrims at all. We leave late in the morning after they spread out, and slow down and say hello to the ones we pass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some people I know say that about the Camino in general..........Because it's there! :)
The original post was requesting thoughts. "Why bother" was my thought. It is as legitimate as any other, it just may not agree with your thought.

1. In April weather can be cold and wet in the mountains. Cold means: 4 degrees C maximum and some snow.
2. Consider not to ride the 'real' Camino, all the way. Sometimes steep, narrow, stones and other nasty stuff. On the other hand, the N-120 is straight and you can hurry if you want to, but it also can be dangerous for bikers. So plan your route carefully.
3. Download a file with all the albergues on the camino.
4. Learn some Spanish
5. Be carefull while descending. Over 70 kms an hour is good for your daily average but also quite dangerous.

I do not know why you're in such a hurry, but I do know when cycling over 100 kms every day you will miss a lot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Eoghan

I'll be happy to add some thoughts, but to answer your questions thoughtfully requires additional information. First, as some have pointed out, whether you intend to ride on the road or on the trail (with occasional road riding in lieu of hike-a-bike) matters tremendously. Second, do you intend to spend nearly all your waking hours riding or did you plan on stopping to smell the flowers and see the sights along the way?

If you'll provide that information, I'll provide my insights from the perspective of one who cycled on a mountain bike and mainly on the path from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 14 days in April 2013.

Dan

I am an old man and cycled the distance in 9 days, mostly on the road. I don't really believe in cyclists sharing the Camino with hikers; I sure didn't like cyclists (many without a bell) making me jump out of the way when I did the walk. From Roncesvalles you can cycle directly to Puente la Reina rather than Pamplona. I can look up the route I took if you are interested. The route is a bit easier and has a lot less traffic. If you cycle as much as you plan, don't expect an experience that resembles the walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Eoghan

I'll be happy to add some thoughts, but to answer your questions thoughtfully requires additional information. First, as some have pointed out, whether you intend to ride on the road or on the trail (with occasional road riding in lieu of hike-a-bike) matters tremendously. Second, do you intend to spend nearly all your waking hours riding or did you plan on stopping to smell the flowers and see the sights along the way?

If you'll provide that information, I'll provide my insights from the perspective of one who cycled on a mountain bike and mainly on the path from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 14 days in April 2013.

Dan

Hi Dan
I would be very interested in getting your perspective and advice. I plan to do exactly as you have done, same route, same timescale, same type of bike and same time of year!(in 2015)
my wife walked the Camino a few years ago and is planning to walk from Portugal to SDC while I cycle her original route and meet her at the finish.
I have and I am still reading plenty of tips about what I am undertaking, but you may be able to provide me with valuable advice. Can you contact me if you are willing to share your experiences?
look forward to hearing from you
regards
Paul

The original post was requesting thoughts. "Why bother" was my thought. It is as legitimate as any other, it just may not agree with your thought.
I second that.

It is not a race. Why bother going to Santiago? Why not go somewhere elae?

Eoghan

Dan

Hello!
I know this post is from a while ago now, but my friend and I are planning to cycle from SJPP to Santiago this May and I would really love to get some of your insights! We chose SJPP just because it is the more traditional starting point, but we are open to different starting cities. We would really like to travel mainly on the path as opposed roads, and trying to plan that is a little daunting! We have about 16 days to complete the trip, and we really want to be able to stop and smell the flowers and see the sights along the way.
Thanks for any info you might be able to provide! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, since you have plenty of time I would not let the planning be daunting. You are heading out on a trip where there is all sorts of food, lodging, and sites available throughout, and it requires very little planning. Just get on the trail and take it as it comes.

Hello!
I know this post is from a while ago now, but my friend and I are planning to cycle from SJPP to Santiago this May and I would really love to get some of your insights! We chose SJPP just because it is the more traditional starting point, but we are open to different starting cities. We would really like to travel mainly on the path as opposed roads, and trying to plan that is a little daunting! We have about 16 days to complete the trip, and we really want to be able to stop and smell the flowers and see the sights along the way.
Thanks for any info you might be able to provide! :)
By choosing SJPP you also choose for a challenge on day 1. It takes 4 to 5 hours to climb the Puerto de Ibañeta. So be prepared (or start in Pamplona). In May it can be cold on the Meseta (800 m above sea level) and in the Spanish mountains (1,300 m). Cycling the Camino Path is also a challenge. Sometimes the Path is steep. There are stones, dust, mud, water and walkers who don't like bikers passing them closely. Alternative: asphalt. So plan your track, a mix of asphalt and the Path. Avoid cycling the asphalt of the N-120. There's a lot of traffic on this main road (large trucks) and that makes cycling not that comfortable as you might wish. The distance is about 900 km (SJPP-Santiago) so sixteen days will be sufficient. You won't have to hurry. So you can enjoy your Camino by visiting little villages (Estella, Nájera, Santo Domingo, Hontanas and many other), cities like Burgos and León, monastries and churches. And -very important- enjoy your Spanish food/meals. Tapas, cerveza, vino and the daily 'Pilgrims' meal' are my favorites. It'll be very helpful if you can understand (and speak) some elementairy Spanish. Older Spanish people only speak Spanish. And there're a lot of old Spaniards along the Camino. English is popular in contacts between pilgrims, coming from the UK, Netherlands, Germany, USA, Canada, Australia etc. Young people from France, Italy and Spain mostly speak English, sometimes even quite good. Enjoy these contacts.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Eoghan
Hi
We cycled the route in two weeks but mostly followed the road most of them were quite. But we did cycle to SJPDP first from England and then contained along the Camino Portuguese as far as Tomar before heading back to Spain again.
It was amazing but challenging even for experienced cyclists like ourselves.
Good luck doing it in 7 days
Lowa RENEGADE GTX MID LADY
elves

From Roncesvalles you can cycle directly to Puente la Reina rather than Pamplona.

Below is a link to the route we used, which I believe came from the CSJ cycling guide. The ride through woods from Burguete down to Uriz is a real delight - although cool on a June morning. The only downside was the ugly mile through Campanas, which was also busy with trucks; street view suggests that the situation is somewhat improved by the parallel autovia - now it's mostly just lots of cars. On the other hand, it makes a good lunch stop. One benefit of this route is that it brings you past the wonderful Templar chapel at Eunate.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6864140

I just discovered that roads paved since our Camino allow a Campanas detour, although some 2 miles longer.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7004977

If you don't mind some dirt/gravel, you can even follow back roads all the way to Eunate.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7005118

Lastly, a route from Pamplona for any walkers who might wish to avoid the Alto del Perdon due to weather, mud, etc.
It could be made a little shorter by taking NA-6000 out of Cizur Menor.
This version follows the Camino as much as possible - on both ends.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7005152

By choosing SJPP you also choose for a challenge on day 1. It takes 4 to 5 hours to climb the Puerto de Ibañeta. So be prepared (or start in Pamplona). In May it can be cold on the Meseta (800 m above sea level) and in the Spanish mountains (1,300 m). Cycling the Camino Path is also a challenge. Sometimes the Path is steep. There are stones, dust, mud, water and walkers who don't like bikers passing them closely. Alternative: asphalt. So plan your track, a mix of asphalt and the Path. Avoid cycling the asphalt of the N-120. There's a lot of traffic on this main road (large trucks) and that makes cycling not that comfortable as you might wish. The distance is about 900 km (SJPP-Santiago) so sixteen days will be sufficient. You won't have to hurry. So you can enjoy your Camino by visiting little villages (Estella, Nájera, Santo Domingo, Hontanas and many other), cities like Burgos and León, monastries and churches. And -very important- enjoy your Spanish food/meals. Tapas, cerveza, vino and the daily 'Pilgrims' meal' are my favorites. It'll be very helpful if you can understand (and speak) some elementairy Spanish. Older Spanish people only speak Spanish. And there're a lot of old Spaniards along the Camino. English is popular in contacts between pilgrims, coming from the UK, Netherlands, Germany, USA, Canada, Australia etc. Young people from France, Italy and Spain mostly speak English, sometimes even quite good. Enjoy these contacts.
Buen Camino!

Thank you so much! There's so much to think about, and this helped a lot!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Faìlte Eoghan,

If you intend to take the road, it's probably doable in 7 days, but on the path most of the way, you're more talking about 10 to 11 days cycling, all depends on your fitness and luggage. The main issue with long cycling days is that it's already 5PM by the time you look for accommodation and cyclists aren't on top of the list for a bed. You might endup in situations like: It's 4pm, I can have a bed here but I made "only" 90k where I expect 110 avg per day, but next village, 20k from here has only one albergue and I don't know if I'll have a bed.... In April, you can't really start too early as it's fairly dangerous to ride with poor visibility.

Don't underestimate the time it takes to maintain the bike, your gear and yourself in the evening after a wet muddy day (Thank you guys from El Puntido ...)
I did Toulouse -> Santiago, 1200km in 15 days on a MTB. 80km avg is about 5h cycling at 16km/h. Great days at 100km+, bad at 45km.

My only advice is "take your time, don't plan too much, give yourself 2-3 extra days that you'll spend either on the road or in Santiago, or to Fisterra so your mind won't be focus on your bike computer and more on your feelings.

Thank you for posting that advice. I'm intending cycling from SJPDP this coming October. I have never done a cycle tour and compiling the gear and getting fit now. Your speed/distance averages are particularly thoughtful. :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back