• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP to Santiago

christer1

Time of past OR future Camino
none (yet)
Just for what it's worth my Gps app I have been using all the way shows a total distance of 867kms. Clearly there have been some minor detours along the way but i estimate these to be less than 5k and certainly less than 10k.

Some of the stages according to Brierley have been more or less spot on but the majority have been longer than shown in the book. The largest delta was on the Roncesvalles to Zubiri stage which depending on which book you use should be around 21-22k but my Gps showed 27.5!

Distances don't matter really the journey does- but I found it interesting nontheless:)

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
i believe the distance as quoted in brierley's book is shorter than the actual walk. whether it is measured point to point from the centre of the pueblo or not i am not sure. or could it be it is measured in a straight line as the crow flies.

also the possibility of getting lost or going the wrong ways could account for the longer distance according to your gps readings.

Just for what it's worth my Gps app I have been using all the way shows a total distance of 867kms. Clearly there have been some minor detours along the way but i estimate these to be less than 5k and certainly less than 10k.

Some of the stages according to Brierley have been more or less spot on but the majority have been longer than shown in the book. The largest delta was on the Roncesvalles to Zubiri stage which depending on which book you use should be around 21-22k but my Gps showed 27.5!

Distances don't matter really the journey does- but I found it interesting nontheless:)

Buen Camino!
Did you download Camino waypoints to your GPS or just use it to record distances? If you did download waypoints can you let me know where you found them and did you have a Camino specific map on your GPS as well? Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did you download Camino waypoints to your GPS or just use it to record distances? If you did download waypoints can you let me know where you found them and did you have a Camino specific map on your GPS as well? Thanks.
I used it to record distances each day continously. The app is called endomondo and on some days i cross checked with viewranger and found no major discrepancies.

Hope i answered your question.

I used a route that I downloaded from here http://www.hikingthecamino.com/on-the-way/maps-gps I used the app Maverick GPS on my Android Phone. The route helped me when I was unsure if I was on the right track. They have made routes for most of the alternatives as well and out to Finisterre and Muxía.

I used a route that I downloaded from here http://www.hikingthecamino.com/on-the-way/maps-gps I used the app Maverick GPS on my Android Phone. The route helped me when I was unsure if I was on the right track. They have made routes for most of the alternatives as well and out to Finisterre and Muxía.

Beatrice ..........i reckon its a highway out there .
No need for anything but the accommodation list for the upcoming towns.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been using an App for recording the walks each day on the camino, at home this App is 99% accurate. However when walking the camino I always recorded further distances than what the book said, couldn't figure it out as the G.P.S is the same in Spain or Ireland. On a daily basis I would be about 2km to 4km out with John Brierly's book. I am sure there should be some way of checking what the actual distances are.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm into sucking in a big way.
Water, cafe con leche, tea with lemon, coke, beer, vinto tinto/blanco, whisky, G&T's.
Not necessarily in that order.
Tks for the recommendation.
:p My tounge is hanging out already!
A man after my own heart, cafe con leche, beer, vino tinto, and Jameson when available. (water is nice if taken in the right spirit) ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also noticed the distance discrepancy during my Camino. I was using the mapmywalk app and it would show greater end of day distances than the guidebook I was using (Dintaman). I assumed (correctly or not) that the distances quoted in the guides are from specific alburgues to other specific alburgues and don't represent center of town distances. It wasn't that much of a distraction though and I soon put it out of my mind in favor of enjoying the journey.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Forget all those books, just follow the yellow arrows.:)

Buen Camino!

Why all the apps??

Just get up in the morning and start walking .
After 2-3 hours , its now 9am plus and you have done 8-12km, relax.
Half the days walk is over, have a coffee and look to see where the next town is , on someone else's map ....better the german guides....
Then put the pack back on and follow the mob......

Why all the apps??

Just get up in the morning and start walking .
After 2-3 hours , its now 9am plus and you have done 8-12km, relax.
Half the days walk is over, have a coffee and look to see where the next town is , on someone else's map ....better the german guides....
Then put the pack back on and follow the mob......

........... and enjoy the walk, take your photos, chat to people along the way (locals & fellow peregrinos),etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The differential is likely caused by the app not factoring in all the slopes, but considering the entire Camino to be perfectly flat.

Errors could be due to doppler effect.

More likely you walk too slow for the GPS to function properly so it gets double readings (with cumulative inherent error) when you haven't moved much at all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As others have advised, just walk! Follow the yellow arrows, shells and your fellow pilgrims. It's really that simple. Will it really change your decision to do the Camino or dramatically impact your Camino experience if GPS, apps and gadgetry tell you the route is few steps less or more than what the guidebooks say?

And I thought I tended to overthink my Camino prior to going by obsessing over which shoes to buy.... Sheesh!

As others have advised, just walk! Follow the yellow arrows, shells and your fellow pilgrims. It's really that simple. Will it really change your decision to do the Camino or dramatically impact your Camino experience if GPS, apps and gadgetry tell you the route is few steps less or more than what the guidebooks say?

And I thought I tended to overthink my Camino prior to going by obsessing over which shoes to buy.... Sheesh!
Wanderer64, which boots did you go with? I bought Vasque boots and believe I have fallen in love with them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ahhhhh, several of my hiking friends also have a similar affair with their Vasque boots. Which model? Breeze?
LOL Yep, Breeze 2.0! That made me feel so much better. I was beginning to question my sanity. REI is probably the coolest store EVER! I not only adore my boots, but my Wig Wam socks are the best things I have ever bought for myself. Never in my life have I paid so much for boots, but quite honestly I never would have thought to pay $16 for a single pair of socks! But now I own 5 pair. LOL

So which pair did you go with?

LOL Yep, Breeze 2.0! That made me feel so much better. I was beginning to question my sanity. REI is probably the coolest store EVER! I not only adore my boots, but my Wig Wam socks are the best things I have ever bought for myself. Never in my life have I paid so much for boots, but quite honestly I never would have thought to pay $16 for a single pair of socks! But now I own 5 pair. LOL

So which pair did you go with?

I have had good luck with La Sportiva re: fit and they recently came out with these;
La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX Boot - Men's
La Sportiva
I have only put about 100 miles on them so far, but I'm liking them.
RE: Socks
I always go with Vermont Darn Tough merino wool hiking socks. Similar price and their replacement guarantee is rock solid.
Only 5 prs? LOL Can't have enough quality socks. Just don't carry them all at one time! Jim

I have had good luck with La Sportiva re: fit and they recently came out with these;
La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX Boot - Men's
La Sportiva
I have only put about 100 miles on them so far, but I'm liking them.
RE: Socks
I always go with Vermont Darn Tough merino wool hiking socks. Similar price and their replacement guarantee is rock solid.
Only 5 prs? LOL Can't have enough quality socks. Just don't carry them all at one time! Jim
This is my first pair of actual hiking boots and the socks have been experiments. I had no idea what it was like to have the perfect boot. But trust me, the whole perfect sock thing came as a huge surprise! I tried the Thorlo brand of socks at REI, but they did not work in the boot. Good for other stuff, just not with my boots. I will be checking out the Vermont Darn Tough brand tho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dawn, funny enough, after trying out several boots and shoes, I ended up sticking with my 3-yr-old worn down pair of Vasque Breeze because they never gave me blisters, fit well and I felt they still had a few hundred KM left in them. One of those "go with what you know" decisions. I did buy a pair of low cut Patagonia Drifter shoes as backups. The two pairs worked really well for me. I really liked having he high cut boots for more rugged up-down terrain, and the low cuts were very good for flatter terrain.

Dawn, funny enough, after trying out several boots and shoes, I ended up sticking with my 3-yr-old worn down pair of Vasque Breeze because they never gave me blisters, fit well and I felt they still had a few hundred KM left in them. One of those "go with what you know" decisions. I did buy a pair of low cut Patagonia Drifter shoes as backups. The two pairs worked really well for me. I really liked having he high cut boots for more rugged up-down terrain, and the low cuts were very good for flatter terrain.
Good plan! I can honestly say that without my high cut Breeze yesterday, I would have broken my ankle and I was just in a grocery store parking lot. As it stands, its just my knee and shoulder that are a bit tweeked. My first thought tho was, How do I plan to Walk the Camino if I can't make it across the damn parking lot!?!?!?! LOL

Good plan! I can honestly say that without my high cut Breeze yesterday, I would have broken my ankle and I was just in a grocery store parking lot. As it stands, its just my knee and shoulder that are a bit tweeked. My first thought tho was, How do I plan to Walk the Camino if I can't make it across the damn parking lot!?!?!?! LOL

Glad you survived the parking lot! I broke in my new boots in a similar fashion. Walking the dog when a long shoelace caught on the other boot's lacing. Fell about 15 feet downhill. Zia, my dog, was as confused as much as I was. No injuries, just embedded gravel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is my first pair of actual hiking boots and the socks have been experiments. I had no idea what it was like to have the perfect boot. But trust me, the whole perfect sock thing came as a huge surprise! I tried the Thorlo brand of socks at REI, but they did not work in the boot. Good for other stuff, just not with my boots. I will be checking out the Vermont Darn Tough brand tho.

Congrats! Sounds like you have the most critical gear, socks & shoes, wired. The rest of the gear is a piece of cake.
I'm fully packed with a wt. of 12 lbs. Did I mention I'm not leaving for 11 months ?! Ooooops...

Congrats! Sounds like you have the most critical gear, socks & shoes, wired. The rest of the gear is a piece of cake.
I'm fully packed with a wt. of 12 lbs. Did I mention I'm not leaving for 11 months ?! Ooooops...
I'm leaving Leon on Sept 3rd. I don't have the time off work to be able to do the whole thing. So I have to start in Leon. But I can totally live with that. The Camino will be there when I want to go again.

Glad you survived the parking lot! I broke in my new boots in a similar fashion. Walking the dog when a long shoelace caught on the other boot's lacing. Fell about 15 feet downhill. Zia, my dog, was as confused as much as I was. No injuries, just embedded gravel.
It was crazy!!!! I'm not that graceful, but jeez even for me that was bad.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm leaving Leon on Sept 3rd. I don't have the time off work to be able to do the whole thing. So I have to start in Leon. But I can totally live with that. The Camino will be there when I want to go again.

Bingo!

That´s the real truth. The Camino will always be there so don´t rush it if you can. Just enjoy it, every moment of it.
Hope you have a great walk.:)

Buen Camino!

Beatrice ..........i reckon its a highway out there .
No need for anything but the accommodation list for the upcoming towns.
Well on CF i think I went lost 1 time and was unsure of the way a couple of times. I tend to get lost in my thoughts and all of a sudden I have no idea if I have followed the arrows or not. I also walk quite fast so I seldom had other pilgrims a head of me to follow.

My wife has a garmin, I usually walk with ann app on my foon,
She is also running official half marathons with the garmin, the garmin seems te be very exact on distances. She also nearly always has more km's on her garmin than most of the guidebooks.
When I use my foonapp, I do have approx 5-7% more km's the she has.

So...I am always counting that the truth is half way my guidebook and my foonapp.

By the way, if you compare guidebooks too, they also seem to give different distances....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You're not the only one Dawn - That reminds me of a young German woman I met on a camino who had a similar accident on that rocky stretch coming down from the Alto de Perdon. The loop on her lace on one boot caught on the metal lace holder of the other boot. I met her after she had tumbled butt over tea kettle down the hill. Her face was battered up as if she had been fighting a bear and she was sore from head to toe. I felt so badly for her because it all happened so quickly and she was a strong, healthy walker. Ever since then I have been sure to fold my socks down over the top of my boots so those metal thingies can't catch on anything. Those are the nasty little accidents that can happen unexpectedly on the camino as it's so easy to forget to be careful when we're walking all day. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back