• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Skipping a Day or 2

Kez

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving late August, flying into Barcelona, long held dream to walk Camino SJPP to Santiago! Piecing together plans-so excited/slightly terrified
I recently had a fall on the Camino, now I have to make-up or skip at least 2 days, it's difficult but is there one or two spots in particular there's not much to see etc. it's hard but I'm throwing it out to the forum, any advice appreciated & weighed up, I am currently in Najera .....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no right answer to this, or anything even close to consensus! I suggest either:
  1. Do your catch-up plan right away, and bus into Burgos. That would give you 3-4 days so you'd still have some leeway in your schedule in case you need it. It would save you the tedious walk into the city. And it would give you another day of semi-rest.
  2. Or just keep walking without worrying about the time, yet. By the time you get to Leon, you might find that you have gained or lost more time, so whatever your make-up action is, it can be done all at once.

I would post pone that decision. Rest, get better, walk and if time really gets tight and you want to do the last 100km to Santiago - bus ahead to Sarria. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There is no right answer to this, or anything even close to consensus! I suggest either:
  1. Do your catch-up plan right away, and bus into Burgos. That would give you 3-4 days so you'd still have some leeway in your schedule in case you need it. It would save you the tedious walk into the city. And it would give you another day of semi-rest.
  2. Or just keep walking without worrying about the time, yet. By the time you get to Leon, you might find that you have gained or lost more time, so whatever your make-up action is, it can be done all at once.
Thanks so much, I was thinking Burgos, big cities don't appeal!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Kez welcome to the fallen brigade.
It happens.
I fell badly coming out of Logrono and somehow kept walking to Najera...then had a series of quite short days until Belorado. (I really shouldn't have gone that far on day 1, but was running on adrenaline.)

As others have said, I wouldn't decide just yet. If it turns out that you have to skip anything, what to skip is so personal. Some people hate the Meseta but I wouldn't miss a single step of it. Others love cities and would jump ahead, but I'd pass...just 2 examples.
You know yourself, we can only give our multifarious opinions. ;)

So here's mine: as you're not a city person, you could get transport from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon, then Leon to Astorga, making up 2-3 days. Or a train from Sahagun to Leon or even all the way to Astorga, jumping ahead 3-5 days.

Thanks so much, I was thinking Burgos, big cities don't appeal!
Just back home from walk from SJPP to Burgos. Also had to skip two days. I would have skipped walk between Santo Domingo and Belorado - it was next to a big road all day. I would also skip entering Burgos = industrial area But I would not skip Burgos - nicest bigger place I've been to. I loved Burgos, not otherwise prefering big places.

Yes this is a tough decision especially if you were commited to every step. Yet I am sure by now you have met other injured pilgrims who just roll with what they must do. I would skip Belorado & pick up the walk from Burgose. No matter what I hope you let your inner voice help guide you.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recently had a fall on the Camino, now I have to make-up or skip at least 2 days, it's difficult but is there one or two spots in particular there's not much to see etc. it's hard but I'm throwing it out to the forum, any advice appreciated & weighed up, I am currently in Najera .....
Some wonderful answers, but none go to the heart of your question. I am still wondering how one skips a day or two. I have generally found that days are rather boring, and follow each other with regular monotony, unless I am flying back to Australia from Europe. If you do find out how, I would love to know. I am particularly interested if you can also find out how to identify the boring days in anticipation, so they can be targeted by your day-skipping technique.

as you're not a city person, you could get transport from Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon, then Leon to Astorga, making up 2-3 days. Or a train from Sahagun to Leon or even all the way to Astorga, jumping ahead 3-5 days.
Having walked the CF if I had to skip any large section it would likely be Sahagun to Astorga. But I would not miss Leon. Take a bus or train to Leon and spend at least a few hours there before moving on to Astorga. Magnificent gothic cathedrals are a dime a dozen in Europe :D but do not miss the Royal Pantheon at the Basilica of San Isidoro sometimes called the "Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art.")

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back