• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Skipping Biarritz is a mortal sin!!!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Flew into Biarritz airport today and staying in the heart of Biarritz before starting our walk. THIS PLACE IS STUNNING!!!! Shame on all of you who rave from the airport to the bus station to SJPdP!!! And yes, I realize that time is limited, but I also realize that WHERE you start can be changed and I highly recommend you spend a day in beautiful Biarritz. Beach, surfing, mussels and fries, etc. — it’s really an amazing town.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m currently doing the Camino and finishing Friday staying in biarrits Saturday and Sunday before my flight home Monday, any recommendations on what to do and where to stay ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hotel Le Saphir is a simple but quaint place in the middle of the town, an easy walk to the three main beaches, Norte Dame church, and most of the restaurants. Biarritz offers little more than great food, drink, and killer ocean views...everything you need post-Camino as well as pre-Camino (and daily!) Plenty of hotels right on the water, too. Booking.com or similar shows them all.

As for why a “mortal sin”? It’s a blasphemy against God to not appreciate the beauty of his creation manifested as such as a place as the southern French coastline! (Plus don’t forget that Eastern Orthodoxy defines that term differently than Roman Catholicism....). Buen Camino! 👍

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just ask BIarritzDon. He lived there for some years and still owns a small flat in town... Long story, but he DOES have skin in the game...

I visited there in 2014 and stayed several days at his place. BIarritz is definitely worthy of a visit. Not on a Camino per se, it is adjacent to the train station at Bayonne, from which you can easily get to St. Jean Pied de Port. It is also just over the border from Irun, gateway to the Camino del Norte.

I have visited Biarritz every year since my first Camino 2013. It has a fantastic atmosphere and relaxed feeling.

Staying in July again started using Airbnb it gives you more freedom and is reasonable for longer stays .

I fully agree with Vacajoe I would not commit a mortal sin and have it on my spotless record so far , open those pearly gates I am on my final Camino. .😇

I’m currently doing the Camino and finishing Friday staying in biarrits Saturday and Sunday before my flight home Monday, any recommendations on what to do and where to stay ?
Some of the best tapas bars on the Basque Coast are located around the marche, so are some of the friendliest bars in the world. There is a breathtaking oudoor bar a little south of the marche which once was called, Cents Marches for the 100+ steps it sits above the beach, it is great place for sunset. Many fine restaurants but my plug would be for Tantina de Burgos, fantastic grilled seafood and steaks and don't miss the chiperon, grilled calamari with a dusting of Piment d'Espelette. Blue Cargo a little father down the beach is great, too. Try the oyster selections in the fish market at the marche, 6 oysters from Arachon with a glass of white wine for 6 euros. There are some fun places to eat around the old port also.
Le Petit Hotel is nice and near all of the acitivity.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have visited Biarritz every year since my first Camino 2013. It has a fantastic atmosphere and relaxed feeling.

Staying in July again started using Airbnb it gives you more freedom and is reasonable for longer stays .

I fully agree with Vacajoe I would not commit a mortal sin and have it on my spotless record so far , open those pearly gates I am on my final Camino. .😇
Who says?

.... Not on a Camino per se, it is adjacent to the train station at Bayonne, from which you can easily get to St. Jean Pied de Port. It is also just over the border from Irun, gateway to the Camino del Norte.
Oh, but it is on the Camino. It's called Via de Bayonna ;)

And one more thing. Just over the border from Irun is a town called Hendaye, not Biarritz.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Avoided rain so far, but a storm is set to hit shortly. Our waiter shrugged and said, “Well, it is Basque Country!” Swam in the icy water, had the best crepe in my life at the Halles, and are headed to seafood dinner shortly based biarritzdon’s suggestions. 👍. Our Camino starts tomorrow.

Oh, but it is on the Camino. It's called Via de Bayonna ;)

And one more thing. Just over the border from Irun is a town called Hendaye, not Biarritz.

You are correct. I would have been more correct to state that it was a short train or bus ride away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, as we just discovered... 😵. And a storm is hitting as I type, so we are off to find something open and dry! The market hall this morning, though, was fantastic. As was the several beach front bars we have visited....

It’s truly a treat to be here and I hope that more people choose to get over jet lag here for a day rather than rushing off to SJPdP.

C6E288D2-01C7-46E4-AE91-A5B1746106CA.jpeg

Keep it a secret please, that's what we Biarrot would like.
I bought there just to deter friends from thinking I had a free couch to crash on in France.
The G7 had a meeting there this week and everyone was scared shitless about what kind of damage might occur from the yellow vests protesters, so far so good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are mortals, yes? And we sin, no? Eastern Orthodoxy says any sin you don’t repent is a mortal sin, so I’m good with that! 👍. In my own “relifion” though, any time you don’t simply reflect on the miracle that is your life and your surroundings is a mortal sin, so you decide... (PS: I am the great grandson of a Portuguese priest, so I might skew a bit liberal on these things!). Buen Camino to all! Don’t get caught up in the semantics; enjoy the fruits of man’s labors in God’s vineyards instead.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There was a really good small Mexican food restaurant there last year !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As for why a “mortal sin”? It’s a blasphemy against God to not appreciate the beauty of his creation manifested as such as a place as the southern French coastline! (Plus don’t forget that Eastern Orthodoxy defines that term differently than Roman Catholicism....). Buen Camino! 👍
Mortal sin or not, I am adding Biarritz to my list. Why not? So Much to see and do, or just appreciate from a lovely view at a cafe table!

Bring a swimsuit, the ocean is divine!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back